What Helped Me Habituate — Earplugs, Sleeping Habits, Avoiding Reading About Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sudbury, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Sudbury

Sudbury Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      Hi, my tinnitus arrived 6 years ago and habituated with these 3 things:

1 - Earplugs in quiet rooms... the sound level increases, but it sounds like it’s external, so it’s much easier to block out.

2 - I go to bed when I’m really sleepy.

3 - Avoid these forums or anything that reminds you of the noise.

Last week the sound of my tinnitus increased, so I’m back to habituating. BTW I’m wearing ear plugs as I research several things on the net. Hope this helps.

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. JohnFox

JohnFox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Sudden loss of 100% hearing R ear with Tinnitus
      I'm already beginning to habituate, or maybe just getting used to it. (same thing?) Anyway, I notice too that when I wear a NC headset it makes the T sound like it's coming thru the headset, thus a help to ignore it...(lousy headphones! All that static and chirping coming thru these things!!) ;-) Unlike you though, I find that getting involved with this forum has been a confidence booster and has helped me to feel not so lost. I guess I have found more positive nurturing in here than negative.

• Funny Funny x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sudbury

Sudbury Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      Great to hear !

After I first habituated, I found any T discussion would focus me back on the noise. The forums are positive, I just to avoid the reminders.

4. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @Sudbury Are you actively avoiding noisy places too?

5. JohnFox

JohnFox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Sudden loss of 100% hearing R ear with Tinnitus
      I am, as much as possible. I cannot handle places like restaurants or coffee shops unless I can sit outside. Being outside helps quite a bit. Something about being inside with the sound waves bouncing off the walls in a noisy atmosphere that causes my T to shoot way up. If I can't avoid those places, I will simply use an ear plug to plug up my good ear.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sudbury

Sudbury Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      @Flamingo. I don’t avoid noisy places, but I use 3M ear plugs, which I buy from a safety supply store.

7. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I am glad you have habituated! I can agree with points 2 and 3, but the first one is what I would do. If your environment is not loud, why use earplugs? Using earplugs can possibly increase the obsession with the noise that a tinnitus sufferer hears. Also, it can possibly lead to hyperacusis and fear of sounds. Over-protection is not what I would do. I am glad you are doing well.......