Why Does My Tinnitus Never Stabilize? Constanty Changing — Having Trouble Habituating

Discussion in 'Support' started by Blodorn, Jul 18, 2019.

1. mikki_

mikki_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? / High frequency hearing loss? / Who knows?
      Fluctuation is the name of the game. For me it has been like that still. This week Mon-Wed good / decent. Thursday is about as loud as ever. I also have no idea what causes variations. I have tried all sorts of things. Results appear to be that nothing impacts for better or worse.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Do you think this would be the case for those who have been previously habituated, but relapsed?

I need some hope here.

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Have you experienced a relapse as a result of your tinnitus getting louder or changing pitch? If so, it makes sense that if you had done it before you ought to be able to do it again, and faster this time.

4. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      It hasn't changed pitch.

Just seems more intrusive and I'm seriously losing my %$#@.

• Hug Hug x 5
    5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Did it happen as a result of something you can identify and know that you will be able to attempt to avoid going forward?

6. Zaimon

Zaimon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden Hearing Loss
      Hi there, I am 7 months in and it didn't stabilize yet. I have silent days (small cricket chirping in my ear), mediocre days (a distant whistle sound) and hell days (some mfker blowing a constant 14 000 Hz whistle directly inside my brain). There is no pattern to it, nor can I influence it in any way. I also struggle to habituate because of the constant change. I am still hoping that the hell days will get less and less and the silent days get more, but it's just... random.

I wish you all the best as your tinnitus is fairly new and a LOT can happen still. Your post is from July, so how is it now in November?

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Genius Genius x 1
    7. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      I've read many accounts of people with variable days having their "mix" shift to more good days and less bad days over time. I hope the same happens for you ASAP.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      @Zaimon Do you know what caused it?

9. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      It hasn't changed pitch.

It's more intrusive and fluctuates more :(

• Hug Hug x 2
    10. tbuzz89

tbuzz89 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Intrusive 03/2020; Very mild 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools as a trigger, AirPods for the long term damage.
      Each time I have a "good" day I keep hoping that the trend will shift to having more good days in a row. Eight months in and so far I haven't had any more than two good days in a row, and it usually isn't even that long. Maybe after two years it'll get better.

There's no rhyme or reason to this hell.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      It’s a very tough condition, worse than pain imo. I can never get more than 1-2 days relief in a row. Mine seems to reset with sleep when I have a good day. Last ENT said it goes to your brain. All they offer is hearing aids. I have a lot of neck/spine/TMJ issues, but unsure if it’s related as I also have HF hearing loss.

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. Nick M

Nick M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      I'm not buying the "It will stabilize over time". Going on 3+ years and it's more variable than it was at the beginning. It's a constant high pitch squeeeeeeeeeeeeeele that pierces the soul. Then one day it's damn near silent. No rhyme or reason.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    13. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I took a bunch of B vitamins last night, stress formula plus Lipoflavanoids. I seem well rested and my noise is only in my left ear. It’s a hiss/ring that’s annoying but it’s better than my whole head filled with noise like last night.

If I could only get a left TMJ steroid injection right away I could figure out if noise in left ear is from inflammation.

14. Zaimon

Zaimon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden Hearing Loss
      No... In April I had vestibular neuropathia with extreme vertigo. It vanished after 2 weeks but suddenly there was the tinnitus like out of nothing.

15. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Some tinnitus patients have noted that vitamin B-1 supplements relieved their tinnitus. The mechanism of action seems to be a stabilization of the nervous system, especially in the inner ear. Dosages ranging from 25 mg to 500 mg per day have been used. Riboflavin is known as the energy vitamin.

16. Nick M

Nick M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      I could totally live with tinnitus in the ear vs. the head tinnitus. I don’t know why but my anxiety and fight or flight goes into overdrive with head tinnitus. It’s a completely different beast. Head tinnitus is also unmaskable for me but ear tinnitus can easily be masked with music or some external sounds.

• Agree Agree x 2
    17. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I woke up with bad tinnitus. It’s sorta hard to know where it’s coming from. It seems more left ear. I’m getting a steroid injection today to my left jaw as they had a cancellation.

@Nick M, I hope you can find some relief. Gabapentin plus Klonopin sometimes works for head tinnitus or maybe Lyrica as that is a stronger version. Mine is usually brutal when I wake up. It could be irritation of the ear canal from my left jaw. Tough to live with day after day. I usually have a static sound. Sometimes my noise goes away but it’s hard to duplicate.

18. Nick M

Nick M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      Thanks. I ordered some NAD+ as I read some had good success. Ginkgo Biloba works for my head tinnitus, it takes the edge off. Good luck with the injection. Report back and let us know how it goes.

19. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had the jaw injection, jaw is sore. I have some Ginkgo. I know it works as a blood thinner. I never knew it worked on head tinnitus.

20. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      How long did you have to take the Ginkgo before noticing an improvement? How much and what brand? I don't think it works for all tinnitus, but it might work for certain types -- like maybe the fluctuating crazy type???

21. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ginkgo spikes me and I have fluctuating crazy type so your mileage may vary.

22. Nick M

Nick M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      I have the Nutricost brand. It works almost immediately for me. I have been off it for a better part of a year and just trying to manage tinnitus with diet, sleep and relaxation but I was losing control and heading down a dark path so I decided to bust out the supplements again. I've been on Ginkgo for a week now and I had 3 good days where the tinnitus was almost unnoticeable and 2 days where it's closer to a 5 or 6 but it hasn't hit the 10 mark where it becomes unbearable and fills my head entirely. I would estimate that Ginkgo has lowered the tinnitus by 50%. I have a different brand as well as NAD+ on the way so I'm going to give those a shot in the coming weeks to see what improvements I see if any. This is not the first time Ginkgo has worked for me, I have tried it in the past with similar success. I just have to be more consistent with taking them.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I've also been supplementing with vitamin D3 but I've been exclusively on D3 supplements in the past and it had no effect on my tinnitus. Maybe the D3 + Ginkgo combo? Who knows.

Never give up.

23. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Did you take it long enough to be sure it was the Ginkgo causing the spike or could it have just been coincidence? I sometimes wonder if spike that I attribute to some new thing I tried were spikes that were going to happen anyway.

24. Tiffany Lynn

Tiffany Lynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototocix drugs. Hearing loss
      Agreed. The head tinnitus is way worse than the ear tinnitus. It's like your brain is in a frying pan 24/7.

• Like Like x 1
    25. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I ordered Tebonin, the German pharma grade Ginkgo of Amazon. The nights I have taken it are reliably some of the worst of my tinnitus experience, almost comically bad. All my tones sound like their straining and are gonna burst. This may not be the case for others, it's just my experience. It is a salicylate which can exacerbate tinnitus. The same thing happens for me with NAC, Grape Seed Extract, and Alpha Lipoic Acid - no idea why.

• Informative Informative x 1
    26. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    27. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      I think I'll skip it then. I've had some of the worst nights using tiny bits of melatonin, but I still wonder if maybe I took the melatonin because I was already "pre-wired" for a bad tinnitus night. I also react badly to chamomile, valerian, NAC and CBD. But alcohol, caffeine and ibuprofen are no problem. So sometimes I wonder if I am setting myself up for spikes by anticipating them.

28. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Honestly it may be worth trying - everyone is different. I just wanted to say for me it made me spike, though the spikes always go down.

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. KWC

KWC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection/TMJ ??
      Did the jaw injection help any?