To Those Who Are Now or Have Been Working from Home, How Are You Dealing with Conference Calls?

Discussion in 'Support' started by lightning, May 29, 2020.

1. lightning
      Amused

lightning Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe tinnitus since Dec 30 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      I don't use headphones due to my tinnitus, so I typically use my iPhone on speakerphone. The problem with that is the speaker makes me right ear go crazy with pain. I think the sound from a small speaker is too high pitch, and triggers my hyperacusis / TTTS. I've tried using my laptop and iPad, and I still have similar issues.

I'm sure I'm not the only one dealing with this, so I'd like to hear what you are doing to make these calls more comfortable.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Tavia R

Tavia R Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with condition
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with condition-recently diagnosed/treated for migraines
      I recently heard these apps, I haven't tried one yet, that were developed for hard of hearing people. They transcribe phone calls in real time and put the words up on your screen. I really want to find a good one so I can turn the call volume way down and rely mostly on reading the words. Maybe you could try that and ask whoever you're conferencing if they'd be willing to do a phone call instead?

• Like Like x 2
    3. RishRamsey
      Doubtful

RishRamsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stupid DJ
      I use my earmuffs while taking calls on my iPhone speakerphone. Works well.
      Or a bit of cotton and sometimes earplugs. Can't talk without anything in between the phone and my ears even on the lowest volume or for a second.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Tavia R

Tavia R Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with condition
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with condition-recently diagnosed/treated for migraines
      K I tried the apps, on iPhone I had Rogervoice and myCall-to-Text available. Both freaking sucked and we’re obviously made by the same people, they were exactly the same. It only picked up on a third of what I had my mom saying on the other line, if I wouldn’t have had the volume on and was listening to it it would have made no sense. I was hoping that I could just mute the speaker and read the words, but yeah it sucked.

5. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I find my laptop speakers at low volume are best, compared with my phone, or my laptop with speakers. I guess it depends on the speakers but for me this is least disturbing to my hyperacusis.

6. Nobody19

Nobody19 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Clubbing
      I just put the volume down. I guess I'm lucky that my hearing is pretty good.

7. TnH

TnH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma and Acoustic Shock
      Turn the volume down / Plug in an external speaker. They have more lower frequencies.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lightning
      Amused

lightning Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe tinnitus since Dec 30 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      Yeah, this is what I ended up going with. It's not a huge improvement, but it's still a bit better.