Acoustic CR® Neuromodulation: a New Treatment for Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by joe, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Orea

Orea Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Hello all~

I too, whipped out the cc about 7-8 months ago.
      My T was very bad about 8 years ago, subsided to a very liveable level until last February when an intravenous dose of antibiotics combined with too much thyroid med blasted me into hell.

The device from Harley Street in London helped me initially and when I don't use it (often as I travel to non-electricity rural areas and cannot recharge it) it grows back in multiplicity and volume.

I have tonal and hiss/cricket both ears and sometimes up to 5-6 tones!

To be honest what has help me the most (although initially very challenging) is my TM Sidhi practice.
      See TM.org

A spiritual application of metaphor gives me strength and although very personal, I share to encourage individual exploration.

:))

2. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      so should I just listen to it and hope for the best?

3. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      Latest news here for the trial data, the BTA put in a request for the results as they weren't released http://www.tinnitus.org.uk/RESET2 - kudos to the BTA for following up on this to try and get the data out of them, I would love to see the study report.

To quote some of the text:

The End of Study Report did not report a significant difference in the primary outcome measure (global Tinnitus Handicap Questionnaire scores) between the treatment group and the placebo group.

Now, I do believe that there is hope in this still, I just think that using a single thing (the 4 tones) is not the best solution. I think that using multiple tone patterns will work better, all dependant on the user, just find the one with the best effect. But hey, it's just a theory on my part.

• Like Like x 2
    4. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    5. sergerold

sergerold Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/14
      Do you think commercial interests are preventing the release of the study data?

6. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Lets face it The Tinnitus Clinic a private firm put themselves on the line setting the trial up....Either they became multi millionaires or paupers..

7. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I could only speculate. We really have to see what the freedom of information request from the BTA gets us. I do believe in the therapy though, just not the exact way that it's delivered through the patented algorithm and proprietary device. There may be a patient profile following this trial, where we can say that x tinnitus cause, x period of having tinnitus, x THI profile are the most susceptible group to treat.

I can't wait to see the results, hopefully we will get the opportunity.

Yes they did. But... In the interim, whilst there is uncertainty, just how much money have they made from the device and the attention their practice has got from the trial and associated marketing?

I guarantee that the money spent on the trial - whether it was deemed successful or not - has already proved a shrewd investment.

8. SteveToHeal
      Insomnious

SteveToHeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
    9. joejunior

joejunior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2001
      Another scam - dont buy it

10. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      These results are very open to bias as they are reports from the clinic from patients treated, plus there are no controls to show if they are reliable. The real meat will be when we get the full results from the Nottingham trial, hopefully the BTA information request will give us these soon.

@joejunior I don't think it's reasonable to call this a scam. There are many products that definitely are but this is a clinically developed protocol, not the tinnitus miracle. There is plenty of discussion around the efficacy of it though.

11. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Q. Why did the trial not lead to results that could be published?
      A. The trial was found to have failed to adhere to the specified protocol, which included unintentional deviations from manufacturers’ instructions and differences in delivering the treatment. These deviations were reviewed by an independent trials auditor, and were considered to have had the potential to affect the validity of the end result. As such, the results were deemed not to be scientifically sound and therefore, cannot be relied upon to provide a proper evaluation of the efficacy of the Acoustic CR® Neuromodulation therapy for treating chronic tonal tinnitus.

12. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Not sure I see ACRN as viable. Different forms of it been around for years. I don't see posts about it being successful for people. From the studies I have seen, it is most likely someone with T would have improved 12-24 months anyway without anything at all let alone ACRN. Then again I don't have tonal T so it wouldn't do me much good anyway

13. @erik What type of tinnitus do you have?

14. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Longer-term readers of this forum may be aware that trials of this device - available very expensively in the UK and Europe were underway at Nottingham University and the results of the research study were going to be published some time ago. But no news - so what's happened. The answer's on this link

http://www.tinnitus.org.uk/RESET2

Basically the tinnitus clinic who were sponsoring the research didn't like the results and have prevented publication. The key sentence here is the following: "The End of Study Report did not report a significant difference in the primary outcome measure (global Tinnitus Handicap Questionnaire scores) between the treatment group and the placebo group."

Ie long-term outcomes for people using this expensive device were no better than placebo users. For a long time people have been questioning whether this expesnsive device is worth the money and now the evidence is out there, despite the tinnitus clinic's attempts at censorship - the answer is no.

Of course it's particularly shocking that the authors of this study - high profile UK tinnitus academics such as Derek Hoare and Deb Hall have been prepared to go along with the censoring of their research but I guess if you sell your soul to the devil etc.

15. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I have to say thank you again to @generalfuzz - your app has helped me today as I am going through a rough patch in my habituation and needed some temporary relief. If anyone out the can isolate there t frequency there's a good chance this app can give you some temporary silence-relatively speaking that is.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Beowulf Agat
      Creative

Beowulf Agat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Has anyone tried this? Is it only available for UK citizens or is the clinic open for people from other countries?

