What's Better? Staying Home on Sickness or Work a Job with a Bit of Noise?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dja, Oct 20, 2019.

1. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      Understood.

I know that many times it's loud noise. But I also hear stories (on here) of people having stable tinnitus for a decade, then having it get worse for another decade, and then worse again. I'm trying to figure out if these are indication that tinnitus sort of has a mind of its own, or if something really happened each time that caused the tinnitus to get worse. The latter doesn't mean I'm safe - bit it does mean I have some control over my future date. That alone provides some comfort (if true).

2. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      Thanks for explaining your story Muso - for some reason I had the impression that you'd been suffering with your tinnitus for longer than you have. Yours actually sounds like it only predates mine by a bit.

Sorry that you've having such a hard time. I have good days and bad days, but (so far) I generally find that I can navigate my way through them. I'm worried that my tinnitus could suddenly decide it wants to get worse though, which is the reason for my questions.

Back onto the topic of the thread, for me working helps a lot: when I'm at the office (which is super quiet, thankfully), my tinnitus gets masked pretty nicely (and safely). I do have a sizable drive in, but I think that being home all day, every day, would be considerably worse.

• Like Like x 1
    3. RishRamsey
      Doubtful

RishRamsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stupid DJ
      I also do have a sizaeble drive and work keeps me distracted (could still hear the tinnitus in my office - it's quiet around 50dbs but not super quiet) - do you use any plugs while travelling though?

4. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

So do you feel that Amitriptyline is in fact helping in healing your hyperacusis? Or just having a chemical effect that reduces it while medicated and taking the medication is a permanent option for you.

When I began taking clonazepam my hyperacusis immediately got significantly better. So did the intensity of my tinnitus as it does for many on here when they take it. I once asked if anyone coming off clonazepam had lower tinnitus after ceasing the benzo and got no responses. So I figure once I stop my hyperacusis and tinnitus will probably to back to original level if not worse as some like @Star64 experienced. Not that you would experience a worsening from amitriptyline. I’m just curious of what you mean by your statement.

5. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Mathieulh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chronic headphones use and acute noise induced trauma.
      If you aren't working in a noisy environment, I would recommend going to work, it'll keep you busy and focused off your tinnitus. That said, if you need to take a few days off to decrease the stress, that might not be such a bad idea either.

If you are working in a noisy environment and just had your tinnitus onset or suffered a noise trauma, keeping your ears safe from loud environment for the next few months is a must, after 5 to 6 months however you must sensitise yourself back to the noise (while avoiding over exposure) as the acute period will have passed and overprotection leads to increased hyperacusis.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      My hyperacusis gets better whilst I'm taking amitriptyline, but it gets worse again when I stop taking it. According to my wife who is a doctor, that's the expected behaviour of this type of drug. I really don't think I could cope with amitriptyline long-term, so I'm hoping my body will do its natural healing business whilst I'm taking it, so that I shouldn't have to take it for more than another few months.

I might ask my doctor about clonazepam as well.

7. Elmer B Fuddled

Elmer B Fuddled Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      plugged nasal eustachian tube
      I've worked all my years sawing timber without ear protection now an ear infection has caused the T but I wouldn't quit work because of the tinnitus if I did I would drive myself crazy. Accept the tinnitus use ear protection and keep working

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      I do, so far. Honestly, I can't decide if it's necessary or not, or if it's helping. I think the vibrations in the car are as significant as the sounds, and there's no helping that. But for now I'm plugging up in the car... I may at some point try experimenting with/without them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

Do you have hyperacusis?

10. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      Recovery from anything is sped up with activity, exercise, and social interaction (after the initial period of trauma and rest). Once you are able to do things, you should. This is coming from personal experience with tinnitus, 3 brain surgeries, a cerebral venous sinus thrombosis, and a pulmonary embolism, all within a year. A few days ago I rode 20 miles on my bike, and I'm working full time. Once you are able to do things, do them. Life doesn't wait.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Me too. I wish we knew the answer. I don't know and I don't know if anyone here knows.

The only indication that noise makes it worse is someone posting saying that they were exposed to a loud noise and there was a worsened change to their tinnitus.

12. Star64
      Kick ass

Star64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have taken amitriptyline before for nerve pain when I had tinnitus, it did not effect my tinnitus either way but I have a friend with tinnitus and he was given this drug and his ears screeched for weeks after ceasing it... He had been on it for a four month period. Your tinnitus might not worsen if you cease the benzo before you down regulate your GABA receptors and you taper off the drug slowly, however with medications nothing is a given, everybody will have different experiences even from the same medication and dosage.

13. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I focused on verifying if I had tinnitus
      I like those last sentences. "If you are able to do things, do them. Life doesn't wait"

I myself also wondered if I would ever be able to do anything again. Travelling, going out, working, do sports.
      I told myself I would wait till I recover to start living again, and that in the meanwhile I would put my life in pause.

