Why Is Tinnitus Not More Common? Loud Bars, Concerts, Restaurants...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Yuuls, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Sash
      Doubtful

Sash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cleaning out wax
      @Juan

Yes totally agree there is no escaping Loud sound. Hate it when I go jogging and hear motorbikes and some diesel vehicles that wizzes past me.

2. Sash
      Doubtful

Sash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cleaning out wax
      Makes me sad you are thinking of moving Not sure it will help a great deal unless the noise is constantly over 80 decibels. Some modifications in your life style are required perhaps using other means of transport. London Underground here is so loud and glad I only use it once a year. I do think your tinnitus will improve in time as it still early days for you and that you are sensible and aware of taking precautions where necessary. A lot of young people still carry on until it’s too late simply they are not aware of Tinnitus etc.

3. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      @Yuuls

Yes nerves can heal, if you follow people on these forums who had a clear case of noise trauma, pretty much everyone said that hyperacusis did improve a lot or even go away after 2+ years, so surely something must have healed, albeit very slowly.

I did a lot of light therapy, aka LLLT or photobiomodulation which has a proven scientific track report of healing nerves in various other issues.
      Did it heal better or just faster, no one will know but it does not hurt, has no side effects and is a very low cost therapy - if you use the new powerful LED not the older lasers.

4. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I think tinnitus IS more common. Some people either have it mildly or they are good at ignoring it. I think more people have tinnitus than we actually suspect.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Today there was an article on the incredible amount of noise in India and it specifically stated that there is an epidemic of hearing problems there, deafness, tinnitus etc...

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. Phat Tuna

Phat Tuna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hygienist
      This. I've seen 15 or so health practitioners ever since getting tinnitus and every. single. one. of them says they too have tinnitus, but it doesn't bother them.

7. Phat Tuna

Phat Tuna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hygienist
      Are konftec's lasers considered new powerful LED or older lasers?

8. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      Mild tinnitus... versus severe, big difference. Doctors see a wide variety of human imperfections and Docs tend to be very practical people. So their mild tinnitus is just something that they endure and it can be masked, but they can say they are “in the club.” I also believe many people mention they have tinnitus to simply to sound empathetic... they lie.

Some people have tinnitus on top of... diabetes, floaters, arthritis, IBS, fibromyalgia, cancer, etc... a range of human conditions.

This is a tinnitus forum, so you have many new people come here that are younger, and this is the first physical frailty they may have ever experienced. Then you have the severe cases...

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      old lasers..and weak and expensive
      I looked on eBay and got a 20W LED in the 900nm range and the power supply, heat sink etc...
      It's not a package, it needs to be put together but some have done it here and posted pics.

The whole set will cost under 100 USD and deliver approx 2000 milliwatts (mW) of optical power which is a lot more than the typical 50 mW of these expensive, weak lasers devices.
      Optical power is about 1/10 of the electrical power for LED.
      More power means deeper penetration.

10. Foamearplugssuck
      Angry

Foamearplugssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/26/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doing concert photography
      Oof, this hit hard. I'm in the same position as you. I got my tinnitus one week after I saw my favorite band perform live, and I think that show really did me in. I live in a major US city too and the noise from traffic and transportation makes me sick. I was so excited to move here, but now I just feel empty and broken.

People always say "wow, you're so lucky to live there! you must go to so many concerts and events!" Then I have to look like a loser and say that I never actually go out because I don't want to worsen my tinnitus. And then I get extra depressed because I think of all the ways in which tinnitus has ruined my life. Fun stuff.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Yuuls
      Dreaming

Yuuls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Ugh honestly I feel this so much. I am so sorry you’re experiencing the same thing.
      I’m trying to find ways to turn my life around a bit and find things I like to do that are quiet but it’s so hard.

My life used to be sports events, concerts, bars, trips that involve going out with the girls (restaurants/clubs). I was never big on nature/camping/sitting at home reading and stuff like that. I’m really struggling on finding ways to entertain myself since I can’t join my friends in any of the things they do.

