A Question to All Bodybuilders and Lifters (Hearing Protection, Occlusion Effect, Blood Pressure...)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jiri, Jan 2, 2018.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      That's easy to say. I'm third month in and I already feel like my life is over. We're talking bikes here when we have this bitch called tinnitus.

2. AZeurotuner

AZeurotuner Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      With custom plugs and the Schuberth C3 you're looking at around 70 decibels, that's 100% doable... Definitely out of the danger zone. Seriously just buy the bike and have fun brother.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      When you put this way it does sound like smth doable, with my luck tho I'd proly sneeze, yanked the throttle full open and ended up like a vegetable in a wheel chair with much worse tinnitus.

4. AZeurotuner

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      That would be the ultimate bad luck.. Vegetative state with tinnitus, shit that would suck. You don't have to get a super sport though, there's plenty of other bikes on the market that don't have "sneeze throttle vegetable" capability, lol.

5. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Actually the T inside the x5a isn't that bad compared to ear plugs

Since my highs are gone and the T sounds like crickets or a very high pitched wind anything that exacerbates high frequncy hearing loss makes T very loud

The X5a are excellent at cutting bass so those cut sound in a more natural way unlike plugs or some muffs that only chop the highs

No muffs does 37NRR btw in the US scale the x5a are rated 31 Db

Try those really worth it and fuck the look really

I set my priorities already a long time ago

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Lol I feel I must be a little crazy discussing bikes and loud pipes on a tinnitus forum.

@AZeurotuner True. I always liked Honda's for their built quality and reliability. Yeah, it doesn't necessarily have to be a superbike. I like the Bobby B's Honda 1300 cc, the 2005 model looks nice. Here's the thing tho, I said to myself that these next 6 months - 1 year I'm gonna live in a bubble and give my ears as much rest as possible. Mebie next yr.

My life is kinda on hold now. Just wanna figure out the gym.

So you're saying they would be a good pick if one decided to go to a nightclub? I always thought the problem with clubs is the low bass boosted. And you were right it's 31 NRR but 37 SNR. I thought the latter is just the European version of measuring the noise reduction. Now I'm confused. Anyway, I'm going with the Peltor Bulls Eye 1 for the every day wear 27 NRR should be sufficient enough.

7. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      night club wearing peltors x5a ..haha only when you are really very drunk perhaps..
      nah I would not wear muffs in a night club ..use good foam plugs deeply inserted and stay away from the loud spots and take breaks that will work fine

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      I think I'm staying away from the nightclubs for the rest of my life. Like someone else mentioned, it's like with birth control, one f* up and your t could be twice as bad.

9. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I found a few nightclubs that have some open area or a separate quieter lounge and stick to it - with plugs you cannot screw you ears unlike being inside the dance floor

10. Berik

Berik Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Always wearing my earplugs (28db reduction) with me, when going anywhere.

With regards to sports; used to be fanatic kickboxer/MMA, but currently do it much less intensive with a friend of mine (also recovering from a burnout), with the advantage we got the gym to ourselves and we don't play music. Used to be able to go deep, but nowadays it causes my T to go through the roof. Team Burnout :).

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Let's keep it real for a second now. Why do guys even go to nightclubs? To chat up girls and either stay at the side of the bar and just stare or hit the dance floor. Then there's the element of alcohol included that makes you not worry about things (hence the pointles ego tripping fights and so on). I personally used to go from time to time to my favourite club because I love house music and a few times I got lucky if you know what I mean. Also see girls swinging their butts.. you get the idea. That is why guys go to clubs. Not to talk about things. You have bars for that. That's the reality.

So sitting somewhere outside in an open area with earplugs in that make all the sounds distorted and watching people getting trashed... I don't know. Also, I can't remember who explained it on here but it's not the high frequency sounds that are dangerous in clubs, it's the low bass drop that resonates through your skull.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      I hear you, brother. At least you can train now and keep fit. I used to do Jiu before I decided to step on the Judo mat and get injured. In Jiu you get hurt bec of your ego and in Judo bec of gravity. Let me ask you a question, I see you like to exercise a lot. Has your tinnitus got any better over the time?

