Acoustic CR® Neuromodulation: a New Treatment for Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by joe, Jan 22, 2012.

1. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Why does T have to be such a prick to us?

You are about the 4th member,(like myself), who has had T for a long period of time, got used to it then had it increase in volume or pitch for fu@# all reason!

This is exactly why I don't believe we go to hell....we are already there!:mad:

Rich

• Funny Funny x 1
    2. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      That's too bad to hear Steve. They usually don't bother me much, and I don't mind them that much. However, it's not hard to see how they could be annoying.

3. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I think they're not that different. ACRN seems to be poking around your T frequency and Notched is just stimulating all others that aren't your t-frequency. I don't think either are a long term cure but i'll tell you . The ACRN definitely gives me some serious RI even if it's just for 20 minutes. It helps and I'm begging to associate with relaxing and concentrating on other things.

• Like Like x 1
    4. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Are you doing the ACRN yourself with the generalfuzz site? And how long are your sessions? I tried several for a few minutes and the sounds made my tinnitus louder. But I might not be matching the anyway since I have a narrowband noise and a tone. And the narrowband noise is not matchable but interferes with my ability to match my tone.

5. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes I've using the general fuzz site. Wish I had the real thing but I'd have to go to the UK to get it and don't know if the trip would be worth it. Not to mention the cost.
      I do any where between 15-90 minute sessions... About to try some Notched White noise. But not expecting anything real to come of it. LOL---T sucks but life is still good.

6. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have been trying to do 2 hours a day. but's it's tough. I also usually listen through speakers.
      Any body else had success with ACRN here? Anyone?

7. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      Not great news from the trial, got an e-mail from them just before. They won't be publishing due to some deviations from the protocol. This is both good and bad; bad that we have to wait longer to know how effective it could be, good to see that the trial was fully reviewed and it is a robust process to make sure the results are completely accurate.

The official statement is:

“Acoustic CR® Neuromodulation is a treatment for chronic tonal tinnitus. In 2012, The Tinnitus Clinic Ltd funded a 100 participant Randomised Controlled Double Blind Trial to establish the efficacy of this treatment under independent controlled conditions.

The trial was undertaken at Nottingham Hearing Biomedical Research Unit and the Ear Institute at University College London and was sponsored by Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust.

The first results of the trial were expected in September 2013. Review of the trial has, however, concluded that there have been deviations from the trial protocol and that the results cannot be regarded as scientifically robust. It is therefore with regret that all the parties have concluded that the results of the trial cannot be published with confidence.

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust and The Tinnitus Clinic are discussing a new trial on Acoustic CR Neuromodulation which they hope will commence in the near future. NHBRU, Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust and The Tinnitus Clinic are very grateful for the time and effort of the participants of the original trial”

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    8. SteveToHeal
      Insomnious

SteveToHeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I see ACRN is offered by The Tinnitus Clinic in the UK. I read some results from people who have gone for it, that it worked. Is the T clinic free for UK citizens and have u been there to try ACRN?

9. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      It's a private clinic.

Prices:
      http://www.thetinnitusclinic.co.uk/tinnitus-treatment/paying-for-your-treatment

Acoustic CR® Neuromodulation treatment package
      This package costs £4495.

More information about the ACRN treatment process:
      http://www.thetinnitusclinic.co.uk/tinnitus-treatment/acoustic-neuromodulation/treatment-process

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. SteveToHeal
      Insomnious

SteveToHeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
    11. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      NHS doesn't pay for it/cover it.

• Like Like x 1
    12. SteveToHeal
      Insomnious

SteveToHeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Would you pay that much for this treatment? I know general fuzz has his own ACRN on the web for free. But what do the T clinic do differently?

13. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      counceling i guess, and for older people or non tech savvy, it's usually easier for them to some help from professionals

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Now? No I wouldn't. Too much money when the efficacy is still a question mark. Maybe if I had that much money to just throw away on a test, I could try it now.

But if they get another trial going on and the results show good promise, then sure, I'd think about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I definitely wouldn't pay. I was on the trial and had to stop as it made me progressively worse.

From the letter they sent there seems to also be issue with the equipment and the CE mark. I did wonder if the headphones were the main issue for me, really didn't like them, the whole device was horrible sounding. So who knows if it will be slightly honed (now the Tinnitus Clinic own the company) and prove a better device.

As James said, counselling is a big part. They also can do a far better job of matching your t tone than you can do yourself, so it will be more precise than the DIY approach.

16. SteveToHeal
      Insomnious

SteveToHeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Thanks Steve. Very helpful to know you got worse from it. I agree with both you an Markkhu - not worth it right now. When they prove it for sure. T clinic buys the company... Hopefully they will hone it as you say. But def not worth the money just for counseling. What a pity.

