Two Year Anniversary

Discussion in 'Support' started by Allen Y., Jun 20, 2018.

1. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      It sounds like you're probably unaware of the severity of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS). Here's a LINK to the Introduction Section of a website focused to it. If anybody reads even a few of those introductions, it will likely be quite an eye opener. Pasted below is the first paragraph in the very latest introduction. It's quite typical of the members on that forum.

BTW, people with CFS tend to be particularly vulnerable to developing tinnitus. Whereas tinnitus involves some kind of faulty interplay between the brain and the auditory system, ME/CFS is--generally speaking--some kind of faulty interplay between the brain and the immune system, the brain and the endocrine system, and the brain and the neurological system.

In short, a multi-system breakdown, preventing people from doing much in their daily lives. Exercising is not possible for most people, as it causes all symptoms to dramatically worsen. Getting out of bed is often off limits for days, weeks, months, or even years at a time. They often live in severe pain, and are usually unable to think or sleep in a way that would be--even remotely--considered normal.

Here's a LINK to a thread on this forum started by someone with ME/CFS.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I don't mean to sound daft, but the process you describe above is "throw to the wall and see what sticks". I was talking about a more scientific approach to a diagnosis, for example, exploring things like blood work, imaging (CT, MRI), etc... Here is a flowchart you can follow (with your doctors): https://www.tinnitusresearch.net/index.php/for-clinicians/diagnostic-flowchart

For example, you don't say if you've had a hearing test and what it showed. In many instances, T is caused by hearing loss, and knowing that sometimes opens the door to solutions. You could be in the lucky set that does have solutions.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      You have done well. You may not realize it, but you are way stronger, than you were two years ago. All of us dream of a cure, but we do need to live our lives as well. Just keep up the positive mentality and do your best to keep moving forward.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allen Y.

Allen Y. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      Oh...

I have seen 3 ENTS ... 2 GPs... 4 alternative medicine doctors ... 3 audiologists.

I have not done an MRI (all mainstream doctors said my symbols don't justify it) ... but have done blood tests ... but nothing there showed anything to the doctors...

I have followed the flowchart. I get to the sensory neural -> chronic hearing loss (high frequency, above 9k hz) path ... but no causal treatment identified.

Allen

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allen Y.

Allen Y. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      For the first year, I was yearning for a complete cure. Every time my T diminished, I thought I was on my way ... only to get knocked down to ground zero a few days (or hours) later.

Now I still hope ... and yearn ... but I don't get "knocked down" any more when the spike hits...

• Like Like x 1
    6. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      OK, so HF hearing loss seems to be the culprit then.
      Have you tried hearing aids that support high frequency amplification?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allen Y.

Allen Y. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      I did ask my audiologists - but since my speech tests returned 100% - they say hearing aids aren't recommended.

My understanding is that no hearing aid aims to improve things above 8khz (my loss is above that), at 7-8 khz, I have 5-15, maybe 20 db loss, but they say that's "mild."

My loss is really above 9kz ...

8. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Some hearing aids do go above 8-9 kHz. See https://www.hearingtracker.com/hearing-aids/signia-pure-primax-7px

It may or may not help you, but since you are eligible for a free trial by law, I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to give it a try. Hearing aids don't just help people who don't score 100% at the speech test. I score 100% but I can tell the difference when I wear my hearing aid.

There is no downside to trying, I think.

9. BLane
      Dreaming

BLane Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Happy 2nd Anniversary Allen Y. This July will be my 2nd Annv. as well. My experience has been very similar to yours, except that mine came on suddenly, in full force. I've read that in the 3rd year it gets easier to deal with.

10. BobK544

BobK544 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      suspect sulfur medication
      Allen i think you captured the essence of living with T.

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allen Y.

Allen Y. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      I don't like hearing aids. They amp up sound ... so we hear better. But I hear well enough.

By amping up sound, you expose your hair cells to that much more sound, which reduces their lifespan. And then when they go, then what, turn up more?