13. Berik

Berik Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      No, nothing better. Remained the same. Though I feel better about it, with ups and downs.

Must mention; little brother is more into body building and does it daily. Has tinnitus as well (for him it settled a bit over the past three years), but he is able to exercise with it quite ok, but also, he uses molded earplugs for to music/equipment sounds. Guess it takes time.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Damn, I'm sorry to hear that. I thought tinnitus is ought to get better with time @Bill Bauer In your case it's been a year now. You don't know the case, do you? It simply just occurred one day? Glad to hear that at least your younger brother saw some improvemenet.

15. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It happens to many people. But of course a considerable fraction end up with lifetime T...

16. AZeurotuner

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      There's a few members on here that still ride... I don't not because of T, but because I did way too much "drop a gear and disappear" shit and just couldn't handle riding like a law abiding citizen. Honda's are good bikes... Kawis, Suzuki's and Yamaha's are good too, can't beat the "big four" when it comes to motorcycles, it really comes down to personal preference. As far as clubbing is concerned, you can still mean a ton of women without going out, I've had a lot of success with ok cupid and pof, it's definitely a learning curve though, a lot different than picking up woman at the bar.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      You mean online dating sites? Yeah, we all know what they are really for (wink, wink). I'm on Badoo btw, but haven't used it since I got tinnitus. I'm not even in the mood for it tbh. I'm willing to give up clubs, but bars? I like student bars, there's only like TV music channels playing in the background. Perhaps with Eargasm earplugs? I just don't wanna end up with T twice as bad as it is now but neither I feel like sacrificing social life. Honda it is (one day).

18. AZeurotuner

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Most of the bars in my town are extremely loud unfortunately, and the ones that are quiet are mostly older folks (I'm 26). If you have a quiet bar with decent amount of attractive ladies then by all means go, I just don't have that option. As far as the dating websites are concerned, I'm at the point in my life where I'd like something serious, but I sure don't mind the "just for tonight" type of encounters either. I recently met an absolutely gorgeous, successful, intelligent woman on pof with a great personality (super funny and kind hearted), it's still pretty early but she definitely has long term potential... There's serious people on those sites if you're looking for something real, also some not so serious people, lol.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Congratulations. That's like winning a lottery but better. Most of the ladies that I think are worth something I can't even reach because they've got full mail boxes. Btw most bars are qoing to be loud, especially if there's lots of folks around and then the TV music playing in the background. However, they're still not as loud as nightclubs. And no I'm not looking for a late night tip. I'd rather something serious too. Just with this tinnitus it's pretty damn difficult because it's the only thing that's on my mind and if it gets worse then I'm gonna end it. Life is a cold bitch.

20. AZeurotuner

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The bars in my town that are popular with the younger crowd as pretty loud, with many pretty much turning into clubs on the weekends, to the point where you have to scream into people's ears to talk, it's absolutely ridiculous. I've had the "if it gets worse I'm gonna end it" mentality before, yet I'm still here, and it has gotten worse. I've developed a kind of mental "armor", sure I have bouts of depression here and there but I keep going. 5-10 years for a cure isn't too bad honestly, your T isn't just gonna "blow up" in that time span, sure it might get a little worse but it shouldn't get unmanageable unless you're being really foolish.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      How do you mean? I avoid all the loud places. Heck, even if I hear plates clank after washing the dishes I'm sh****** my pants that I don't get a T spike. Seriously, I'm third month in and I'm totally hopeless. I have hyperacusis too. I don't even know if it's my neck causing the tinnitus or the acoustic trauma or both. I at least want to be able to get back to the gym and do my workouts. If it's my neck however causing the T then my tinnitus might get louder after a workout and that'd be it. I don't have the mental power like yourself to survive. That's why I found it funny when we were discussing bikes and pipes when we both suffer from this shait. And I used to love the Toce exhaust system or the Hyperflow....

