What's Your Opinion on Assisted Suicide?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Markku, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I just watched this documentary by Terry Pratchett:

Terry Pratchett: Choosing To Die (2011) - Full...

It was very touching and brilliantly made. You couldn't spend an hour better.

I've always been in favor of legalizing assisted suicide. It's ridiculous people have to travel to Switzerland to get the final way out. In Belgium it's legal too, but only for locals I think.

If I was hit with ALS, Alzheimer's or any such neurodegenerative disease, I'd opt for going out before I stopped functioning altogether.

It's interesting that the majority seems to think different. There's ongoing efforts in Finland too to legalize this, but looks like it's not going to happen.

Even if the person is completely "out" and can't think, talk, move, it's still the mentality to keep that person alive for as long as possible. I wouldn't like to be kept alive at all costs when there's just no hope of getting better.

This might be a sensitive subject, but I'd like to know what you think.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      By the way,

my both grandparents (who both are 85+) have Alzheimer's.

Grandmother has it worse currently, but not at the point I would personally take the final drink.

They are very, very religious and probably never would opt for assisted suicide, but sometimes I think how beautiful in a way it would be if both of them left this world at the same time. Holding hands.

But it's everyone's own decision what they want to do, many probably don't even think of the possibility of assisted going.

Of course it's possible I'm going to change my own mind once the decision needs to be made (if it needs to, I could just as likely die in an accident or sudden death), but I think the option needs to be available. People have the right.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    3. joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      There was some talk, about legalising it here in the U.K, it has been proposed, Although a sufferer would have to get 2 independent doctors report confirming that the condition was terminal. Its all talk at the moment, and it all started up when a british woman went to Switzerland to end her life. My personal opinion it should be allowed.

4. Jim
      Happy

Jim Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      My wife's uncle just canceled his own ticket last year. He was a resident of Oregon, U.S. where assisted suicide is legal. He was diagnosed with emphysema several years ago and then lung cancer a couple years ago. He fought it hard for quite a long while. About mid year he told everyone he was applying for assisted suicide. In Oregon you must be under a doctors care and have a terminal illness. The meds are prescribed after some counseling and about a two week waiting period. Then we all got a call from him, I think it was on a Wednesday. He wanted to say his goodbyes and said he would be checking out that next Monday. Said he was on lots of pain meds and didn't want to prolong the inevitable and deteriorate any further. He self administered the drugs on Monday morning. I think it was a very courageous thing to do and I support his decision 100 percent.

• Like Like x 4
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/26/1992...habituated after 2 years; 11/04/11 new outbreak
      we dont get much say about our arrival

so it only seems fair that with just cause and after receiving counseling and medical treatment...

that when pain is gnawing away at us, and our best efforts to restore a reasonable degree of quality of life fail

that then we have the right, the ability, to call an end to our times in a dignified way that minimizes tragedy for others

i live in washinton state , a death with dignity state and i support that law

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
    6. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      I just watched this, I found it scary and sad yet peaceful, I just hope T will never make me want such a decision.
      The fact is since I got T I feel my mortality so much more.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I havent watched the vid, although I will.

I agree with assisted suicide.

People get into such bl00dy pitiful states of suffering that in our society animals are not allowed to suffer. Why is it the decent, moral thing to do to end an animal's suffering but not a human beings?

I know there would have to be strict rules, like you wouldn't want anyone to make that decision on an illness or state of mind that could be temporary, but for the sake of humanity let terminally ill people go gracefully.

I saw my mother die of cancer and in those final days it wasnt pretty. Why did they keep on when the humane thing to do was a large injection of Morphine?

I suppose the big question is, do you let people do this based on mental suffering alone?

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      I know that a lot of old people "check out" deliberately without it being on the record. They save up medication and takes a last drink of some heavy liquor. When it says "Mr/Ms...died this morning due to heart failure" on the record they rarely do an autopsy. I think it's harder for young people to go trough with either assisted or unassisted suicide cause it's a reflex of survival will present. I support assisted suicide.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. daedalus

daedalus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      In Belgium not only is assisted suicide permitted but so is euthanasia. But it has to be demanded by the patient and it is strictly supervised. a medical commission has to attest your are in a hopeless situation. You must be of age. There are talks about extending the procedure to minors.

Euthanasia by cessation of care was commonly practiced anyway. There was a difference of treatment according to your hospital, the catholic ones doing what they called sedations. Basically you were drugged up until unconsciousness. It is noteworthy that when my great uncle got his stroke, the doctors of the catholic hospital told us they could try to revive him but he would be at best a semi retard due to his brain damage. We told them he wouldn't have wanted to live that way and so they let him die. He was unconscious.

