1 Year Later

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Arjen, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Arjen
      Happy

Arjen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6-1-2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Night clubs, Sony Headphones, Loud music.
      So somehow I found my way back to this place. Right now I'm having a cold, which is why my tinnitus is a little spikey today.

So yeah I'm Arjen and I've been having tinnitus since February 2016. Actually my tinnitus hasn't bothered me for months now, mainly because I turned off the emotional response I got from it. I've taught myself to treat my tinnitus the way I treat the clock in my living room. It's there, and it ticks and makes sound. But I've been able to give my tinnitus a purpose. It made me hella strong compared to what I used to be.

Sometimes it's gone, or at least I try to hear it but I can't. Only when I close my ears. And then I kinda want it to come back, as crazy as it sounds. I used to have very severe tinnitus, and this was because it was on my mind 24/7.

Just wanted to share my experience regarding my tinnitus. I hope you guys will learn to live with it the same way I did, and who knows maybe someday some chap will finally figure out how to permanently mute this annoying neighbour in our heads.

• Like Like x 5
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      How long after the onset of tinnitus did you have to wait for this to happen? In other words, when was the first time when that happened?

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Arjen
      Happy

Arjen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6-1-2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Night clubs, Sony Headphones, Loud music.
      This happened a little over year after I first noticed I had it. I read in an article that your brain is very capable of ignoring information that isn't important to you. The idea is that you teach yourself to not give a crap about your tinnitus, and your brain will do the rest.

• Like Like x 5
    4. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      I have to come read these success stories when I am down.

• Like Like x 2
    5. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I hope one day I can be this lucky.

6. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Bobbie7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress, sinus infection
      Hi @Arjen - Thank you for sharing your story with us and great news! Your story serves as encouragement and gives hope to many here that tinnitus can be overcome and a person can go on to lead a productive and fulfilling life. I am happy for you. Here's wishing you good health and much happiness in the future.

Sincerely,
      Barbara

7. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It is wise for all of us to read these "Success Stories" as they really do serve as inspiration that we can triumph over tinnitus.

8. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I see you got T in 2015. Did you notice any improvements since then.

9. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I most certainly did realize improvement. Naturally, in the beginning I was very disturbed by this loud sound as I always relished my quietude when I needed it. Perhaps it is not so much a matter of it lessening but that I am always active and involved in one of my many interests. Of course, it is ever-present but somehow I am no longer bothered by it.. while I do not consciously block it out.. it seems I have become accustomed/habituated to the point I carry on with my life and it dos not rule me! If we constantly listen for it, it can be a terrible distraction and, of course, for those with the most severe tinnitus, it can be a tremendous challenge.

10. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      did it lessen somewhat? I have high pitched sound like the device that a dentist uses for a cavity. I ask myself how can I habituate to that.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    11. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @dpdx - Yes, I do think it lessened somewhat or as I said I must have habituated. There are some members who have high-pitched tinnitus and they are doing very well now. Have you read the personal stories by @glynis @billie48 and @Michael Leigh ? If not, I suggest you do as they are very encouraging.

• Like Like x 2
    12. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @dpdx You are very new to tinnitus and if you're able to try and help yourelf and not to be too negative I believe you can make good progress. If you haven't read my articles: Tinnitus, A Personal View, then I suggest that you do. It is on my "started threads" Also read: Hyperacusis, As I see it. When you are able to start reading the success stories from members on the postivity thread. I have also written positivity posts and you'll find them in on my started threads. Try read them regularly and the success stories from members. This helps to reinforce positive thinking.

Michael

• Like Like x 2
    13. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Bobbie7 According to medical articles, one can not habituate from severe tinnitus. I had provided a link just two days ago. There's sites where one can match the volume with an assign level. When a sufferer like myself has a high pitch level 10, it's called survival not habituation. I have found ways at times to get it lowered to a 9 for short periods and only during those times can I post.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    14. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Greg Sacramento - I can not speak for you, of course, but I have read numerous accounts by those who have extremely severe tinnitus who have gone on, despite their malady, to live productive, happy and fulfilling lives.

15. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Bobbie7 I encourage anybody who believes that those with a level 10 can have a "productive, happy and fulfilling live", to go a sound and level site and listen to a level 10. A level 10 is a siren.

16. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It is true habituating to very severe tinnitus is near on impossible and there's no getting away from that. I feel I'm in a position to make this statement having been told by my Audiovestibular consultant in 2008, that I was the second worst tinnitus patient that she had met in all her years of practicing in ENT. How she arrived at that I don't know but I remember wanting the floor to open so I dive in and all my troubles would be over. I did ask my doctor to be candid with me about my condition and I got it.

