Using Headphones at Max Volume for an Hour a Day for Years — Now Tinnitus and Ears Feel Full/Hurt

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by matilda, May 15, 2021.

1. matilda

matilda Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/5/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones
      Hello everybody! I’m 18 years old and have been hearing ringing in my ears for one week now. I’d say it’s relatively mild 3/10, i hear it whenever it’s silent and over the TV and ambient noise. My ears feel full and hurt, and sometimes there’s a weird burning feeling? I went to the doctor who didn’t see anything wrong except possibly very minimal inflammation and gave me ear drops. They haven’t helped though. On Tuesday she will call me and forward me to an ENT.

I’d be lying if I said I was dealing with it well at all. I constantly feel sick and am having real trouble accepting that I have tinnitus and will have to mold my life after it. My life hasn’t even begun yet :( I feel like I’m being ripped in pieces just writing this.

I know it’s only been 1 week and things can change, but I’m 99% sure the cause behind my tinnitus is using over-ear headphones. For about one hour a day for a couple of years I’ve been listening to music at max volume during my walks. My ears never hurt or rang after a walk so I never worried before, but checking my Health app on my iPhone, my average loudness is 92 dB! I can’t believe my own stupidity. I will hate myself for the rest of my life for being so foolish and ruining my own life.

Because of how long I’ve abused my ears I feel like my chances of recovery are low. Can it happen? For a while yesterday I think it went down and was almost silent, but then it just switched ears from a high frequency beep in my left ear to a lower ringing in my right? Currently I can’t even tell where it’s coming from.

I’m just completely devastated. Terrified of it getting worse. I want a long life but going 60 years without this getting worse...? I’ve already accepted that I’ll never get to do things I’ve always looked forward to (concerts, clubs, festivals), I just don’t want this to get worse. I haven’t slept more than a couple hours a week because I can hear it over white noise and my anxiety won’t let me relax for even a second.

Has anyone gotten better after getting tinnitus from headphones? Is there hope?

Even if this fades or goes away, I will be avoiding loud noise for the rest of my life. Never touching headphones ever again. I’m so scared and sad I can’t even breathe. Sorry for the negative post.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi matilda,

The first thing I want to say your life isn't over, so try to calm down and read what I have to say and everything will be just fine. Using headphones at too high a volume is one of the most common causes of tinnitus, so please stop using them and I agree with you, not to use them again if possible even at low volume. You have noise-induced tinnitus and this type of tinnitus usually improve with time. Please click on the links below and take your time to read my posts. Try to avoid quiet rooms and surroundings especially at night by using low level sound enrichment. More about this is explained in the posts.

Take care and all the best
      Michael

New to Tinnitus, What to Do? | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum
      Tinnitus, A Personal View | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      matilda

matilda Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/5/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones
      Thank you Michael. Do most people with tinnitus live normal lives? I’m still trying to figure out just how much this will handicap me :(

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have had noise-induced tinnitus for 25 years Matilda and enjoy my life. I have had some difficult times with it. My tinnitus is quite a severe form but this doesn't mean yours will be the same as we are all different. Tinnitus is a very common condition and many people are able to enjoy their life doing everything that they want to. I am confident you will be ok. Just give it time. Follow the advice in my posts and not too far in the future, you will look back and smile wondering what all the fuss was about.

The tinnitus can improve to the point where you hardly hear it or it could completely go away, this does happen and it's when some people believe all is well but things are not always as they seem. Please click on the link below and read my post: Will My Tinnitus Get Worse?

Give it time and use low level sound enrichment whenever possible.

Take care,
      Michael

Will My Tinnitus Get Worse? | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

• Like Like x 1
    5. buttercake

buttercake Guest

You ought to be fine, your tinnitus is too fresh to despair. Ask ASAP to your GP for a course of steroids (Prednisone), it's a rather standard procedure for noise-induced (or even idiopathic) tinnitus. Avoid loud places and headphones for the next weeks. A good majority of tinnitus cases resolve on its own within 3-6 months, or else people simply learn to ignore it and move on with their lives.

