A New Potential Drug to Prevent Cisplatin- or Noise-Induced Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Goh Siew Poh, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Goh Siew Poh

Goh Siew Poh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      • Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      Fingers crossed, it fails!

• Like Like x 1
    3. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Why

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    4. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      If this works I am gonna be devastated.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      • Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    6. grate_biff
      In pain

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Prevent tinnitus from happening, and let the rest of us die out?
      Is that the plan?

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    7. Kratos
      Dreaming

Kratos Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Stress
      Nobody will take it. Maybe some people in the military (if they are compelled to).

Most people don't give a damn about their hearing, unless they have real problems with it.

I have lectured coworkers on how important is to protect your hearing from noise, and tell them that a I have noises in my head 24/7 due to noise exposition from my past job, etc... and 10 mins after my preaching I have seen them using an angle grinder to cut metal without any hearing protection! PEOPLE DON'T GIVE A FUCK!!

• Agree Agree x 20
    8. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      We are doomed if this drugs works, we’ll definitely be forgotten now.

• Agree Agree x 4
    9. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      That is not true, because if this even works at all,it will be many years before it hits the market. I don’t think you realize how much of the world population has tinnitus not to some degree. It is estimated to be around 10% and it continues to rise (very rapidly). All these people will still need help.

Also, the article says that it has to be taken before the damage occurs. People don’t care enough to take a (potentially very expensive) medicine to potentially avert hearing loss, which might or might not give them tinnitus. You are giving way too much credit and potential foresight to people.

• Agree Agree x 3
    10. Benoves

Benoves Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      26-9-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknow possibly noise trauma
      Would be great If it Can prevent tinnitus from becoming worse. So that I Could work and enjoy loud things whitout worrying.

• Agree Agree x 9
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    11. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Good point! If it had that preventitive effect then I would welcome it with open arms.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Nah still a step in the right direction - if one of my family had to take cancer drugs and there was a big chance of them developing tinnitus and hearing loss then I would welcome it with open arms... but I get what you are saying. Even then though the market would still be huge and likewise hearing loss and t isn't always preventable through noise. People are ignorant regarding tinnitus until they actually get it chronically...and nobody is gonna take pills before going to a night club.

• Agree Agree x 2
    13. swc5150

swc5150 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2012
      The article states "when delivered locally", which likely means a needle in the ear. I highly doubt people will go get shot in the ear before heading to a concert.

As mentioned, the market for those who already have hearing loss is too huge to ignore. This med will stop nothing.

• Agree Agree x 4
    14. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      This. If it can prevent people from getting tinnitus maybe it will keep it from getting worse. It really would be useful then.

• Agree Agree x 5
    15. grate_biff
      In pain

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It´s been known to happen. :rockingbanana:

• Funny Funny x 5
      • Winner Winner x 1
    16. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      @jer where did you get that, 10 percent of the world population have T . I been looking to meet someone with T still yet to find a person I know . Knows few people with cancer .

17. Andrei90
      Depressed

Andrei90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to loud music (earphones)
      It’s because they don’t understand the effects until they happen. This of course doesn’t mean they can’t learn. Look at what happened with smoking and other harmful habits. We were bombarded with ads left and right, even taught in health class about the harmful effects of smoking and drinking. I remember them showing us a smokers lung and it was disgusting beyond words. However, not a single second was dedicated to hearing loss even though EVERYBODY carries an audio device with earphones.

All I heard was, “Don’t listen to loud sounds.” Okay. What is loud? I may have learned to avoid loud machinery in the shop but I’ll go on listening to my earbuds, destroying my ears because I had the volume up 3 notches above safe levels. It is too damn easy to cause damage as evident from the growing number of cases. Even the little amount of literature that is throw our way is piss poor in terms of quality. I kept reading about a pure tone sound like EEEE. I never read about a static hiss that builds slowly over time. I was never warned that the sound can be easily ignored because of how subtle it is.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    18. Apolonia
      Disappointed

Apolonia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, acoustic trauma
      It is funny how I was actually mostly avoiding going to very loud concerts but was never aware of the fact that I was destroying my ears from the music on earphones.... And I would listen to it a lot bc my work mostly consists of writing and music was kind of motivating me and helping me concentrate..... But, I think the damage I am experiencing and others could be reparable and that the cure could be found for this.... It is kind of hard for me to believe that hearing can deteriorate this quickly at my age.... I really believe there has to be some kind of medical solution.... It is really sad to lose hearing at a very young age :/

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    19. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
    20. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Not sure if this article is worth its own thread, so I didn't really know where to post it:

Exploring the Experiences of Cancer Patients With Chemotherapy-Induced Ototoxicity: Qualitative Study Using Online Health Care Forums

Conclusions: There was a significant number of reports expressing concerns about the lack of information on the risk of ototoxicity. More support for those suffering is needed; for example, improved interdepartmental communication between oncology and audiology services could optimize patient care. Patients should also be encouraged to communicate with their health care professionals about their ototoxicity and relay how their QoL is impacted by ototoxicity when accessing support. Tinnitus was the most common concern and was associated with distress. Hearing loss was less common; however, it was associated with fear and employment issues. Those who reported preexisting conditions were fearful about worsening their condition as their QoL was already impacted.

• "Many members believed tinnitus would be temporary and expressed shock when it became permanent."
      • "Better than dead? At this point, I'm wondering. I cannot work with this condition because my job requires proper hearing. Hearing loss and this constant tinnitus is life-changing, far more than having cancer is. This has me worried more than living with cancer. I'm wondering if I'll ever have another day where I can hear clearly and be a productive member of society."
      • "I'm three years post chemo and now have tinnitus in my left ear which is getting worse. I don't recall being told chemo could damage ear and it drives me mad. Will it ever go? Sound sets it off so if I sit in silence its okay but it's affecting my relationship now. I don’t know what to do."

• Informative Informative x 2
    21. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      • Informative Informative x 1
    22. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      An up to date article.

Current Strategies to Combat Cisplatin-Induced Ototoxicity

Cisplatin is widely used for the treatment of a number of solid malignant tumors. However, ototoxicity induced by cisplatin is an obstacle to effective treatment of tumors. The basis for this toxicity has not been fully elucidated. It is generally accepted that hearing loss is due to excessive production of reactive oxygen species by cells of the cochlea. In addition, recent data suggest that inflammation may trigger inner ear cell death through endoplasmic reticulum stress, autophagy, and necroptosis, which induce apoptosis. Strategies have been extensively explored by which to prevent, alleviate, and treat cisplatin-induced ototoxicity, which minimize interference with antitumor activity. Of these strategies, none have been approved by the Federal Drug Administration, although several preclinical studies have been promising. This review highlights recent strategies that reduce cisplatin-induced ototoxicity. The focus of this review is to identify candidate agents as novel molecular targets, drug administration routes, delivery systems, and dosage schedules. Animal models of cisplatin ototoxicity are described that have been used to evaluate drug efficacy and side effect prevention. Finally, clinical reports of otoprotection in patients treated with cisplatin are highlighted. For the future, high-quality studies are required to provide reliable data regarding the safety and effectiveness of pharmacological interventions that reduce cisplatin-induced ototoxicity.

Full article: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fphar.2020.00999/full#T1