Post Your Favorite Anime/Cartoons

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by threefirefour, Oct 18, 2017.

1. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I'm sure a lot of people around my age here are into anime and cartoons. It's talked about all over the internet, but what kinds of stuff do you guys like?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    2. Kibakiru
      Creative

Kibakiru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 28 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown | PT: Unknown
      Gee, I ain't watched cartoons/anime religiously for a few years but I keep up with a few, mostly for nostalgia but also because my friends from Japan keep wanting me to watch everything they're watching so they can rant to me about it and I'll actually understand it/join in instead of mindlessly nodding my head along with them and pretending to care.

Ever since Naruto ended I've been watching Boruto, mostly to see where they go with it.

Anything with dark or creepy themes; Corpse Party, Tokyo Ghoul, Attack on Titan, Another, Shiki, Black Lagoon, Death Note, Cory in the House, Black Butler, Dramatical Murder (the anime is horrible but more pg-13 than the vn's) or anything by Nitro+Chiral (their visual novel games are always better), etc. My favourite is probably Shiki out of those.

Last anime movie I watched was Koe No Katachi (A Silent Voice), after it finally came out here. Not usually into animes with romantic themes but It was actually quite good.

Overall, I'm into the generic stuff but they keep me entertained - which isn't hard to do, really.

3. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Current Theory: Neck injury (Tendonitis @ trap/SCM junction)
      Steven Universe

If you want a cartoon you can watch without having to pay too much attention plot-wise (like many anime), but still has depth and a fresh look on many issues (especially for peeps with T:
      Steven Universe | Steven Dares To Argue With...
      ), look nowhere else. Each episode is only 11 minutes, animation is great, and the themes really tug at your heartstrings. The main plot kicks in around episode 26 I think, but it's well worth it.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I watched it all the way until a hiatus in 2016. I want to be able to keep up with it but the hiatus schedule is an absolute trainwreck. CN treats any show that isn't TTG or something like crap its really sad.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Weird, most Japanese people I met aren't very gun-ho about anime. One girl from Tokyo I met at college said she would sometimes watch One piece and watched OPM to see what the hype was about, and that's it.

I thought Shiki was okay. Was hoping for another season with that cliffhanger.

• Like Like x 1
    6. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I just started watching it a couple of months ago so I breezed through it. Sad to say but it's not coming back until "winter" (whenever that is). It's such a fresh show and it immediately captivated me; and I'm not usually a guy that watches too much cartoon network. I'm just kind of not into anime at the moment and the American shows are really taking it up to a new level (Avatar, Legend of Korra, Steven Universe, I tried Gravity Falls but Mable annoyed me so I stopped after two episodes). I think really great anime like FMA:Brotherhood and Hunter x Hunter have ruined anime for me because so much seems dull, contrived, and canned compared to those.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Yeah Anime isn't so much for everyone. A lot of it is just so cringey, and Ironically some Japanese people have a pretty bad taste in it. This is why shows like Eromanga-sensei are getting a second season and theres so much shitty Harem anime, yet shows like Watamote don't get anything due to "lack of ratings" (Despite the fact it was popular everywhere else except Japan).

Some American cartoons are phenominal, you just have to know where to look. Here's some cartoons I loved:

Duckman
      Steven Universe
      Dan VS
      Dr. Katz: professional therapist
      Home Movies
      The life and times of Tim
      South Park
      Three South
      Xavier: Renegade Angel
      Space Ghost, Coast to Coast
      The Boondocks
      Bojack horseman
      Moral Orel
      Dilbert (Cartoon)
      Futurama
      God, the Devil, And Bob

That's a few, but yeah, there's some great stuff out there.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. Kibakiru
      Creative

Kibakiru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 28 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown | PT: Unknown
      Not all of my friends are into it, definitely. Maybe 2 are avid watchers. The older ones aren't too into it, though they like the odd movie or so. Either that or they keep their interests to themselves, since most of them are very reserved ; which is fine.

I wanted another season too but I wasn't too bothered by the cliff-hanger finale. But I'm a fan of open endings, so I'm bias.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      True open endings are fine. I prefer that only really good anime with a good premise get a second season. Most anime (and cartoons) really only need one season. I just don't want an anime to ever end like Panty and Stocking did to reach for dat second season grant.

• Agree Agree x 3
    10. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah I used to be big into anime. I've seen all the "classics" like Dragon Ball, DBZ, Cowboy Bebop, both FMA's, Kenshin, Samurai Champloo, multiple Gundams (both UC and alternate universe, my first was Wing but 00 is the best imo), Evangelion (original), Escaflowne, Pokemon (indigo league), Outlaw Star, Naruto, Bleach, and so many more...

I've even watched newer ones like Magi, One Punch Man, My Hero Academia, and some others I can't think of at the moment. I kinda got into Fate/Zero but I just stopped watching it for no reason. I tried Seven Deadly Sins but it was just too much fanservice that it was cringey. It's the same reason I stopped watching Fairy Tail a few years back (it's basically hentai at this point).

I kinda feel like I've seen all the tropes. Maybe it's because I watched mostly shounen anime so it's always about "protecting my friends... power ups that come out of nowhere... the power of 'friendship'... chicks who automatically love the protagonist even though he's antisocial and doesn't talk to them... characters die oh wait no they survived... and various tropes, etc."

