A Question to All Bodybuilders and Lifters (Hearing Protection, Occlusion Effect, Blood Pressure...)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jiri, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Hey guys,

I took a break in lifting for 2 months now. I am a full natty bodybuilder who is in his 2nd month of tinnitus.

Now that I have tinnitus I am a little worried going back to the gym which is something after 16 years of lifting I don't want to give up.

Obviously, there is oftentimes loud music playing (or at least a radio), plates clanking, gym buddies dropping heavy dumbbells on the floor and the list goes on.

Do you prefer wearing safety earmuffs, or earplugs? The things is, with earmuffs I'm worried of knocking into things (loud clunky sounds), and with earplugs when you're pushing what about the occlusion effect??

Any tips, tricks or pointers will be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Jiri

P.S.: With your blood pressure going up and your heart rate being fast, do you get tinnit. spikes post workouts?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    2. newbieT

newbieT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have these. They are 25dB earmuffs but also has speakers so u can listen to music. The sound quality isnt very good but it does the job

Howard Leight 1030110 Sync Noise-Blocking Stereo Earmuff (Black)

3. orbiter12

orbiter12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      I train 6 times a week with peltor x4a ear defenders. Recently moved to a new gym and they play the music a lot louder (80db on phone) but with the ear defenders on I haven't had any spikes. I don't like earplugs because the pressure in my head when deadlifting and squatting feels horrible and they were giving me ear pain. I've banged things into the ear defenders multiple times with no change in tinnitus so I wouldn't worry.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Exactly what I was thinking, thanks for the info! And no spikes related to blood pressure being high or fast heart rate I presume?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      No more bb to share their experience?

6. AZeurotuner

AZeurotuner Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I'll chime in... As far as earplugs are concerned, I never use them, occlusion effect coupled with the fact that the pressure can be pretty uncomfortable when you're pushing heavy ass weight makes them a no go. I use Walker EXT ear muffs (I've tried A LOT of different brands, some of which were recommended here, these things are legit), only once have I bumped them (50lb dumbbell hammer curls), it was very loud but luckily it didn't cause any damage. As far as T spiking during and after a workout, yes, it always does for me, usually dying down an hour or two after I finish.

-Ross

7. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      Seems i’m the only one who uses filtered earplugs and they work just fine for me. I do have the luxury to have a gym at the office building where i work and i can take my break at quiet times.
      Never had any pressure issues, but then again i stopped doing heavy ass deadlifts and squats after some injuries. I concentrate much more on form nowadays.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Yea, they look legit and a bit massive too. Are you not knocking into things with them? I'll be getting the Peltor Bulls Eye Ear Defenders for every day wear and then I like the look of these, so I might get them as well. Just a thought the higher the NRR the more you can hear your own tinnitus, right?

The thing with me is I had a c. spine injury from a bad Judo fall so I don't wanna rush things. I heard the ringing right after the class. It wasn't that bad. Then the acoustic trauma followed and it got bad.. Anyway, as of now I'm trying home full body workouts and just trying to slowly ease into things again.
      Oh cr*p. That's what I was worried about.

Yep. Whenever I'll be able to I'll be going early mornings when there's hardly anybody in the gym. You're lucky. No t. spikes after workouts?

9. AZeurotuner

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      No issues bumping into things except for the dumbbell incident I mentioned (freak accident really). And I might just be crazy, but I don't mind the intensified Tinnitus effect that hearing protection gives you one bit, it honestly bothers me less than T does without muffs/plugs on. As far as spiking is concerned, hour or so and it's usually fine, exercise spikes don't worry or annoy me because I know it's only temporary.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Ok, thanks. That's at least some good news.

11. AZeurotuner

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You'll be ok my brother, get yourself back into the swing of things and reap the sweets rewards of exercise... Fitness and nutrition keep me grounded, helps me in so many ways.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Thanks, bro I'd love to hit the gym full force just a lil worried if my c. spine would handle it. This month it's a home full body workout next month split, then I'll throw some nutrition in.. one baby step at a time.

