Tinnitus So Intrusive It's Hard to Follow Conversations?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ava Lugo, Nov 18, 2020 at 7:22 PM.

?

Does tinnitus make it hard for you to follow conversations?

1. Yes

2. Sometimes

3. Never

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Ava Lugo
      Crappy

Ava Lugo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/03/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      I have tinnitus so intrusive, it will literally ring with every word spoken to me, so it's that bad.

It's been a year with this living nightmare and I'm so devastated. It's hard to watch TV or talk to someone.

Anyone else have this? If so, how do you deal with it?

I'm only 24 and before this garbage started I thought I had a future ahead of me and now it looks scarce... Only escape from this is sleep or alcohol and that's it.

How do others deal with this living hell?

• Hug Hug x 14
    2. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      Sorry you are suffering like this.

I heard of a couple of people whose tinnitus used to make conversation very hard during benzo withdrawal. For both it improved within 14 months. Are you taking any medications?

3. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Suffice it to say, I've been dealing with what you describe for a long time, particularly watching TV when tinnitus is bad. Just wanted you to know you're not alone.

• Hug Hug x 4
    4. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      So it's only bad when you're spoken to? Like reactive tinnitus?
      If so, just stay in silence 24/7.

5. Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      Tut tut Dan. That's not very helpful, is it. Cheeky. :sneaky:

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Actually it's very helpful, but very impractical.

• Funny Funny x 1
    7. Kel65

Kel65 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have the same problem during spikes. Sometimes I lose track of conversations with my husband and can’t watch a TV show. And I also go to drugs or alcohol and sleep to get thru it. Do you ever have periods of improvement or is it always the same?

I have finally started habituating a little, at nine months, so the conversation thing comes and goes now. This last week has been bad and worsening, which is why I’m here tonight.

So you are not alone and I’m sorry you are going thru this...

• Hug Hug x 2
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ava Lugo
      Crappy

Ava Lugo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/03/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      To tell you the truth there’s hasn’t been much improvement unfortunately. I really pray there will be some in the next year or two as I can’t live this way. It’s been going on for a year. It might be just a tiny bit better at times after resting my ears for an hour or so or when I wake up in the mornings but yeah after that I think I just get spiked during the day and the tinnitus is loudest at night. It competes with everything including voices even in the day time it’s just I think the worst at night. So when it’s hard for you to follow conversations is it like the tinnitus gets too distracting as if it’s like competing with every word being said? Another thing is I read your posts how you have days where your unaware of it. I always thought it can’t be severe if a person can be unaware of it cause I’m always aware of mine no matter what I do. I’d love to be in aware of it but I’ve only gone maybe 5 or 6 maybe 10 seconds at the most the entire year I had it when I was unaware of it but usually I’m only unaware of it a lot of times maybe 4 seconds twice a day...you said in a post that it’s loud and unmaskable so is it unmaskable everyday even though you have days where it’s less?

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. Poseidon65

Poseidon65 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Hugs to everyone who responded "Yes" or "Sometimes".

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    10. Lilah
      Supportive

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I struggle more in quiet environments (and with sleep). Whenever my tinnitus gets instrusive at work, I chat with a coworker as a form of distraction. During meetings, I don't think about my tinnitus. Watching TV also distracts me from the tinnitus, even though I can still hear it.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ava Lugo
      Crappy

Ava Lugo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/03/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      Consider yourself blessed you don’t have tinnitus disabling or debilitating enough to where it distracts from conversation. More than anything I’d like to be in the position where that doesn’t happen. I weep everyday for my mild maskable tinnitus that I was never aware of til sleeping.

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ava Lugo
      Crappy

Ava Lugo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/03/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      I don’t know what caused it honestly. I did take benzos like 4 months after my tinnitus became super reactive for what seems to be no reason. I know that I got a cold a year ago and while I was at work like a few days after the cold was going away, I heard a beep go off at work and I was hoping it was fleeting tinnitus but while it went down a little after a minute, it was still heard over everything the rest of the day and I was scared. The next day it went down but once I was around noise, reactive tinnitus started and never went away since.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ava Lugo
      Crappy

Ava Lugo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/03/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      I got questions for you. I read some of your posts and think in one you mentioned how you still enjoy and listen to music so how do you enjoy it with severe tinnitus? Is your tinnitus masked by music or something? It doesn't ride on top of the music? It never makes music sound distorted?

I wonder why when I listen to music even classical, it sounds distorted to me but others with severe tinnitus say they can listen to music just fine. I wonder why it sounds weird to me but not for others with severe tinnitus.

Maybe because their tinnitus is so high pitch it doesn't change the sound of music so much?

14. Psych
      Wishful

Psych Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm so sorry you're going through this. Mine has gone up today to where it is hard even to concentrate if there is no other noise, and that is many, many times throughout the day. I'm also going through some hormonal changes, which seem to be affecting it in different ways, making it worse. It's harder to listen to the TV, and it does seem to react to the sound. I'd never really heard of, or, at least, paid attention to the name "reactive tinnitus," but now I'm probably going to need to become an armchair expert! Hope you get some positive change soon.