Update on My Tinnitus (Eustachian Tube Dysfunction)

Discussion in 'Support' started by CrystalB, Apr 17, 2018.

1. CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So I have recently gone back to my ENT today for a follow up appointment.
      I have had tinnitus for 6 months, I’ve had all the testing done as of MRI and hearing test.
      My MRI is normal and so is my hearing.

He told me today that he looked into my hearing test and seen where my right ear had pressure and he says I have eustachian tube dysfunction, he doesn’t know if that is what’s causing the tinnitus.

He mentioned I may need surgery, to help open it up, but is going to give me 3 months to see if the nose spray will help it.

Has anyone else have had problems with Eustachian tube dysfunction?

• Like Like x 1
    2. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably loud music
      Its very common and also common in people with recurrent nasal obstruction (e.g. through inflammation of the nasal mucosa such as through allergy)

First line treatment is usually a nasal spray/balloon followed by (if unsuccessful), grommet insertion.

• Like Like x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Have you ever heard of that causing tinnitus?

4. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes (and a resounding one...). Eustachian tube dysfunction can give the sensation of pressure/blockage along with T or a temporary increase in its loudness

Of course, as you know, additional anxiety doesn't help....can't win eh?

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My T gets so high and loud I can hear it over everything, this Morning it’s super loud.
      I just wish I knew for sure the surgery would take away my T!
      Yes! Anxiety I noticed does not help it, it makes it so much worse, T is loud and it make me anxious.

6. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      I used this device and it opened my tubes after a few uses

https://www.amazon.com/Eustachi-Eustachian-Tube-Exerciser/dp/B00XQBR6GQ

It is definitely better than surgery. It was the best 60 bucks I ever spent.
      It also helped with my Tinnitus!
      Give it a try
      P.S. use good fresh batteries and swallow water when using works the best

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I would be very cautious at using commercial devices like this as they can cause more harm than good. And at nearly $60.00!!???

I would advise blowing up balloons (at a fraction of the cost!) but very, very slowly and not to aim to blow them fully - otherwise to try a medical grade Otovent balloon.

Can't remember if I, or anyone else has already given this advice to CrystalB so apologies if repeating oneself

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Have an update. I went to the ENT about 3 weeks ago, he said that with my hearing test back in December I have Eustachian tube dysfunction that it showed pressure in my right ear, I have tinnitus in both but my right is by far the worse. He told me to keep using nose spray, I have started a new nose spray but so far it’s helped with my ears not feeling as full but my tinnitus is still there in full swing.

He said he didn’t know though for sure if that is what’s causing my tinnitus it not.
      He mentioned surgery in 3 months for my Eustachian tube but he said it was up to me if I wanted it done or not. He said he didn’t know if it would help my tinnitus.
      I can hear my tinnitus over everything thing.

I have noticed when I move my lower jaw forward it makes my tinnitus louder until I move my jaw back.

My left ear pops and cracks and my right seems like it doesn’t want to pop at all until I push kinda hard to make it pop.

The ENT didn’t tell me I had Eustachian tube dysfunction until now and I saw him way back in December of last year! I know he had prescribed prednisone I took for about a week but it didn’t help with the ringing.
      And also, I was wondering if anyone knew what the cause of this is, I will try to pop my right ear and it won’t pop but sound gets louder in it and I hear like wind in it, does that mean my Eustachian tube is already open?

• Like Like x 1
    9. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      I wonder if the Eustachian tube issue could be remedied by the hyperbarric chamber treatment...I tried it and it did nothing for me, but I'm pretty sure my tubes are fine.
      Could help with equalizing some of the pressure maybe...worth looking into in your case.

• Like Like x 1
    10. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Trying pop your ears can cause inflamation so I would not keep doing it.
      Use the nasal spray and try blowing your nose about 15 mins after that is what helps me with the same problem and sinus problem.
      Give it a try see if it helps.
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    11. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      The reason they didn’t mention ETD is one of the diagnostic criteria is the presence of fluid, with out signs of infection for over three months. Many things can cause your E tubes to not function properly. Allergies, a cold, or TMJ even. I was diagnosed with ETD when my spike occurred. Fluids been gone for a month but the T is still here. Granted even when the fluid is gone there could be residual inflammation.

• Like Like x 2
    12. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      You would seriously let balloons blow in your nose rather than but a device specifically made for opening tubes?
      You are braver than I am. This device is very gentle

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's not what I said. Blowing up balloons via mouth is what I meant. And no, I would not pay the price of $60.00

• Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for the advice!
      I’m going to not pop my ears as much, afraid I’ll blow my ear drum! I’m just desperate to try to get rid of my ringing.
      Would you happen to know about how long using nose spray that it starts to get in your system?

15. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Straight away but everyday it will build up so keep using it and see how you are after 2 weeks.
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    16. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      They will sort themselves out in time (ringing and Eustachian tubes). Don't do anything drastic. IMO you will be fine

• Like Like x 3
    17. Rick Garner
      Fine

Rick Garner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/ 2016 (T free since mid March 2017) 
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD (most probably)
      CrystalB,
      If you have time, read my thread in success stories section. I had ETD, I got rid of it, and the tinnitus as well. I suggest you to read all the pages as there is a lot of information. BTW, the nasal spray would do the job as long as you use it correcly. As per my ENT doctor's advice, I used the spray more than 3 months daily.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/my-battle-with-tinnitus-was-over.21013/

• Like Like x 1
    18. Michellejean

Michellejean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus/ no clue
      @CrystalB
      Hey crystal, I also have a diagnosis of ETD in my left ear yet ringing in both ears.
      I noticed over the past two months that the valsalva maneuver made my tinnitus worse and give me set backs, but this is my own personal experience.

Inhaling steam is helpful. My left ear has had fluid and negative pressure in it for two months now... although the fluid is slowly draining.

I also can modulate my t (increase volume or “spike” it momentarily) when I twist my neck to the right, open my jaw wide, press on my sinuses and top of my head.

I’m looking into neck injuries and tmjd with an upper cervical spine chiropractor who took X-rays, and tested my nerves, muscle tension and what not with some devices Friday.

He said my c1 and c2 are messed up. Not sure what that means for the tinnitus but I’ll post if I find any relief from adjustments!

• Like Like x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes please keep me updated with you!

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just wondering if anyone’s tinnitus that does have ETD gets so high pitched and loud that it hurts?

My tinnitus gets so high pitch like nails on a chalk board.

Like it doesn’t actually hurt my ears it’s like it hurts to hear it, if that makes sense lol.

I could deal with the fullness in my ears and the pain better if it just wasn’t for the tinnitus!

21. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Yeah mine sounds like that. I thought it was possible neck muscle spasms. How do you know yours is caused by ETD?

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    22. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Last edited: May 1, 2018
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The ENT just diagnosed me with ETD but he said he didn’t know if the ringing was coming from that or not.

24. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @CrystalB, You might want to try hearing aids with masker. I just got done talking to someone at Audicus. He said his noise sounds like mosquitoes. Hearing aids helped him a lot. I don't think he has hearing loss. That's the route I'm going for now. You can get a masker built in and also a remote for volume. I hope you can find some relief.

https://www.audicus.com/pages/hearing-aids

• Like Like x 2
    25. Holly1987

Holly1987 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey @CrystalB

Just wondering how you are going? I saw an ENT last week and we have basically the same problem. He said I can have surgery in 3 months if things haven't improved. I asked if it would lower the tinnitus and he said he couldn't say and that it may help. Not very encouraging!

Have you made a decision regarding the op?

• Like Like x 1
    26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey! I am doing okay, the tinnitus is still there and I am still on a nose spray called mometasome, I’ve been on it over a month and I can tell a little bit of a difference but not a whole whole lot.
      I’m sorry you have the same problem :(
      My ENT told me the same thing, he said he didn’t know for sure if the tinnitus was coming from that or not. I haven’t decided on the surgery or not, if I knew it would help my tinnitus I would get it done in a heart beat! But not knowing if it’s going to help or not is disappointing. Did they put you on any nose sprays for it?
      I have noticed my ears especially today has been hurting like inside them if that makes sense kinda feels like inflammation.

• Like Like x 1
    27. Holly1987

Holly1987 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm so glad you're doing ok ☺ I feel exactly the same about the surgery.

He said I could try nose spray but he didn't think it would help in the long term, maybe I should give it a go.

I really hope it just happens naturally for both of us!

• Like Like x 1
    28. Mellow7

Mellow7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      If by surgery your ENT means putting in tubes or a balloon dilation, I would strongly advise you check out this thread first: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/here-is-how-i-solved-my-tinnitus-—-new-protocols-and-supplements-to-try.6514/. There's some great ideas in there as to how to bring down inflammation in the Eustachian tubes. In any case, these treatments will be less invasive than these kinds of surgeries that have no surefire way of dealing with the dysfunction. I had tubes two times in the past and I still have a clogged feeling in my ears many years later, as well as chronic crackling and popping when I swallow or yawn. The only thing that has been able to bring relief for a while for me is inhaling steam with menthol and eucalyptus.

• Like Like x 1
    29. Dginobile

Dginobile Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, Satan perhaps?
      Hey how long did you have ETD? I’m pretty sure that’s what’s going on with me, my right ear has been acting crazy lately sometimes I can hear myself talking in it other times it’s hard to pop, had muffled hearing and super loud Tinnitus temporarily in it a couple weeks ago took 60 mg of prednisone and the it was fine later in the day, my Tinnitus is in my HEAD so I was sure if it’s related I assume for the T to be caused my ETD it would need to be in my ear? But it is more prominent on the right side of my head, I get a lot of pressure in my nose as well and sometimes
      I get lightheaded but all the ENT’s I’ve seen say my ears look fine it’s so frustrating

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had a hearing test back in December of last year and my ENT told me that I had negative pressure that the hearing test showed and that’s when he diagnosed me with ETD. Sounds like you may have it too, sometimes my Tinnitus sounds like it’s in my head but I have always wondered if maybe it’s in my middle ear which may sound like it’s coming from the middle of my head. Have you ever had a test done to see if you have ETD? A hearing test should show it. My ENT says my ears look fine also, but they can’t see deep into your ear like your tubes. Do you have allergies?

• Like Like x 1