Tinnitus, TMJ, Headaches, Neck Pain, Facial Pain, etc. — Possible Treatment

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by erik, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Cher2

Cher2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thanks Lane .....but for future reference, where do I look for these numbers? Still learning some things here I guess

2. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Thanks @Lane, but those post reference numbers that I gave, belongs on a different thread.

@Cher2, what are your concerns - maybe we can help.

Just read your introduction post - first post - "tinnitus started right after the I returned from the flight home. It has been difficult emotionally."

At times higher than normal atmospheric pressure when under stress can associate with central nervous system oxygen toxicity.

https://www.stylecraze.com/articles/best-ways-to-increase-oxygen-level-in-blood/
      @Lane - this is one of your areas of knowledge - oxygen therapy - ideas - vitamins ?

3. Peter Q

Peter Q Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have had tinnitus for over 10 years. In the past year of so I have developed cervical spondylosis and it seems to have exacerbated my tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Cher2

Cher2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @Greg Sacramento

Hello Greg:
      I am sorry that I completely missed your response to a post that I sent to @Lane, who has always been very helpful.

Here is what you wrote....
      Just read your introduction post - first post - "tinnitus started right after the I returned from the flight home. It has been difficult emotionally."

At times higher than normal atmospheric pressure when under stress can associate with central nervous system oxygen toxicity.

I am sure there were a number of factors that brought about my tinnitus. The plane ride that I referred to was a rushed trip because it was my Mom’s time. She died on my way to the assisted living facility where she had been staying.

So far, I have tried acupuncture, several of the supplements that I’ve read about here, and a mat that provides PEMF and near infrared light therapy.

Over time, my T has fluctuated, from difficult days to milder days, from the center of my head, to either the right or the left side. and from ringing to a more soft hissing.

I keep working at it!

Wanted to say thanks for responding:)

Cher2

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    5. Cher2

Cher2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @Lane...

Thanks.

Always enjoy reading your posts - you utilize so many alternative methods.

Happy New Year,
      Cher2

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Lane / @Greg Sacramento I have a story that I'm very interested to get your insight into, even if it's "WTF who knows that's weird linearb" --

About 8 weeks ago I developed pain above my rear right wisdom tooth, which I initially suspected to be dental. Dental x-rays normal, and the dentist said if it was dental it was probably coming from my TMJ. He thought this odd because it was unilateral and on the wrong side from most of my TMJ issues, but advised being better about using my splint and seeing where things went.

The pain remained, and developed -- and looking at pictures of the skull, I realized it was exactly following the paths of the trigeminal nerve. Constant headache around eye with stabbing in eye, frequent pain and sense of "electric travel" inside part of the side of my nose. Some symptoms of ocular migraine along with all this (visual anomalies).

At a certain point ~3 weeks ago the pain just "reminded me" of a shingles episode, so out of desperation I took some acyclovir, and started to feel better within 36 hours, so I booked a doctor's appointment. They said "weird, but try Valtrex". After 4 days of Valtrex the symptoms were basically gone, but I had a stressful day of travel and stuff and neglected the drug. It started to come back; I completed the Valtrex course, the pain went away and has stayed gone.

Hypothesis:
      * total coincidence -- I had some kind of inflammation, it cleared up
      * some valtrex-responsive pathogen (HSV, Zoster or Epstein-Barr) has infiltrated my TM nerve
      * some third option???

Any guesses? Unpleasant and weird and I don't especially like randomly taking strong courses of Valtex, on the other hand, things had been going on weeks before I started playing whack-a-mole with antivirals.

7. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @linearb -- Just a guess, but it sure sounds like a viral infection to me. -- My own perspective is that modern medicine is still in its infancy stages when it comes to understanding infections in the body. Some Lyme and tick-borne-infection (TBI) researchers believe there are as many as 300 different varieties of co-Lyme infections, though only about a half dozen to a dozen are currently identified. Lyme doctors will tell you that infections from 20-30 years ago were much easier to treat than today, and that infections today have more "co-infections" than they once did.

I think it's similar to viruses, where some are identified and somewhat understood (but not fully). And likely many more than are still to be identified, much less understood. -- I also think it's similar to oral cavity infections, which gets to your wondering whether your situation could possibly be something dental. I'm of the belief that many different kinds of focal infections can be present in our mouths, and the very latest and most sophisticated technologies still can't detect them. But can still create untold miseries.