But then I realized my tinnitus was better when I was occupied, going out, interacting, and the most talking to other people and playing video games.
      These last two activities requires a strong focus, and include sounds covering your tinnitus. And that helped so much, my tinnitus would disappear right after these activities.

Also, is life alone at home really a life? Is it really living? I've spent more time at my home than I wanted, and these were the worst time. Not during it necessarily, but after, when I realize I just spoiled that time of my life. The 4 months jobless I spent alone with my tinnitus were the worst, not only for my tinnitus, but for my life also. I can't believe it's already October because time flew so fast.
      Why? Because during these four months I did nothing, made no memories, it's like I have a blackout because I have nothing to remember. So you got it, it's like I wasn't living.

I decided I prefer to live a life with tinnitus, rather than not live in the hopes of making it better (or not worse, which would be totally stupid and useless).

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    14. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Many people don't have any other choice than to stay home, e.g. if they have severe pain-hyperacusis that easily relapses.
      That's understandable but not possible for everyone. There are people who are unable to work, have children or travel because of tinnitus and not because of their attitude towards their condition. My tinnitus has gotten permanently worse at least 5 times within four years, you might call it stupid to live a life where the main focus is on preventing a worsening in tinnitus but for thousands if not millions of people that's what allows them to have at least some life. Many people have tried to go back to their previous lives and use the usual coping strategies only to have their symptoms worsen.

There are many people that don't want to pause their lives because of tinnitus or hyperacusis but there's no other option for them because this is how debilitating these conditions can be when they are truly severe.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      That's good outlook. Again, I can only speak from experience and my own philosophies. In the beginning, it was hard, and traumatic, and I tried to fight what happened. After a while I decided to just live. Looking back, you're going to miss the things you didn't do, not the time you spent at home worrying about things you don't have control over. It was my way of regaining a sense of agency and control over my life. I have plenty of time in the future to be dead or disabled, I didn't see a reason to speed that up.

I too, play video games when I'm in. For me, it's a meditative activity and takes concentration and focus. It's a sort of mindfulness, I suppose, where you are forced to stay present. My mind and thoughts don't wonder, and I don't ruminate or think cyclicly on things.

I also bike, and mountain bike. It's what I enjoy most, it requires focus, concentration, I get exercise, it's great for my mental health, I get outside in nature, it's fun. It really checks all the boxes for me.

When I look back on the memories I've made since all of this happened, the tinnitus was always there, but I wasn't always aware of it, and it isn't part of any of the memories I have. So, in a way, it almost doesn't exist at times.

Also, with what I've been through over the past year, tinnitus now seems really minor to me in the grand scheme of things. I'm not a pessimist or an optimist. I prefer to consider myself a realist and I deal with what IS. Not what should or shouldn't be, or could or couldn't be, etc. We aren't guaranteed anything in life, aside from the fact that we will all die someday.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      Mild/moderate hyperacusis, yes. But not severe.

Unlike tinnitus, hyperacusis is almost always treatable. It is fed by misophonia - an anxiety disorder - rather than anything physical. It thus doesn't have to be a major, long-term problem for most.

If you or anyone else is suffering from hyperacusis, read @Michael Leigh's excellent post on the issue:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

And also perhaps mine, which comes at it from a different direction:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/posts/455299/

A trained therapist CAN help with hyperacusis. So consider seeing one if you are having trouble.

-Matt

• Funny Funny x 1
    17. Autumnly
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Do you have a source for that? Because while the cochlear doesn't contain traditional pain receptors "studies from Northwestern University and Johns Hopkins have shown pain receptor like behavior from the type II nerves that are connected to the Outer Hair Cells (OHCs). OHCs are the most susceptible to sound-induced damage." - source So pain-hyperacusis is very much a physical condition. I'm not disagreeing that many hyperacusis patients get better but there is a group that seems easily prone to setbacks and that doesn't improve as much and the main cause for that doesn't seem to be anxiety.

• Like Like x 2
    18. carolinet617
      Tired

carolinet617 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bupropion (Wellbutrin), TMJ, possible ETD
      My take is going to be a little different because I had to stop working due to severe panic disorder 2 years BEFORE my tinnitus started. I thought that after being at home in a comfortable environment with less responsibility (while also getting treated by therapists and a psychiatrist) I would eventually begin to heal to the point where I would be able to work again. That didn't happen. And then I got tinnitus.

I can't say what would have happened if I had had tinnitus before leaving work, but my guess is that I would have panicked and quit working. For me personally, not working has made my mental state and thus my tinnitus worse. Some of that is beyond my control since I have legitimate mental illnesses which I'm desperately trying to fight, but it has also led to agoraphobia which was not there before. I used to just prefer to stay at home; now I pretty much have to. What I have noticed is on the rare occasions I am able to leave my house, I don't notice the tinnitus as much. Sitting at home all day in a quiet house naturally amplifies it so it's the only thing I hear, then I panic about the tinnitus, then the panic makes the tinnitus louder (I'm sure a lot of you know how that goes!) Even getting out and going for a walk makes me notice it less, but the agoraphobia has stopped me from doing that lately too. Having no schedule allows me to ruminate all day, to listen for the noise all day. It's become my entire life.

