Why Do We Hate Our Tinnitus So Much?

Discussion in 'Support' started by nobody, Sep 19, 2014.

1. nobody
      Cold turkey

nobody Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/10/2011
      What is it that makes us hate our T so much? assuming that we do.

And can we ever train our mind to love it?

Thoughts.....

• Like Like x 1
    2. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Lack of control and it's usually an annoying sound. Tinnitus typically manifests itself as a sound that we'd normally avoid if we could.

But unlike sounds that normally annoy us, we cannot escape tinnitus. We can't walk away from it, turn it off or cover our ears to drown it out.

I've never heard even the most habituated person ever claim to love tinnitus; is it possible to love it? I suppose that possibility exists... In the same way people begin to like pain or even depression.

But if we knew we could control our tinnitus, then there probably wouldn't be much suffering.

Right now I'm trying to habituate. But I'm keeping a close eye on the reports regarding retigabine and other potential treatments.

• Like Like x 5
    3. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      We can never train our mind to love it.

But we can definitely train our mind not to care one way or the other.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nobody
      Cold turkey

nobody Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/10/2011
      However, the sound of white noise or the noise of the ocean is beautiful. Some T noise is similar to this so if we train our mind to hear our T as the sound of soothing white noise or the ocean we might be onto something.

Since T is not usually painful, we could learn to love it, not in the sense we love pleasure, I mean be friends with it.
      We find it impossible to love pain, but T is not pain, it's just a noise, we could re-program our brain to interpret it differently rather than fear it.

I sometimes think I have habituated my T then as soon as I get a spike, it's back to square one again with the distress.
      I would never take drugs to treat it, after a bad experience with some side affects from certain drugs I've had to take in my life time. I refuse to take drugs for anything now, unless I was in absolute agony and had to take antibiotics.
      Drugs never deal with the root cause, so might as well deal with it head on than mask it, the side affects from drugs are not worth the bother in my experience.

I used to take Gabapentin, but not for the T, for some other Neurological condition I have. Gabapentin is evil.
      I have nerve damage in my left hand side of the body due to an accident at work 4 years ago, it feels like I am trapped inside a broken body what with the nerve damage and the T

5. inadmin

inadmin Member

Very good question.

1. It is something that "haunts" you ALL the time, without any switch that can turn it off. You cannot take a break from it.

2. It's out of your control.

3. It's choric (not on all cases), so that sound accompnies us for life.

4. Yes it's just a sound. Try playing a high pitched sound to someone for 30 seconds, see what the response will be.

5. It is dominant- on quiet places which a majority of people spend a decent amount of the day it's just there and for me it's impossible to ignore at least without masking.

It's just a sound - but it's a torture.

• Agree Agree x 3
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nobody
      Cold turkey

nobody Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/10/2011
      Thanks for your advice Dr. I like that we can try not to care.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nobody
      Cold turkey

nobody Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/10/2011
      Good reply.

8. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      One of the regulars here, Hudson, once told me that he habituated to the point where he thought of T as his friend that wouldn't leave him. So yes, it is possible. And some people do love pain. Think of people who cut themselves because it gives them a rush.

What you said about drugs is why I am very cautious. Mpt might be getting good effects now, but what if he damages his vision from this? That wouldn't be worth it at all.

I'd rather habituate and wait until more info is available. Like Dr. Nagler says, we can get to a point where we won't care as much. I know all things being equal, we'd all like to be cured. But not at the risk of damaging our bodies in a way worse than T.

9. Blair14
      Tired

Blair14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      No volume control to an annoying sound combined with a fear that it may get worse and be unable to cope.

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Any type of sound exhausts us mentally which leads to physical exhaustion as well. Add in the fact that, for some of us, it is multi tone, high pitched and painful. Then add the fact that it will never end, this can be a pretty intimidating. If it is a decent tone and steady, different ball game all together (maybe it's just a background sound at that point). And maybe it can even be your friend, like say that of the sound of the ocean or a waterfall.

I think it all depends on the quality of sound/noise itself, even more so than the actual volume.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    11. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Actually when I spoke with a trt clinician, she told me she trained one of her patients to imagine his tinnitus was a heating radiator in his house, and soon after it actually helped him get to sleep, so he loves it.

12. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      The day somebody finds the way to love it please let me know!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    13. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Not sure how we can go as far as to train our brains to not care about it, but to like it...this is NOT possible. I don't understand these rules. You would think if you could do one you could do the other.

14. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      ...which happened to be a dog.

• Funny Funny x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Think about the times you have not noticed T, even if it's just been for a minute. You probably were focused on a TV program, talking with someone, doing yard work etc. Your mind was focused on something else. When you experience this, and understand your brain does not care about T during these times, then you will get the whole idea of not caring about it. You will eventually will have longer and longer periods of time that you don't notice it...

I don't know about loving it, I say forget about it....

• Like Like x 3
    16. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      First impressions are hard to break and Im sure it was not love at first sound.

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. Blair14
      Tired

Blair14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      @gary
      I have recently recognized those rare occasions, the problem is sustaining it. There appears to be no way of sustaining it unless you live in a mall or mask it to death. I wish I could see some progress.

18. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I respectfully disagree.

Tons of folks have found a way to sustain it. But with few exceptions (like moi!) you just won't find them here. Why? Because this is basically a support board. And folks who have found a way to sustain it are not looking for support. They are OVER it!!!!!

Dr. Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 1
    19. Blair14
      Tired

Blair14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      @Dr Nagler,

I agree with you as I know many who just turn a fan on at night and that's it and manage well. How I would love to get there, I am only stating the only way I can sustain it, if that is even correct, is by going to the mall or masking it. I just can't seem to make any progress.

20. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Remember Blair, if you have had those rare occasions then you are making progress. I know it sounds to simple to work, but you just have to let it go, that's what happens during those rare occasions, you know it is possible. You have done it.
      As you let go, each time it will be for longer and longer periods....

• Informative Informative x 1
    21. Blair14
      Tired

Blair14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      @gary

Well my brain must be fighting me on this, I guess it will just take a long time....

22. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Yes Blair, it probably is, just don't give in. Remember, those fleeting moments will get longer...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    23. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      FWIW, @Blair14, I do not turn a fan on at night. I used to years ago, but I don't any more. I sleep in total silence. I read in total silence. The only sound is my tinnitus - and 95+% of the time I don't hear it unless I seek it, which I don't ... 'cause why would I??!!

I wish I could convey to you fine folks all that is possible - not just in theory, but in actuality.

I realize that I have my detractors on this board. I guess they think I'm nuts or I'm lying. I now have three of them on "Ignore" - not because I don't respect their right to an opinion; it's just that I'm tired of reading their snide remarks and hitting my head against a wall - so why bother!!??

Dr. Stephen Nagler

24. Blair14
      Tired

Blair14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      @Dr Nagler

I think you misunderstand me, I understand there are many who habituate, the struggle I have had is with heath professionals locally. I hear what you are saying and I want to believe ( and if I had progress it sure would be easier)and I would love to get to where you are and others who manage. I for once in my life have to be taken by the hand and be shown. I don't think your lying. Believe me I'm trying my best. Sorry if you took offence.

• Like Like x 1
    25. 111

111 Member

This needs to be put into perspective, this effect occured in some people taking the highest dose possible for 4 - 5 years, not months, and remember it was not everyone.
      He is also tapering down as well at present. How many people on here would say they will not take any form ( not just this one ) of medication for a few months, due to some risk that occured over many years.

There are many more hard addictive medications that are handed out to people on a daily bases, which can cause total addiction in a matter of months and have terrible withdrawl symptions as well

26. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Delusional would be a better word...

27. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      I hated the idea of T; the fact that I couldn't control it, I didn't ask for it, and it was robbing my sleep and causing anxiety.

In a strange way, what I can say the I like about T is the fact that it no longer rules me -- but that took a long time and, like @Telis states, if my T changes into varying pitches and tones (and increases) then that would be a whole other ball game.

28. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I hear you, Mark. It's exactly how I used to feel!

Dr. Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 2
    29. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Understood. But still, I prefer to wait it out to see what the findings are. I'm going to be asking my doctor about it on Monday when I see her.

30. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      It is amazing to me that with as loud as your tinnitus is, most of the time you don't even hear it unless you are thinking about it. That's amazing. That's nearly a cure in itself.

• Like Like x 1