13. AZeurotuner

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yeah definitely take it easy for a while... I've been there, tore my rotator cuff awhile back (helping a friend load his truck at home depot of all things), was out for a while, after rehab I eased myself back in with super light weights and worked my way up from there. Injures really suck, but I'm sure you'll be back to your old self soon enough.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      I'm sorry to hear about your rotator cuff injury. Very common among gym people. I'm 3 months in with tinnitus and it's totally debilitating. I don't think I'll ever be back to my old self tbh.

15. AZeurotuner

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It's definitely not an easy condition to live with, I feel your pain, fortunately there's a wealth of new treatments being developed and trialed as we speak. I truly believe that at least one of them with provide us with some genuine relief, unfortunately though it's gonna take some time.

• Funny Funny x 1
    16. Hab
      Curious

Hab Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Go to the gym and don't give it much attention, just ask the staff to lower the music a little. Plates clanking and people dropping heavy weights will not affect you as long as your not at ground zero if you know what I mean. Try to get to the gym at off peak hours to avoid all the chaos. I've been training for over 30 years, tinnitus last 4 and no change from gym. I pop an Acetyl L Carnetine, a Taurine and some Magnesium and off to the gym, they do give protection incase I get in to a noisy situation.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Yes, years. If they successfully make it through all the phases of clinical research. I'm not gonna lie when the t. spikes I have the darkest of thoughts. I used to go to the gym to enjoy myself, get swole and release some happy hormones.
      That's a sound advice. Thanks. That's also the plan. I'll be going early mornings whenever I can when there's hardly anybody in there.

18. AZeurotuner

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      There's another way to enjoy yourself, get swole, and release some happy hormones ;)... Don't forget about that one.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      True dat. Right now my T is spiking tho.. so you can imagine my mood. It's like you don't really know what you have until it's gone.

20. AZeurotuner

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      For spikes I highly recommend magnesium glycinate (Metagenics), NAC (Life Extension), Vinpocetine (Source Naturals), and taurine (Bulk Supplements)... Helped me through some bad ones. Hope you feel better brother.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      You mean to take it all at the same time? Like a cocktail? Or I just choose one and use it cuz I actually have some magnesium here with me?

22. AZeurotuner

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      For spikes...
      Magnesium glycinate-200mg morning, 200mg bedtime.
      NAC-600mg morning, 600mg bedtime.
      Vinpocetine-10mg every 3 hours (5-60mg daily)
      Taurine- 5g morning, mid day, and bedtime (15g total).

When I'm not spiking I take 200mg of mag (100mg morning, 100mg bedtime), same amount of taurine (5g morning, 5g mid day, 5g bedtime). I don't take NAC or Vinpocetine unless I need to. Keep in mind that magnesium glycinate is an extremely bioavailability form of magnesium due to it being chelated and bonded with the amino acid glycine, it's much more potent per milligram than the most common form (mag oxide), as well as being much gentler on the stomach.

23. bodhisattva

bodhisattva Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Looks like i'm going on 3 years now with T. I remember when i first got it, i'd wear ear plugs even to the movies. Gone Girl had just come out, the soundtrack is really good and they had it cranked. I was so paranoid.

Best advice a gal on this board gave me, is just go live your life. If you like to drink, go get drunk, if you like to work out, go work out. Easy for me to say now. When i was new to it, it was all i could hear. I could hear it over the television. I had this SimplyNoise app that i kept on all the time, and had to have it on to sleep. I'd even carry it into the bathroom with me in the middle of the night. I swear there were two nights i was planning how i was going to take myself out.

But i promise you one of these days, it will be just like a bum knee or a pulled muscle or whatever chronic ache you lifters get. And you'll be like , "yeah it sucks, but whatever."

I've gotten out and done a lot of stuff since it started; flown to Greece (like 10 hours cabin pressure), shot an AR-15 (double protection, always!), saw Slayer twice, once in the front row. Just always keep your foamies or plugs with you. The only times it really starts to tweak my nerves is if i don't realize i'm getting sick and the sinus/ear pressure makes it worse. I freak out thinking my guitar playing has made it worse. But once i realize it's just ear pressure and it will go back to 'normal' i calm down.

