A Valid Reason Why Habituation Should Not Be Glorified

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Contrast, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Anyone that chooses to subject themselves to overly loud music is not doing the right thing in my opinion. Providing a person with tinnitus carries out the necessary precautions and most of us know what they are. I see no reason why they cannot go to a concert, cinema or a club. Once a person exercises prudence and discipline, the walls of negativity that they have created will start to come down and will allow positivity to shine through.

Michael

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      that's awesome the admins here are very proactive towards a cure!

• Agree Agree x 5
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I just want to enjoy my favorite music again without the reactive tinnitus and right ear HF hearing loss ruining it :(

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      I am so glad you noticed that post Contrast. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
    5. devilinthedust

devilinthedust Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise exposure
      I think everybody here would love to have a cure for this dreaded monster, and hopefully some day we will. The problem is, that cure is not coming over night, and life goes on. I used to love listening to music, and at first that was hard . It's gotten better, in the sense that I can now listen to some things at lower volumes, but even then, I'm not sure if I should be or not.

My tinnitus is reactive to music and it usually causes a spike, that luckily so far, always comes back down after a while.

Am I doing myself more harm by listening? I don't know. What I do know however, is that I refuse to let this condition ruin or dictate my life.

Have I had to make changes? Sure. We all do. I look at the world differently now, and things that I used to pay no attention to, like how loud the lawnmower is, I have to be aware of now. Change is a part of life, and you either learn to adjust or you don't survive. That's not an option for me. This tinnitus has taken away some things that I love, but it will never get me. We all must find a way to cope and adjust, even while waiting on a cure.

Personally, I think a cure is far, far off. That's unfortunate, but I believe it to be true. Cancer is a much bigger issue , and they haven't found a cure for it yet. That being said, go out and live your life the best you can. You only get one, and there's no sense waiting for something that may never come.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      For me a treatment to lower T, stop it from getting worse and/or take it away for some hours at a time, would be 90% as good as a cure for me. So I am hoping for a treatment like that to be found in the near future. I don't belive in a full one-size-fits-all cure, at least not for the next 50 years.

• Agree Agree x 6
    7. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Dear, oh dear, Michael. I get a headache reading your distorted understanding of habituation. Let me explain something quite basic to you. I mean... something really basic: a person who is habituated would not be writing a bloody post on a tinnitus forum at 5:21 AM on a Saturday morning:

TinnitusTalk_Michael Leigh (03MAR2018 #1).jpg

A person who is a habituated would, on a Saturday morning, either be sound asleep – or – possibly on their way home from a night out in town.

Michael... get some help for your issues.

Please........................................

• Funny Funny x 4
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I joined ATA yesterday, it's only $40.00 a year which includes their quarterly magazine subscription, sound files, and other information available to members.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    9. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      you can totally habituate with mild tinnitus, with moderate maybe, but with severe/intrusive no way. maybe for some people it is possible but i dont think you really can.

• Agree Agree x 3
    10. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      i have habituated with mild tinnitus (when i had mild T) and it was like i had life somewhat back to normal

11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What does this have to do with habituation?

This past weekend, I also went to bed at around 5 am. It had nothing to do with tinnitus. It had to do with a movie that I watched earlier the previous day and with a YouTube clip that I saw when I was about to finally go to bed, that compelled me to watch other clips on that channel. Throughout that night, I had been making and reading posts here.

In any case, please keep in mind that any person against whom you make a personal attack on this forum, is another T sufferer who doesn't deserve any more negative emotions.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. AZeurotuner

AZeurotuner Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      That is where I will agree with you Mr. Bauer... Some people go to bed quite late or wake up very early. I am a night owl, have been since I was a kid, my schedule has always reflected that, and tinnitus has absolutely nothing to do with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Right. And that's the difference between a person who is habituated and one who is not. Someone who is habituated quickly moves on with their life. Occasionally they might check in for old times' sake, but don't expect a habituated individual to be present on a tinnitus forum at 5 AM on a weekend morning. Repeatedly...!

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 1
    14. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I am the real life proof that the above is false.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      I agree with that statement. I wanted to help out a bit with my experience and knowledge and had been met with some really awful remarks just for having my own opinion differ. It makes those who move on - want to continue to move on.

And I find it to be so childish as if we are in grammar school with a teacher who has a big ruler smacking on others knuckles for saying the wrong thing. Then there is the public announcement that you have been put on the person's ignore list. So stupid and juvenile. And it is negativity at it's best.

I stay because I respect Steve and Markku's work. And once in a while I may help someone with my experience.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    16. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Maybe the people who have habituated come here to help the rest of us. Imagine if this forum was nothing but newbies in panic mode! I'm grateful for the veterans here.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    17. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Nah it would be best for all of us if they just moved on.

