A Question to All Bodybuilders and Lifters (Hearing Protection, Occlusion Effect, Blood Pressure...)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jiri, Jan 2, 2018.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Then we're in the same boat which means I'm f*cked for life...

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If you are talking about what Berik said, then that is just one person's experience. And of course there are many people on this forum who had an experience that is similar to Berik's experience. We are talking about Probabilities. It is certainly not the case that everyone recovers or that nobody recovers. Those studies, as well as my conversations with other users on this forum indicate that the probability of recovery for someone who has had T for two months is still very reasonable.

3. AZeurotuner

AZeurotuner Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      No
      5-10 years... Just avoid really loud noise until then, it's not that horrible to not be able to blast music and not go to the movie theater or club. My H has been getting better slowly too, noises that used to bother me don't anymore. I also just ordered a konftec 660nm and 808nm laser, which I'm hoping will help my H and possibly get a bit of my high frequency back (one member gained 10dbs in a year iirc).

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      No, I'm talking about what @AZeurotuner said.
      So that's already 2 people's experiences. He also said that his symptoms are similar to mine
      Sounds like private Hudson's quote is in place: "game over, man. game over". f* it.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      What do you mean 5 - 10 years? And you can trust me I am literally trying my hardest to avoid loud noise

6. AZeurotuner

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I've had my T for a while though, it's not 100% that's yours won't be better. What I'm saying is that even if it doesn't, you're not "f**ked". It's not game over... Dana White (president of the UFC) has pretty bad Tinnitus, yet manages to lead an extremely productive life, it's not a death sentence.

5-10 years before a cure hits the market.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      I am well aware that he's got tinnitus. Also he had a surgery to get rid of it or reduce the volume of it. I don't think it was successful tho. Btw it's a lot easier to be a billionaire and have tinnitus.
      For someone who's mentally unstable it very well could be.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-hyperacusis-and-a-psychiatric-hospital.25693/
      How can you be so sure? It could very well be in 20 years if ever. Anyway by that time we'll be already in our 40's a tad too old for clubbing or student bars.

8. AZeurotuner

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      He had a stem cell treatment for meniere's disease... Cured the disease but he still has tinnitus.

I think most of us on T talk have been through some dark times. It comes down to whether or not you want to let T win... Do you want to give up or do you want to fight? I'm fighting right now, I'll be damned if I'm gonna let T ruin me.

Clubbing isn't what determines whether we're happy or not. You can still have a rewarding social life without partying, there's a million things you can do that don't involve obnoxiously loud music.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Again, how can you be so sure? Do you know of anything in particular that's gonna hit the market in that time frame?

10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      There are plenty of studies in that Stats thread where the subjects got their T as a result of being exposed to gunshots and explosions.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Yes, that's true. However, living in a loud city, listening to music, and attending occasionally student bars (not nightclubs, but they can still be pretty loud) could lead imo to a long term exposure damage from a high noise.

Not the same thing as a one time gunshot induced tinnitus and thus higher chances of recovery. Although I must add that I'm no expert and it is just my opinion. Explosions on the other hand... yes, that might be a differet story.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. AZeurotuner

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You can't be... But you have to realize that for decades doctors and scientists were targeting the wrong part of body, they finally realized that the tinnitus wasn't in the ear but in the brain. There's a plethora of different research trials going on right now, it's just hard to think that it's gonna be another twenty years before something is found. Tinnitus effects such a large amount of the population that it's in these companies best interests financially to push something out as soon as possible, hearing loss and tinnitus are a multi billion industry.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Look here bro, so are HIV and AIDS. Doctors know exactly what's causing it and the whole process of the disease. The virus was identified when? In 1980's. Is there a cure yet? No. With brain the problem is that you can't simply target one specific area of the brain with a drug without affecting all of the other parts. So even if they do come up with something that could possibly cure tinnitus, it might also cause you seizures or Parkinson's as a side effect.

So you are correct. You can't be. We might well be in our 50's before they come up with smth. Then it's 10 - 15 years before retirement and then it's a funeral. Brilliant prospects.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. AZeurotuner

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Look, I'm not gonna sit here and argue with you over whether or not Tinnitus is going to be cured in the near future. You are obviously a "glass half full" kind of person, and nothing I can say will change that apparently. So continue telling yourself that your life is over, that Tinnitus won't be cured until you're a senior citizen, and that you would rather commit suicide than have your tinnitus get worse. Let's all just stay home, avoid going out in public, and throw pity parties every day, because that will definitely help us feel better.

Boo hoo we have ringing in our ears, so freaking what, there's much worse conditions that people still manage to deal with without feeling sorry for themselves all the time. This constant negatively is ridiculous... I have three chronic conditions that cause me pain, (tinnitus, ulcerative colitis, and three slipped discs in my back), and have been through some SHIT in my life (childhood sexual abuse to name just one), yet I remain optimistic, life isn't always fair, but giving up just isn't an option, I refuse to sit around all day feeling sorry for myself.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Yeah, you look here. You know absolute 0 about me. So stop jumping so quickly into conclusions (I'd only say about someone "a glass half full" after I've known them for awhile). I have some other bad health problems too that I'm not moaning about jfyi. Tinnitus is very new for me and I only read horror stories about it and yours one with it getting worse over time didn't help me much either. My life is kinda on hold now and turned upside down, had to take a break in my studies because I simply can't concentrate anymore. Then you hear about spikes, about permanent spikes and all that shit... how is one supposed to be optimistic?? Of course, you don't have to sit here all day and "argue" with me. You can do very well whatever you so desire, no one is stopping you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Why don't you start following the research threads before making these outrageous suppositions. https://www.tinnitustalk.com/forums/research-news.4/

19. AZeurotuner

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      "how is one supposed to be optimistic?"