I’m still gonna get custom ear plugs as most foam ones are all insanely big on me (but I have tiny ears) so I can at least enjoy moderately loud places like bars and restaurants and not be totally isolated.

Or try to at least stick to outdoor things like wineries, breweries with patios, etc (weather permitting - our climate is mild but it’s usually foggy/chilly here until about a few good weeks of weather in September/October ) but I just hate feeling restricted :( I guess this is life now.

Even if my tinnitus does go down to a tolerable level, I will forever be afraid.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    12. Foamearplugssuck
      Angry

Foamearplugssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/26/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doing concert photography
      I hope you get custom plugs soon. They made my life so much easier as I wasn't trying to cram foam ones into my pin-sized ear canals [which never really works out for me lol].

But yeah. I'm sorry you can relate. I was never a big party person, so when I went out with my friends, it felt really special and exciting to me. Now, I just feel even more isolated and alone. It makes socializing even harder for me, and I wonder how I'm going to live my life and make new friends with this.

My T is at a tolerable level for now. I'm thankful for that, and I know I'm extremely lucky, but I know it's going to become absolutely maddening if I continue to pursue my passions in life. I'll probably need hearing aids by the time I'm 30. And, like you said, even if it were to go away, I still wouldn't risk wearing headphones or going to concerts again because I dont want it to come back. And I think that's the hardest part--by virtue of having tinnitus for several months, my life has changed for the worst. I will never go to a concert again for fun. I will never have that simple joy of listening to music on the train and watching the world go by. I will never be able to DJ again. The noise itself isnt the worst part [for me at least], it's everything the noise prevents me from doing.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    13. serendipity1996
      No Mood

serendipity1996 Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 - T, 2016- H, relapsed 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      I also wonder about this considering how noisy the world is not to mention all the people who use airpods/earbuds. I think that unfortunately some of us are just more prone to hearing damage than others. I have a friend who has had tinnitus since he was 8 due to firing a cap gun next to his year yet he constantly uses headphones, goes out to clubs and DJs with no issues. (he's 23). I first acquired tinnitus about 8 years ago and didn't know anything about protection etc so I just carried on as usual and was totally ignorant. It wasn't until about 3-4 years ago that my ears became problematic with the addition of hyperacusis. Admittedly, both my T and H are mild; I would say my H is definitely more burdensome than the T, however, and it's made me quite paranoid about loud environments.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. cjbhab
      Curious

cjbhab Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinuses, Ear infection
      The answer is hearing loss by itself doesn’t cause tinnitus... it’s something else.

If hearing loss caused tinnitus, everyone would have it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    15. Badger19

Badger19 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      For some reason, a large majority of people with hearing damage don't develop tinnitus.

16. Bobby Sinatra

Bobby Sinatra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ambien Windrawal Suspected
      i was just watching some footage of live rap/rock shows on YouTube... the level in these shows is obscene... these artists laying on speakers... tons of kids in the front row... to the viewers it's one night but the artists do it day in day out... and still they don't get tinnitus or talk about it... amazes me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Could you please share a link to the article? The same applies to many places I'm sure. I've never been to China but I expect with all the people there is pretty noisy too.

• Like Like x 1
    18. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      It wasnt very technical. It is just a newspaper article in Spanish I read on India and Bangladesh. There was an ENT saying that hearing problems are an epidemic there, and equivalent to air pollution, actually hearing problems in the ENTs opinion are more invisible than air pollution, that can be quite evident in the most densely populated cities.

• Like Like x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
    19. Flamingo1

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Honestly, for those who are ruing their lack of a social life due to tinnitus, if you had your hearing restored to its pristine state, would you start going again to loud places like bars, concerts, sporting events and restaurants? Especially with what you know now about how damaging noise can be? I wouldn't!