• Agree Agree x 2
    18. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Keeping my eyes on this thread:wideyed:...
      Love glynis

• Funny Funny x 2
    19. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Computers have been a huge part of my life. From prodigy to AOL. You are correct , I come here to read newbie posts and share my wisdom. I rarely (99%) of the time don't seek any advice here. If people like myself and @Michael Leigh , @glynis ,@billie48 , weren't here then, the newcomers would just see tons of negativity. Negativity can influence and scare newcomers and that's what we need to avoid. We need to help them and equip them with the mentality that YOU can live with tinnitus and YOU can live a productive life......

PS- quite a few others are also very positive on this site :)

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    20. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Well said @fishbone I forgot to mention @glynis who is of course a formidable contributor to this forum with a lot of experience in tinnitus.

Michael

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    21. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      One of the reasons not to focus on habituation at once is that there are rational reasons for tinnitus, e.g. for pulsatile tinnitus...

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Habituation does not happen over night.
      It is a gradual thing and when people look back they can see how far they have come.
      Some people might not think this is possible but looking back maybe in 5 years might find they have and found happiness.
      Some people might not but you have to work hard to make your life better.
      For myself at the moment I have Habituated but that could change when I loose more hearing but I don't think my tinnitus will get worse.
      My hearing aids help a lot.
      Love glynis

23. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      Obviously the interest in the forum for hearing aids as a possibility of tinnitus therapy is not very big...

24. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @Tinniger ,
      My tinnitus is due to Menieres and the damadge done to my ears and hearing so hearing aids really help.
      I understand thought that people with tinnitus dont always have hearing loss and people with hearing loss don't always have tinnitus.
      Love glynis

25. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Michael Leigh There's no doubt that the regulars do bring a lot to this board as that list is long. Tinnitus is complicated and NO one knows all. You are very informed in your areas of interest. There's many who post about physiology and science and others post with knowledge per other topics. Others post about their T nature and experiences with knowledge. That would include life experiences, life styles, available community treatments, family support, and financial concerns and every situation known to mankind.

Some are able to point out the negatives and plusses within the medical or support areas. Some with T don't want to read stories of those who have it bad and that is understandable. Many will see their tinnitus fade or will adjust, but those with ongoing physical conditions could be in a different class. For them, they need the best help of loving thoughts and possible treatments. We all need love with any class of T.

In no way am I finding fault with you. I respect you and respect is always needed, regardless of opinions. Just a few words in an endless essay per tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 3
    26. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      I am really glad you feel that way SugarMagnolia.

• Like Like x 1
    27. Liam_Cairns

Liam_Cairns Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Originally loud Music and was worsened by Micro-suction

I don't know if thats true tbh, there is a difference between negativity and being realistic about ones situation, positivity that you and many others seem to encourage may work for you, but for a lot of people can be really unhealthy. Also this Is just personally how I feel but don't you think thats at least a bit arrogant to say? You are really doubting peoples own capacity to heal.

• Agree Agree x 2
    28. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Who's doubting anyone? It's arrogant to be positive in life, even when situations can be quite negative? My point is to push people towards healing and living their lives. You think gloom and negativity helps people heal? Really?

You think i'm fully healthy as well? Trust me I am very realistic and that's how I live my life, I prefer to still be positive even when life at times wants nothing but negativity and gloom. I appreciate your post, but you are throwing many speculations here.....

I come here to support people and I respect people and their situations. All of our circumstances are different, but do know this, being negative when tinnitus is annoying us, is not going to be helpful. It's never easy to be positive when life is hard, but I will for sure always try....

I doubt it's arrogance when one person comes and shares their struggles, in hoping to give people hope and motivate them in their lives.....

Im sure it's also arrogance ,when members PM me and I comfort them and I answer all their questions and help them out.

29. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      No he's right. False positivity is definitely extremely unhealthy. None of this fake it until you make it crap.

You say you're realistic, and I used to agree that to some degree, you were. But then between a conversation we had, you denied scientific evidence I showed you because you felt like you didn't agree.
      You don't respect all people and their situations, because you made it clear you didn't like me after two messages.

When it comes to hope and motivation, unless you're telling people that there are realistic treatment options coming soon, which you're not doing, you're not being helpful. Just nice.

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. Liam_Cairns

Liam_Cairns Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Originally loud Music and was worsened by Micro-suction
      I think you might be confused with what I was saying, I just think its arrogant to think that tinnitus talk would be a negative place without people like you and the others you stated.

• Agree Agree x 1