Underwater Tinnitus Therapy

Discussion in 'Support' started by MattS, Jul 20, 2019.

1. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      Hey all,

I've gotten into a bit of a routine, where I lie down in the bath on my back, with the water just deep enough so that my ears, but not my mouth/nose are under water. I lay there, listening to my breathing, and trying to steel my attention on the low frequency sound waves that reverberate around under water. I'll lie there for ten minutes, fifteen minutes, sometimes bringing my head above water for 10 seconds, then heading back down, relaxing, breathing, steeling my attention on the low frequency reverberations.

And shit if it doesn't lower my tinnitus by a good dB notch. And the notch lasts too - not forever, but if I do this before routine before getting into bed, I can almost always doze off before the tinnitus starts coming back.

I imagine I'm experiencing relief from a bunch of things... the relaxation, the meditative focus on my breathing... but I feel like the actual experience of being underwater, of having the sound frequencies all morph and alter, adds some extra therapy to the experience.

Anyone else find being underwater helpful?

• Like x 3
      • Informative x 3
      • Winner x 2
      • Good Question x 1
      • Useful x 1
    2. F-u-T

F-u-T Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trama
      I went scuba diving in shallow water a month ago and got some relief while underwater. My T is normally always loud as hell.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Christophe_85
      Alone

Christophe_85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      When I put my head under the water, I don't hear my tinnitus anymore... Don't know why... ;)

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      I swim everyday and hear my tinnitus.

After 40 minutes the feel good chemicals are released, my blood is oxygenated, and the tinnitus remains but it has less emotional power over me.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      Interesting, so there really does seem to be something about the water that's providing some relief. And yet we're all obtaining it in a different way.

I imagine that the act of swimming gets the endorphins going, but also hugely masks the tinnitus. I've been going for something different. I'm actually still as a mouse under water, just relaxing and letting the sound vibrations play around my head. And that too seems to lead to relief. If anyone else decides to give this a try, let us know... maybe we're on to a bit of something. :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    6. Sonic17
      Wishful

Sonic17 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? neck injury/unknown
      @MattS
      If I could live in water I would.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      We were all born in the wrong bodies. We were supposed to be fish, or maybe dolphins.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Very interesting.

9. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      This is the type of thing that research funds should go towards. There are in fact things that can lower tinnitus and provide relief, quality relief and this is just more evidence for that. Why aren't researchers attacking these things like rabid hyenas?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
    11. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      Hmm.... I theorize if someone holds their head submerged underwater for over 10 minutes without any breathing apparatus, they won’t hear their tinnitus, or anything... just kidding.

12. KMc24

KMc24 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I've had about 20 electro acupuncture treatments. It has made a noticeable difference in my tinnitus. It took about 7-8 sessions before I noticed a marked improvement. The loudness, as well as, the harshness has improved. I used to have at least 2 tones, one of which was a chirping that would drive me insane. I also had a high pitched cicada sound that was unbearable.

By July of last summer I couldn't take it anymore, and decided to give acupuncture a try. As of now I am sleeping without the aid of medication for the first time in a year. I've had tinnitus for 20 months. Susan Shore even stated that she believed that acupuncture could provide some relief. My tinnitus is somatic. Other than one study I've encountered out of China nothing has been investigated using acupuncture as a possible treatment. Although it is far from a cure it has improved my quality of life. As far I can tell the world and the researchers don't really give a damn about us. Until we as a community, and the loved ones of those afflicted start voicing their dismay, we will continue this painfully slow trajectory.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
    13. astaff14

astaff14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax/Botched Irrigation/Noise Trauma
      Interesting... I do usually notice that my t will feel a bit better after a nice hot shower. Holding my ears under water like that though would be pretty detrimental for me personally unfortunately, I always get water trapped in my ear when I swim or hold my head under water at all.

• Like Like x 1
    14. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      @KMc24, Glad you’re doing better. Is electro acupuncture regular acupuncture needles with an electro-stimulator machine put on separately or something different?

• Agree Agree x 1