Wondering What We All Do for Our Work/Job/Living

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Cher69, Jul 29, 2013.

1. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Hi Marlene, you are correct, my wife was no where near me when I posted I was under paid:D Been a Ham for about 40 years. Lookin at the neighbor lady for about 20:rolleyes:

I really liked my job, I worked in a factory, so we called ourselves "Factory Rats" I started out working on the assembly line, then went to school and became an electrician there. I am very fortunate the have a good retirement plan & medical coverage. Company was/is good to me.

I may change my avatar to a telescope, or a photo of myself. I'll look around and see what I can find. Many "HAPPY B DAY" wishes you're way:beeranimation: I can see many many more for you....

ps: ask your husband if could still Pound Brass

• Like Like x 1
    2. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Gary,message from his lordship,best beef essence whatever that means to you both,says he could still put out 25 words per minute,jargon I'm lost ,our friend Tom was a big time radio Ham Ex Royal Marine Signaller,maybe you have spoken in the past,never know hey.
      Done okay job wise then Gary,good when you work for an employer who looks after there employees,your health system lot different than ours,if you want quicker care ,you take out Private insurance,NHS has an 18 week window in which you have to be seen at a hospital. Hospitals got to many in admin,takes big chunk of cash out of the system,expect same where you are.
      I to hope got few more birthdays left in me,thank you.Keep on tapping hey,and behave yourself with that telescope,gave me a smile today.

3. Ray Seddon
      Amused

Ray Seddon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unprotected hearing damage
      Hi Marlene
      Great to hear your stories.
      Ive just turned 68, now part-retired (work 2days/week) that keeps me out from under mother's feet - been married for 44yrs (on my third 'life' sentence! - so is Jen I guess). Done many things through life, some with some success, others not but have worked since 13. Now working as an assessor (drivers licence tester) for WA Transport Dept, been with them 18yrs, longest I ever had a job, previously worked in management and auditing with the Dept. I am really enjoying the free time part-retirement has given me, our place isn't big enough to occupy my time 7 days a week, so I work 2 dys, ride motorcycles 3 days, and get under Jen's feet the other 2, we reckon we can both just about survive that. Absolutely love motorcycling with a social group here. Currently teaching Jen to ride (67yrs) she is doing great, a wonderful and gutsy lady, gotta be to put up with me so long. We travel interstate once a year by motorbikes for a holiday; next year Jen will ride her own. I manage to enjoy things despite this crazy T thing - after 29yrs with it I'm pretty much over it, ignore or mask it most of the time. Hobby is landscape oil painting, now I have the time I hope to get back to it as I haven't painted for many, many years. Cheers and thanks - good to read your posts and chat.
      Ray.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Ray Seddon
      Amused

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sorry Cher69 - should have said Hi - this is your thread and thanks for it, great idea. We need to forget this T thing and this is a great way of doing that.

• Like Like x 1
    5. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Tell Your Lordship 25 wpm is about where I am at, have not touched a key though in about 20 some years. I always liked CW not SSB. Yes, I very well may have had contact with Tom if he was on 40 meters.

Glad I could put a smile on your face, Tell your LS he should think about a telescope:whistle:

73 Gary

• Like Like x 1
    6. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      :)

7. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Don't encourage Gary ,sounds bad enough now,you chaps I don't know ,now he's wanting my husband to get a scope.tut tut tut.

8. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Gary telescope a no no ,that's from her indoors (ME ). See the Tut Tut above to At the edge
      His Lordship says Voice his preferred choice ,with a smile on his face,he was a Sigs Sgt Major
      Tom was on 40 meters he said ,sadly Tom died 3 yrs next January, still got his call sign on big comp,find it maybe you'll recognise it,he spent hours on his radio,another Ex Royal ( local) another ham,mine never got into it when left the Royal Marines.
      Be good ,poor wife of yours Ha Ha

9. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Poor Wife what about me:) I have to live with her. I see women are the same all over the world:D

Too bad about Tom, yes I may have communicated if was on 40 CW.

10. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Nothing wrong with us Ladies worldwide Gary. Look what we have to put up with Ha Ha,you men have it good and you know it .
      Mines got tinnitus,had it over 30 years ,had ear op first year he left the services,had bit of tubing cut out often wonder if using radio headset for his early years in corp set that damage off,he's deaf in that ear now,know more to the dangers of headsets today.
      Have good rest of your day treat the Mrs to some flowers hey,surprise her,for your cheek.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      There's a lot of usRay,great hearing what others do outside of this daily nut driving T,lightens the T day,you to have had a busy life,think when you get to our ages,we have been and done a lot,you've had T as long as my husband then.he doesen't let his bother him,well hardly ever.
      Bet people love you if your road testing them,took my test 43 years ago,my husband tried to teach me how to ride a scooter back in the 60's,hopeless springs to mind. .Happier in a car,metal around me,he's got a Vespa scooter now,love it,so much quicker he says,got to agree.to much traffic on the roads.
      Nice when retired get out and enjoy life,my cousins just been over from Bribie Island,Aussie surprise visit,his visit went to fast 6 weeks.
      Long time married like me and Gary ,there's a lot of us getting closer to that 50 year.
      My husband got into cross stitching as a hobbie does some lovely work.couple of his former Royal Marine mates do it to.surprised me.Loves his gardening,he's 69.
      Nice to chat Ray,how small this world is with the internet.God Bless

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Ray Seddon
      Amused

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Marlene. I relate to teaching Jen to ride a scooter; she's fallen a couple of times and at our ages it takes more than ages for bruises to heal... so it's a long process but she's determined - she may give up yet, hope not but we'll see. I've often been fascinated by, of all things people remember through life, one of them is their wedding day and another is their driving test. Bet you can still recall yours, 43 years ago!! I suspect it's because it's a really, really stressful experience. Kids come in and it only takes a frown or a surly comment to completely destroy their efforts. The first ten seconds, it's all in the way they are approached. Glad to hear Gary enjoys his Vespa, they are as much fun as a barrel of monkeys. I've got my eye on Jen's little scoot; when she gets her licence she will ride her converted trike and I think I might adopt her Sym and give it a caring home. Great to buzz over to the shops. Thanks for the chat Marlene.

