Why Doesn't Someone Make a Cheap Over the Ear White Noise Generator?

Discussion in 'Support' started by jjflyman, Jul 25, 2018.

1. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      I was thinking of an over the ear white noise generator that is cheap (maybe under $50) that just played a white or pink noise to drown out your tinnitus.

I don't see such a thing available. The only ones I even see are very expensive and you need a doctor to set it up.

• Good Question Good Question x 3
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      You can use headphones and play white/pink/colored noise through them from your phone. White/pink/purple/brown/colored noise doesn't need a doctor to set it up as it is not patient specific. If you need a patient specific sound (such as notched or windowed white noise) then yes, you need outside assistance.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. BobbyH

BobbyH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustical trauma
      You can also download apps designed to be used with hearing aids but will also push through headphones as @GregCA suggests. The one I use alongside my built in masker program is from Resound. They have an app for iPhone and Android. Just hit + for a new profile, go to 3rd tab called “therapeutic” and choice the colored noise you want.

https://www.resound.com/en-us/hearing-aids/apps/relief

4. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I use this app, too. I felt the app allows far more customization than the limited options offered by the hearing aids I tried. It’s not difficult to keep the volume right below tinnitus. Several of the audiologists that I saw actually recommended using an app versus a WNG. They said with today’s app and speaker technology (yay for Bose), the results would be the same but the cost would obviously be significantly better.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Screenshot_20180726-194945_Twitter.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      @glynis
      Yeah, I was thinking of something that went behind or over your ear (like the older style hearing aids), not necessarily "in" your ear canal.
      It would play white noise or something at a safe volume.
      I was just thinking something like that might benefit a lot of T sufferers, letting them be mobile and still have a distraction from their T

• Like Like x 1
    7. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced

@jjflyman

I have used white noise generators for 22 years and have a lot of experience with them and have tried various models. One gets what they pay for. A cheaper alternative would be using a sound app or alternative source through headphones which I don't advise especially for someone with "noise induced tinnitus". For other types of tinnitus this may suffice but I deal with noise induced tinnitus because I'm familiar with it and note your tinnitus was caused by noise trauma. White, pink, brown noise played through headphones into the ear, even at low volume will sound harsh, crude and abrasive compared to the smooth gentle sound of white or pink noise delivered into the ear by a device, that is specifically made for this purpose. It's audio range will be properly regulated which cannot be matched using headphones. Believe me I've tried it - because people with noise trauma usually have an overly sensitive auditory system especially when hyperacusis is present, this is further reason, I recommend using the correct device for supplying white noise into the ear.

Before anyone says: it's alright for you because your WNGs were supplied free on the NHS. Indeed they were but our healthcare system is funded through our national insurance contributions and I've paid my way. Because I didn't want to wear BTE (Behind The Ear) white noise generators on the street since they closely resemble hearing aids. I don't have long hair to help cover them. I purchased privately, smaller and more discrete in-ear white noise generators that fit in the entrance to the ear canal and can hardly be seen. They are fitted with a volume control and operate in exactly the same way as BTE white noise generators. They deliver smooth gentle sound to the ears and auditory system.

Michael

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I was fortunate enough to have insurance that paid for my ReSound hearing aid (despite the fact that my hear isn't all that bad) and I use its Bluetooth function to listen to sounds that help deflect my attention from my tinnitus. I love it and don't know where I'd be without it.

• Like Like x 1
    9. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      There's a lot of Bluetooth ear pieces to choose from. They can be used to pick up phone calls but they can also be used to play sounds from your phone, including colored sounds. Some are discrete, others a bit more futuristic and obvious.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I totally understand what you are saying. That would be really helpful.
      Okay, a thought just occurred to me today that you could buy a cheap used hearing aid on ebay and have a local guy program the masker for you. Of course you would need to make sure that the particular hearing aid had masking capabilities but you could find that through online literature or brochures. The other thing you could do is see if the person selling the hearing aids on ebay could program it for various masking frequencies depending on the amount of programs that hearing aid had. I also saw services on there offering programming for people who had aids. It could be a LOT cheaper doing that then buying a new pair at a hearing aid center. :)

11. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      Hello Jason,

Did anyone ever point you in the right direction on this?

I've been wanting to invent an earpiece specifically for T masking but keep getting sidetracked. -- It would need to sell for less than $50 and I have the marketing know-how to get the word out.

I found one being sold in Europe for $400 but that seems to be the only thing out there.

