Your Opinion on Hearing Aids with a Masker vs. Earbuds?

Discussion in 'Support' started by RudyL90, Dec 1, 2016.

1. RudyL90

RudyL90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety disorder
      Yes, I chose a vague title on purpose. I need some responses. :D

My only option for a tinnitus sound generator is a hearing aid with tinnitus function:
      Four programmes (i.e. sounds) with SET volume levels. So no way to change the volume of a sound.
      Costs: €550 for two hearing aids (insurance covers €1000)

The thing is: my cheap €5 earbuds (with no noise isolation) can do the trick too, and even better.
      I can choose from a humongous amount of noises + I can set the volume very accurately below my tinnitus sound level.
      And I do not have much money.

Some people advise against using earbuds and I wonder: why?
      What is so good about those hearing aids, so much better than my €5 earbuds?
      I need some convincing, will I buy those expensive hearing aids.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RudyL90

RudyL90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety disorder
      Heh, and then a moderator changed the title.
      Alright then. :p

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hearing aids are set for your hearing just for you and like mine white noise can be added to a setting with or without amplification.
      White noise generators on their own work best with TRT counselling to give you the best chance of habituating to your tinnitus and feeling more positive about your sound you hear.
      Using ear buds and using a mp3 or iPod etc with downloadable white noise don't give you the same support with out TRT but I know some people may only have that option as can not get the right treatment they need.
      White noise needs to be set below your tinnitus or mixing point so your brain will focus on the white noise and push your tinnitus to the background and help your brain build up it's own filter and not see tinnitus as a threat and help you emotionally too.
      Our ears are so delicate that having hearing aids and duel hearing aids or white noise generators and counselling by professionals from ENT and audiology is the best way to go and are set to indeviduals own needs and guidance how to use them....lots of love glynis

• Winner Winner x 1
    4. DefNFlaky
      Inspired

DefNFlaky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hearing aids and ear buds are shaped differently to deliver sounds. Ear buds have their speakers in front to hammer your eardrums to deliver maximum amount of sound. Most hearing aids have their speakers set behind a curved tube to;
      1. Deliver the cleanest bass and treble frequency
      2. Prevent harmful sounds with high amplitudes by having them bounce around before entering the ear canal.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RudyL90

RudyL90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety disorder
      Hi DefNFlaky,

Thank you for your response.

I didn't know that. The cleanest bass and treble frequency? My hearing aids (on try) do not have good bass sound. The noise is now set to the lowest frequencies of pink noise and the pink noise of my cheap ear buds still has more bass in it (even on a seemingly lower volume). Maybe it's the size of the speakers.

Any reasons for why I should go for hearing aids instead of the cheap ear buds?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RudyL90

RudyL90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety disorder
      Hi Gylnis,

Thank you for your response.

My hearing aids are set without amplification. It is not needed as my hearing is better than that of the average 26 year old.
      For me there are unfortunately no professionals to guide me, not nearby anyway. TRT from Jastreboff and Hazel will do, my new bible. :)
      But what makes my hearing aids so much better? Yes, my ear buds might block external sound a bit more and they are more visible to others. Except for these two points I do not see why hearing aids are better. Especially those I have now, which cannot set the masking sound just below the mixing point accurately.

Kind regards,
      Rudy

7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Masking needs to be below your tinnitus sound so your brain works hard to pick up the masking sound and your brain learns not to focus on your tinnitus sound to push it to the background.
      Your brain will then learn to not see your tinnitus sound as a threat and even if hear it you won't be as botherd by it and that helps your emotional response to your tinnitus to be more positive and less chance of getting depression . ...lots of love glynis

I have maskers that can be adjusted and duel purpose hearing aids with built in masker but the market can not be altered to a lower sound as programed at one sound level...

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RudyL90

RudyL90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety disorder
      I have read Jastreboff's book and know how I should mask. Still: I do not see why it is better to use hearing aids instead of my earbuds. :')

9. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      @RudyL90 I tried both options for my mild T, I tried ear buds with pink noise vs. white noise generators(I have white noise generators alone without hearing aid function). Long term I prefer white noise generators over ear buds firstly becuase generators are more handy (you don't have a cable) they are more descrete and what's the most important they don't block the ear canal so all the external sounds have easy access. Ear buds instead block your ear canal and let less external souinds to reach your ear. The only disadvantage of maskers is that I have no option to choose other noise than white, while as for ear buds you can choose whatever sound you want (pink, purple what you prefer). Still after trying both options for months I use white noise maskers on a daily basis. Hope my insight helps

10. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I have hearing aids, that have a white noise machine in them. I only wear them if i need some sort of soothing relief from tinnitus. My tinnitus is at level 10 in both ears and i rarely wear my hearing aids. The white noise machine in them is pretty sweet. It can help those that need it and need a soothing sound besides the tinnitus.

Seeing a professional is a must, when getting a hearing aid.

Be well.....

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RudyL90

RudyL90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety disorder
      I recently stopped with masking during daytime. My reaction to the tinnitus is almost gone, I can handle it even in silence now.
      Only in bad times (whenever I have more stress, didn't sleep well etc.) I still need my earbuds. :)

12. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      Ear buds are not good for masking, it block outside noise and you hear you Tinnitus more . I try it not working. The hearing Aid masking is the best and just use a sound machine at night or play nature sounds from you I phone at night .