• Like Like x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      matilda

matilda Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/5/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones
      Thank you very much. I asked my GP if I could try steroids but she had not heard of that. I don't know if Swedish doctors are more restrictive with steroids than doctors in other countries :(

I will hope for the best but my anxiety is out of control.

Catastrophic thinking is hard to avoid and I can't stop reading horror stories :(

7. buttercake

buttercake Guest

Are you living in Sweden? In my experience Swedish doctors (or doctors in Sweden) are extremely reluctant in prescribing steroids (actually any medication). Try to insist with your GP or call your Vårdcentral and ask them to be examined by another GP. Worst case scenario, go to the ER and tell them that you became suddenly deaf. At the time of my onset I did not know about Prednisone and "my" (Swedish) GP did not know either; she told me "it'll likely go away", but it did not.
      Do not read horror stories, just stick to this thread and to the Success Stories section. You do not have severe tinnitus and if you play safe you will soon be fine. Six months ago I was were you are now, nowadays I am mostly fine. My tinnitus is not super loud, but it can be easily heard outside.

8. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi Matilda,

Predinsone has helped some people in the early stages of noise-induced tinnitus, others it hasn't. Most doctors in the UK will not prescribe it for tinnitus, as they have no knowledge of it helping the condition like your GP in Sweden. The stress and anxiety you are feeling is quite common with the onset of tinnitus, as mentioned in my articles that I sent you. Your doctor may prescribe medication to help you cope with this so please talk to her. I know what you are going through but things will get better, believe me.

If you drink, I suggest a glass of wine or lager during the evenings for medicinal purposes. Please read my posts again as they will help to reassure you that things will get better. Please go to my started threads and read the article: The Habituation Process.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Stacken77
      Wishful

Stacken77 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise (likely headphones & cars), Acoustic trauma did me in
      Hi Matilda,

I may not have the longest experience with tinnitus, but I sure know the despair you're going through.
      It's fantastic that it's mild, and most likely it will stay that way. It may seem impossible at this time, but you will with most certainty adapt and get used to the ringing as your new "silence". Hopefully, If you let your ears rest, you may see some fading in time.
      I haven't experienced this sensation myself, but if I were you, I would definitely rest my ears for a long time moving forward. Just make sure to not completely overprotect and shield yourself from all everyday noise, if you feel you can tolerate it. My recommendation is to avoid loud noise and use earplugs for moderate ones, i.e. blender, vacuum, car rides.
      I can relate to the above a lot since I'm only 21, and I have gone through the exact thoughts, and still does a little bit. But I most certainly believe you will be fine. Your life may from this point be more limited than that of your peers, but you will most likely still be able to live a happy and fulfilling life, like most people with tinnitus do. Using earplugs will become a second nature.

All the best,
      Stacken

• Like Like x 1
    10. BigNick

BigNick Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hopefully you'll recover. In the meantime, be cautious around any loud noise.

When you feel ready, headphones at sensible listening levels are a wonderfully therapeutic tool for tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      matilda

matilda Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/5/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones
      @BigNick, @Stacken77, @Michael Leigh, @buttercake, thank you all so much for your answers.

Unfortunately things have somehow gotten worse. Just as I was somewhat more okay with the high eeeee in my left ear after a week, my right ear that was previously quiet is now much worse. It’s loud, like a 7/10, I hear it everywhere except the shower.

What could have caused this? I have not been anywhere loud. The car?

I’m even more upset, the other note was annoying but I could live with it but this is awful, I can’t sleep for even a moment :(

How did it spread to my other ear? Does that mean it’s not noise induced?

Please let this get milder. I can’t do this.

12. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Because it takes up to 3 weeks for the significant hair cell death to occur, and neurons also begin to detach from a noise trauma after they have swollen due to calcium influx. There's the initial incident, the initial recovery, then the slow spiral of dying that occurs post trauma as mostly neurons die off.