Thanks,
      John

12. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      My personal experience is that (even quiet) masking makes my tinnitus really loud, no matter if it comes from headphones and the Internet or from the most expensive hearing aids on the market (which I have).
      I think masking is just a way of temporary relief, not a way to healing.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    13. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Unfortunately, I am not aware of any stand alone masking device that goes on like a hearing aid. That would be fantastic if you could get it made and sell it under $50!! If you do, please let us know. :)

14. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I will research and see if I can present it to some kind of investor finance group to develop.

Just being able to wear one for a few hours a day without needing to deal with my smart phone would be great..

I was doing pretty well until I was exposed to a loud environment 2 weeks ago and now I feel like I'm back to where I was 3 years ago.. :-(

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Why cant they just make a drug that regrows our cochlear hair cells?

16. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Oh wow..I am so sorry to hear that John. I sincerely hope the tinnitus will go back down for you asap. I know it can be tough. Thanks for trying to put this together.

17. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks Jason. -- I am doing better today.

Masking and eating healthy really helps me get back on track and out of depression.

I will update you soon on my masking ear piece idea. -- It's a long shot but I know it would help thousands of T sufferers..

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    18. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      Hi can you tell me the brand for this? I use over the ears. I'd like to get one of these small noise generator. Thanks.

19. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I use the smallest in-ear white noise generators available that are made by: Puretone. Model MM10 Non digital. If you purchase the digital model DAC TRT it needs to be taken to an Audiologist to be set up. I don't think a digital model is necessary. My BTE white noise generators are digital and were set up on a computer by my Audiologist whilst I wore them to tailor the sound to my needs. My MM10s (non digital) work just as well. Various outputs are available but 60db output is the standard and it's what I use.

Puretone sell, MM1 and MM2, MM8 which are slightly larger and cheaper than the MM10.

Although one white noise generator can be worn, it is recommended two should be used to keep the auditory system in balance. The link below will take you to the website.

http://www.puretoneretail.net/tinnitus.html

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    20. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      • Like Like x 1
    21. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Hey John, I just thought an interesting features that the masker could have. What about a hearing aid masker that had various sounds either built in or downloadable but were able to be frequency adjustable by a wifi app? Many of the hearing aids today have various types of "white noise" built in but not many that I know of have advanced sound generators. Some of the hearing aids have bluetooth streaming from the smartphone but it really drains the hearing aid batteries.

If you need some help with making the sounds, you could talk to Stephane Pigeon. Maybe he could help. When I was really suffering with tinnitus, his sound generating website really helped me a lot. His website is mynoise.net. I can't speak for him of course but I figured I would mention this to you and also that if your own tinnitus gets really bad you can download the mynoise app or go to the website for some decent masking.

22. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you Jason.

I will check that out for sure.

I've been trying to figure out how to get investors interested in an ear piece masker and Stephane would be a good place to start as I prepare a business plan.

My real estate business has been picking up so that is sort of sidetracking me but I will get on it again soon. -- The T in my head is a constant reminder.

Also, I'm still dealing with a spike since Halloween and my latest attempt to lower it is to eat better and excercise. -- I'm hoping my bad eating and weight gain is what caused the spike and not my friend showing off his car stereo to me without my ear plugs..

23. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      You are very welcome! Please let us know how your conversation with Staphane goes.

Since this masking device would be similar to the way a hearing aid would look, and would have some of the same parts, I have a link to an article that may help you out. It's by Maxim Integrated (an American company that sells electronic chips) that talks about design considerations when building a hearing aid. It includes a block diagram of a hearing aid and some of the parts that would be needed along with links where you can request free sample parts. Perhaps someone at the company could email you what they think it would cost to make such a device and give you some design ideas. It's just a thought. If it isn't useful, I apologize. :) I really appreciate you putting this idea on Tinnitus Talk.

https://pdfserv.maximintegrated.com/en/an/AN4691.pdf

I really hope your spike goes down asap!!

24. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks Jason! -- You are a wealth of information! :)

I will dig into this and get back to you soon.

25. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      You are very welcome!

26. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      One other thing I wanted to tell you. Hopefully this device could be built in America but if all else fails due to economic reasons, parts could be bought in China and then the maskers could be assembled in the USA. For example, you could buy something like these hearing aid shells in China:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...pm=a2700.7724857.normalList.14.26784234DssvuE

OR you could buy a custom plastic injection mold from China for the masker's "shells" and give the mold to a company here in the U.S. to make the shells.

Anyways, I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving! :)

27. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you Jason. I actually have a friend who owns a plastics molding company down near St Louis, Missouri.

I really appreciate your help with this and will get back to you soon.

What country are you in?

28. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Oh wow that is awesome! I'm in the United States.

29. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma