Wondering What We All Do for Our Work/Job/Living

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Cher69, Jul 29, 2013.

1. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      Above all, I am a single mom of 3 children, 2 girls aged 7 and 5 and a boy, 2.

I am also a full-time damage insurance agent for a Bank.

Besides all this, I am an MBA student.

My life is busy so I don't have time for T to slow me down!!

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 2
    2. Trading sports markets, mostly live. Basketball and tennis is my main business and income.

Wife and a 2 months old little boy.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      wow how on earth do you handle the pressure?

4. MarkD
      Fine

MarkD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High cholestoral, stress, inflammation, diabetes
      Yeah software developers get a lot of exposure to what everyone else is doing and they make plenty. Its definitely a good career choice.

I trade the US futures market for a living and hold a degree in economics. I'm 40, single with no kids (yet).

Nick, do you gamble professionally or just trade odds? NBA and tennis are two sports I'm into as well. Nice one.

5. @Mark, wouldn´t call it gamble but i do it profesionally. Trade the matches in play, done it since 2005. A longshot to meet a fellow sports trader in hereo_O.
      Tennis is the sport that i like the most to trade, but things have changed a lot there since my start 9 years ago. The allowance of bots kills a lot of the action and it´s hard to get matched with value. The same in basketball sadly, the total Points markets use to be very good ones but i cant stand the bots flashing figures any more.
      I do a lot of pre game soccer trading as well, mainly on the correct score markets.
      It´s a nice and lazy job for a sports fanatic thou.:whistle:

Didn´t Think that you aussie guys could trade in play any more?

• Like Like x 2
    6. ampumpkin
      Amused

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Stina Being busy prevents me from being too anxious, thinking about T and repeating the cycle!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Musician/Music Teacher/Producer...

• Like Like x 2
    8. MarkD
      Fine

MarkD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High cholestoral, stress, inflammation, diabetes
      @Nick the Swede I like the sound of that, when you make consistent profits its not really gambling, its more investing. I don't bet often and If i do its usually just for a bit of fun. I'd imagine its a full time job to make money from it.

Last year I built an NBA capping system in excel that had a very high success rate at betting the spread. Other things have taken priority lately but i plan to revisit it when the NBA pre-season starts again.

...and true, in Australia we're not allowed to bet online during play. We have to phone up because Australians like to drink a lot and many would go bankrupt if they could bet online which could create quite a big welfare issue. Betting is largely a transfer of wealth from households to the corporate bookies, so not really in the best interests of the broader public.

9. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      You also repair vintage synths? That is BAD ASS yo.

How'd you get into that?! I always wanted to get into that side of things but had no idea where to start, though I'd assume a basic knowledge of electronics would be required, something I have absolutely no idea about.

10. @MarkD. Sounds interesting that capping sysytem. How much have you tested it?

Guess i do 25-30 hours a week, i never get tired of it because every sport is different to trade. The only downside is that i had to cut down my offtime sportswatching:( a bit.

Maybe it dont mix so good with T either, even if i am pretty relaxed during my trading sessions it´s hard not to get a little adrenaline push at times and T likes me to be calm best i Think:censored:

11. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      @yonkapin I got into that because I have a lot of analog gear and I live on a small island with not a lot of reliable techs. I am not that great with eletronics per se but I love troubleshooting and haunting down faults, its very Zen. And extremely satisfying bringing old gear to life.
      Best way to start is to eh...start :p Just go ahead , rip stuff apart , get to know components etc.

In fact with analog audio electronics its more about getting to know the architecture of synths and be familiar with how they "should" work. From there , you need a scope and you are all set to start troubleshooting.
      I am simplifying but essentially its not that complicated if you dedicate some time and effort into that.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    12. SoulStation
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yo It is very cool that you have studied analog Synths and you help to repair them. I am a definitely a fan of analog/vintage synth and electromechanical keys in general....I Have a old Roland SH-101 and the pitch adjuster (not the pitch wheel, just the one you use to tweak the overall pitch) is loose and wobbly. Any ideas on a fix for it off the top of your head.

• Like Like x 1
    13. RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Yes, Pull off the cap and see if the shaft is loose, if so the you need a new one , or you could pull it out and repair it.
      Sometimes if it has been hit hard or something, then the shaft will come loose from the rest of the pot.
      If the shaft itself is good and the whole pot is loose then pull the synth apart and resolder it in place, although if that is the problem it probably does not work.

This info is obviously of no use to anyone else so lets move any more synth discussions to PM :p

14. SoulStation
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's definitely loose...the cap isn't even on there...i just check it. the Shaft moves around inside the pot... so I'm guessing that means the pot needs to be replaced?

15. RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Yes, I could fix it with my tricks but I would advise you to just replace it.

16. cowdodge
      Grumpy

cowdodge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      When I first got my T's I was about to retire but I decided it would be better not to as I needed something to place my attention into. So instead of retiring at 55 I waited till will was 60 and then pulled the plugged. I'm not fully retired with a great pension but still have this stuff in my head. I do not know why it came back this year but for some reason it did and now I'm trying to work out a program to get my T's to settle back down. In a week or so I will be getting new hearing aids and a sound machine to help with me cope and hibutulate back to where I was last Christmas. Just got to keep busy and that is one of the keys to our problem and sometime that gets old. I'm getting the new Winex hearing aids with the Zin feature plus a sound machine that produces "S" waves. Can't complain about the prices as I got the tenittus while working for the goverment and OWCP has approved my claim for the appliances.

17. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Kids will sure keep you busy besides working! Im trying to conceive actually and have been told today that it may not be possible so really dissapointed but im gonna have to try a few things and praying it works!!!!

• Hug Hug x 2
    18. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I am sending you lots of positive thoughts, @Grace. Many times, people have ended up parents after their docs told them it was not possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    19. ampumpkin
      Amused

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Grace wishing you a +!! In 2008, when I got pregnant with my 2nd daughter, it helped my habituation! I was so happy to expect again... :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    20. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      Type A personality =)

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. JoelJayBheringer

JoelJayBheringer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Joel here, working as a planning engineer for an international construction company. Currently in Auckland but moving to Sydney soon. Only had this for 2 weeks so I'm still hoping it's temporary but still spend most of the day shaking my head to clear the sound out of my ears or trying to get it out with my little finger. Some colleagues may think I've lost the plot. I'm 30 and spend a good deal of my free time listening to music but not lately obviously.

22. Zimichael

Zimichael Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      (1956) > 1980 > 2006 > 2012 > (2015)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ac. Trauma & Ac.Trauma + Meds.
      Just discovered this area of the site (so many I have not been yet).

Geez, job??? And briefly = not easy for me as some of you know!

Originally, growing up in Southern Rhodesia (Zimbabwe as of 1980) job was seeing how many snakes could catch in a day, and "roof banger" to avoid getting stomped on by elephants chasing us down the road...Uh, you know, riding on the roof like is totally not done in USA today even in safe places, let alone in the wilds of central Africa. Banging vigorously meant "back up FAST dad!"
      After I graduated from university the war drove me out of country ("taking the gap" we called it) and I did a slew of jobs all over Europe, from working in night clubs in Swiss ski resorts as a "garderobier" (coat hanger-upper in the foyer), to cooks' help in Swedish Transcendental Meditation community near the arctic circle, to Geography teacher in working class area south of London in UK....And so on.
      Then got into organic agriculture and worked on communes, which led to post grad eco-agriculture...which finally took me to USA...which after many adventures and "quasi homesteading" in the Missouri Ozarks (for you oldies - that was during the "back to the land movement" in the early 1980's)...where won a national prize for model farm...that got me employed by a major California winery to create a "garden paradise" and convert their grapes to organic. Which once proved became a model that many others followed. Ha, ha...The days when I would lecture all round the country and say: "One day you will see organic food in Safeway!"...much laughter and shaking of heads.

That was my last 'real job'...as early 1990's I got sick c/o contaminated water at company housing...that led to years of slowly learning what doctors were, and my 'forced medical education'...In-between which I was self-employed doing high end landscape design and "farmscaping" (same thing on a farm scale) for millionaires; taking classes in modern dance (first one at age 43! Boy was that the hardest thing I had taken on); then finally performing on stage (SO COOL! God I miss that!); travelling numerous parts of the world for USAID, and misc. doing organic ag consulting; then was half way through writing a novel and...Well all that ended when I got #4 level T and H in 2012.

Hey sorry...but how can I write up my 'job' in less than that??? Not exactly a one line career...and I left out tons of stuff.

Best, and very interesting bunch of folks here - Michael

• Like Like x 3
    23. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Wow, what a life @Zimichael. I feel like such a sloth for being with the same company 36 years Thanks for posting! I LOVE this thread! Hugs to @Cher69, who started it.

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      Thank you @LadyDi I think its a thread that makes us remember we all have different lives and all manage most of the time to live them fully with T we are an interesting bunch of people with ringing ears ! xx

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    25. Cor

Cor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I work in IT as well. Founded an internet startup in 1993 (before founding an internet startup was cool and before your parents were on internet), and it's been doing well. I still work there, parttime.

• Like Like x 1
    26. kenny
      English

kenny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I am a London black cab driver, so plenty of noise to suppress my tinnitus, been driving a cab for 25yrs, enjoy the freedom of being self employed, also own a motorhome, or for our American,s that an RV(y)

• Like Like x 3
    27. RAY
      Lurking

RAY Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus in left ear
      :) Hi i am in construction, building houses, laying concrete laying drains in sunny England not a good job in winter though but it pays the bills

• Like Like x 1
    28. TDCC
      Confused

TDCC Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      since june 14 2014
      Hi, I work for a charter school. I'm kind of a minion i do different task from parent teacher translations help in office and with supervision, also tough spanish to kinders for 2 years. love working there everyone is amazing.

29. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Cher69 great thread!!!

Retired electrician for Chrysler Corp at the Jefferson North Assembly plant. Had worked there for forty years, started right out of high school at 18

Now a days my hobbies are Ham Radio Operator ( thus the avitar) and Astronomy, enjoy looking at the planets and moon, maybe a neighbor lady on occasion. I may qualify to be a TT Grampa, I am 67. I'm also an under paid husband, been that way for 44 years on September 19. My wife is a real keeper.

• Like Like x 3
    30. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Hi Gary wondered about the Morse key,my husband thought you were an ex Service Signaller as himself or a Radio Ham,know now it's the later solved. Bit cheeky underpaid husband,tell you wife wasn't looking over your shoulder as you typed that,and to the eyeing the neighbour lady what you fellas like,I must e Granma on TT 67 this Sunday,plus been married 47 years think mines a keeper to.
      Did you ever wished you'd had another job in that 40 years.? Nice to be retired my husband says all of 4 years ,another underpaid by yours truly,us wives are good at that. All the best