Will.i.am on Loose Women (British Chat Show) Talking About Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Ed209, May 4, 2020.

1. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I’ve never seen this clip before, so I did a search to see if anyone else has posted it before and it appears that nobody has.

Skip to 7:00 and watch from there. One part I find annoying is when Carol (the blonde lady to his right) said that her husband has it, saying, “he goes on about it all the time.”

So, he’s clearly bothered by it, and yet she makes a mockery of it on live TV. I guess this is the perception that most other halves have of their partners’ tinnitus.

I’m totally fine with humour, as long as at some point the potential seriousness of the condition is also addressed. That’s my take on it at least.

Will.i.am Reveals How He Is Able to Judge The...

• Agree Agree x 4
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I’d also note that it was only two weeks after this was broadcast that there was a national appeal to try and get more funding into tinnitus research.

I can see why people wouldn’t necessarily want to sign a petition - like the one the BTA launched - if they’d just watched an interview like that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Watching them laugh and joke about it, just make me sick to my stomach to be honest. Like for real.

• Agree Agree x 12
    4. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Yeah, that's just what we don't need. Can take him off any list as a potential face to help the tinnitus cause. Makes me think he can't have it very severe; that or he is somehow able to deal with it or is putting on a happy face for tv (and his record company).

• Agree Agree x 5
    5. aot
      Depressed

aot Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016. Worsened 11/2019.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise induced, worsened due to noise exposur + flu
      Not available in my country but I don't think I'd want to watch this anyway. It's easier to habituate I guess when you have all the money in the world. No wonder people don't take this shit seriously.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      It can't be severe going by his comments. No signs of hyperacusis either. Lucky Will.

• Agree Agree x 3
    7. Lucifer

Lucifer Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I still wonder how these musicians can still go on tour and have tinnitus. Majority of us would get worse the longer we continue to go on tour. It doesn’t make sense how they can continue doing this.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      It’s difficult to say what his experience with tinnitus is like, which is the same for any of us, to be honest. We’ll never know what others have to deal with and will only ever know what our own experience is like.

He could have a relatively mild case or he could have it quite bad; we’ll never really know. However, with the considerable amount of noise he’s been exposed to over the years, it’s likely he has at least a moderate case.

I don’t think it has anything to do with a record label influencing what he should say as he is now big enough to call the shots himself. He has his own label which is partnered with Interscope. He may be putting on a happy face and it could make him feel miserable at home, at times, but again, we’ll never know unless he tells us. The way he spoke about turning the music up suggests that he doesn’t worry too much about it, though. Who knows?

I just thought the way they handled it on that show was disgraceful. Someone should tell Carol that people have ended their lives because of this shit and the last thing their families want to see is a panel of people falling over themselves laughing about it. Don’t get me wrong, I love comedy and I actually think it’s ok to joke about serious issues, but nobody ever takes tinnitus seriously!

They could have shown more class and made it clear what a vile shit show of a condition it is for millions of people. Will.i.am could have taken the opportunity to promote sound safety or earplug usage, or at the very least warned others of what’s at stake.

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 5
      • Winner Winner x 1
    9. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Fuck off. Why bring up this piece of shit?

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Lucifer

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I just watched the clip now and I do think they should have talked about the seriousness of tinnitus but also hyperacusis as well with the exposure of loud noise. Watching everyone laugh makes me feel like shit. If only these people know that sound damage is more than just hearing loss and you could also get ringing in the ears but also get pain (hyperacusis) as well maybe people will treat this condition more seriously.

We need better celebrities to raise awareness about tinnitus and hyperacusis or we are going nowhere with this.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    11. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Absolutely disgusting!!!

This is their email if somebody more eloquent than me wants to tell them a few facts:

Loose.Women@itv.com

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    12. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Why watch that? I chatted with young people a while ago and someone brought up that pos. I wish some gang banger would take him out. People should just ignore him.

13. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Of course, it's not very severe. Real musicians out there also have it but it's probably not severe for them either.

But, one musician committed suicide because of their tinnitus so I bet it was severe and loud. I think loud tinnitus is devastating to anyone when it's loud enough and that is especially true for a musician. But, only when it's severe.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/05/inspiral-carpets-drummer-killed-suffering-tinnitus/

• Useful Useful x 1
    14. serendipity1996
      No Mood

serendipity1996 Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 - T, 2016- H, relapsed 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      Yeah, I agree completely with this and I think these kinds of blase attitudes massive downplay it for what it is, in most cases the sign of irreversible acoustic trauma.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      So, Carol was gonna go home and tell her husband “tin nigh tus the night!” Surely he’d think, “wtf has she been smoking.”

• Funny Funny x 3
    16. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Carol should be challenged to wear, on the show, headphones with tinnitus sound to see how fun it is for us and her husband!

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    17. Lucifer

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      It is unbelievable how people who have no experience on what we suffer continue to mock our suffering. If they had it for a week and if it keeps fluctuating due to noise then they will understand why we struggle to continue our normal lives and it’s not as simple as enduring the noise.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    18. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Well I am (Will.i.am) disappointed in the video...

He could have been so proactive giving tinnitus the recognition it deserves on live tv.
      He needs to come on here...

I've not been on here for a while and first time I have seen this...

Very disrespectful to all tinnitus sufferers but I guess some people just don't want talk about it even if tinnitus needs more awareness.

Glynis

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    19. CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      I have no respect for will.i.am now, he's making a mockery of our condition, like it's total joke.

I've seen interviews with all these celebrities, they all downplay it like it's nothing, and they are worth billions and do nothing to help.

Shame on you will.i.am. Terrible publicity, brutal.
      The guy is an asshole. He's in the music industry; what a hypocrite, he's downplaying it on purpose not to affect his career and selfish personal goals and gains.
      I've always wondered about that, they must have it VERY mild.
      Did they even answer? I don't want to waste time.