Why Does Getting Cold & Flu "Cure" My Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Fleegle, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Fleegle
      Doubtful

Fleegle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So sometimes (not often) I get a cold or flu.

And my tinnitus gets really bad - really bad. But usually with really bad tinnitus and a cold and flu I am a few days later rewarded with a reprieve from the tinnitus. Only sometimes do I take medication for it, and then only some pseudoephedrine and paracetamol.

So what is happening here?
      I might have a different tinnitus to a lot of people, but if you are like me then can you explain it?

But in the end the tinnitus returns :(

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Keep investigating. Maybe this means you have the ability to heal.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      Maybe it's an issue with your Eustachian tubes as when you're sick you're all blocked up - same with the tubes.

4. leledany

leledany Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-11-02
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      It could be the pseudoephedrine, in other cases it improves tinnitus. Search pseudoephedrine in the forum.

5. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I focused on verifying if I had tinnitus
      I very agree with his theory.

I am STRONGLY recomming you to go see your ENT and ask precisely to check your Eustachian tubes, because hen you are sick, they actually close. And you can't hear tinnitus. which can mean they are too open normally, and this have a cure, which would mean, you could be cured for your tinnitus.
      how awesome does that sound ?

6. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I recently had a cold and when I was getting over it my tinnitus was 100% gone. I didn't take anything either.

7. Ryzen

Ryzen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bose Sleepbuds
      ...why do medical professionals not bother to investigate potential leads like this?

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have a cold right now and my tinnitus is totally gone. I even had mucus in my middle ear and it's not any worse.

There could be a treatment in this if anyone could answer why but this kind of thing is totally off the radar of tinnitus researchers.

9. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don't understand either. When I have a headache, my tinnitus is lessened or absolutely gone. Unfortunately (I never ever thought that I would complain about not having headaches...) now my head rarely hurts, but tinnitus is thriving. Why aren't there researches using these kinds of experience?

10. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I had a cold about 1-1½ year ago, that made my tinnitus reduce to next to nothing. I woke in the middle of night during the bout and had 99% silence. How I savoured it. As the cold got better my tinnitus went back up to baseline.

I have had 2 bouts of cold since getting tinnitus and the second time it didnt have this effect on the tinnitus, sadly. If it did, I would wish for a cold more often, LOL.

• Like Like x 2
    11. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, what in the world?!?!?!?! :mad:

I still am still stuffy and I just plugged my ears and I have zero tinnitus. My tinnitus is gone. No ringing. No hyperacusis. Just a cold.

• Like Like x 3
    12. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Alrighty. I am almost recovered from my cold and my tinnitus is still GONE. As in G-O-N-E.

I am cautiously optimistic that it will stay gone but I'm not getting my hopes up.

:wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky:

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    13. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Everybody now proceeds to go outdoors to try and get a cold.

• Funny Funny x 4
    14. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I thought I was getting better but I'm getting sicker.

15. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That's so weird, I had a constant headache for years (not an exaggeration) and it went away once I got tinnitus. I preferred the headache. But it was weird.

16. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How does that make any sense at all?

17. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yep, tinnitus is coming back. :(

• Hug Hug x 2
    18. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      I recently had a pretty unpleasant upper respiratory cold/flu thing, during which my T was pretty minimal. Not sure if it was coincidence or not. It went into my lungs, sinuses, ETs and pretty sure middle ear as they felt quite clogged at times. Blowing my nose gently would open both ETs, which is strange as one is usually stubborn. Maybe the cold caused some sort of swelling that is allowing the ETs to function more normally? Using nasonex makes my T worse too, which it really shouldn't, but maybe by reducing inflammation and swelling it somehow causes the tubes to not work properly. Seems counterintuitive though.

I had read about losing weight/fatty deposits in the face can cause ETD. I lost massive amounts to the point of looking gaunt during my PTSD bad times.

Like almost everything with this crap, it's so difficult to know what's happening and there's no one who can really help.

The previous cold before that made my T worse temporarily though...

19. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tinnitus has nothing to do with Eustachian tubes, unless them being clogged is causing fluid to build up in the middle ear and block out sound. I'd say not a single person here has tinnitus that relates to ETD.

20. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      I don't believe I said my tinnitus is caused by eustachian tube dysfunction, but I'm not sure where you are getting the idea that they can't be a factor. There are so many interconnected muscles, nerves and so on. Inflammation, swelling, dysfunctioning can have real knock on effects.
      Also tinnitus and hearing loss can actually be caused by a whole lot of things. Not just noise. Didn't you know that?

I don't have the answers, just describing what I experience. Ever since I had my worsening a few years ago, where I developed unhinged tinnitus, TTTS (fluttering and cramping kinds), hyperacusis, trigeminal nerve issues, PTSD, nervous system weirdness, my ETs have not been normal. ET functioning is via four muscles, including the tensor tympani, which in turn is involved with middle ear functioning. You can't look at things in isolation, it's a bit more complex than that.

You seem to be all-knowing. So what's your expert opinion on why colds sometimes cause tinnitus to lessen?

21. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had very frequent headaches from the age of 12, but not constant and migraines with aura like every month later on. It was bad. When I first got the aura, I literally thought that I'm dying or going instantly blind. But after a while, I could cope and sleep was an ally not a foe. So I would take my previous headaches over tinnitus in a heartbeat. (I haven't tried the constant headache, so maybe not that one.)
      Maybe that's just my case, because people have headaches and tinnitus at the same time too, but I think there has to be a connection between the two. Or maybe just my brain is so shocked and occupied about ruining me with tinnitus, that it doesn't have time for headaches. My ekzema also stopped when I got tinnitus. Perhaps coincidence, but everything is so strange about Tinnitus.

22. Yas

Yas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/11/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      Hello all,

I didn’t want to put this in success stories because I know it’s temporary.

My tinnitus has been nice and quiet yesterday and today, in fact, I barely heard it this morning. I almost forgot it excited. I currently have the flu and I’m wondering if it’s because I’m SO sick that my brain is focusing on the flu and not the tinnitus?

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

23. Yas

Yas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/11/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      I posted this as a separate threat and it seems to have been moved to this one. I just read everyone’s comments.
      How strange. I’ll talk to my ent about this tomorrow!

24. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I focused on verifying if I had tinnitus
      It makes sense because some people tinnitus are in fact "mechanical" meaning not from their brain but from the fact their eustachian tube are too open and this create tinnitus like sounds.

There are stories of people actually adressing this problem and seeing their "tinnitus" go away.