What Do You Take for Pain Relief? Ibuprofen and Aspirin Are Big No-Nos for Tinnitus Sufferers!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Beachpony, Mar 5, 2022.

1. Beachpony

Beachpony Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/29/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      LOUD boom from a cannon.
      What does everyone here take to relieve pain? Ibuprofen and Aspirin are big no-no’s!

I have heard mixed things about Curcumin and Turmeric. I’ve heard they work and I have also heard they can set off your tinnitus.

Right now I am in a lot of pain with bicep tendinitis and pain in my neck from some bulging discs and I am dying for some relief! Made the big mistake today of taking some Advil and my tinnitus is a 10 right now!

I had an acoustic blast injury four years ago which is what triggered my tinnitus. Sometimes it’s down to pretty much a zero and then at times it’s between five and 10.

Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions!

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Ben Johnson

Ben Johnson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cervicogenic headaches, Anxiety, OCD, Zoloft
      I've got the same question. I've seen some pros and cons for Tylenol.

I used heat and lavender oil for headache earlier today. I guess it helped. The headache eventually subsided. Hopefully someone helpful will chime in soon. Hope you feel better.

• Like Like x 1
    3. buttercake

buttercake Guest

Probably Paracetamol? I personally took Ibuprofen several times with no adverse effects (but for no more than 2 days in a row).

Since your tinnitus had already an oscillatory nature, I would be careful in blaming the Advil for the current spike you are experiencing.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      I use Zyflamend, a cocktail of various anti inflammatory herbs and such. But ice and heat are probably going to give you more relief. Bulging discs like ice. Tight muscles like heat. If you don't have one it is worth investing in a good gel pack.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      I take both Ibuprofen and Paracetamol regularly. Neither have had an effect on my tinnitus.

Aspirin, however can cause tinnitus - though I believe you only get tinnitus whilst taking it. If you stop, it apparently goes away.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Beachpony

Beachpony Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/29/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      LOUD boom from a cannon.
      @buttercake, consider yourself lucky that you can take Ibuprofen. It is known to cause tinnitus. I’ve had this long enough to know that every time I go near it it’s a really bad idea and really sets it off!

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Beachpony

Beachpony Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/29/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      LOUD boom from a cannon.
      @AfroSnowman, I will definitely look into Zyflamend! Thank you so much!

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Beachpony

Beachpony Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/29/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      LOUD boom from a cannon.
      @Steph1710, you’re very lucky you can take both of those things. Being super sensitive like I am they definitely set it off.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. buttercake

buttercake Guest

NSAIDs at excessively high doses are known to "induce inner ear disturbances, causing tinnitus and mild to moderate hearing loss", cfr. this paper. The ototoxic effects of high doses (= several grams per day) of salicylates are also well documented, see this other paper.

Tinnitus brought by a single / occasional use is merely anecdotal.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Beachpony

Beachpony Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/29/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      LOUD boom from a cannon.
      @buttercake, if it didn’t set my ears off I wouldn’t have posted this. I can tell you with living with this horrific condition for over four years, every single time I have taken Advil when I’m desperate to get out of pain, my ears go through the roof.

I don’t know why you are arguing with me this is my own personal experience. I am extremely sensitive to everything so what would be considered a low for someone else, would be high for my sensitive system. This is not the place to argue. I was just looking for advice for alternatives to Advil and aspirin. Like I said, consider yourself lucky it doesn’t affect you. I live in pain 24/7 and the last thing I need is to argue with someone about my personal experience.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

Diclofenac and Ibuprofen spike my tinnitus severely. Diclofenac also caused my TTTS to go crazy for awhile. Like days or weeks I can’t remember exactly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. buttercake

buttercake Guest

One must of course listen to his/her own body. That is the best rule of thumb. But saying that NSAIDs are "ototoxic" or "cause tinnitus" is an overstatement or partially incorrect; a panicked newbie who comes here and reads such things might be induced to think that a single pill of whatever medication has a potential to bring an irreversible worsening. That is simply (statistically) not true. Anyway, I have "sabotaged" (it was not intentional though, I just cannot come up with the correct English word at the moment) enough this thread. Goodbye.

• Agree Agree x 2
    13. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Leaf blower, rock band, constr & comp shooting, chemo
      I agree with this. Ibuprofen does not spike my tinnitus. For a few days after my recent major surgery the combination of Tylenol and Oxycodone did spike my tinnitus but only temporarily and this stopped after I stopped those medicines three days after surgery. We are all bio individual so we all have different reactions to medicines and supplements. As mentioned, listen to your body.

George

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Óscar PP
      Psychedelic

Óscar PP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Coronavirus
      I take Ibuprofen and Aspirin with no effect on my tinnitus.

15. Daystar
      No Mood

Daystar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma
      Hello,

I have been struggling with ear-problems since 2018, for more in depth you can go to my introduction thread.

But in November 2022 I also experienced eye problems. I suddenly got a blind spot in my left eye (same side as my bad ear, if that would matter). I got examined by an eye doctor two days after the spot appeared and they could see that I had a micro blood clot in the eye.

I recently had a conversation with my ENT and mentioned the eye problems too. And he thinks I should go for a three month Aspirin (50 mg) course to see if it could help my ear problems since they might be related (micro clots that have been the cause of my ear problems maybe?).

I have not yet found any cause of this blood clot as my blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar levels are all good, which are the main things that can cause blood clots. I am also relatively young (26) for a clot.

Can a low dose (50 mg daily) of Aspirin likely to cause or worsen tinnitus? My ENT is understanding and is careful with other medications that have tinnitus as side effects. But he says that a low daily dose should not affect the tinnitus at all.

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. HearingHell

HearingHell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly noise + COVID-19
      I've taken both 400 mg of Ibuprofen and 500 mg of Tylenol at the same time. They had no effect on my hearing.