17. Debjj

Debjj Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus in the ears
      Hi
      I was on trials too & I definitely wouldn't pay for it. It ages for my T.to settle afterwards & I found nothing positive in it. I'm now taking amitriptyline, just at night & it's made a real difference for me; wish I tried it years ago, but I was too stubborn & didn't want to take drugs. Worth trying, if you haven't already done so.

• Like Like x 1
    18. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I bet they have messed up the matching part,,,doubt if the trial appointments were long enough to get it right.

Ive got the T shirt from the Tinnitus clinic (an expensive T shirt) waste of time ... 3 hrs a day for a year went back 8 times for rematching.

19. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Deb, has it gone back to a normal level now for you now (define normal, ha)?

20. Debjj

Debjj Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus in the ears
      Yes it has. I don't regret doing the trials, anything is worth a shot & I'm thankful I didn't have to pay for it. The amitriptyline hasn't made the T. any quieter, it just helps me not to let it bother me so much.

• Informative Informative x 1
    21. Alfredo

Alfredo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2011
      • Creative Creative x 1
    22. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've seen this before. It's interesting and it does work as residual inhibition.

It's the sort of thing that would need to be researched a bit more, how it works with the brain, can it do more than RI etc.

I've played around with some similar techniques of making noise and they do help. White noise doesn't cut it for me any more so I need to be creative. I wouldn't know how to use the software that this guy uses though, it's more scientific and I'm music production based.

23. Alfredo

Alfredo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2011
      Thanks for the response.
      White noise doesn't work for me either for quite some time, in most days Winds with higher frequencies work for me and from few days ago i start listening neuromodulation that you created(Acoustic Neuromodulation - descending 5ths). Neuromodulation I used when i'm going to sleep or when the tinnitus turn more into frequency. My tinnitus is most a buzzing sound.

24. SteveToHeal
      Insomnious

SteveToHeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Nope - no joy with the ACRN. I used the generalfuzz site a while back and sometimes it did make my t worse. But maybe i just had not found my t freq properly. I know it is somewhere around 8Khz. Also looked at t clinic. Very expensive in the UK. Although vids of people on there that got relief from it.

25. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      On the trial they told me that it sometimes made people's T worse temporarily before it started to get better. If you can be confident of your frequency to within a few hundred Hz then I might be tempted to persevere @SteveToHeal. Don't play the tones too loud though - they should be just over the threshold of hearing for each of the four tones generated. That needs a bit of experimenting.

26. SteveToHeal
      Insomnious

SteveToHeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Thanks Dan. I don't have that kind of money for a what if. Just looked on the website now. Looks like the prices have been taken off. Suspect... Earlier this year they were there. Hmmmm.... Copying from the post above tho - i think it was in this region for ACRN: £4,500
      So, like i say, way too pricey for a maybe. Plus lots of negative results from posters on here.

27. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      Ahhhh, I thought you were discussing the General Fuzz DIY version. Which produces tones remarkably close to those made by the official device and seems to help some folks but not all (not me unfortunately). Of course, you know best what effect it has on you.

I'm Dave by the way. :)

28. PhilB

PhilB Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I went for an initial consultation at the T Clinic back in March and was quoted £4,500 for ACRN. Bt the time I attended the consultation, I was already experimenting with the generalfuzz tone patterns on an MP3 player. I decided that the T Clinic's ACRN was far too expensive and I believed it would be possible to self-administer a course of ACRN-type treatment using freely available resources. Over a period of about 3 months, I listened regularly to ACRN tones for maybe an hour or two each day (which is less than recommended by the T-Clinic). I eventually became disillusioned with ACRN and reached the conclusion that the benefits are largely attributable to RI, therefore not helpful in the long term. Those who advocate ACRN do emphasise the importance of identifying the frequency of one's T as accurately as possible. I probably failed to devote sufficient attention to finding the correct frequency, therefore it would be unfair of me to dismiss ACRN. All I can say with any certainty is that my own T was not reduced by it except for the short-term effects of RI.

29. SteveToHeal
      Insomnious

SteveToHeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Shit sorry Dave. I don't know why i put Dan in there. Sorry man o_O

Thanks for the info. Maybe i'll give it (the generalfuzz one) another trial of say 2hrs a day.

The one in the UK is expensive. I thought it maybe has some special tones or sequences on it that the generalfuzz one doesn't. However, reports i have read from members say that the ACRN trial (i assume hosted by the TC - tinnitus clinic) was not successful for them.

• Like Like x 1
    30. SteveToHeal
      Insomnious

SteveToHeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Thanks PhilB - i'll give it another go and try and match my tone closer. I did have a t match done at an audiologist here (again subjective) a while back. I'll put those tones into gfuzz and give the ACRN another go. One of the vids on the t clinic, the old guy with 20 yrs t, says to persevere. It does look like you did plenty of that! Tx again for the info!