At this point, I would say you did good by following your intuition to track down for yourself at least a temporary solution. I think it could very well be a permanent solution. One thing about herpes viruses of all kinds is that they can be triggered by stress. So I would recommend doing what you can to reduce stress, and look into supplements (such as nettles and other adaptogens) that can help calm and soothe the nervous system.

On a philosophical note: -- When looking at quandaries similar to what you describe, I try to use sort of a 2-pronged approach.

1) An analytical approach (scientific); combined with,

2) A reflective analytical approach. In the first, I try to gather as much information as I can, and let my mind look it over and chew on it to its heart's content. But this can have a downside if it's overly relied on. I think we've all noticed people who've done extensive research into something, only to come across as somewhat of a dunce by the conclusions they reach.

The second approach works synergistically with the first, which I feel lets me tune more into my intuition. Using the information gathered in step 1, I try to get my mind to "release it" so that I can then hopefully get a broader perspective. Sort of like going for a walk, and letting insights settle in while my mind is resting. And then I try to discern if my conclusions from both steps are in step with each other. When they are, it's when I settle into a comfort zone of feeling I'm on the right track. -- From somewhat of a spiritual perspective, I think a sense of humility is important when trying to get to the heart of any given puzzle.

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I have cervical spondylosis myself. I have kinda of a swirling noise in my head right now. It seemed primarily to come from my left ear or TMJ but after a chiro adjustment it turned into this nasty crap that’s extremely hard to live with.
      @Greg Sacramento, do you have any thoughts on this and if chiropractic adjustments can make things worse? I know you have your own problems to deal with. I go back and forth from TMD to neck issues and can’t get any consistent relief. It’s really frustrating. Maybe it’s mostly ear/brain and not related to my TMJ/neck? I could check with Caring Medical I suppose. I called them in the past and they mentioned C2 instability can cause tinnitus.

Then you mix in prescription meds to sleep, pain meds, and assorted supplements and you have big mess to try to figure out. Maybe I should look into Dr. Jay Hobbs again. He probably only does YouTube videos like Dr. Mandell.

9. Peter Q

Peter Q Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      As cervical spondylosis is a form of arthritis, it is interesting to listen to Dr. Murray Grossan in this video, where he mentions the connection between tinnitus and arthritis.

Dr. Grossan's Tinnitus Support Group -...

10. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cervical spondylosis with swirling noise. Most likely development was from a sudden injury. I have many medical articles about this and each one discusses different things that could had happened that can cause somatic or pulsatile tinnitus or both. Arteries - often the vertebral, carotid or jugular, C1 - C2 or lower discs and muscles, often the SCM may have involvement.

Here is just one article: This one does not discuss possible injury, but sudden pressure to the C spine causing muscle spasms tops the list. Manipulation to the neck, lifting the neck/head forward with force while in a reclining or sitting position and with turning head to the side are classic causes.

How cervical spine instability disrupts blood flow into the brain and causes many neurological problems – Caring Medical Florida

No one radiological test may show the problem or all the problems. A CT will often show at least some clues with somatic issues. Need to see your CT. Are you still using your chair bed? This could be of added concern.

11. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I may do a tele-consult with Dr. Grossan.

12. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cervical tinnitus, like cervical vertigo, is probably mainly due to alterations in brainstem structures involved with hearing, as a result of changes in cervical input. In other words, it is probably a variant of somatic tinnitus (Levine, 1999). In general, it is thought that cervical input can modulate hearing related neural structures in the brainstem (Shore et al, 2007). Cervical spondylosis is a form of arthritis that develops over years, but with most who experience swirling tinnitus, the camel's back was broken from muscle spasms due to pressure to the C spine or forcefully holding neck forward. Such as lifting neck off dental headrest and holding with mouth open. With this. the C spine has straighten completely and tilted the C1, placing pressure to arteries, muscles, nerves and cranial nerves. Swirling tinnitus is caused from upper spine pressure placed to arteries and nerves.

Before any neck therapy and especially in adjusting the C spine with swirling tinnitus, radiological exams are needed first to check arteries. The vertebral arteries that are blocked by the C spine can't be seen by MRI.

13. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Greg Sacramento

Thanks. Is swirling tinnitus an actual name? I used the word to describe my tinnitus last night. Luckily it changed to static today. Not that I like static but the swirling made me feel really weird, almost off balance.

14. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My noise just screams when I awaken from a nap. It’s only in my barotrauma and TMD left ear. Maybe TMJ surgery or try an auriculotemporal nerve block injection for now. I want it fixed right now, that’s the problem. It seems difficult to get someone to order an injection or to get an appointment with a TMJ surgeon.

15. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anyone heard of this? It doesn’t say it helps tinnitus but affects the trigeminal nerve somehow. If you had 2 of them you could use them as earplugs. Reviews on Amazon said it could be dangerous.

[URL='https://zokrelief.com/[/URL]

41v-5V0od_mid.jpg

16. KWC

KWC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection/TMJ ??
    17. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I’m not good. I hope you are better. I just woke up from a nap and have terrible noises in my TMD side ear. My jaw doesn’t seem to bother me that bad but awakening to this noise is maddening. I wanted to get another left TMJ injection but they say it’s can cause further damage to the condyle. The sleep/awaken cycle really affects me badly. My eyes seem to be sore today. Maybe too much strain from computer screens.

How are you doing @KWC?

18. KWC

KWC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection/TMJ ??
      @just1morething, no improvement. I need sound enrichment all the time.

I've been trying to taper Klonopin and that is rough.

I'm trying to accept and teach my brain to filter.

Is your tinnitus 24x7?

19. applewine
      Curious

applewine Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ME/CFS, Dysautonomia
      @Mr. Cartman Woah, where have you been? I don't even log in here but once a year or so at random.

I'm planning on trying anti-parasite medication soon. I think it could be related to medically unexplained symptoms of muscle pain, brain fog, fatigue, tinnitus, neuropathy and digestion problems.

Some of the medications are ivermectin, albendazole, tinidazole.

20. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @applewine -- There are many reports in the media these days about Ivermectin being able to very effectively treat COVID-19, and apparently prevent infection as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    21. applewine
      Curious

applewine Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ME/CFS, Dysautonomia
      @Lane Well, I am aware of that. Though I've heard that HCQ + Zinc is still more effective. However, I've also heard that there were people in some countries which were given given 10x regular doses of it because the doctors confused it with another medicine, which is just stupid. A lot died from over treatment with that I've heard. But, it was a totally preventable dose problem that you didn't even have to be a doctor to know. Further studies show exact levels necessary to lower viral load, which is still within safe limits.

I did think of order some extra just in case for other purposes, but I didn't do that. I am taking plenty of D3 hormone though and I've read a book by a doctor call "The Optimal Dose" where he said his patients wouldn't get colds anymore once they kept their D3 hormone levels above 100ng/ml (and below 140ng/ml) taking 30k IU a day of D3 hormone / 750mcg/day.

• Like Like x 1
    22. Ela Stefan

Ela Stefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Hi, Lane! If inflammation and activation of a latent virus could be the cause of one's tinnitus, do you think taking anviral medicine months or even more than a year later, as you didn't know before, would help to lessen the tinnitus? Or anything else to help along the nerve inflammation due to viral implications?

Are there specific signs with one's tinnitus that would imply a virus has contributed or even caused the tinnitus? Thank you so much!

23. Tasty
      Feminine

Tasty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Visual Snow Syndrome, possibly TMJD/Cervical Instability
      @erik, well, I was just visiting a chiropractor recently who said to me mehh, your nerves in the neck/jaw cannot be responsible for your tinnitus/visual snow syndrome.

I try to treat my TMJD and neck issues with physical therapy but I'm clueless if I can change anything on the severity. It's in both ears, somatic, and fluctuates throughout the day. I hear it in most places. It's pretty annoying and leads to depression, like come on, and visual snow syndrome on top of that.

Do you think correcting the jaw/neck issues can have an effect on the visual snow syndrome/tinnitus?

This is pretty interesting about visual snow syndrome/tinnitus and jaw/cervical instability.

Vision problems associated with ligamentous...

Tinnitus- why this symptom is so common in...