There are many factors to consider though; my job was incredibly stressful and detrimental to my mental health, and thus probably would have exacerbated my tinnitus had I had it at that time. Maybe a less stressful job wouldn't have caused me to have a breakdown in the first place. Though for some, I'm sure working at home in a less stressful environment may help the tinnitus providing you have social support elsewhere. If you are unable to work at all, I think it really depends on your support system. I do not have much support from family and have only a few friends who I rarely see. That probably damages my mental health as much as my stressful job did. I've always been a loner and an introvert and I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but there is a level it gets to where it is damaging. You don't have to be the life of the party, but humans are wired for connectedness. As much as I enjoy solitude, there are times where it feels like it's killing me. It is very hard to overcome trauma alone...and tinnitus is certainly a kind of trauma. I think the only way to dig myself out of this hole is to get my depression and anxiety to a manageable level, and then force myself out of my comfort zone...a kind of exposure therapy. Maybe just volunteering at first. Or working part time. But gradually starting to live again. I don't see any other way.

I realize I got off topic here and went more into withdrawing from life in general as opposed to just from working, but I think some of you can probably relate, so this is just my two cents! <3

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    19. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      Thanks for that Autumnly. You may very well be right that there can be physically-induced manifestations of hyperacusis. Truthfully, I don't know anywhere near enough about that side of the disorder to comment one way or the other - but it does make sense that for a minority of people there could in fact be a physical underpinning.

That said, just the fact that hair cells can show "pain receptor like behavior" does not itself serve as much basis for a physical underpinning. There is no denying that those suffering from hyperacusis experience pain from loud noises. And so receptors would *have to* show evidence of pain-like behaviours. The question isn't whether that happens, but rather why that happens: yes, it could be that the cells get permanently damaged; however most work seems to suggests that it is far more often a temporary damage that can be treated through careful gradual re-exposure to sound.

20. Autumnly
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      There's no evidence suggesting pain-hyperacusis only has a "physical underpinning" for a minority of patients.
      Just because a condition can be treated doesn't mean that most cases don't have a "physical underpinning". Also what temporary damage are you talking about? Hair cells can be damaged permanently and the pain receptor like behavior from the type II nerves could still reduce over time. Pain-hyperacusis improving doesn't have to mean that no permanent damage occurred. Anxiety and stress affecting hyperacusis also doesn't have to mean that it's mostly a mental health issue.
      While pain receptor like behavior might not be the main-cause, it could be the result of dysfunction in the central auditory system. The source I mentioned earlier lists several physical causes for hyperacusis (cochlear damage, disorders affecting inner ear fluid dynamics, ttts, etc. ) and that "the most common cause for hyperacusis is noise exposure either from an acoustic incident or a history of high level sound exposure".

21. Christophe_85
      Alone

Christophe_85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Hello !

To me if I stay at home, I will go all day long on my computer, listen to music (softly and not with earplugs), and try to find company and sharing with Internet !

And at the end it will not help my condition with Tinnitus...

But I work in a small office so not so loud, I am lucky for that...

All the Best for you !

• Like Like x 1
    22. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      I went to work, I was going to take time off. But I thought I would plow thru. But I heard phones, copy machines, everything! I work on open floor plan, I thought I'd go crazy. But I kept going and I didn't take on new projects. I took little breaks to make it. I eventually moved my desk to a corner spot. On my desk I have a small radio and 2 small fans. I have head tinnitus. I would not have stayed home. That would be too much time on my hands.

• Like Like x 1
    23. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I have constant high pitched reactive tinnitus. Hear it all time. Nothing masks it.

If you are working.... how do you get through a bad day?

What are your thought processes? How do you deal with or stop the mounting agitation and/or anxiety.

I'm sat here at my desk, trying to focus and all I can think is:

Fucking STOP!
      I can't handle this.

Then taking trips to the stairwell and peering down 5 flights.

How do you deal with tinnitus at work.. particularly if you're office based.

• Hug Hug x 3
    24. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I focused on verifying if I had tinnitus
      You can try medication such as calming plant or benzo, but it's only a short relief.
      You can also try ambiance noise that masks your tinnitus, for me this was the best and only way. I had constant high pitch reactive tinnitus like you, so I bought Bluetooth earphones, and put on repeat a playlist on Spotify of singing birds.

At least at work you can try to focus on something else. I stayed at home 3 days in a row this weekend, and guess what... my tinnitus became loud again. Fucking condition man but we have to keep living.