Tinnitus News

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Damocles, Jan 29, 2022.

1. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      I listen to Eddie Trunk. In yesterday's podcast he talks about having tinnitus approx 10 years back and luckily habituated. How it can drive you batty. He talks about Paul Gilbert and how it is no joke. Nonsense about macho metal musician who say if you have to use hearing protection, you are weak or too old.

• Like Like x 2
    2. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I have seen videos of James Hetfield (Metallica) taking his daughter to the stage on a live concert and she was wearing earmuffs.

And Lars Ulrich (Metallica's drummer) also wears hearing protection when practising or performing live. Apparently he has bad tinnitus, but continues playing.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      I wish I knew how. Because even with protection, I had a bad reaction. Vibrations from what I understand. That was just when I played to tracks. Never mind jamming with other loud musicians.

I hope they do figure out why some suffer, habituate, or best not bothered by it @ all.

4. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      That old school mentality died out a while back. People are far more hearing savvy nowadays and they tend to listen to mixes at lower levels in the studio as well. The last producer I worked with had earplugs on a key fob incase he had to go into the live room.

I always liked this quote from CJ on the Tinnitus Talk Podcast page:

CD856906-692A-45E5-BCED-62CC8141490E.jpeg

While I was there I saw this as well which is what I just mentioned above:

F03FF850-97CC-4AA2-A01C-448C3900CB27.jpeg
      This may be a thing, but I don’t think it is. Everyone is very open about their fucked up hearing from my experience; it’s not hidden at all, and there are plenty of interviews both on film and in print where artists talk about their hearing issues in detail. It’s usually just a case of whether they are asked about it or not.
      I can’t say I’ve noticed this much either. If someone fucks up their hands, shoulders, or some other part of their body that they need to play, then they are usually pretty vocal about it. It’s no different to a sports star saying they’ve got an injury or niggling problem.

5. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      How do these people cope with "bad tinnitus"? I am sure that if they suffered that badly, they would publicise their torment - or would if they were concerned about preserving others from this.

Personally, I think that if an accomplished performer has tinnitus that is not particularly intrusive (aware of it, annoying at times, but not particularly limiting), and they do not have to worry about earning a living, they could afford to quietly go about their business, looking for something to help, but not feeling the need to raise public awareness of the issue. Some could continue to record/practise, taking precautions and doing what else they can to make things a little easier; perhaps work towards habituation, drink, take drugs.

I don't care either way, though it is a shame that this condition is not massively publicised by those that have such a platform to do so.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I have read interviews with musicians and they said they had hidden these problems, and only give interviews when they retire or are about to retire, or rich enough not to care about it...

However, there are tons of musicians who tour with big bands but are not on regular payroll. They need to work, and they hide all these conditions, issues with their hands, and hearing issues, because even if they can adapt and play, other musicians do not want to hire them to play in their bands.

They want to hire someone who is in perfect shape to play.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I agree with this and used to question why famous people weren’t more outwardly vocal about it. It’s the same across the board, though, and no matter what industry people work in and whether they are famous or not, nobody seems interested in creating awareness about it. It’s just one of those things.
      There could be some truth to this, I don’t know, and I’m not gonna pretend to be a purveyor of all things music. I’ve just never noticed it myself or heard others talk in this way. Usually, if someone has a problem, they just tell you as one’s reputation is far more important in the long run, and if you’re playing like shit because of an injury, then I’d rather admit to the injury then blame it on my playing.

When my tinnitus worsened, I told everyone straight away about it; I put it out there on the grapevine so to speak. But, I was still getting calls all the time asking if I’d dep for someone or work with their band, etc. Basically, it didn’t stop people trying to hire me even though they knew I was fucked. I suppose it was both heart-warming and annoying at the same time. Musicians are highly networked beasts, and when you get to know people who are good, and reliable, you tend to go after them as there’s a lot of time wasters out there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Spot on.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Exit

Exit Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Those musicians have good genes.

If not, they would never been able to play after 5 years since they started in some crappy garage facility.

I know a drummer with mild tinnitus.

Got it at a very bad gig situation 20 years ago. Improved in about 6 months.