Yes, i think conscious adults should be able to be helped if they decide to end a too painful life.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Emily
      Badass

Emily Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I agree with and support assisted suicide. Being in healthcare and having close contact with people who seem to have no quality of life anymore and are suffering everyday...I don't see how I could possibly have a different opinion. However, it is obviously a very final decision, no going back, and needs to be weighed out heavily.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Emily
      Badass

Emily Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Now that I have watched the video I just wanted to say wow. It was beautiful, touching, deeply moving and very sad. I cried.
      Thanks for posting.

12. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I also support assisted suicide and am glad that there finally are several states in the United States that allow it. But I also think it is an option that should be highly regulated and scrutinized. Like Emily said, there is no going back.

There have been concerns by those in the disability community that disabled people could be "encouraged" to consider assisted death because their families or society don't want the burden of caring for them. There also have been concerns that people who don't have the mental capability to make a such a decision, or who are in a state of despair that eventually would pass (such I was when I first started with tinnitus) would inappropriately opt for ending their life. That's why in the U.S., this option is available only when people of clear mind have made the choice, it requires doctors' permission, there is a long waiting period and residency requirement, etc.

One thing I saw that was very interesting: a study some time ago found the vast majority of patients who had applied for assisted suicide in Oregon and were approved never exercised the option. The conclusion was people just wanted to have the ability to make their own choice should things ever become too much to bear. I would say that for myself; I just want the choice. I also will tell you that in my first couple months of tinnitus, I considered moving to Oregon. Then I realized no doctor was going to sign off on assisted death for tinnitus. Fortunately, time passed and I now can't imagine taking such action.

Thanks for sharing your family's story, @Jim. It is comforting to know this practice has brought to those who are suffering terribly.

13. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      As this subject has been in the air here I just wanted to share my opinion. I think all the important pro points have been said above, so I am not going to repeat them. However I wanted to say that in my opinion euthanasia and assisted suicide requires a very strong tradition of democracy. People have to have some control over the medical system. In a system that is corrupt I see it causing a lot of damage. This subject was quite recently discussed in Estonia, and in my country I am very strongly opposed to it. The medical committee here that is supposed look through patients claims about wrong treatments never does anything for patients (unless they are politicians or rich). It is not uncommon here to leave people with treatable but fastly progressive diseases waiting around. I wouldn't be surprised if doctors started recommending euthanasia for patients because they have too little money or too little ethics.
      Therefore in taking this decision everyone should evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the medical and political system and tradition of democracy before legalizing euthanasia/assisted suicide.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. Catarina
      Old hag

Catarina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2006
      This may sound cynical but the fact is that we live too long these days. We have access to good health care and many diseases that used to be deadly are now cured. All good things of course, but it also means that we may be alive longer than our bodies are really capable to. In hospitals people are being kept alive via artificial means and feeding tubes. I also think we have forgotten that death is as natural a part of life as birth. We are afraid of death and believe that anything is better than that. But there comes a time when being allowed to die is more natural than staying alive. So I would say I'm for it, absolutely for terminal patients where there is no hope of recovery. But it is a difficult issue and there are many factors to take into account.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. pef

pef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/16/2013
      I am against assisted suicide.

If a person desires to take their own life, so be it. Can't stop the person.

But I do not think the State itself should assist, nor should allow third parties to assist. It is, to me, a devaluation of life by the State. And I am not comfortable with the State wielding such authority.

• Agree Agree x 2
    16. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Yes its a very-very complicated subject. No right answers anyway...

17. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      Wow! Watching this and reading other's posts has given me real pause and has caused me to think about the subject in its entirety from different points of view. I have so many thoughts(so many thoughts) I find it impossible to write them all down right now. I wish I could share them all but it would be better to simply reflect for a while.

I'm not conflicted (about it), but like @Stina says, it's complicated.

18. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I am absolutely for it. I have watched and been moved by this video a couple years ago. Thanks for sharing.

19. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      It can't be controlled. If you read the history of it throughout the world, you'll find that standards become more lax over time and abuses are not uncommon.

Here's an abstract from a 2011 journal article that appeared in an peer-reviewed oncology publication. I hope people will click on the link and read the entire article. It is enlightening.

Legalizing euthanasia or assisted suicide: the illusion of safeguards and controls
      J. Pereira, MBChB MSc

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3070710/

Abstract

Euthanasia or assisted suicide—and sometimes both—have been legalized in a small number of countries and states. In all jurisdictions, laws and safeguards were put in place to prevent abuse and misuse of these practices. Prevention measures have included, among others, explicit consent by the person requesting euthanasia, mandatory reporting of all cases, administration only by physicians (with the exception of Switzerland), and consultation by a second physician.

The present paper provides evidence that these laws and safeguards are regularly ignored and transgressed in all the jurisdictions and that transgressions are not prosecuted. For example, about 900 people annually are administered lethal substances without having given explicit consent, and in one jurisdiction, almost 50% of cases of euthanasia are not reported. Increased tolerance of transgressions in societies with such laws represents a social “slippery slope,” as do changes to the laws and criteria that followed legalization. Although the initial intent was to limit euthanasia and assisted suicide to a last-resort option for a very small number of terminally ill people, some jurisdictions now extend the practice to newborns, children, and people with dementia. A terminal illness is no longer a prerequisite. In the Netherlands, euthanasia for anyone over the age of 70 who is “tired of living” is now being considered. Legalizing euthanasia and assisted suicide therefore places many people at risk, affects the values of society over time, and does not provide controls and safeguards.

