Valium

Discussion in 'Support' started by Amelia, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Considered safe yes?

2. Christian_B
      No Mood

Christian_B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07-2014
      Its a benzo, if u can i would avoid. But pretty common in the US i guess

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Only a low dose once a day for a week.
      Once I do that it will convince my GP some symptoms I'm haven't aren't stress and anxiety

4. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Amelia, try to avoid benzos. Only take a single pill if really needed (panic, freaking out, suicidal thoughts).
      But not on a regular base. They will take your anxiety, but are addictive.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      I'm having some pretty heavy symptoms, so while waiting for a neuro consult we just want to make sure it's not anxiety/extreme stress.
      It's the lowest dosage and only once a day. I'm not even going to take them the whole week - only the days my husband is off work.

6. Martin69
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Understood. I am sorry for this. I hope not too serious.
      I myself have symptoms since T onset like stomacheache and some others.
      But I know those are side effects of my anxiety.
      Take care.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Youl be just fine.

• Agree Agree x 3
    8. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Hi Amelia, I have taken them for 20 years because of chronic anxiety, my T can vary from nearly unbearable to really mild.

I am of the belief that if something helps me I do not care about addiction, be it caffeine, nicotine, Valium, weed or any other drug that gives you relief. I also have a heart condition that requires me to take aspirin and other drugs to keep me alive. Talk with your Dr and tell him your concerns.

I have gotten off my meds for extended periods of time and there was no difference at all in T

Everyone's T reacts different. I can go two or three days with just a few hours sleep each night, and drink a pot of coffee with no affects at all on T

I am saying, I do what I have to do for myself.

Should you try Valium, is it safe? I can't tell you.

Let us know either way how you are doing

• Agree Agree x 4
    9. Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      Hi Amelia I agree with Gary do what you need to get you through now I'm still on one of my anti depressants and also back on short term sleeping tablet - to get me through the current blip - next week hopefully back to previous self but I need a little help right now. Take the help you have a doctor monitoring you this time next week you could be posting a positive reaction taking you onwards and upwards to the next stage ;)
      Good luck xx

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Thanks Martin. I'm hoping not too serious either :( not sure if it's just a manifestation of anxiety, or I'm anxious because I'm worried about the "what ifs"

11. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      No problem. You will be (more than) fine.

• Funny Funny x 1
    12. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      One more thing Amelia, you have a good idea, taking the first one when you're husband is home with you. When my wife tries out a new med she also likes me around.

13. Christian_B
      No Mood

Christian_B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07-2014
      I don't really get that tho... why would you take pills when your husband is off work? isn't it more like a relief to be together with him than alone? sorry if i misunderstood this..

Like, i prefer to be with other people than alone.. the times when i'm alone i tend to think to much about my T and can get a bit anxiety about it. i would personally stay away from benzos tho...

• Like Like x 1
    14. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      If your a responsible person and do not have a drug history ( which i dont know you but you clearly dont cause your worried about taking a few valium), then you will be more then fine taking them for a week or even on a as need basis. T sucks real
      bad, so when we are having hard
      Times with it then there is nothing wrong to give our bodies some relief if any just by calming us using benzos. Im sure youve seen some of my posts regarding my oppinion on them, and if taken for a reason as of T then i say the hell with addiction/dependence cause T is enough to live with and if something makes you able to cope or bear with it a lil more then why not. And when you want to come off them, get a professional ween-off method from a doc and your good to go. But im talking about bein on these things for years. A couple here and there will not cause dependence and you will mightyy fine!

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. been on it since Thursday, no issue with T.

• Like Like x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Sorry, I am a stay at home mother and I don't want to be "under the influence" when it's just me and the kids (ie: when my husband is at work) just until I know how any medication effects me.

But as an update I'm doing ok. I was prescribed 2mg tablets which was just way too much - I was zonked even after a nights sleep, so I'm now taking a 1/4 of that dose and while I'm still a little tired, I can function fine.

Funnily enough - my T has seemed louder :/

17. Christian_B
      No Mood

Christian_B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07-2014
      It's your choice of course, but what is your thoughts that Valium will do for you? does it lower your anxiety? will you be on Valium the rest of your life, or? it doesn't kill your T and if it even makes it louder.. it seems pretty useless.

My point is that a benzo med won't really do anything besides "killing" some of the anxiety, but only as long as you take it.. and withdrawal side effects are worse (as i see it) than trying to let your body accept your condition (T).

I personally think that benzo meds will make you a more sad and depressed person in the long run.. that is one of the reasons i would never ask my own GP for a benzo med.

Again! this is not my choice, it's yours 100% :) it just seems very normal on this forum to take a lot of meds, and as i said in another thread - Meds are not always an answer to things, in my personal view.

Take care! :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    18. Martin69
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Hi Christian,
      I am absolutely your opinion. Benzos are not the answer. Only maybe if you go into panic mode or are close before jumping out of the window.
      On the other hand, I sometimes think, better to live with benzos the rest of my life instead of another day with anxiety.
      It takes all my mental strength every day to live with this super-shrill sound in my head.
      So I do understand Amelia. But I would give her the advise trying without benzos amd getting used to T.
      Maybe take a benzo once a week to get some relief.
      What do you do Christian to cope with your T? How loud is it?
      Take care,
      Martin

19. Christian_B
      No Mood

Christian_B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07-2014
      @Martin69 i dont really do much besides living my life, i still have hard times sleeping and i would forever in the world hope i never got my T.. But im pretty sure that we will see a cure in the near future.

