What's Your Favorite Homemade Healthy Meal?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by momus, Apr 24, 2023.

1. momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      If I had my way, I'd eat 505 roasted green chili and chicken burritos every meal. Donuts too. Fortunately, the other side of my brain sometimes overrides that.

This is a high energy soup recipe. Fresh pineapple, tomato slices, ginger, garlic, 1/2 lemon, jalapeno, Louisiana hot sauce, black pepper, 1 egg, walnuts, red bell pepper, green onions, baked sweet potato, strawberries, cooked brown rice, and broccoli cooked in a base of water w/ a packet of Asian sweet & sour soup mix. Low sodium chicken broth can be substituted for the Asian soup packet.

Chop up the things the way want and set aside. Saute the garlic and jalapeno just a bit in olive oil, then add the soup packet and water (you can add more water later, so start w/ a minimal amount). After it's hot, whip the egg up in a cup or bowl and slowly add to the soup. It will separate into strands. Add the chopped veggies. After cooking a short while, add the brown rice (not too much) and squeeze half a lemon into it. Add the chopped green onion, fruit and walnuts. Don't over cook, and season at the last w/ hot sauce and black pepper. I like to make the chopped fruit and veggies pretty large.

Feel free to substitute your favorite fruit and veggies, or use whatever is on hand. This particular recipe makes a delicious soup w/ tons of antibacterial power. Despite the carbs (all complex carbs) it will leave you energized after eating it. It's important not to over cook it. I usually make enough for 3 or 4 servings.

If you have a favorite healthy meal, please add it to the thread.

• Like Like x 6
    2. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      • Lamb Curry
      • Lamb Neck
      • Onions
      • Garlic
      • Green chilies
      • Bell peppers
      • Chopped tomatoes
      • Chick peas
      • Coriander
      • Turmeric
      • Garam Masala
      • Paprika
      • Salt and Pepper
      • Side salad with a homemade sauce (lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper, white wine, vinegar).
      Easy for me as I don't buy ready meals/junk food.

• Like Like x 6
    3. Strawberryblonde
      Chowing

Strawberryblonde Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1st mild (6/12/2015) mild-mod (3/5/2022)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HEADPHONES/TMJ/ETD/SINUSES/AMITRIPTYLINE one of them???
      Do you deliver :LOL:

• Like Like x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      One of my favourite homemade meals is: oxtail, basmati rice, corn on the cob, and a variety of steamed vegetables. When oxtail is prepared properly, it can be immensely flavourful, but it can take up to 3 to 4 hours to cook on the gas stove (hob), therefore I use a pressure cooker which takes about 90 minutes, so the meat easily falls off the bone. I usually cook enough to make 4 to 6 meals, then allow it to cool, before portioning it out into freezer food bags.

Method:

The oxtail should be washed in balsamic vinegar, this adds flavour and helps to tenderise the meat. It is placed into a bowl and seasoned with season-all. Although this mixture is salt based, it contains a variety of other spices: paprika, black pepper, onion, garlic and chilli pepper. I add chopped bell peppers, sliced onions, scallions, crushed garlic, mixed herbs and a pinch of pimiento powder. I sprinkle some worcestershire and soya sauce over the meat, then add 2 to 4 table spoons of tomato ketchup. Everything is then rubbed together then covered with cling-film and the bowl is placed in the fridge, to allow the meat and seasoning to marinate overnight.

Before placing the oxtail into the pressure cooker, I lightly brown each piece in a frying pan. This helps to seal the meat and give it colour. Water should just cover the meat when placed in the pressure cooker. If needed, salt can be added to the water to one's taste. I usually add Bisto gravy granules or oxo cube for colour and thickening.

Michael

• Like Like x 5
    5. Jammer

Jammer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      How often do you make it?

6. Juliane
      Heartbroken

Juliane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise /acoustic trauma
      Salmon steak with salad made of chickpeas, baby spinach, cherry tomatoes, raisins, bell pepper and sliced carrots. I top the salad with virgin olive oil and apple cider vinegar. If I feel the meal needs a bit more fat, I sometimes add fresh mozzarella to the salad.

• Like Like x 5
    7. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Sounds delicious. It's difficult to find the patience to prepare something like this. I find the rewards of marinating meats overnight certainly rewarding though.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    8. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Probably once or twice a month.

9. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It is quite a delicious meal and well worth the effort. I like cooking and enjoy eating good food. I have a number of recipes in repertoire. I make my own hot pepper sauce, as shop bought does nothing for me. I learnt this from my late mother and have tweaked it over the years. I think she'd be pleased, as is my next door neighbour who likes it a lot.

It consists of Scotch Bonnet or Habanero peppers, which are finely chopped in a food processor with the seeds, to retrain the heat. Add carrots, onions, chayote. Add white vinegar, then blend everything using a hand/stick blender. I had to buy a professional catering blender, as I make up to 13 jars of pepper sauce using a large catering pot. To give the sauce an extra zing, I'll add a couple Trinidad Moruga scorpion peppers - these are super hot chilies. The sauce is brought to a simmer on the gas hob, and slowly cooked for 30 to 45 minutes, then cooled.

I use the sauce in cooking and add it to most of my meals.

Michael

IMG20230707151856.jpg

IMG20230707151823.jpg

• Like Like x 6
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    10. BrysonKingMe

BrysonKingMe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paradoxical on Klonopin leading to a shitton of other proble
      A bowl of my tears and past regrets, cooked on high over a gas stove for 2 hours.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    11. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Stuart-T Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax or COVID-19 infection
      I make a spicy salad.
      • fresh spinach chopped (lots of this, by volume it will be 50%, I tend to use about 240g, the magnesium content also seems to drive my tinnitus down)
      • cucumber fine cubed
      • vine tomatoes chopped
      • pickled cucumber chopped
      • sun dried tomato chopped
      • spring onions chopped
      • celery chopped
      • red pepper chopped
      • fine chopped hot green chili x 2
      • olive oil
      • salt
      • and added and tossed with this mix is diced cooked chicken breast or chopped smoked mackerel
      Not going to get healthier than that dish. Absolutely sizzling, mouth watering and low calorie, low carb, all raw.

It takes me 20 minutes to eat that and really just 400 calories or so max.

I may have a small slice of seeded wholemeal bread and butter with it to add 100 calories.

• Like Like x 4
    12. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Joe Cuber Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gradual hearing loss + a huge amount of stress
      Sounds like a good salad. I'll have to try sun-dried tomatoes sometime.
      Perhaps it's the folate?

13. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Stuart-T Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax or COVID-19 infection
      Maybe - I know spinach is a top source of Magnesium.

It may also have anti-inflammatory properties.

• Like Like x 1
    14. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      Me and my mom made some homemade pesto fettuccine (whole wheat) with some grill chicken yesterday. Didn’t have enough pesto sauce to put on the chicken unfortunately. White meat > red meat.

DB824C52-2C2D-42C7-BACD-D7B83EFE74D3.jpeg

Pesto sauce ingredients
      • Basil
      • Garlic
      • Parmesan
      • Pine nuts
      • Extra virgin olive oil.
      Dump all those ingredients in a blender. I let my mom blend the ingredients together. Don’t want to be around that noise :/

• Like Like x 6