Tinnitus Safe Antibiotics for Pneumonia? Doctor Prescribed Erythromycin — Should I Use Amoxicillin?

Discussion in 'Support' started by UrbanBubblegum, Nov 3, 2019.

1. UrbanBubblegum
      Bugridden

UrbanBubblegum Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HP-bacteria treatments
      Hi,

So, I got bacterial pneumonia and ER prescribed Ery-Max 250 MG x 4 times a day for 10 days.

Checked this forum and see scary stories related to erythromycin. I don’t know what do to. Getting worse and worse...

Can Amoxicillin be used safely instead?

2. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I've taken amoxicillin many times. I'm on it now actually for a dental problem. Never had any effect on my hearing.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      UrbanBubblegum
      Bugridden

UrbanBubblegum Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HP-bacteria treatments
      Thanks. They did not do any testing in the ER, and the doctor seemed really stressed and just wanted me out the door ASAP. He said Ery-Max is the best option for asymptomatic pneumonia since I’m allergic to Tetras (doxycyclin etc).

I called back later in the evening and then another doctor said Amoxicillin and Penicillin V (Apocillin) would also work, and I could choose whatever I wanted. He prescribed Amoxicillin over the phone.

Since they have not tested the actual bacteria, and the first doctor said he think it is asymptomatic - and according to Google Amoxicillin does not treat that - but the second doctor was more like «whatever» - I am confused and don’t know what to do.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      UrbanBubblegum
      Bugridden

UrbanBubblegum Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HP-bacteria treatments
      Decided to visit private healthcare. Did cost me a lot. They ran some tests, and I will know by wednesday. Fortunately, this Doc was quite understanding towards my concerns over increased T and hearing loss.

Blood work showed increased infection in the last 24 hrs. So I guess the bed is the right place for me. FML...:(

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      UrbanBubblegum
      Bugridden

UrbanBubblegum Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HP-bacteria treatments
      Ended up getting worse quite rapidly. Got in touch with the Doc, and got greenlight for Amoxicillin. Just started.
      Hope for the best both for my pneumonia and T!:sick:

7. Svg

Svg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi Urban,

Hope you are feeling better. Can you advise on how the course of antibiotics went? Did you see a spike? I too have to get on antibiotics this week for an infection but I’ve been delaying it because I’m worried.

8. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      Amoxicillin should be fine. That and azithromycin are prescribed most often for pneumonia. The latter could affect tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      UrbanBubblegum
      Bugridden

UrbanBubblegum Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HP-bacteria treatments
      Hello, sorry I never got an alert on my thread. The course went just fine. However, now I am struggling with Sinus infection. First got Azitromax which spiked my T to hell (see my newer thread), then got Apocillin which gave me nerve pain (just unfortunate I guess). Now back on Amoxicillin. So we will see.

was offered Ery-Max but I’m not risking mycin again.

10. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Sorry to hear about your troubles. Amoxicillin seems to be to the go to antibiotic when tinnitus is concerned.

I myself was on amoxicillin for 5 days for a tooth infection 2.5 weeks ago, no problems at all with no effects on my T. Unfortunately due to delayed treatment of the tooth (still need a root canal) the tooth pain came back, so I was prescribed a second course of amoxicillin on Friday. Bizarrely only a day into the second course of antibiotics I developed a widespread itchy rash all over my body! Out of hours GP told me it was an allergic reaction to the amoxicillin!?

Was told to quit using the antibiotic and avoid it in the future, now I’m left with toothache once again and the least riskiest antibiotic for tinnitus is no longer an option! Very worrying! :(

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      UrbanBubblegum
      Bugridden

UrbanBubblegum Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HP-bacteria treatments
      @mick1987 did you have a visable rash?

I am just generally itchy, no visable rash/bumps that are itchy. Anyway, I was told my reaction was safe to continue Penc.
      I am truely sorry if yours not the case. I guess if I were in your shoes I’d take an ototoxic abx if the alternative was... well to die...

12. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yeah, the rash was quite dramatic, red flat blotchy marks everywhere! I suppose the amoxicillin could have side effects (itching etc) which would be fine to continue the course, but the rash that developed for me looked like a typical cause of an allergy and because it would be quite risky staying on the drug due to possible severe complications (breathing difficulties) that can arise, better safe than sorry to stop taking it.

But of course if it was a life or death situation, even intravenous antibiotics with the strongest ototoxic effects, there would be no hesitation.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      UrbanBubblegum
      Bugridden

UrbanBubblegum Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HP-bacteria treatments
      yeah, you are right. That is an allergic reaction. Doxycycline might be an option if you tolerate it. I am allergic to tetras.

14. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Possibly, never taken it before personally. Unfortunately from what I’ve read taking any antibiotic outside of the penicillin family can be a bit of a crapshoot.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      UrbanBubblegum
      Bugridden

UrbanBubblegum Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HP-bacteria treatments
      So, I’ve shared that I struggle with pneumonia (now possibly recurring) and sinus infection (I’m slightly better but still got it).

I have tried treating both with Amoxicillin 500 mg x 3 for 10 days for pneumonia and now 7 days for Sinus infection (2 days left on this course).

About three days ago I woke up with a cough, and my lungs/back hurt slightly and my mucus is thicker than normal.

I got Azithromycin (Z-pak) for the Sinus infection at first. Took one pill and my tinnitus spiked to hell. Spike is still on after one week - thanks doc.

I am allergic to: Tetracyclines (Doxy), and Cinolones (Ciprofloxacin, Levofloxacin etc) and Trimetoprim.

So what the f... am I left with? I have Ery-Max 250 mg at home.

Any tips are welcome. Fear I have to do Macrolides now due to allergies:cry:

16. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I would really emphasize to your doctor that macrolides spiked your tinnitus badly, they may be able to give you something else.

There are probably even cephalosporins you could still take even with your problem with Apocillin and Amoxicillin (ask your doctor and pharmacist--if you are in the US you can call a pharmacist directly and ask general drug questions. Not sure about elsewhere.) or other antibiotics. Ask for them to factor that in to their plan for addressing your pneumonia. If it ends up being the only thing they can give you effectively you may be in a bind but maybe you can take lots of anti oxidants to minimize the damage.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      UrbanBubblegum
      Bugridden

UrbanBubblegum Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HP-bacteria treatments
      So, unfortunately due to allergy to tetracyclines (incl. Doxy) I would have to take a Macrolide.

My pulmonary physician was very understanding but landed on Ery-Max. And not Azitromycin since I had a bad spike from that one a week ago.

Probably have to start in a few days. Here goes all or nothing. Hope for the best!

18. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I took erythromycin for pneumonia and it fixed me. This was when I had very mild T and it had no affect on my ears at that time. I would be cautious now I have severe T but it works very well for pnemonia. Orally should be ok. Intravenous would be risky but gentamycin is much more ototoxic than erythromycin and must never be taken if you have hearing problems unless it's a matter of life or death.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      UrbanBubblegum
      Bugridden

UrbanBubblegum Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HP-bacteria treatments
      Thank you @Tweaker . Just the sort of post I needed as a support now:) My pulmonary physician was very understanding and told me to wait see if I got worse during this week.

I had an x-ray today which I also will get the results from in a couple of days.

by the way @FGG I live in Norway not UK or US:)

20. ibeca

ibeca Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ciproflox or walking past an extremely loud jackhammer.
      Ask for a bloodtest to be sendt to screening. To check for penicillin allergy. I react like that if i exceed 5-6 days with amoxicillin. But I tolerate it if I am really careful and take it on time and dont mess up and forget one so i extend the course.
      I got my doctor to screen my blood for penicillin allergy. Because we were sure I had that. But it came back negative.