Another thing i believe everyone will habituate much faster if we dont take meds and try to mask the T all the time..

My T various a lot.. But its mosly low-medium ringing. Sleeping van still be a pain tho.

I sometimes take some nature medicin which is called Valerian, which is made from the baldrian rod.. Can help u sleep.

:)

20. inadmin

inadmin Member

What is this based on? Do you have any reference to support this claim?

21. Christian_B
      No Mood

Christian_B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07-2014
      Nerver claimed anything. I said it's my personal view.

22. Raindance74
      Yeehaw

Raindance74 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2010
      What do you mean by 'safe'? Every med has side effects, just wiki Valium, everythings there. I'm personally dumbfounded by people that talk about benzos like they're crack. Its like telling someone not to have a beer, they might become addicted. Every year millions of people around the world die from alcohol related disease and accidents, but the vast majority can enjoy it without any harm. Is there a chance you might end up a drug addicted prostitute because you decided to pop a Xanax one day? Sure. But be smart, start with a low dose, and dont abuse them and you'll be fine. Simple as that.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    23. Jeff-B
      Blah

Jeff-B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      The Doc's always ask me "how much alcohol do you drink"? , you should limit your intake as it may diminish the effects of the ant-depressants". I drink about 3 glass of wine EVERY night and also have a smoke (Tabacco), it's about all I look forward to now. No way will I not have a drink at night with my wife, it's one of the few things I do now that I look forward to. I only use valium when I need it, maybe 4 a week and I'm not going to feel guilty about taking it if it helps , just like the couple of glasses of wine , it all helps me.

24. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Just my opinion...@Amelia
      But gotta agree with @Raindance74 and others in this camp.

Your doctor, who you trust, is prescribing this, right? It's a low dose. It is for a limited amount of time. We are not talking about the rest of your life. You and your doctor are trying to figure out what's going on with your condition and the medication is appropriate for that condition. And most important: you are having what feels like heavy anxiety symptoms.

Take. The. Meds.

Again, just my opinion, although have been there so have had some experience. But I think you and your doctor know what's right for you.

I took anxiety drugs (Xanax/alprazolam) right after I developed tinnitus. Now, a year later, I am off them. And if I wasn't, who cares as long as I was a responsible, well adjusted person? These drugs saved me from utter, relentless panic.

I have taken blood pressure medications since I was in my 30s because I have weird congenital hypertension that can't be controlled by exercise and diet (I tried). Does anyone say I am "addicted" to blood pressure meds?

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    25. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Oh and given what I think you are saying here, that you now are on .5 mg Valium daily? That is a LOW dose. You will be fine.
      Hugs.

26. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      This whole dissing on benzo thing drives me crazyy! Life is hard enough if you have panic disorder/anxiety disorder... Add Tinnitus to that and it just makes it worse! If your doc perscribes you a Benzo just take it! Its not gonna kill you anymore then alcohol will. Drinking a glass of wine dont hurt right? Drink 3 bottles at once and youl probably overdose most likely. Take a full perscription of benzos and youl overdose. Alcohol is habbit forming, benzos are habbit forming. Taking what your perscribes is fine, just like enjoying a glass or two of wine at night. Both are different but the same exact thing! . Both have there addictive properties, yet alcohol is never perscribed for anxiety although sure it helps! Ive been on klonopin low dose for 2 and a half years and it still does the same effect as day 1 cause i DONT abuse and take as needed! And hey if you need it everyday then so do it! -- i was on them daily for 9 monthes! Now twice a week. And if my t were worse id bet my life id be on them the rest of my life and idc cause it brings me a little peice of mind. Anything that helps us get through this life + tinnitus = better for our selfbeing. Being a drug addict compared to being someone with a illness ( which i call T cause its as bad as anxiety) is alot different and its okay for us to take these when we need them. Just my opinion ofcorse :) i know what works for me thats all.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    27. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I like having a couple of drinks every day to cut the anxiety, and oh, a nice little bonus: If I miss a few days, I won't loose my head and go into dangerous withdrawal, it is quite nice indeed!

28. When REAL anxiety strikes for me there is 3 options, half a bottle of whisky, put on my shoes and run for 10kms or pop a Z pill. No Valerian root will ever help, not even a Valerian forrest i think. If you need the pill take it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    29. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Years ago and I'm talking years,there was a stigma attached to them,same like that's been talked about only this past week regarding depression,anxiety.
      Maybe this is another issue that needs opening up,less stigma attached to drugs I can remember a time if you were prescribed these meds you told no one,regardless .
      Di got me thinking ,about BP tablets,I'm on them daily for my BP,and yes I tell people I've got high BP,don't give that a second thought.
      Why are we all put into boxes,if you take XYZ,society does it,maybe we and I include myself shouldn't be so quick to judge,let old stigmas fade out of my life,ingrained from young age.
      Won't alter how mine began anxiety,wrong tablet for wrong diagnosis.simply just that.

• Like Like x 1
    30. Larry OT
      No Mood

Larry OT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Volume, meds and motorcycles
      After massive consistent anxiety attacks I went on 5mg Valium for sleep alongside the mirtazapine I take.
      My T has dropped significantly as with my anxiety at this dosage.

Is having less anxiety dropping the T or the drug is really turning volume down?
      Its been a week at this dosage and my T is greatly reduced.

I am hoping the zoloft I just started will help anxiety and panic and depression.
      Hell of a life.

• Useful Useful x 1