13. Ray Seddon
      Amused

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hmmm... just found a telescope in the spare room, dusted it off but haven't found any neighbour ladies yet... Amazing what you can learn on this forum, all sorts of tricks... heh heh... PS Jen doesn't do this forum. Lucky for me. She has a mean straight left.

14. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Hi Ray,don't let Gary encourage you,leave that scope where you found it.Tricks indeed.!Plus nothing gets by us girls just ask your Mrs,always one jump ahead of you men always.Hence stronger sex,
      Maggie Thatcher. One of UK 's best prime ministers ,( iron lady ) all MP 's feared her,I rest my case Ray
      Have a good day,hope T behaving,mines low detest it low,stays like it all blinking day.Nothing will bring it up. Not a Happy Camper as we say.Takecare Mar

15. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      I must concede, women are smarter than men, they just let us think we are smarter, so we let our guard down...

16. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Hi Ray, OK on the telescope. One rule, to be fair, ladies have to be outside. No looking into windows!!!

17. Ray Seddon
      Amused

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yep the telescope doesn't work all that well, seems to be out of focus - wouldn't be my eyes would it... <sighhh> maybe just as well, I get onto enough trouble without this...

18. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Go for the eyes Ray,Gary will be on the refocusing the telescope like a shot ,wait for it.........
      Hey Gary my 3 Cocker spaniels have got a star named after them,when they passed on. My daughter done this for me ,how sweet was that to do that kindness.
      Now lads ,be good this weekend, don't forget those flowers either of you. Takecare both xx

19. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Marlene Ok on the star naming, that was quite popular here a few years ago.

Flowers? it will be next month on the 19th, that's when our 44th anniversary is...

20. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Ray, maybe a pair of binoculars. You want a pair that are 7X35 in power. Easy to hide in the house too...

21. astronomer
      Spaced

astronomer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      april 12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced ( factory/rock band )
      have been working for pillsbury canada for 33 years , started at 18, will be retired in 8.5 years at 60,it is a food manufacturing plant , we are now owned by general mills,our plant makes crescent rolls, turnovers ( fruit filling ) cookies ( chocolate chip, sugar,ginger bread ) frozen pizza ( pepp/bacon,3 cheese,deluxe ),all these are to be baked in the oven,in north america many people would know the t.v commercials with the pillsbury doughboy,he always gets poked in the stomach, well so do i :),K.C

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
    22. SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      Mmmm... hungry now! lol

23. Albert Savage

Albert Savage Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1972
      I do not work. I am a man of leisure. I retired at the end of 2007. When I did work, I was a senior Electrical Lineman with a major utility in Southern California.

• Like Like x 1
    24. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've got two degrees in music (double bass and bass guitar, both in jazz), but I decided to leave the music business and I'm currently getting a degree in Computing Science. I consider myself very lucky for having gotten this chance!

All my musical activities are on hold for now, as I first would like to have some more medical advice on my recently acquired T. If it seems safe, I'll get back to playing commercial work (live background music) for financial reasons and continue recording my own creative endeavors. I'll probably have to stay away from anything loud from now on, though.

My future plans are always being adjusted but, right now my plan is to get work, well... anywhere but in the commercial sector. Research, education, NGO's, foundations... it's all fine with me, as long as I can help to make the world a better place. Climate change, medical research and (internet) security are some of the possibilities.

I'd like to travel the world, do some volunteering, see how I can be the most effective at reducing suffering, and keep adjusting my path. I hope that my (future) words, music and photography will inspire others.

And yes, I am actually a gecko.

25. chvrlotte
      Cool

chvrlotte Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      I'm doing a victory lap in high school, and after that I'm hoping to go to university to get a BA in Sociology. In my spare time, I'm a waitress though. What a blast that is.

26. aylp
      Depressed

aylp Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      Hi I am Lecturer in Economics in the UK. I just have gotten my PhD in Spain and started working here in the UK.

• Like Like x 1
    27. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Advertising and Public Relations is what my college diploma reads, worked in several advertising agencies Midtown NYC for some years... Today I homeschool my 2 daughters, so that makes me a kindergarten and third grade teacher. :)

28. tomm
      Thinking

tomm Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (club drumming)
      Wow, we have a really diverse set of people hear. I'm a 'DevOps' guy - I get the code from the developers at our company into the 'cloud' - a bunch of servers managed by people like Amazon or Rackspace and make sure all the lights stay green.

I actually am a boat on a lake and work remotely. I have spent the money I was going to buy walls for my house with on HBOT and magnesium supplements.

29. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      I watch other people work. It's much more productive.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    30. Albert Savage

Albert Savage Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1972
      1e4deae21695470a498f977cd667a96f.jpg

Enough said.

• Funny Funny x 1