All you talk about is how your life is over, that a cure is far away or impossible, etc... You feed your fear, your paranoia, your cynicism, by focusing most of your time here on horror stories. There are a few members on here that spend the majority of their time on T talk fear mongering and convincing new sufferers that their lives are over, and they're damn good at it. I would instead focus on stories of members that have triumphed over tinnitus and led happy, productive lives in spite of it, there's plenty of success stories on here too. Get out and socialize more, I sometimes completely forget about my T when I'm family, friends, and lovers... but that NEVER happens if I'm at home worrying about it, all that does is make it worse. Most spikes aren't even true increases in your T, they're a result of anxiety and stress, bring that down and your T will be much better. Yes my T has gotten worse, but it's definitely not debilitating, I'm ok with it most of the time.

20. Screamin Ears
      Crappy

Screamin Ears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unfortunately that was being said 10 years ago, i hope to f*ck that they're right this time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      I do follow it and so what? Again, I read real stories of real people and a great deal of them have petrifying things to say about tinnitus. That's a fact. The only positive I see in the Research News is the New Uni of Michigan Tinnitus discovery. But then again, it hasn't yet successfully completed all the phases of clinical research. There are still question marks up in the air. Even if they are succesfull with it it's gonna take years again before it reaches the patient.

Then you have OTO-313 and that's what? Phase 1? 5 - 10 years minimum IF they are successfull with it.
      The one and only thing that could work imo based on patients commentary is this: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/retigabine-trobalt-potiga-—-general-discussion.5074/

Then MAY BE in the future this RL-81, but that's again YEARS (5 being very optimistics if all goes well again) from now. So I think I'm being more realistic here then making just 'outrageous suppositions'

Don't get me wrong I wish everybody well, but this tinnitus thing mixed with a bad H is just making me ramble here inanely like a nervous teenager.

• Agree Agree x 2
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      I did try that. Most of the time some sort of an ear infection that caused the T were eventually the winners - very few regarding noise-induced tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. AZeurotuner

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Not talking about people who's tinnitus went away... I'm talking about people who didn't let it take over their lives. Michael Leigh and Ed209 are good examples of this, both noise induced with severe H. I've been slowly working my H, it has gotten better, although it's definitely a process.

24. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Most people do these things and most of them end up being fine.
      The way I see it, life Begins after retirement. Whatever it is that's before retirement - that's not life.

25. Flamingo1

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      The work being done in the area of hair cell regeneration by companies such as Frequency Therapeutics and Decibel is very promising IMO. Reading those threads everyday has kept my spirits up regarding my T. That and purposely NOT actively listening for it. I bought a HoMedics sound machine which I absolutely love and play it at night. I had H too for the first few months and no longer have it. I am 9 months in. The key there is to not overly protect your ears. My noise induced T has faded somewhat since the initial onset though it has not completely disappeared. I no longer go to clubs or listen to live music which I admit I'm not happy about. Like you, I am afraid going to those places will make my T permanently worse and is not worth the risk. I still go to movies though with a good set of custom musician's ear plugs which I highly recommend if you don't have them already. Also, seeking professional help with a tinnitus expert calmed my nerves down tremendously and taught me how to think about my situation in a realistic, not overly negative way. You may be able to get an over-the- phone consultation with the Hearing Doctor in Los Angeles if you're not local. I understand your fear, I really do. But your fear is working to amplify the negative. I was devastated, suicidal and scared when I first realized I had this thing called tinnitus (I never even knew what it was!) Having it has taught me to take much better care of my ears and to be thankful that it's not any worse than it is.

• Like Like x 1
    26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      You are afraid to go to bars but not going to movies?? You know in movies they have this 6 channel Dolby Digital surround sound system. That will resonate right through you skull no matter what ear protection you're wearing.

It's a good thing you haven't experienced any T spikes from that or worsening of your T. Still, bars are a lot quiter imo (at least some bars).

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
      • Agree Agree x 2
    27. Flamingo1

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I'm a girl. I don't do action movies. Lol.
      I did want to see Dunkirk but I read on this forum that it was ridiculously loud so I didn't go. I mostly watch artsy and drama types. Yesterday I went to see Molly's Game which was terrific.

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      You're lucky in that respect. My last and final mistake was going to see Thor: Ragnarok. I got some good quality foam earplugs and thought I'd be safe. Bad bad mistake. Little did I know. About a week later my suffering began.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    29. Flamingo1

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Do you use a sound meter when you go to those movies? Anything over 80 dB, I get the h3ll out, even with plugs. Going to run down theaters with poor sound quality also helps :)

In general, I think that hearing regeneration is on the horizon. A lot of good work has already been done by dedicated scientists. It's just a matter of preserving what we have for now. You're smart to have stopped going to those movies, especially since you're condition is fairly new. It's good to give your ears a rest and a chance to heal.

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      No, I only got a sound meter last week. Had I known smth like tinnitus existed I'd have never gone to movies in the first place.
      I think all this kind of a research at this pace and all the regulations is geared more towards the next generation. My kids that I don't have yet will start growing bears before the cure comes out.
      Lol yeah, tell me about it. Someone just slammed the door a moment ago. I'm awaiting a spike now.

• Hug Hug x 1