For me it's both awareness AND tinnitus that prevent me from going out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Emanuel Lourenco
      No Mood

Emanuel Lourenco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Also it is proven that not everyone gets it, a lot of the portion of people with hearing loss never actually get tinnitus,so it's really not a common problem even though the situations that can cause tinnitus are quite common nowadays, some people are just luckier than others... And also it does not help that its severity can vary a lot...

• Agree Agree x 2
    21. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      My tinnitus was severe but I would say it is mild to moderate now. However I have several tones - low pitched moderately loud rumble, a quiet tonal sound in one ear (both of which are constant), and a high sound which varies between static reactive hissing mostly in the right ear, and a moderately loud ringing that fills the head. I don't know if it is better or worse to have this variety rather than a single constant sound, and some of my sounds bother me more at times than others. I can usually find ways to ignore each of them enough on any day to cope though.

22. Shaz1
      Gloomy

Shaz1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wellbutrin / Noise Exposure
      Eh I’d still go, I’d just wear earplugs when it was loud and be more proactive about it. Sadly I was doing that for a few years before I got chronic tinnitus, I just had a few incidents where I forgot them and also years before that where I never used them. And then medication is what truly screwed me over.

I am certainly telling lots of friends who don’t yet have issues about hearing protection though.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    23. Bobby Sinatra

Bobby Sinatra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ambien Windrawal Suspected
      The point is that despite all this abuse... those people still don't get tinnitus... like why us.

24. Flamingo1

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Maybe they have it and just don't realize it. I had never heard of tinnitus until I did an internet search on my symptoms!

25. Shaz1
      Gloomy

Shaz1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wellbutrin / Noise Exposure
      Some people heavily smoke cigs their whole lives and never get lung cancer

26. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      Good question. I think that we are predisposed, sadly. Maybe we have weak ears or some kind of brain problem. None of my friend have this loud ringing. In fact, they don´t have it even in a mild form, and they go to pubs, nightclubs and concerts every weekend. They are 35 years old, and live that way since teenage days.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    27. Dave555
      Alienated

Dave555 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/9/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power tools
      I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm thinking it's proximity. My acoustic trauma was being within 10 inches of a power saw and other power tools that could be heard a mile away. So even though a concert is loud, normally people do not have their ears within 10 inches of the source of the sound. Also, as others point out, some people might be better able to overcome it either through better healing or their minds accepting the hearing loss.

• Like Like x 1
    28. serendipity1996
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      That's an interesting perspective and one that I think deserves further exploration. I wonder if there's also some psychological components that feed into this predisposition - I was already neurotic, anxious, and highly-strung before tinnitus which hasn't helped. I also wonder why some people can get tinnitus and then experience no worsening whatsoever even though they continue to abuse their ears. Also considering how common tinnitus is, it's likely that most people with it (which is probably fairly mild) carry on as normal and don't go to the lengths of over-protecting etc. Sadly, I think there's just not enough awareness and minimal education about the dangers of loud noise exposure and noise pollution.

There's little understanding of hearing loss/damage and the fact that it's not just a case of sounds being quieter. And hearing aids aren't a quick fix, either - not by a long shot. They don't normalise hearing. I had barely even heard of tinnitus let alone its malevolent cousin hyperacusis before onset.

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      Well... It´s just an anecdote, but one of my sisters have moderate (not so bad) tinnitus and she is an introvert girl. My other sister loves social life and went to a lot of nightclubs and shows... no tinnitus.

Many months ago I read about a link between tinnitus and type D personality.

30. serendipity1996
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      I just looked up type D personality...fits me perfectly lmao. Yeah, it's interesting a friend of mine has had T since he was 8 from a noise trauma (cap gun fired next to his ear) and regularly uses headphones, goes to nightclubs, festivals, and DJs with no problems. He's one of the most chilled people I know (although I managed to successfully nag him into using earplugs for clubbing haha). It's just anecdotal ofc but it definitely makes you wonder...perhaps with a more anxious disposition our nervous systems are somehow more vulnerable and therefore prone to damage, who knows. I don't have a scientific background though so can only speculate.

• Agree Agree x 1