Vodka Lowered My Hyperacusis

Discussion in 'Support' started by Born To Slay, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Hey guys, just wanted to post this in case it helps anyone in the short or long term.

I spent 8 hours tipsy/low key drunk today and it numbed the heck out of my pain hyperacusis. My ears were burning this morning but after a few shots of vodka (40% alcohol), my hyperacusis was significantly lessened. I had a grand total of 6 shots today and it was awesome, it’s clear that the vodka numbed my entire body and that included my hyperacusis. I felt none of the burning or tingling and my LDLs were definitely increased during the time. My tinnitus was also lowered.

• Like Like x 3
    2. Nobody19

Nobody19 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Clubbing
      No surprises here ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    3. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Alcohol depresses the central nervous system.

4. Tavia R

Tavia R Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with condition
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with condition-recently diagnosed/treated for migraines
      K so excuse the underaged Christian over here who has never touched alcohol in her life,
      but I'm to the point of trying to get a medical marijuana licence and sobbing in every doctors office I'm in so y'all know I'm desperate for pain relief.

How drunk is low key tipsey, I know obviously you wouldn't be able to drive, but are you able to function with day to day tasks? I mean it would be awful to go from not being able to function because of pain and then not being able to function because you're drunk. Or would you just be using the vodka as a pain reliever on occasion for times you don't need to function, you just need to get through it, like a dinner party where you just want to be able to talk and hear and be a normal person?

Anyways, yes I'm very curious, please answer the poor little underage Christian's questions because heaven knows there is no one around here that wouldn't lecture me for asking, thanks

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      For me it’s just to be able to better tolerate sound when it’s acting up and I’m going to be by myself. If I have to socialize without pain, I take Phenibut. Unfortunately vodka and Phenibut aren’t permanent foxes since u can’t take it daily but I’m hoping to get a permanent fix when I get into pain management.

In terms of how drunk you can get tho, I’d experiment to see your perfect balance.

6. Lucifer

Lucifer Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Each person is different when drinking alcohol. Some people can only handle 1 drink before they are drunk and there are some people can handle 5 drinks before they are drunk.

If you are going to try out vodka I would definitely spread it out throughout the day if trying it out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Yeah, like I had 6 shots over like 8 hours.

8. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Of course you did. I took a sleeping pill this morning and my noise ain’t bad and it never made me sleep either. Not the normal thing to do but it worked.

9. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Not surprising.

Alcohol, in the same way as benzos are gabaergic.

Problem is, whenever you provide yourself with an external source of GABA, the drive to make more endogenous GABA diminishes. This is how tolerance develops.

If you've heard of taking GABA directly, the only way that it could have any effect is if it is combined with niacin.

I've had more success with using precursors of GABA. Heaps of products on the market to consider.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      This is very interesting. Are you saying that taking niacin with gabaergic substances prevents tolerance and dependence on substances like alcohol and Benzos?

11. Laurie1961
      No Mood

Laurie1961 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dental work
      Interesting. I've noticed the same with vodka but, noticed an opposite reaction with inexpensive peach snaps. Perhaps the answer we are going to be forced into is to find a brand of alcohol that works and drink daily? (I guess we could turn into drunks and then claim alcohol is our tinnitus medicinal treatment like so many potheads are now doing with their legal medical marijuana.) After 2 glasses of wine, unusual for me to drink, this past week, I experienced no tinnitus, no blurred vision, no hissing in the dental work filled tooth that is the focal point of my tinnitus, no pain in left foot and my hand didn't go paralyzed from holding onto metal. It was wonderful. I had energy and could think clearly.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Wonder if it also works with Scotch whisky?

I'll get back to you on that.