It's not sustainable.

I am 47. Audiologists told me it doesn't make sense for me to use hearing aids. Usually people have to strain to hear ... and then that straining process causes in some people T. But hearing aids per se does not cure T in general is the opinion I got from all three audiologists...

12. PortalNaut

PortalNaut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Late 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      So sorry Lane, but if you could review and post the link to that intro please. It doesn't work for me. Thanks!

13. AmericanJosh

AmericanJosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure while doing work on home
      I have never read a news article of someone killing themselves because of T alone, much less a rash of such articles.

Here are some health conditions that can mess up your life as much and certainly more than T.

Lupus
      Chronos disease
      Small fiber neuropathy
      General neuropathy
      Most spinal and neck injuries and disorders
      TBI
      Severe epilepsy
      Stroke
      MS
      Parkinsons
      Louis gehrigs disease
      Loss of a limb
      And the list goes on and on

I have T. It's about a 7. But life must go on. I wish I didn't have it and it is tough at times, but if I don't live my T then I can go on with life.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma

I can't believe you just wrote this.
      There are many suicides because of Tinnitus alone...I don't feel like digging up news articles right now, but there are plenty that can be googled if you look.
      Just off the top of my head, I remember reading the news article about the boat skipper, who jumped to his death after he was told that there is no cure for Tinnitus, or the firefighter who killed himself because his Tinnitus sounded like country music.
      And no they had no previous history of mental illness...just bad Tinnitus.

Of course there are always doubters, who will try to blame some mental condition, but I'm not quite sure why it is so hard to accept the fact that people kill themselves over Tinnitus alone.
      I'm not sure if you are trying to provoke an argument of sorts, but severe Tinnitus is certainly on that list...unless a lifetime of 24/7 brutal torture by sound isn't quite enough for you, I'm not sure what the hell are you exactly trying to accomplish here bud.

15. AmericanJosh

AmericanJosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't doubt people have killed themselves due to tinnitus, but I know for a fact, as a researcher and avid news junkie, that there are not thousands, much less hundreds, of suicides due to tinnitus. 50 million people have tinnitus - one would certainly expect a news article a day due to suicide over tinnitus. Just because a few people have done it, or someone knows someone who did it, doesn't mean its an epidemic or even common.

Here are the most common causes of suicide in the US - no mention of tinnitus. Like I said, from my training and experience in social work, I firmly believe that many suicides are driven by anxiety and depression with other issues (like tinnitus, pain, etc) being too much to bear in all.

• Depression. It is one of the leading causes of suicides around the world. ...
      • Hopelessness. ...
      • Fear. ...
      • Perfectionism. ...
      • Regrets. ...
      • Traumatic experience. ...
      • Mental illness. ...
      • Stress.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma

Yes but remember out of those 50 million of people who have tinnitus only about 5% have the debilitating kind...if you spread that across the whole US, it's no longer that big of a number.
      Also remember that the top 3 conditions (and the last one) you just mentioned are all present with those that have the debilitating tinnitus...either as a direct result of tinnitus, or are further amplified by it because I'm very sure, that if they didn't have them before tinnitus, they will definitely have them after tinnitus sets in.

Lastly, there are medications out there to reduce pain, stress or depression but not a single one to reduce the volume...with tinnitus it's all about the volume and intrusiveness.
      Medically speaking, a tinnitus sufferer has nowhere to turn to reduce those...that is a big one, because when you realize that nobody can help you, lot of people tend to freak out and take drastic mesaures.

• Like Like x 1
    17. AmericanJosh

AmericanJosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I agree that this all sucks. When I injured my back, I was shocked to find out how little medicine can really do for me. We can't even cure baldness yet, much less so many other health issues.

I haven't seen any research that tinnitus causes any other health issue. In fact t is not an illness or disease. It's a symptom of other issues like minerals, acoustic injury, ear infection, head injury, etc.