Would You Date a Girl Who Had a Cold Sore Once?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Pleasure_Paulie, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      I met this girl a few months ago I've been seeing. We have been really hitting it off and all that amazing lovely stuff and have the feels you get inside the chest when things are going great with a partner, and very supportive of my tinnitus too!

Anyway, we had all STD (inc blood) checks as one does as a proper responsible adult when entering into a relationship. We were both negative for all.. Or so I thought..

Long story short, it came up in conversation that she had 1 cold sore 4 years ago she got from her boss. She went back to the doctor and yes, she has HSV1 (I'm confirmed negative). Doctors do not tell you if you're HSV1 positive apparently.

I'm particularly sensitive regarding any health issues (especially since having Tinnitus) and a few other health issues and the impact its had on my life. She has only had 1 cold sore in her life, but I believe the virus can still be passed through contact even if she never has a cold sore again in her life or if I avoid her if she was to get one.

So would you stop dating a girl with the knowledge she COULD pass on the HSV1 Virus to you (eg. Cold sores) and potentially could affect other sexual contract as this can also be passed through oral sex as well. HSV1 has no cure as of yet but apparently 50-60% of the population carry the HSV antibodies as well.

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You don't want to catch that. It might be causing cancer.

Just don't kiss and don't have oral sex. Problem solved.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      haha.. How is that supposed to work though? Realistically, that is impossible!?

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I am not sure why you think it is impossible. Use protection when having sex. Kiss her on the cheek, or kiss her forehead, or hair.

I had never kissed any of the women I had been with. I told each of them that I found the thought of her saliva in my mouth to be disgusting. After that, they never asked to kiss.

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. Onsdag

Onsdag Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, maybe stress
      And here ladies and gentlemen is why Bill Bauer is single.

• Funny Funny x 11
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    6. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Life's too short to worry about cold sores. HSV1 is super common and if she's not having regular breakouts then that's even better.

Sound like she's a keeper, would be unfortunate to break up over something so minor!

• Agree Agree x 5
    7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I came up, on my own, with the main ideas of Men Going Their Own Way (MGTOW) movement years before there was a movement. I also don't see a big difference between men and women [would you have sex with a man who had a sex change operation? neither would I. but what is the difference between that person and a person who was born a woman? the difference is the timing when they began to receive female hormones. but who cares about this timing?] and I am not gay. Also I haven't had my hands amputated.

And THAT is why I am single.

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      This forum wouldn't be the same without you Bill and I mean that. I like your candour and honest approach to life and its issues, which is quite refreshing to see.

Take care
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    9. Spiral
      Balanced

Spiral Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Honestly go for it. It is super common and most people have it. Life is too short to worry about it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems/ETD
      @Bill Bauer Michael is right I also enjoy your honest and upfront approach.

• Like Like x 1
    11. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      Bill you gave me the biggest laugh today I understand your concern but don't sweat the small stuff. She seems like a swell gal. Hey she was honest about it and it's a minor issue. And yes there is medication for that issue. Have fun on a good date you might have met someone with real quality.

• Like Like x 1
    12. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
      Dunno....depends on what she thinks about tinnitus and etc :love:

13. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @Pleasure_Paulie, if your answer is "No" you are severely limiting your dating pool.

According to the following website (and I did search for Australian statistics for you) https://www.sexualhealthaustralia.com.au/genital_herpes.html about 85% of Australians carry the HSV-1 virus, the one that causes a cold sore.

And, if 85% of Australians carry it, unfortunately, you have a pretty good chance of getting it some time in your lifetime.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I had cold sores as a kid but not since childhood. And yes, I kissed the girls and made them cry, but never gave any a virus.

• Funny Funny x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Why did the girls cry?

16. Amiel

Amiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      I would like to provide some speculation but I think it's sexually inappropriate...

17. Daisymay
      Thinking

Daisymay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started after going to a loud concert
      I have been with my boyfriend for almost 11 years and I recently got tested for both types of herpes viruses just because I wanted to know and I am negative. Just be careful when she feels one coming on and you should be fine. I usually don't kiss my boyfriend for about two weeks after his cold sore begins just to be safe and so far so good.

18. Mkc28

Mkc28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown maybe TMJ
      This sounded so familiar so I looked it up. The nursery rhyme Georgie Porgie.

@Pleasure_Paulie, I think this is a decision you have to make. It’s only been a few months, but how much do you like her?? How would you feel without her?

• Like Like x 1
    19. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      No, I most definitely would NOT stop dating a good woman because of that. Although, I wouldn't kiss the cold sores. I'd just navigate my way around them...:cool:
      In no way would I hurt or break off with a good-hearted girl (because of that) who is understanding and very supportive of my T condition as you stated she is about yours.

20. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Georgie Porgie and Pleasure Paulie, they sound like a pair of cads. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    21. Princess Leia

Princess Leia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I did recently stop dating a man, once he divulged he carries the virus and he outbreaks twice a year. I had already been lingering on ending things anyways, but that was definitely the defining sign for me. It of been nice had he told me from the beginning...now I wonder if I have it. Apparently it can spread without the carrier having an actual sore...and I know it is super common everyone, still I would of liked to know.

Single life is sooooooo fun. Lol

22. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I get cold sores. I didnt have one from 2012 until two months ago, 2nd week of my new job, post shitnitus. It's no big deal. You can actually zap them dead in their tracks with an ice cube if caught early.

23. Spiral
      Balanced

Spiral Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Stranger danger. :LOL::D

24. Jammer

Jammer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Probably not. I tend to stay away from people that have herpes. Known cancer causer.