Always earplugs since then. No issues so far.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Those musicians don't tell others about their hearing or hands problems because there is a prejudice about it and others do not want to play with them.

It is not a matter of not being able to play properly. It has to do with prejudice and suspicion by others of a diminished ability to play, or a change in the way they play guitar for instance, due to that muscle and tendon problem I referred to before...

11. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I’ve never come across prejudice of this nature before, and it’s not something I’ve ever heard being discussed. Musicians tend to surround themselves with people they trust, and friendships are often built. If someone is struggling, it would usually be a case of, “let us know when you’re better.” Dep players can be used in your absence.

I’ve been out for 7 years, but I could join a band tomorrow or do session work if I wanted to. The door never closes. That’s why I don’t understand the logic behind the injury idea. If one is genuinely in a bad place then they would be better off not playing. At the moment, I'm happy just teaching.

Bear in mind, this is just my experience. You could have a point as we have to contend with different countries and cultures.

12. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      I was that drummer with mild tinnitus lol. Seriously stable straight tone tinnitus Is a fart in the wind. I’m willing to bet most musicians have that kind. Your tinnitus doesn’t even get louder after playing, or if it does, it’s just momentarily. If musicians had noise pain or distortions while playing, with erratic tinnitus waking them through the night they would all quit.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    13. NYCGuy
      Depressed

NYCGuy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck, Jaw or Stress, who knows.
      Lower glutamate and GABA levels in auditory cortex of tinnitus patients: a 2D-JPRESS MR spectroscopy study

A main focus of the loss-of-inhibition hypothesis in tinnitus is the role of γ-amino butyric acid (GABA), an inhibitory neurotransmitter, which, among others, is responsible for maintaining the balance between excitation and inhibition. Furthermore, GABA is found at many levels of the auditory pathway. Insufficient inhibition due to lower concentration, altered distribution in the tissue, or changed receptor density or affinity of GABA could thus be a cornerstone in the development of tinnitus.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-07835-8

• Informative Informative x 2
    14. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. UKBloke
      No Mood

UKBloke Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / family history
      • Winner Winner x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    16. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. Exit

Exit Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      • Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    18. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      • Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    19. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      "The application of low frequency, repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation initiates inhibitory cortical mechanisms, resulting in a down-regulation of Glu in the auditory cortex of the left hemisphere and a significant reduction in tinnitus loudness levels."

True?

• Good Question Good Question x 3
    20. Cernuto
      Spaced

Cernuto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    21. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      93532E5F-CFFD-47D2-839C-D87F762D2996.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 4
      • Informative Informative x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    22. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      The Last of Us Remake (10/10 superb btw) is the latest upcoming video game to have the option to remove tinnitus sounds.

62044803-15BC-41F3-8D0C-5F81611A7649.jpeg

PlayStation Studios is pretty much the only division in the industry that seems to care about this kind of stuff. Expanded accessibility options just keep getting better and better.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    23. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      • Informative Informative x 1
    24. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      That Elon Musk is priceless as a clown...

I would like to bet with him a modest sum, within my means, because I believe he will not be able to cure tinnitus in 5 years. No way.

25. ThomasF
      Creative

ThomasF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably loud music
      Elon Musk, being detached from the woes of the average person, I can't help but feel he doesn't really think Neuralink is going to succeed out of anything more than trying to inflate his short term wealth. I hope Neuralink will work, but I just don't have confidence in the man acting as its voice.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    26. ThomasF
      Creative

ThomasF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably loud music
      • Like Like x 4
    27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Damocles
      No Mood

Damocles Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      My earache was actually a potentially fatal maggot infestation (nypost.com)

Jam_Press_JMP262255.jpg

• Informative Informative x 3
    28. UKBloke
      No Mood

UKBloke Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / family history
      • Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Damocles
      No Mood

Damocles Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      • Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    30. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      In very recent news, this is an article about a possible link between COVID-19 shots and tinnitus.

Possible links between Covid shots and tinnitus emerge
      People who have developed life-altering ringing in their ears after Covid vaccinations demand deeper investigation into this potential side effect.

• Like Like x 2