What Do You THINK Is Causing Your Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by luckyman316, May 15, 2014.

1. luckyman316

luckyman316 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      For many of you, you might know that it's due to a loud noise or loud noises that caused it. For some, ours came out of nowhere for no reason at all. I'll start on mine:

I think mine is due to a virus that is affecting my liver. I'll know for sure as I am treated and if it diminishes or goes away when the virus is undetectable, then it's definitely that. Might take 6 months or even 2 years.

2. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Mine is probably due to loud music, but I guess many other factors play a role as well (genetics, ototoxic meds, immune system, teeth). I dont really look for the cause or try to fix anything though, I just avoid loud music, certain meds :)

3. Maddy
      Doubtful

Maddy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/3/14
      I think my T may be caused by ETD (Eustachian tube dysfunction) or fluid in the middle ear

4. Penelope33
      Torn

Penelope33 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2013
      Mine is from too much self pleasure, not sure if it were oxygen loss whilst orgasms or high blood pressure or hormone imbalance tho. Either way, my ears felt stuffed up like they had when I'd been on a long flight or had a bad cold.

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 2
    5. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      One night out clubbing second time I went clubbing ever:)So noise I guess done it.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. Earthless
      Cowboy

Earthless Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Matt Pike
      Mine is aliens trying to contact me.

• Funny x 5
      • Like x 3
      • Agree x 1
      • Hug x 1
      • Creative x 1
    7. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I think aliens are trying to contact me also but dialed the wrong number!

• Like Like x 7
      • Funny Funny x 2
    8. ashley
      Busy

ashley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/28/2014
      I think I had an acute vascular insufficiency while stretching and am now left with tinnitus!

9. pef

pef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/16/2013
      One discharge of a full house .357 Magnum from a 2 1/8" Snub nose revolver in a very small enclosed space with no sound absorbing material.

Instant lifelong tinnitus.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    10. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Years of acoustic trauma in the form of 8-10 hour benders at loud nightclubs, studio time and a barotrauma also caused by a botched valsalva maneuver attempt. I also think my GABA receptors are messed up from long term hypnotic use.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    11. jewellanne1010

jewellanne1010 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Inner ear barotrauma

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      Concussion. T is a post concussion symptom here

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    13. Cassidy
      Wishful

Cassidy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress Overdrive
      Stress, extreme long-term stress. Oh and did I mention stress?
      Prolonged high cortisol (maybe adrenaline :unsure:).

14. Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Auditory Deprivation. I wore earplugs to bed every night for about 5 years and I was in bed for 10 hours and at home studying mainly were I swear its more silent than a sound proof room, haha So because I was getting zero input sound, my brain decided to make its own. Yay. But yer, either that or like said above, aliens are trying to talk to me :p

• Like Like x 1
    15. DanielJP
      Curious

DanielJP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Too many Karaoke sessions while wearing tinfoil hats.

• Genius Genius x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    16. Ray Seddon
      Amused

Ray Seddon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unprotected hearing damage
      Years driving an open-cab tractor and a .243 rifle often, stupidly not using earplugs. Got me for life and serves me I guess.

17. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      ototoxic meds plus aspirin weakened my ears, as now and then i'd have some ringing but nothing to really be concerned about as it always went away. Then one day my husband drilled with a blunt drill bit and the high pitched ear piercing sound was awful, if i had of known this could hurt me i would have went out while he was doing the drilling, but i didn't know, hence tinnitus for the rest of my life.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    18. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Super loud 110+ decibel fire/smoke alarm in a very small shed for a couple of minutes, eardrums beating hard! :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    19. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      I got mine from hearing damage as a result of running a marathon. Hearing loss and hyperacusis immediately after the race, crickets sound the next day, then pulsatile tinnitus about a month later.

But don't worry, I am a special case; most people won't get hearing damage from running. I have enlarged vestibular aqueducts which just means I am more sensitive to head pressure and jarring movements. Wish I had known that beforehand.

-Mike

20. Penelope33
      Torn

Penelope33 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2013
      Hi mike, did your ears feel stuffed up after the race before t? Was it high blood pressure? Do you still have cricket noise now or pulastile?

21. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      High Mick 1987, how are you doing? i've left Spain now and am back home, i'm still struggling with this damn T, how is yours since the car bonnet episode, hope it's gone back to base line.

22. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi carol, I'm doing very well thanks for asking, my tinnitus maybe mellowed a little since, but habituation kicked in so I'm not bothered about my tinnitus a lot of the time anymore.

Sorry to hear your still struggling, but 6 months is still pretty early, I was still an emotional mess at 6 months, the fear was overwhelming, the negative thoughts etc, but after a good year i was getting bored of reacting to the noise, now at 20 months its ALOT better, you just lose interest after a while, you are going to be fine. :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    23. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      Immediately after the race everything hurt and nothing felt right so it's hard to say. My hearing after the race was more muffled than normal and I had a drop in hearing. It slowly returned over the next few weeks to pre-race levels. I also had some distortion in some frequencies, which also went away. I have never had high blood pressure, though I am not too far away from being borderline.

Today I have crickets/hissing sound all the time, but I only notice in quiet places. In addition to that I have a ringing sound that sort of pulses with my heartbeat and is worst when I am more active.

-Mike

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    24. applewine
      Curious

applewine Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ME/CFS, Dysautonomia
      Mine was some kind of reaction to a medication / drug / poison. It was either directly ototoxic or caused a pressure problem in the ears. After I took it I couldn't balance and felt pressure in my ears. Since then I've had tinnitus. I was in a state of diminished critical thinking capacity due to prolonged pain of unknown cause and found a pain medication online that was made from a dangerous plant. I somehow got the dosage wrong and shouldn't have taken it anyway.

I also developed TMJ dysfunction or cranial issues right after taking that, so I thought for a while that maybe that was causing my T. It may be causing one of my T noises, but I have about 3 in each ear. I also get numbness below my eyes. For a while I was getting electric shocks in the side of my head. I was also getting strange nausea and dizziness attacks that were very painful.

I then tried to do the right thing and get my trigger points treated and my massage therapist suggested I see her doctor and he told me I had lyme disease using a non-approved test. I eventually tried treatment from another doctor and then developed a third health problem which is strange paresthesias all over that feel like cold water and burning. So, I wish I had not taken those antibiotics. Two bad choices I can't undo.

I've got a lot of trigger point pain in my lower and upper trapezius muscles and my neck and head muscles.

25. kenny
      English

kenny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Probably listening to my motherinlaw constantly nagging:dohanimation:

• Like Like x 4
      • Funny Funny x 1
    26. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Thanks Mick, you've always made me feel better, i'm so glad you're doing well.

• Hug Hug x 1
    27. JeffTexas

JeffTexas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Still not sure. I quit taking Lipitor that I had been on for 10 years, quit taking Klonopin and Celexa which I had been on for 2 months and 1 week respectivelely, , was very sick with flu-like symptoms, still not sure what with, and also had acid reflex from quitiing omeprazole, which I had been on for two years, within a week of when mine started. I've had one doctor suggest I have Eustachian Tube Dysfunction and another suggest I have Meniere's because they found some inner ear pressure when doing vestibular testing on me. I've had ringng in my ears for 6 months now, along with crackling and popping. Not sure how to treat it since I don't know what caused it.

28. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Mr. Cartman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi!

Whats up with those electrical shocks? I have them too.. They started out when I first got T so Im kinda sure they are related. Never had those pre T. Im kinda starting to believe that it could be caused by a pinched nerve in the neck or back.

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Mine began after a head virus,there not sure wether it was Meningitis or the Shingles virus,virus took 4 months to go,and loosing over 4 stone in weight in that period,then felt like deafness,but I could hear okay,then the hissing began,weird the deafness bit.My husband said think now you've got tinnitus when I described the hissing sound ( he'd had it for over 30 yrs )in all that 4 months I'd taken Paracetamol only.I do believe one knows the start of its cause.My husbands was the worst of a head cold ,to this day I can recall all these 30 some odd yrs later his bad cold,which led on to his tinnitus.Most of my family and local friends with this say the same to theirs beginnings down the tinnitus road,some can pin point it back to a med they were taking at that time of tinnitus onset. We know what we know as to its origin,be interested to hear how others say there's began,not that it's going to change what happened,but anyone by chance viewing this site will be aware,how it can begin.

30. michela
      Dramaqueen

michela Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Neenie, how are you actually now that some time has passed? how is your mood?