It was one of the lowest points of my life. She then said she would never give up on treating me. It took 4 years to habituate for the second time. It wasn't easy. I travelled a long hard road but I'm still here and a much stronger person for it. Unfortunately, I believe some people are too ready to throw the towel in because all of a sudden, they have a problem in their life and they can't handle it. Unless it can be resolved in a couple of weeks they go to pieces.

I'm sorry but that's the cold hard truth. Look at someone like @fishbone a tinnitus veteran of 30 years and has loud intrusive tinnitus and that guy has positivity and a zest for life you wouldn't believe. Then there's my good friend of many years @glynis Not only does she have severe tinnitus but also menier's and a other health conditions and yet, she's still here to give support to people. There are many other members here that have a difficult time with tinnitus and still trying.

I just come from another thread where two members were attacking each other like fishwives ( I mean no disrespect). If they put as much energy into reinforcing positive thinking about tinnitus as they did arguing they would start to feel a lot better instead of wanting to press the exit button and do away with themselves because they can't cope with tinnitus.

Michael

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You are aware as I am that some of our most esteemed members have stated that the sounds of their tinnitus are horribly high and.... yet.. they are managing to get on with their lives. I am by no means implying that the volume of severe tinnitus can be turned off at will but what other choice does one have but to do the very best they can to live and experience joy in life despite their T. Some here also have multiple health issues with which they deal which further complicates their tinnitus but they soldier on.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Bobbie7 Myself with a level 10 and with other health problems cannot "experience joy in life". I may not be an esteemed member here, but I have national awards for community service and have received honors in a previous healthcare profession. With that I will not judge others here, nor should my condition be judged.

19. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Tinnitus comes in many forms and intensities and no two people experience it the same. You are quite right @Greg Sacramento you shouldn't be judged and what I'm about to say please do not take it personally. People that visit this forum regularly and I know who they are. If they really had severe intrusive tinnitus to the point it is debilitating then they would not be able to "post" messages so frequently. So when they are saying: I can't cope I want to press the exit button and want out, I know they are not trying hard enough. Anyone that has loud intrusive tinnitus doesn't even want to turn on their computer.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    20. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Please do not think I am judging you in any way... far from this I can assure you. I respect that you have achieved honors and recognition for services you have performed and I am sorry you have additional health issues; I am merely saying that when we have adversity of any kind we have no other choice than to move forward despite it. I understand very well as I, too, have other issues but we are given life and some lives are fraught with difficulties and yet, if we "steel" ourselves, set goals and have an earnest desire to achieve them, we can surprise ourselves and overcome that which we thought impossible. I am sending my sincere good wishes your way. Take care.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Michael Leigh I agree with the entirely of your message. When I type anything on this board, my tinnitus is at a nine. When it's at a 10, I cannot focus to write a post. Most of the time, I'm at a level 10.

It's still day where I'm at. During the night, I often can't sleep. During most hours of darkness, I can only stare at this board. I'm unable to play a simple game like 5 Roll which I have always enjoyed playing when my baseline was a six from subjective tinnitus years ago.

I now have somatic tinnitus that is getting worse because of other medical conditions. I may have to be medicated into a coma within time according to my neurosurgeon as the level of my tinnitus is understandably unbearable.

22. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am sorry to hear that your tinnitus is so severe. Believe me I know what it's like because I've lived with very severe tinnitus that prevented me from reading a book for 2 years. If you use a computer a lot in your work this could be contributing to making your tinnitus worse. Some people are affected by "near field" computer use. I cannot use a computer in the conventional way. I have to have the base unit in another room and use an external monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse.

If I use a laptop for more than 20mins the next day my tinnitus is very intrusive. It is just a suggestion.
      Michael

23. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Greg Sacramento - I, too, am very sorry to learn that your tinnitus is that severe. I hope, somehow, it will be possible for you to have some relief. Again, my best wishes.

Barbara

24. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      My tinnitus is beyond garbage and my hearing is not all that great either. I am now dating and loving life more than ever and even dancing in my backyard and feeling joy. Folks, there days that i cannot even walk due to my fibromylgia and my ringing in my ears are beyond loud and horrible. My ears will never be cured and my ringing will not go away.

Yet, I feel like a kid again without tinnitus and i don't even care. Understand i have it bad as well, but my mentality is quite different.

But to say that people cannot habituate to loud horrible tinnitus is, just not the truth.... I have and still live my life and love my life.....

• Like Like x 2
    25. Alvise
      Lurking

Alvise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acustic Trauma in childhood with onset after 26 years
      mate sorry if I bother you, but I'd like to know about the "Sony headphone cause of your tinnitus".
      Are you sure about it? I had also used for few days Sony headphone before get my T

26. pathworker2017
      No Mood

pathworker2017 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 approx
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      currently unknown, conductive hearing loss suspected
      Some success on my journey through T.

first a a bit of background.
      2012 or thereabouts, T started to manifest, at the time it was mild and bilateral( affected both ears). for a few years from there it was not a major issue, I could get a relatively good nights sleep concentration was not adversely affected.

Last year ( or thereabouts) My T decided it wanted to wreak havoc with my sleep pattern by becoming more severe and becoming unilateral right ear T( I know hearing loss in the right ear was a potential contributing factor since an incident highlighted the situation beautifully).
      I Was traveling with family members to Giants causeway by car, My sister, who was driving asked me something, I had to ask her to repeat her question a number of times before I could comprehend what was being said., so I cogitated over the problem for a while. ultimately made an appointment with the GP. laid my cards on the deck as it where and got a referral to an an audiologist, I duly attended, and was advised that yes there is suspected conductive loss in the right ear and am now awaiting a slot with and ENT surgeon.

Not content to sit on my laurels I started researching methods of reducing the impact T was having on my life. two things stood out as workable solutions.

Mindfulness meditation is showing very promising results in that I am getting better sleep at night( I still have to realign my sleep pattern though).

during the day, I only use masking if T is particularly bothersome.
      Just by chance recently it looks like I found the perfect masking sound for my specific case, MY MICROWAVE MASKS THE T BRILLIANTLY!!
      Now of course I cannot have the Microwave running for an hour or whatever so, next time I use it I'm gong to have to mike it up, record a burst and loop the sound so I have a continuous sound to playback when I need it.

Getting to grips with T is a gradual process but perseverance pays dividends.

27. Neilpk

Neilpk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      I have had tinnitus for around two years.

My first year was absolutely terrible. I didn’t think I was going to make it. I went through some really terrible dark times. I tried anti depressants, Xanax (which was surprisingly effective lol) but now I don’t take anything.

I am now in the position where i can say it does not effect my daily life at all. I am completely astounded how the brain can “work around it”. Compared to where I used to be and where I am now, it’s night and day.

• Like Like x 1
    28. sanj100

sanj100 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey.

I'm really really glad to hear that.

Please explain more by what you mean about your "brain working around it"?

Did you do anything specific to make this happen?

Thanks.

29. Neilpk

Neilpk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      I think over time, you just stop noticing it. There is nothing conscious about it. What I mean by that is that I eventually started to forget about it naturally. I know it’s there but I don’t hear it if you know what I mean. The brain just adapts to your new circumstances.

Do you know what really helps; acceptance. Accepting it. Accepting we are human and things are never going to be perfect. Things happen to us and we have to accept them. It becomes less important until it’s just not there.

I also found out that there were many people I knew who have it. People I never even considered them having it. I found feeling that I was not alone and others were experiencing similar symptoms helped a lot. I also saw an audiologist after about a year who was great. He explained how tinnitus works, the pschological side. It also helped that he suffers from it so was able to complete relate. He explained how it’s mostly related to your perception of it. The whole anxiety cycle and how this effects you and how it makes the whole thing feel hopeless. Believe me I have been in some very very dark times. I couldn’t eat. I couldn’t think. I was on high alert all day every day. I kept on thinking about it over and over again. It was terrible. It’s a relentless vicious cycle.

You will get better. Believe me. It may not seem like it now. But it will. Takes time and patience and getting over the hump of it and stopping catastrophizing over it.

• Like Like x 2
    30. sanj100

sanj100 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Wow.

That was so incredibly helpful. Thank you ever so much.

I have mild/moderate tinnitus that is annoying and not debilitating.

The big issue with me is that I have had anxiety and OCD for far longer than I have had tinnitus and have always been hyper attune/had anxiety related to certain sounds (couldn't sleep in a room with road traffic noise from outside even though my siblings and friends easily could).

I do strongly believe it is my OCD (constantly monitoring of tinnitus) and my anxiety that is keeping my tinnitus afloat and distressing.

I read from your previous posts that you also have some OCD/anxiety symptoms predating your tinnitus and you managed to completely overcome your tinnitus regardless, which fills me with a lot of hope.

I do believe that even for people that haven't had OCD/anxiety before tinnitus, that their tinnitus issues have a very strong psychological component. This is why anti anxiety and anti depressant meds work so well for so many people and reduce tinnitus volume and associated distress in so many cases. Which proves a lot of it is psychological.

Thank you ever so much again for sharing the above, it has been a great great help.

• Like Like x 1