What's Your Opinion on Assisted Suicide?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Markku, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Well, I'm from England, but UK whatever...Doesn't really matter, over here we've lost our cultural identity by mass immigration. For example, London is only 40% white british...

2. Brianna
      No Mood

Brianna Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No clue - too many causes.
      I know you have a massive onslaught of Muslims as we have a massive onslaught of Hispanic. The problem is it's changing our cultural identities for me after 60 years or 53 of identifying with the way our country was. It's not a matter of racism for me but something else I can't define well. If you come here, be respectful of our country. Where we used to live, people who moved in who were new ignored anyone who wasn't Hispanic (we both spoke sufficient Spanish) but the village had been a place where everyone waved to each other and the new adults refused to talk to anyone. I found it disrespectful. Moving down south, we now live in a mostly white neighborhood and we don't like that (we like diversity) but the location and house made sense.

As our culture changes in both countries, issues like the right to die, will likely fade and that scares me a bit for the kids left after our lives end. That's what changing cultures means to me.

3. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      We have an onslaught of multiple races...Like middle eastern and half of Europe...Major issue I say.

This is North Carolina. So not a big issue...But London is only 40% English, that's awful.
      • English 90.70%
      • Spanish 6.18%

4. True. But really there are ways to go peacefully if need be...it involves a bottle of pills, and a lake.

5. Brianna
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      awbw8 is 100% spot on. I understand and seriously from someone who has seen this...
      Pills and a lake sound good. There's just no assurance it will work. What happens if it doesn't?
      Five years ago (as of 6 days ago), our nice next door neighbor in the north hanged himself
      and ended up in the hospital and was successful - he died. The odds are not in your favor of a
      successful attempt. I'm being frank and honest and not looking at Wikipedia. This
      may bring on fear and I'm just trying to be logical about it. I'm not trying to talk you out
      of a thing.

In my lifetime - I'm over 60, the attempts that worked were dreadful. From Mark who used a shotgun and blew off
      his face to a family member who tried it a few times who I knew wasn't successful to C who
      hanged himself. All other methods and the ones that worked I suggest be carefully viewed
      with a "what if" option. What if it doesn't work, what happens?
      Will you be locked up in a psych ward and are you okay with that? Will you be fined heavily
      because suicide isn't allowed (in the US don't know about Canada) and can you and your family afford it? Will you possibly survive and be disfigured or end up with a dementia? Then can you accept the "what if it doesn't work" and you survive with unpredictable end result scenarios?

I'm for assisted suicide as a sure thing but T isn't recognized (stupidly). Suicide, it's your option - it's your life - but I hope you know what you're walking into and use more sources in addition to Wikipedia.

Last... a nice and desperate fellow on this forum received a rejection letter for physician-assisted suicide in Sweden.
      He had a backup plan. He tried something and was still on this forum after that. I don't know if he's still here.

In peace. May we all find it one way or another.

6. I don't know how a bottle of sleeping pills and a lake wouldn't work...

just sayin.

ok maybe throw in a bottle of whiskey.

what do you mean it isn't allowed in the US?

that is ridiculous..

7. Brianna
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't make the laws. If you're found trying to commit suicide, it's against the law. My guess is the first step is a
      psych ward. I'd have to look more if you'd like me to and I am your humble servant here. Honest. Kervorkian ...
      he ended up in jail for giving people what they needed and recorded them on tape (back them) clearly saying
      they were of sound mind. He was on our side - within limits.

Yes, it's ridiculous. I'm too pooped to go on with that as to why.

What if ... whiskey makes you puke up the pills you just took? I don't know. It's a possibility. Gotta follow
      my own suggestion. I'm glad you added, "just sayin."

Again, I'm not trying to dissuade you. I'm just trying to share the garbage I know. You do what ya want. I worked in the computer field and that may have wrecked my mind :) ? I attempt to work in a logical manner and what if and is there a law if you don't succeed (because we have them in the US) are part of it.

If you prefer I take a lighter approach, I'll stay out of this. That's okay and I mean it.

8. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      So they can arrest you in the US, for killing yourself?

9. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      I wrote to Pres. Obama. Dont know if he really read the letter. But there was a response.
      Firstly the letter, I explained that there are 50 mil with this awful condition. That many of these people could no longer contribute to our society. And that a cure was long overdue. Thousands of veterans also have this intolerable
      crap. What are we as a society doing about it? The answer was that "O" has done more for health care than any prior pres. and that he would continue to do so.
      God I miss my old self. Never bitched much a dam good film maker and musician father of two daughters had dogs and cats. Its the afternoon spikes that get to me. The H really lays me out.
      My hypothesis is that the trazadon/venlafaxine make it worse. I need a better non ototoxic sleep aid. Anyone have any ideas?
      If one ends up with all the health and desire gone can one go to Oregon? Whats the catch?

• Like Like x 1
    10. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I agree with! They won't do anything, which makes me sad.

11. Brianna
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This is what I love seeing - people who write their minds and try getting attention. Obama is bogged down with so many issues. Hopefully, he saw your concern. If it's a money-maker, it will likely happen. Thanks.

12. Brianna
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If something can make money (tons), it will be pursued. If it doesn't, it won't. I'm a living-breathing example of it. Had a hearing loss since birth (likely mild) and investing in a hearing aid business due to few people like me would be a complete waste of money. Enter baby boomers and while research and development were ongoing for years, digital aids are a massive business. THEY (not me, even though I am one) are worth the investment and they push high-cost aids that don't last long compared to the price. I believe, sir, that is the disconnect you're seeing.

13. Brianna
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know they'd arrest you but it is illegal and you can be locked up, minimally in a psych ward. This is one bit of research I need not do. I'll probably find out in a month or so and will let you know. But the fact remains it is illegal.
      Anyone from the U.S. with the fact - locked up in jail ... eh, seems iffy ... - on this one? I have to get going now.

14. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      It's legal in the UK...

1. The Suicide Act 1961 (9 & 10 Eliz 2 c 60) is an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. It decriminalized the act of suicide in England and Wales so that those who failed in the attempt to kill themselves would no longer be prosecuted.

15. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      The hearing aid business will be gone soon, as they'd be able to regenerate hair cells soon. So yeah, screw them haha. I don't need an hearing aid anyway, as my hearing is really good. Still got tinnitus though, so hidden hearing loss it is.

16. Brianna
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That, Sir Knight, is exactly what I was writing about. You have faith in the system and it will work out for you. The regeneration of the cilia is in the inner ear and primarily for high-frequency loss (depending on how much is dead). So, this alone won't fix all problems. We all live in a pseudo-democratic society, I vote that you be one of the later ones (don't need you to be a guinea pig) to try it. I'm always voting for you to try different things :) and you really have that impetus to get out there and do it. Really, your belief is unstoppable. Kudos again to you.

17. Brianna
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, make me ignore walking my dog and not vacuuming in the little time I have. Blahhhh to you :) .
      I have one source from the internet that tends to be untrustworthy - it's from Wikipedia but I'll add one more bit of info more valid because I saw the crap that went on since info tends to be hidden:

United States
      Historically, various states listed the act of suicide as a felony, but these policies were sparsely enforced. In the late 1960s, eighteen U.S. states had no laws against suicide.[29] By the late 1980s, thirty of the fifty states had no laws against suicide or suicide attempts but every state had laws declaring it to be a felony to aid, advise or encourage another person to commit suicide.[30] By the early 1990s only two states still listed suicide as a crime, and these have since removed that classification.[citation needed] In some U.S. states, suicide is still considered an unwritten "common law crime," as stated in Blackstone's Commentaries. (So held the Virginia Supreme Court in 1992. Wackwitz v. Roy, 418 S.E.2d 861 (Va. 1992)). As a common law crime, suicide can bar recovery for the late suicidal person's family in a lawsuit unless the suicidal person can be proven to have been "of unsound mind." That is, the suicide must be proven to have been an involuntary act of the victim in order for the family to be awarded monetary damages by the court. This can occur when the family of the deceased sues the caregiver (perhaps a jail or hospital) for negligence in failing to provide appropriate care.[31] Some American legal scholars look at the issue as one of personal liberty. According to Nadine Strossen, former President of the ACLU, "The idea of government making determinations about how you end your life, forcing you...could be considered cruel and unusual punishment in certain circumstances, and Justice Stevens in a very interesting opinion in a right-to-die [case] raised the analogy."[32] Physician-assisted suicide is legal in some states.[33] For the terminally ill, it is legal in the state of Oregon under the Oregon Death with Dignity Act. In Washington state, it became legal in 2009, when a law modeled after the Oregon act, the Washington Death with Dignity Act was passed. A patient must be diagnosed as having less than six months to live, be of sound mind, make a request orally and in writing, have it approved by two different doctors, then wait 15 days and make the request again. A doctor may prescribe a lethal dose of a medication but may not administer it.[34]

