Tinnitus Seriously Louder After Massage Around Jaw and Face

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Freebird, May 17, 2022.

1. Freebird

Freebird Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly TMJD
      Hi everyone.

About 13 years ago I had a problem with TMJD. Around the same time I developed tinnitus. After an initial flare up the tinnitus calmed down and reached a level where it was very much in the background and didn't really trouble me.

In September 2020 I had a massage done which included some work around my face and jaw. That night the tinnitus was screaming at a level I've never experienced before and the muscles near my jaw felt inflamed. It has been ongoing with the tinnitus ever since. Sometimes it almost disappears overnight, then reappears at different levels. It's like a high pitched noise with a slight waver to it. If I push my jaw forward it increases the sound.

I've always thought the TMJ and the tinnitus were connected. I'm not sure if a massage would cause this extreme a reaction otherwise? The tinnitus has overall calmed since immediately after the massage but can still be loud at times.

One thing I've been told is I have a lot of earwax, which I've actually booked a microsuction appointment this week to have removed. I'm obviously quite nervous about this and the chance it could make the tinnitus worse. I'm not sure if a massage could have moved some of the earwax and aggravated the tinnitus.

Not sure if anyone has had a similar experience or could offer any insight.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. makeyourownluck
      Magical

makeyourownluck Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sorry to hear of your worsening, I don’t know much about TMJD, but wanted to say hello :) and also warn you...
      I would cancel this appointment and ask for manual cleaning. Many people on this forum got their tinnitus from microsuction. It’s pretty loud.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Freebird

Freebird Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly TMJD
      Thanks for your reply. Yes, I've definitely been worried about the microsuction process. It's actually a clinic that lists manual removal among their options. That definitely sounds like a better choice!

I'll certainly speak to them about that and ask for that option if it's available. I need to use earplugs for aspects of my job but that's difficult at the moment as it would risk pushing the wax in further... bit of a dilemma!

4. makeyourownluck
      Magical

makeyourownluck Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I believe manual cleaning takes longer than microsuction, so it might be a good idea to phone ahead of your appointment to make sure it is pencilled in.

I hope everything goes well.

5. DimLeb

DimLeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic Cochleopathy or Maybe Loud Music
      I can't help much, as I don't have much experience with TMJD and tinnitus. Except only that I myself have that: clenching one side of teeth or moving my jaw towards the other side, reduces the volume of one of my tones (cicadas/air exhaust sound) that is on that side's ear almost completely.

Anyway, I suggest you insist on manual earwax removal. Most people don't have any problems with microsuction, but the volume is like earbuds on full blast for the duration, so you should avoid that. I'm lucky I found one neuro-otologist who FINALLY admitted that she prefers not to use microsuction on people with tinnitus as to not worsen them.

Manual removal has a slight risk of making you feel a bit of pain or discomfort because the ear canal's walls are way too sensitive, but really the procedure felt quicker than microsuction when I had mine last time (and if the doctor is a bit skilled). And I got too much earwax production as well.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Freebird

Freebird Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly TMJD
      Thank you, I'll do that. Will let you know how it goes!

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Freebird

Freebird Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly TMJD
      That's really good advice, thanks. I will ask for manual removal as it does say on their website that they give a choice of treatments.

When I've been putting olive oil in to soften the wax, my ears have felt more blocked and the tinnitus tone has changed so I'm hoping there's a chance it will at least improve the tinnitus after removing the wax. Will let you know how it goes!

8. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      I would cancel the microsuction. There are so many people on this site who have had horrible experiences and either got tinnitus or had a huge exacerbation of their tinnitus afterwards. I would ask the ENT to kick it old school and use the old fashion currette to pull it out.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Freebird

Freebird Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly TMJD
      Thanks, definitely going to go for that option now. Sounds like the safest choice by far. Hoping it will make a difference.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Freebird

Freebird Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly TMJD
      Hi everyone,

Well, I had my appointment with the audiologist. He was a really understanding guy who suffered from tinnitus himself. I asked about the manual removal but he explained the wax was so close to my eardrum that it wasn't really an option.

He suggested microsuction and we talked about it for at least half an hour, all the pros and cons. Because of my tinnitus he said he could put the machine on the very lowest suction to reduce noise. He also let me hear the sound to test the volume. And then we went ahead with the treatment...

It was actually fine. The suction was a bit noisy but certainly not loud and didn't last too long. I'd used olive oil for a couple of weeks which helped.

Overall, it has improved my tinnitus. I still have the same pattern, where it tends to flare up and calm down but it has definitely taken the edge off it and it doesn't reach the really obtrusive heights it did before. I'm still aware of it on certain days, of course, but it doesn't bother me as much.

So, overall it was a positive experience for me. I know this wouldn't necessarily be the right treatment for everyone but it's interesting that the accumulation of earwax can definitely exacerbate tinnitus.

11. Cory_
      Inactive

Cory_ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / TMJ / Paracetamol / Alcohol / COVID vax / VSS / ????
      The Good Ending

• Like Like x 2
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Freebird

Freebird Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly TMJD
      Yes, definitely. It's gone from being something I'm constantly aware of, to something I can at least switch off from a lot of the time.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Damocles
      No Mood

Damocles Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      Still not the kind of happy ending I have in mind after a massage...

ukno.png

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    14. AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused

AnthonyMcDonald Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I'm glad you turned out okay, but people really shouldn't be getting microsuctions. I know way too many sufferers who had their tinnitus worsen to catastrophic levels because of it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Freebird

Freebird Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly TMJD
      Haha, different type of suction altogether!

• Like Like x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Freebird

Freebird Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly TMJD
      Sure, I was definitely aware of that and cautious. Think I was fortunate to get someone so understanding, that took the time to make sure the process was as quick and quiet as possible.