Anyway, i don't lift weights much, but i do bulgarian bag, hot yoga and used to do muay thai kickboxing so i know how important workouts are for those of us that rely on those for a mental boost. So i'd keep hitting the gym. And for me, ear plugs make it sound worse unless it's covering up something really loud like a concert. But i'd say do whatever it takes to keep yourself sane during this period of time. Plugs, muffs, whatever. It will get easier.

Just my experience. Good luck.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Thanks a lot. Really. I'll give it a shot as soon as I stop taking Pregabalin, Betahistine, Clonazepam, Brintellix and Rivotril. I'm now like a walking chemical plant. Then it should also be easier with the workouts too.

Same here. Ended up in an emergency psychiatry as a result for 2 weeks. Anyway, I like your attitude to living your life to the fullest. I'm not sure if I'm ever gonna be able of the same at this stage. I'm scared even when I hear a dog bark.

Guys, you seem to be a lot more knowledgeable about the topic of tinnitus. Just give me the hard truth, does it get better over time or doesn't? And I don't mean habituating, I mean actually fading away.

25. AZeurotuner

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Mine has gotten worse, but my hearing damage is pretty severe (my high frequency is gone), I can't just "live my life" the way I did before T, I tried that for a year and it didn't end well. It really depends on your level of damage, if you're like me then for the love of god stay away concerts, loud motorcycles, nightclubs, firearms, etc. However some are able to resume activities like that provided they wear hearing protection, depends on the person really.

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      I'm so sorry to hear that. Honestly. Can I ask what happened to you, bro? Sounds like you were close to an explosion or smth that you also lost your hearing. I can pretty much scracth nightclubs off my list, but I do like student bars (student prices) friends, laughs and all that... and last year I passed my big bike license. Wanted a CBR 600 RR. I guess that's a history now too. Hopefully, I'll be able to at least get my gainz back.

27. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      For the gym I wear the Peltor x5a these are the only muffs I know that will not make much sound when bumped as they are large and made of a rubbery surface / plus they provide the best noise attenuation while being very comfortable

The only drawbacks is their size and the somehow weird look resulting - so not for fashion conscious people but again for a gym , vacuuming, commuting and general use those are the best muffs by far and I bought pretty much all the type of muffs before

I was an avid bike rider for years on a Honda 1300 cc never thought it was noisy - my t is mostly from firearms noise and 30 years of going to loud clubs and bars

28. AZeurotuner

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Nightclubs, supermotos, shooting, tracking a gutted, straight piped car, loud music... The epitome of "wtf did I do to myself". My low frequency is fine, I don't need hearing aids, but highs are gone, one day my ears just gave out. The good news is that you can still ride, the Schuberth C3 helmet is rated 82db @ 60mph, combine that with a set of custom molded ear plugs and you'd be straight, just keep the stock pipe on the cbr and you're golden.

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Yes, I remember you mentioned they're made of a different shell, so no clunky sounds. As you also correctly mentioned the size... yeah they're a little too big. I can imagine all the funny looks I'd be getting. Another thing, I know they have -37 dB NRR, your own tinnitus must sound pretty loud while you're wearing them? Btw, that's a really nice looking Honda. I'd actually consider getting that instead of the crotch rocket.
      Yeah, that sounds like a lot of cumulative damage over time. Mine was 1. Judo - bad fall, c. spine injury (could hear a slight ringing right after) 2. A loud club and a chick shouting smth into my ear (proly her name) 3. Cinema 2 hr long action movie 4. A date in another loud bar. A week later the pain and suffering began. As for the bike yeah, I wanted either the Toce, or Hyperflow Exhaust System. I loved the sound of it. Thanks for the tip for the helmet btw.

30. AZeurotuner

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Aftermarket pipes sound so damn good on super sports, pure race... I guess maybe try it out, if it feels too loud (you'll know) throw the stock muffler back on. You can definitely still ride though, don't let T take away your passion, just be smart about it.