In California, medical facilities are empowered or required to commit anyone whom they believe to be suicidal for evaluation and treatment.[35]

The info is old from Wiki and I don't know if it has changed. Here's relatively cryptic (as in incomplete info from the current NYS website):
      The New York State Office of Mental Health does not provide direct crisis services. ...

The Suicide Prevention Initiative, sponsored by the NYS Office of Mental Health is multidimensional and seeks to include stakeholders at all levels of government and every community in the state. The Suicide prevention Center of New York, which works in collaboration with and is fully funded by the NYS Office of Mental Health advances and supports local actions via education, training, consultation and coalition building to reduce suicide attempts and suicides in NYS and to promote recovery of persons affected by suicide.

**** What it obviously doesn't say are what are the repercussions of a failed attempt. I'm sure there's logic in it but I don't know offhand what it is.
      I posted somewhere on here that our prior neighbor who lived next door to us in NY successfully committed suicide four months after we moved. So legal or not, he succeeded and things get a little irrelevant. Now to my next example -

I know someone who said he didn't try it. But he ended up hospitalized. My other mantra - stuff is hidden on the web (it is, no question): Legally, the hospital had to send blood tests to a state processing center to verify if this was a suicide attempt. The lab tested for a slew of garbage I didn't know most of them. NOTHING was found. But some gods that be wanted him in a psych unit. He fought (which in an of itself caused massive fighting back by the @#@ who went after him) and only due to the tenacity of an advocate w/some connections in the hospital got those higher-ups to review the guy and concluded he was fine and should be released. He was released and it was a frickin' fight. Besides likely a bit of PTSD from this incident, is fine today to the best of my knowledge.

god, I've always believed European countries were more advanced than we are in the states. They are, you are.

18. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Yeah, Europe is I guess. Thanks for the information. Still you'd most likely get sectioned over here if you do a a failed suicide.

19. Brianna
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Same tiny piece of info isn't mentioned in your laws. I still wonder why. If you attempt suicide and you fail, there are repercussions. No one says that anywhere. I don't know if it would dissuade someone thinking about it... it might because not all suicide thoughts are impending signs it will occur. No comprendo.

20. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Isn't my law, it's English laws and they are very odd indeed.

21. Brianna
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I know it's not your law (rats still wait their release) and it seems like our laws. That's baaaadddd. Logging off before the rats go batty.

22. StubbyJ

StubbyJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      I don't know about assisted, but days exist that if I didn't have a family a self inflicted bullet to the head seems peaceful. I would however wear earplugs so I wouldn't get tinnitus.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    23. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I'm glad we have strict gun laws in the UK. I would have topped myself a while ago. Feel better now though.

24. Rasmus
      Cool

Rasmus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      around 02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure maybe to much noise
      I cant see a single reason why people cant choose if they want to die. Im not gonna say more then this because something like this game make me very mad. There should not be anyone other then yourself to choose you own decision in life.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      I went to the hospital with a 26 page document seeking euthanasia. The psychiatrist came in and called me pathetic, and ejected me out of the hospital. Results may vary.

• Hug Hug x 1
    26. Fungus
      Dreaming

Fungus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus?
      Me neither, Rasmus. However, decisions about ending one's own life must start and end with that person (assuming that they are physically capable of doing so ).Folk who are of essentially of sound mind who decide they want to end their own lives need to be mentally capable of making that decision at that time (i.e not suffering with a potentially reversible depression which may be clouding their judgement) and not expect third parties to carry out the action of ending their lives.This is, of course, my opinion, BUT our laws in the UK would put any third party at risk of prosecution for manslaughter or even murder.

If a person of sound mind who is not shown to be suffering from a potentially reversible mental illness and has had suitable counselling by appropriate professionals (imo) should have the means made available to end their own lives.

It is the involvement of third parties that troubles me.