What Is Habituation?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dave Neale, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Dave Neale

Dave Neale Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec 9th 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden Single Sided Hearing Loss
      I'm new to this tinnitus thing. I went deaf in December in my left ear, and have had tinnitus in my head ever since. The tinnitus on its own isn't too bad, except at bed times and when I am quiet. The problems I have is when I go in to loud areas, mainly bars, cafes etc, then my tinnitus spikes from the noise that my good ear picks up.

I'm just wondering about two things really:

1) If anyone on this forum has habituated to spiking variable tinnitus?

and

2) What is habituation - is it that the brain just lives with the noise, or does it really block it from our conscience?

Thanks.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Habituation means you are not emotionally bothered by tinnitus and can function normally and live a good life and adapted well.
      You can hear it if focus on it like now for me-
      My ears are loud but not bothering me and still feeling my happy self .

We can all get spikes and cause us problems but will settle down again and carry on as before.
      Being positive in life is a big help as there is nothing positive in being negative....lots of love glynis

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dave Neale

Dave Neale Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec 9th 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden Single Sided Hearing Loss
      @glynis Wow that sounds great. Especially since at the moment all i want is to be as I was previously. ;-(

I've been referred to a Tinnitus team at Queens hospital in Bham, and hopefully they will be offering CBT. Is that what you did, or di you just naturally habituate via brain neuroplasticity

4. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I've never had CBT..
      I do have maskers and hearing aids with maskers but since I was put on Nortryptaline a low dose it has helped alot and not needed to wear them .
      I will always have tinnitus and hearing loss due to menieres
      ...lots of love glynis

5. Rings-a-Bell

Rings-a-Bell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic Trauma
      So if someone has habituated, how many times per day would they normally notice their T? For example I used to notice my T over 1000 times per day, but lately (especially when I am working on something), I can forget about it for 30 to 60 minutes. The total number of times I notice my T has gone down to maybe 60-80 times per day. Not only that my emotional reaction when I do notice it is less strong. Is this habituation? Is this as far as it goes though? Or does a fully habituated person have days where they don't notice it at all?

The one place habituation hasn't helped at all is in the peaceful quiet moments... looking up at the stars at night or taking a moment of peaceful repose. My T can get forgotten when I am concentrating on work or talking with people but never when I am trying to be "in the moment".

6. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I can hear mine most of the time in both ears and now just adapted I couldnt care less aproach to it now.
      You are doing great and you will have hours,minites and even days where you might not notice it and get your life on track and enjoy it as we should.

Spikes can still come and give us a little wobble but we have to tough it out and put everything that helps us cope in to action and look forwards to better days...lots of love glynis

7. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    8. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Glad to hear that after all the TRT nonsense and maskers you've discovered that it's good old fashioned medication that can actually help with tinnitus. You are lucky your doctor pointed this out - most GPs don't know about medications for tinnitus - and the audiology industry naturally don't want them to find out. Hope the meds have helped you with your work as a school-teacher.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. MarioT
      No Mood

MarioT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress + SSRI medication
      I can only try to define habituation based solely on own experience:

It can be described as a state in which your senses, mind and emotions are focused on anything BUT your tinnitus. The effect is that it gets filtered out of your conciousness and, at least temporarily, it is as if it wasn't there in the first place. This can even happen in a totally silent room if your mind drifts off and you are in a state of relaxation.

It happens naturally, as soon as you get "used" to it over time and the "panic mode" dissipates.

BUT, and this is I think the bad news: habituation is not something that occurs once in time and after that you re
      set for life. It reoccurs and vanishes continuously. Every day is a new battle and there are good and bad times.

10. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Habituation is all about how loud it is ,,dont beat yourself up if you cant its not that your mentally weak

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. dgray

dgray Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, High Frequency Hearing Loss
      Does TRT work? I have been told that in TRT, they want you off these types of forums. These forums are hope for me, not discouragement. I do not read or pay attention to the horror stories or purely negative posts. I do not think they are healthy.

12. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      There's very little evidence (solid research evidence that is rather than hearsay) for TRT actually being effective. White noise generators are now often regarded as doing more harm than good. They were certainly no use in my own experience. The counselling aspects are a nice little earner for the Counselling community but again apart from a certain amount of reassurance do very little.

The three things which can help are: 1. medication in the early horrible stages 2. Careful ear protection to avoid dangerous prolonged exposure to loud noise - that can involve major lifestyle changes unfortunately if you like loud music or even cinema visits 3. Time.

13. dgray

dgray Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you sir. This (7) months has been long. If I can ask, have you habituated? If so, how long did it take you to do so. Thank-you for helping me. - douglas

14. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      I've suffered from tinnitus for nearly five years now. The first year was definitely the worst but the last four have been difficult also. Over time I think you do gradually get used to tinnitus but that doesn't stop it often being unpleasant and annoying. To repeat slightly what I said before I would say that medication can help in the early stages, taking each day step by step and learning that your relationship with sound is never quite the same again - I haven't been able to go to the cinema in years and avoid very noisy environments generally.

15. dgray

dgray Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank-you. I hope you get better.

16. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Thank you. I am better in terms of the tinnitus - most days thankfully it's only a minor irritant. I come on these websites mainly to offer advice and in particular to counter the long posts by certain forum members that you have to do things their way (the TRT way). You don't have to and for most people it doesn't work.

In terms of the avoidance of loud noise - that's never going to change because tinnitus does change our relationship with noise permanently.

17. dgray

dgray Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dave, thanks. I personally appreciate the support. I haven't seen much substantial documentation of TRT being fail-safe on here. Do people on this site speak successfully regarding TRT?

18. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      Is there anyone who has habituated and don’t hear their tinnitus anymore. It is there but you don’t hear it. This is an old thread. Thanks.

19. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      What happens if you go to the cinema? I haven’t had any problems.