I don't know man. Keep wondering what you did that yours got worse. I've been told that it's meant to get better with time. It's even stated on the NHS tinnitus info site: "In many cases, tinnitus will get better gradually over time."
      https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/tinnitus/

22. AZeurotuner

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Chronic Tinnitus very rarely gets better... A lot of people on here have had their T get worse over time. We live in a loud world... Unless you live in a bubble forever your hearing is gonna take small hits and slowly get worse, which typically worsens tinnitus (even if you never exposed yourself to anything remotely loud for the rest of your life, your hearing would still slowly degrade over time). You can either live your life isolated, paranoid, and lonely (I'm not gonna use names but you probably know who I'm talking about), or you can venture out into the world and still have a semi normal existence... It's up to you. I chose life.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      That goes pretty much against to what you claimed @Bill Bauer
      I am aware that with age our hearing gets worse but there are apparently people whose tinnitus got better and they're on this site too. https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/spontaneous-recovery-stats-many-recover-3-studies.21441/
      Semi-normal life sounds kinda like surviving tbh. Well, your post was honest but it didn't give me much hope for better tomorrows.

24. AZeurotuner

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Chronic Tinnitus doesn't get typically (key word "typically") get better... The studies cited were of acute cases. Your tinnitus is still in the acute phase, it could get better... Mine is way past that. I keep forgetting you've only had yours for three months.

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Chronic tinnitus in the literature I read is 6 months mark after onset. I'm a 3rd month in and saw only a minor improvemenet with daily fluctuations of getting it better and then worse again.

26. AZeurotuner

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      How loud is the ringing? How many tones? How bad is the H? I consider it chronic after a year... After that point most don't get better.

27. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Why would you say that? I claimed that Many recover. Where is the contradiction?

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      It's always better in the morning, then during the day it gets gradually worse. In the afternoon and evening being the loudest. How loud? Well there's times when I can hear the computer fan over the ringing, like right now. Then there's times when it's the complete opposite. On average I'd say it's around 5/10 and 6/10 when it's not good. I cannot hear it when I speak with other people or focusing hard on smth else with a background noise like clock ticking or the computer fan. It's bilateral. In my right ear I hear a high-pitched whistle. In my left ear I hear ringing. Right ear being the bad ear. Usually I hear 2 tones, if I plug my ears then it appears there's a third tone too. Like I said it's fluctuating. And my H is bad. Got a sound level meter, I stopped listening to music, watching movies and even hearing the plates clank loud downstairs scares me. I know how I may sound to a lot of people now, but at least I was 100% real.

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      You said it gets better with time and that you based your opinion on talking to many people around here. This gentleman right here says otherwise. That's why I said that.

Also, I think there's a problem with marking the chronic stage of tinnitus. My first ENT told me it's considered chronic after 3 days and that they can do miracles only if you come see them in 2 days upon onset. Then I read in a specialized literature that the accute stage ends after 3 months mark. Another book said 6 months (perhaps because after this deadline insurance companies stop paying for your treatment). Then I hear it's 1 year and then it's chronic. Later on someone points out that you can only give up hope of ever getting it better after 2 years. See what I mean?

30. AZeurotuner

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Sounds similar to mine minus a few frequencies (I haven't counted but there's a lot), although there's only one thing that can drown it out... The shower. My H is pretty bad but most noise I just grin and bear it, other noises (dishes, loud television, loud music, dogs barking) I can't take, I've gotten better with pink noise but those particular things I just can't deal with... Dishes especially, those goddamn things destroy me. The H bothers me much more than the T, it sets off my T and leaves my ears in pain and stuffed up. I'm experimenting with exposure therapy but idk about exposing myself to clinking dishes other such noises, scares me to death honestly.