That's why when I came upon Hunter x Hunter this year I was blown away. The last time I was blown away like that was with Brotherhood. Before that I can't remember... perhaps Samurai Champloo maybe? To be fair I still need to watch two shows that I've heard are actually above the rest: Deathnote and Attack on Titan.

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Imo death note was awesome until a certain key character dies (no spoilers) and AOT had poor release pacing and I lost interest overtime. The later season had a few "jump the shark" moments. Not as bad as Sword art online, but still not great.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm not really into the Adult Swim cartoon humor (e.g. Bojack, Space Ghost, Aqua Teen, etc.). Boondocks is great, never really got into Futurama. Been watching South Park for over a decade and it's still strong.

My American cartoon tastes are more lighthearted yet serious (e.g. Avatar, Korra, Steven Universe). One recent show I have enjoyed is Voltron: Legendary Defender. Definitely better than the old Voltron. Interestingly, it's the American shows that have anime influence that I really like. They've managed to take the best from anime (animation and action) and leave out the cringey fanservice and unrealistic gender relations.

• Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Sure but anime influence is always a fine line that should be tread carefully on. You could get some amazing shows like Teen titans, Avatar (both of them), Steven universe, and the Boondocks (samurai champloo influence). Done badly you could end up with a My Life Me.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't watch too many American cartoons so I guess I haven't come upon what you've observed. It's kind of sad that cartoons in the US (other than the stoner Adult Swim stuff) is mostly "kiddy" stuff. Of course you have Avatar, etc. but I wish there was more. I mean the Marvel Netflix stuff and Game of Thrones is good, but sometimes I just want animation (and not that CG stuff but an artistic style).

• Like Like x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      There's some great kids cartoons too, but it's a shame the west hasn't been taking animation seriously until recently. And America is pretty much the only good western country with animation. Sure there's others like *some* Canadian shows, England with Monkey Dust, and Mexico with Destiny Quest, but other than a few exceptions america is the only western country producing any good animation.

And I don't care for marvel recently. They're putting out a lot more stuff but they've started pandering to normies. From a monatary standpoint it makes sense but it's still sad to see.

• Agree Agree x 2
    16. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems/ETD
      I bought The Legend of Korra as a Christmas present for myself. I'm up to season 3 and I love it. What a shame that it wasn't handled better. I think it's just as good, and at times better, than Avatar. Gotten into My Little Pony recently (more the movie) I don't think it's solid writing, but a cute little show with a few clever moments.

I haven't been keeping up with my anime since T hit. I had been in the middle of finally wrapping up Inuyasha and Silver Spoon.

Been flirting with the idea of buying the new Escaflowne bluray release since it's supposed to look better and have extra scenes.

Any new anime worth of noting? I like quality of writing over popularity. (Simoun, Red Garden, and such.)

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Ren and Stimpy, Ugly Americans, Rick and Morty.

I used to like South Park, but now that their politics had changed, I won't watch it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I miss when they had a more libertarian vibe but whatever. If you watch a lot of cartoons you have to be able to tolorate liberalism, because for some reason they're all liberal. What made me stop watching was that season 20 fell apart. Hopefully it gets back on track but the seasons have morphed almost into one long TV movie.

• Creative Creative x 1
    19. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I like shows with a story arc that lasts the entire season (or longer). Too bad!

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      yeah they're cool but I think it doesn't work as well with South Park. Some of the running gags get old after a while. They need to focus on a balance between a story arc and one-off episodes. By focusing on the season long story arc formula, they lose their famous sponanaity.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    21. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I am glad that I haven't missed as much as I thought I would miss when I decided to never watch that show ever again.

American Dad seems to have "jumped the shark"...

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I've noticed, which was a bummer because it was a semi-decent alternative to family guy. Ironically family guys newest season is a slight improvement, but that's not saying much.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    23. Jake007

Jake007 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss for long time, chainsaw, infections
      Beavis and butthead, family guy, South park. And a old favorite from long time ago, dominion tank police.

• Like Like x 2
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I haven't heard of DTP in a while.

25. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      I'm old school tom and jerry

• Like Like x 2
    26. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I can't believe I forgot about Beavis and Butthead when I was putting together my list.

• Like Like x 1
    27. Jake007

Jake007 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss for long time, chainsaw, infections
      I liked the movie to.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    28. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems/ETD
      I quit watching Family Guy and South Park last season. They just didn't seem to be that good anymore.

• Agree Agree x 2
    29. Kratos
      Dreaming

Kratos Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Stress
      I like Straight Shotacon.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    30. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      I would recommend Steven Universe to anyone on this forum, regardless of age. It is a beautiful show, both in its artwork and the themes that it touches on. While there is no 1:1 in regards to tinnitus, the show deals a lot with loss and grief, an emotion that very much applies to one's health and not just the death of a loved one. The show is best at simple approaches and takes a minimalist approach that is so intelligent, the only other work that is as good at subverting ones expectations in my memory is the works of George RR Martin. It is a show that I really think is better when you know less. (As in, don't read in too much about it before watching)

• Like Like x 2