• Like Like x 1
    20. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      100% in favor of assisted suicide.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    21. Floyd Mayweather
      Bored

Floyd Mayweather Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure or an ear infection, or maybe a combination :(
      I think it should be allowed. It's not doing harm to anyone else. My life, my choice.

• Like Like x 1
    22. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      It is not clear whether Dignitas would agree to assisted suicide in the case of tinnitus, and related mental states. On the website's faq page, it mentions that Swiss law still would not accept such cases. But in its pdf brochure, there is indication that such cases would be considered. Can anyone shed any light on this?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    23. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      How do they know if they are unreported?

• Funny Funny x 1
    24. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      Should assisted suicide or euthanasia be allowed for those who feel that they cannot live with the incurable ailment of Tinnitus be allowed?
      What do you think?
      Would like to hear other peoples opinions on this please.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    25. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      Here is a link to a Terry Pratchett video on his decision to take assisted suicide.
      Just cos the above link for the video doesnt work due to rights restrictions it says.
      So thought I would post another link of the video that currently works.

Hope this is not against any rules....

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/terry-pratchett-choosing-to-die/

Damn, just found out that this vid is interspersed with ads every so often....

26. UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      I support it now. There was a time when I thought suicide was wrong no matter what, since all that stuff seems to be carried in the same container, from abortion, to euthenasia, to the right to die, to taking a loved one off life support. Death is entirely a matter of God's will, not mine, I once thought.

Then, I began to face my own slow death with its physical challenges and began to think if I ever get to that place where life is anything but living, I would probably drive to Oregon where I'd set up residency and make final plans. That would be a result of my own prayerful decision.

Incidentally, a few well knowns in the Bible committed suicide:
      • Abimelech (Judges 9:54) – to avoid the shame of death at the hands of a woman
      • Samson (Judges 16:28-31) – to defeat those who imprisoned him
      • Saul (1Samuel 31:1-4) – to avoid the dishonor of being captured after he was wounded
      • Saul’s armor-bearer (1Samuel 31:5) – to atone for killing a king
      • Ahitophel (2Samuel 17:23) – in despair over deception being perpetrated around him
      • Zimri (1Kings 16:18) – to avoid capture by the army
      • Judas Iscariot -- after betraying Jesus

• Informative Informative x 2
    27. conbsgc

conbsgc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      october
      its their own decision, in some cases I think it's the most ethnical thing to do, there was a woman in France who suffered from a tumor on her face that disfigured her face, left her blind, deaf and in horrendous constant pain.

Tinnitus is nothing, its just a psychosomatic ringing in the ears that can be managed with training the brain and learning to toughen up a bit!

• Funny Funny x 1
    28. meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      I have to ask you, but what does the Bible have anything to do about assisted suicide? We are talking about real people here with very real pain. Using the Bible to get guidance for assisted suicide is like using Harry Potter books for building airplanes.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Funny Funny x 2
    29. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      And this is why more and more people are not taking this book seriously anymore!

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      Folks who believe in the Lord God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, who have established a relationship with Him through the work of salvation, know Him. Through their prayers and the reading of the Bible a solid understanding of the differences between the old and new covenants unfolds. They begin to realize that Old Testament events are not always the best source of guidance.

It was not until the coming of Jesus that grace was manifest. Great changes took place upon His arrival. The Gentiles (those not of the Jewish faith) were accepted by God and offered the new birth, and the Spirit of God was given to indwell all believing men and women -- not just a few prophets as in the old covenant.

The reason why people "are not taking this book seriously anymore" is because they have not the Spirit of God who has been given to lead believers into the truth. The "book," without God's Spirit and guidance does. as you imply, become nothing more than a piece of ancient literature, but once the words within it become life to the reborn, that academic wall dissolves and a relationship with the Creator can be formed.

If the soil of a man's heart is rocky and/or dry, the seed of the word of God that falls into it does not have a chance to survive and flourish. What needs to take place to change that soil is serious repentance, after which, according to 1 Cor. 7, certain inworkings of repentance takes place. A new creature is brought to life. Without this experience, yes, the Bible is certainly just a book. Only through repentance will you be given the eyes to see and ears to hear the gospel's meaning. The life the Lord offers to all men freely only comes after one asks Christ to forgive him/her of their sins with sincerity and contriteness.

Those preconceived ideas and misleadings coming like a storm from atheists all around will not prepare one's heart to receive salvation, but will provide excuses and accusations. Don't let this happen to you, Rich.
      In Christ's love,
      David