It never "spread" to your other ear, it was already there in waiting. You had earphones on, both ears got blasted, obviously one more than the other. It took this long for the damage to accumulate past the threshold (so 2 weeks post trauma) and bam, tinnitus in other ear. This all was written in stone when the noise event happened and there's nothing you could really do about it (nor any new surprises you get over the next week).

The noise damage finally truly stops at about a month from the incident, neurons may slowly re-synapse during this time and onwards, and your brains gating will adjust (it WILL at least quiet down). You have to trust it will eventually become more like static... but this can take a very long time (think months or even a couple years).

The important part is still to NOT mess with it (it's too late for messing with it and the risks of making the noises worse is quite high imo) and STAY away from noise!!!! Your neurons are in a critical life/death state, the last thing they need is a blast of over-activity.

If you need a break from the noise (and only a break, like once a week tops), Ativan / Zopiclone will put you to sleep and annihilate the ring early on. This will eventually stop working. DO NOT take them all the time or if tempted to more often unless you want it to get louder with new noises.

Take supplements that help recovery like Magnesium, Zinc, NAC, your B vitamins, Ginkgo biloba. It won't make miracles, don't take too much, it's just to support re-growth/re-myelination if any damage happened that's fixable.

You can also use VERY low volume white noise to help mask it (I mean, like whisper quiet).

Steroids may also help but, full disclosure, steroids are GAMBLING and "can" make it worse (especially risky is fast tapers or cold turkey "shock treatments" with no taper at all).

And yes, it can get much, MUCH worse. I'm an unfortunate testament to someone who was like you and got much much worse by gambling.

13. Stacken77
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If you haven't been exposed to any loud sounds, then it's rather odd. It could be a delayed onset for the right ear, maybe. I don't think it's uncommon for tinnitus to develop in the other ear if it starts off unilateral, because tinnitus seem to originate in the brain(while being a symptom of peripheral damage). My tinnitus started in my right ear, but also developed in my left a week later, following a second acoustic trauma though.

I'd say; hang in there! And get on with hearing protection, let your ears rest. There's a good chance it could get milder.

14. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi Matilda

Tinnitus will change a lot in the early stages so try not to think you have done something wrong because you haven't. I have mentioned this in my articles that I hope you have been able to read, although I understand it's not easy to concentrate on reading when tinnitus is overwhelming as it is for you at the moment. My advice is talk to your doctor as I have previously mentioned and explain the way you feel.

Take care
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      Hi Matilda,

Try not to worry, it's very normal for tinnitus to fluctuate a lot in the early stages; it will settle down. You haven't done anything wrong.

If you can, try not to monitor it too much. Maybe try some masking if it feels comfortable (water sounds, as the shower masks it for you). Most of us struggle with sleep in the beginning, so that is normal too. This should improve as you get over the shock, but speak with your doctor if it continues and they will be able to help you.

In most cases, tinnitus will either disappear or reduce/cease to be a problem, but it can take a little while so don't worry if you don't notice any improvements right away. Have a read of the Success Stories section of the site - there are lots of people with noise induced tinnitus on there who have improved.

I know it feels like your life is over, and it's normal to feel this way when you first acquire tinnitus, but the vast majority of people do get better so please remember that. Good luck with your ENT appointment.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      The above is interesting, but is it describing SNHL rather than 'cumulative damage'? Do you have a source?

17. buttercake

buttercake Guest

Agreed, still a patient should be informed that there exists a "shock therapy". The two Swedish doctors who examined me did not even mention Prednisone. I have been told "it'll go away in a month", maybe a round of steroids could have saved my a*s.

In some countries Prednisone is the standard procedure.

18. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma studies in mice and in military polish firearm accidents.
      A little hard to dissect people after noise trauma, but in mice hair death occurs readily within the first 2 weeks and slows to nothing at a month, and neurodegeneration if synapses were damaged occurs readily and slowly up to 2 years later...but the largest impact in damage where it exponentially decays was seen around 2 weeks and then cell signalling for apoptosis begins to slow down.
      Also sets the boundaries for where salvage therapy can be used up until (6 weeks).
      I'm not listing 8 months of research on here, google exists.
      Not to say T can't improve months later, it's complicated, but to say noise damage is limited to the incident is ridiculous, not only is it still occurring but the nerve cells are super fragile during this period, with self-death and survival factors both being expressed (much more so than the hair cells, which tended to actually survive trauma more). Hence a noise trauma anywhere within a couple months of the incident I think is playing with fire.
      This is also where the idea of steroid therapy helping comes from, not just limiting inflammation but promoting the survival factor expression. At least in firearm discharges the difference compared to doing nothing is clinically significant (significant does not mean a miracle and no more T or hearing damage, more like 20% less).
      Plenty of people here including me had T disappear on steroids, but it was always temporary and always a gamble.
      The studies don't mean much without a foundation on how it all works, here you go, it's a substantial investment in your free time.
      https://www.open.edu/openlearn/science-maths-technology/biology/hearing/

• Like Like x 2
    19. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A single round of steroids is generally pretty safe to do, in my opinion.

If I could do it all again, doing it ONCE, I'd likely still do.

It was cumulatively trying over and over again that created my droning "Meniere's like" tinnitus. That and tapers that were too fast (my doctor telling me it was fine whilst protesting).

Ativan was far better for helping me with the real volume and sound and I wish I had just stuck to that and stayed indoors for a month away from noise. Ativan made things louder coming off only temporarily, and I never got "brand new sounds" from it.

The fast steroid taper sounds have thus far been permanent (going on 6 months now).
      And it wasn't sound damage, not a chance, this was several months later.

When you started with good hearing, then finish your steroid pack and wake up the next day unable to hear keys jingling, you know what happened.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Wow, that’s terrible.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      matilda

matilda Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/5/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones
      @Matchbox, @buttercake, @Tanni, @Stacken77, @Michael Leigh:

Thank you all for you informative replies. I’m not doing too well with the emotional side of this. Can’t help but feel like my life is over, I’m so scared.

I’m confused about what noise to avoid. Should I wear earplugs at school? Or the mall? What’s the best earplugs for day to day use that’s available in Europe?

And my graduation is coming up next month, I have to attend :(

22. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @__nico__ had a similar experience I believe.

Not to say steroids shouldn't be used, and at least once I think they have merit, but just realize it's a big deal.

Ye,s it is some serious level of suck.

23. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi Matilda,

You have not said whether you have spoken to your GP again about how you are feeling? If you haven't, then I advise you to make an appointment. The confusion you are feeling is quite understandable and is something many of us in this forum can relate to. I am sorry to keep on about this but it's important that you talk to your doctor, who may prescribe medication so your stress levels can be managed. Stress makes tinnitus worse and tinnitus makes stress worse and therefore, it can become a vicious cycle.

You are probably sensitive to certain sounds at the moment which is something that is common with noise induced tinnitus. This oversensitivity to sound will improve with time, but please do not start avoiding normal everyday sounds or overusing earplugs. This practice will often instill and reinforce negative thinking and possibly lead to other problems. You can use noise reducing earplugs temporarily but not for all day use. Please read my post: Hyperacusis, As I See It, in the link below which explains this in more detail. Please remember what I have advised, not to wear earplugs all day or deliberately avoid normal everyday sounds.

Michael

Hyperacusis, As I See It | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      matilda

matilda Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/5/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones
      Hello again! I spoke to my GP again today. Unfortunately, she does not know a thing about tinnitus. She recommended yoga to relax (?) and told me to just wait it out and see. Still did not want to give me steroids.

I actually do not feel sensitive to sound at all. Car doors, dog barks, cutlery; nothing actually hurts or bothers my ears. I’m just scared of making it worse without knowing.

Would you recommend earplugs to school? It’s everyday noise I guess but still kind of loud in the cafeteria and such.

25. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi Matilda,

I am surprised the way your GP is reacting because she should know that tinnitus can be a very debilitating condition when it is severe, and will affect a person's mental and emotional wellbeing profoundly. If she is an experienced doctor, then she knows this as it comes under mental health. She is probably monitoring how you are coping. I feel, if you were to persist and say that you really can't cope, then she will take things further.

Steroids is not the answer and is not something I recommend. When tinnitus becomes distressing the correct treatment is an antidepressant. This acts as a safety net and will help a person not to become too down. As I have previously said: stress makes tinnitus worse and tinnitus makes stress worse. Therefore, it's vital a person's mental health is kept on an even keel. Your doctor is aware of this but she wants to see how things pan out. If necessary, she will go to next stage and prescribe an antidepressant and probably start off with a low dose.

It is a good sign that you are not overly sensitive to sound. I do not recommend you start using earplugs. Please read my post in the link that I have given you: Hyperacusis, As I See It. Using earplugs regularly will cause more harm than good. They tend to instill negative thinking and often lower the loudness threshold of the auditory system, which will make your ears more sensitive to sound. Other conditions can manifest themselves from overusing earplugs and keeping away from everyday sounds. Earplugs are not the answer although they can be used temporarily only if you are overly sensitive to sound. Since you are not, I do not recommend you get into the habit of using them.

Use low level sound enrichment as I have mentioned in my articles. Use it during the day when possible and especially at night, as it's important not to sleep in a quiet room. More about this is explained in my post: New to Tinnitus, What to Do?

All the best
      Michael

26. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      Yes, GPs are not generally very knowledgeable about tinnitus, which is why they usually refer to a specialist such as an ENT (as yours has done.) The ENT is far more likely to prescribe steroids, should you decide to go that route.

You will hear different advice on here regarding hearing protection; it's a very personal decision based on your hearing tolerance and if/how your tinnitus reacts to noise. Generally, it is sensible to protect around overly loud environments - i.e. anywhere with loud music playing - but everyday noises are fine. I can't imagine you would need to wear earplugs at school.

I think as long as you continue to avoid playing music loudly through your headphones, you will be fine. Stick to the Success Stories section of the site if you continue to feel anxious, and give it some time. You have not ruined your life, it just feels like it right now.

27. Stacken77
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's very good. Having hyperacusis can complicate matters a lot, as it has done for me. So if you don't feel that you have it, I wouldn't worry all that much about regular sound exposure. Although, If you ask me, I would wear earplugs when out and about, i.e. malls and at school. If you intend to continue studying, or start working, I'd recommend getting custom molded earplugs with interchangeable filters. In Sweden, the company Bellman & Symfon makes such earplugs, and you could probably get them molded by contacting your 'Hörselvård' at whichever 'Region' you are part of. There's also private hearing clinics which can do the molding. The earplugs are rather expensive though, but worth it.
      I feel for you, really. Graduation, 'Studenten', is something really big. I guess you can attend with earplugs, I'd recommend foam earplugs with maximum reduction rating of 37 dB. If there's any intention to have a 'Studentflak' though, I'd not hop on that since it's far too loud and can easily worsen the tinnitus.

Take care,
      Stacken

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      matilda

matilda Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/5/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones
      Thank you for the advice. I will not wear earplugs to school, but will buy some for graduation (which will be held outside).

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      matilda

matilda Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/5/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones
      Thank you very much for your reply and advice. It’s really helpful :) As you say I really need to stop reading the scary stuff for a minute.

I must say OCD and tinnitus is a really unfortunate mix, I was just getting better with my last year-long theme (bacteria) so this will be hard. Just checked my phone activity and I’ve been on here for 102 hours the past 10 days. Might ask my mom to keep my phone during the night.

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      matilda

matilda Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/5/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones
      Thank you for the advice. I will look into that company. There won’t be any studentflak because of COVID-19 so we will just walk around town, with good distance from the speakers. That should be fine, no? And with earplugs.

We are also talking about going to Laserdome as a last fun thing to do together. Do you know if it’s very loud in there? I’ve never been. I’m guessing I can’t go :(