17. Beessie
      Relaxed

Beessie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      21-01-2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? + badluck? Clubbing? IDK!
      It is since two months available in The Netherlands aswell, but then you have to go to Heerenveen three times a week.

Results are not statistical valid about the effectiveness of this threatment

18. japongus

japongus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I'm not gonna read the 13 pages, but browsing the first and last it looks like this is the Frankenstein you'd get if you married TRT theory with a spanish politician!

19. Blujay

Blujay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1900
      Has anyone here tried Acoustic Neuromodulation?

20. Dutchy
      Not worthy

Dutchy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neuronmodulation suggests noise induced?
      Not sure if this treatment has been discussed or not,just wondering if anyone actually tried this method?.

Edit: Hmm i figured it would be questionable after visiting a hearing physician she probably would've told me about this especially if it was available here in the Netherlands.I must say the neuro modular music on this site's music player does have a positive effect for a while.Oh well,going for the hearing/masking aid. ( it seems like my T is spiking though from regular oxazepam intake ).

21. Messi

Messi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Hello all n thanks for sharing information ..
      My name is Mohamed , 23 years old from Egypt .
      My right ear always fulls of wax so i usually go to clean it in the clinic so a doctor use a Syringe full of water and put it in my ear and pumps the water inside my ear so the wax get out with the water flow .
      one time i felt my right ear was filled and couldn't hear normal with it so i thought i had wax inside it as usual so i went to a clinic to do the usual thing which is cleaning my ear using this syringe of water ... but this time after the doctor has cleaned it , i felt the ringing in my right ear . i thought it's normal so i went to home like nothing happened then the next day i found that my ear was still filled plus that ringing so i went to another clinic and i did some hearing tests and the doctor told me that i had an otitis media with effusion ( glued ear ) in the right ear , it's a fluid ( water ) behind the drum .. i had some medicines to suck the water down but it didn't work so i went back to the same doctor and i did a little surgery called myringotomy , the doctor has sucked that water behind my drum and put a very tiny tube in the hole of the drum he made . he also said that this tube will fall by its own between 6 to 12 months.
      If i have tinnitus then i can describe the sound like a flat line on a heart monitor ... like its' sound when the heart is stopped so i guess it's a tonal sound .
      I hear that ringing since the water syringe was pumped into my right ear .. that was 2 months ago.
      my first question ..can this tube make a ringing sound or tinnitus ? or this is normal ?
      my second question .. is there anything i can do to avoid or reduce this tinnitus sound before it comes permanent specially in this early time ?
      thanks all

22. Afeef
      Cowboy

Afeef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Hello guys!

I came across a Youtube video under the title
      Tinnitus Treatment - Causes and treatment of tinnitus
      by The Tinnitus Clinic link :
      Tinnitus Treatment - Causes and treatment of...

Its been few years this video has been uploaded by The Tinnitus Clinic and it just makes good sense to me and I just wanted to know if someone has used this method for Tinnitus.
      They have their website : http://thetinnitusclinic.co.uk/?field=YTL so you guys just check it out and people have had some success with this just go through their wesite.
      I did find some related threads but just felt the need to post about it by myself.

Waiting for reply

Thanks
      Afeef

23. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Don't you think if it worked we would all be doing it?

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. Afeef
      Cowboy

Afeef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      True that!

25. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      I started the neurostimulator therapy. Actually, tomorrow morning I will wear the headphones for the first time. Today was for adjusting the neurostimulator. This made my tinnitus go up. But this was expected.

• Informative Informative x 1
    26. Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am one week into the neurostimulator therapy.
      Not long, but I suppose long enough to give an update.
      When I use the stimulator my tinnitus goes up and my hearing gets tired after a while. The level of the tones generated by the stimulator are low. I can barely hear them.
      It has effect on my tinnitus tone most of the time. The sound of the tinnitus often changes from a 9.5 kHz tone to a low level hissing (purple noise).
      I find it easier to deal with the hissing. I was expecting the tone to go down in frequency. This only happened for short periods of time. Perhaps using the stimulator for a longer time will do this.
      Sometimes when using the stimulator I experience a very mild vertigo effect. Not at all uncomfortable or alarming. I am not 100% certain if this is because of the therapy. I am sure I will later on.
      Most of the time my tinnitus level is still to high for comfort, but the periods where the tinnitus is bearable are very, very slowly increasing. And this began happening after starting the therapy. That makes me hopeful.

No change in hyperacusis. But this is not what the therapy supposed to do. Just wishful thinking on my part.

Like I said. One week is short, but change in my tinnitus I regard as positive.
      At the moment my tinnitus is moderate. To high to read a book (concentrate), but low enough to watch tv or work on the computer.
      I don't think this therapy will make the tinnitus go away. The expectation/hope is that the tinnitus will become less intrusive.

27. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      How much does the treatment cost?

28. Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      3015 Euros.
      I hope that they feel they need to recover the investment before a biological therapy comes available.
      I am not sure why it needs to be so expensive.
      Still my anxiety made the decision for me to go ahead. If I can get back some comfort I can enjoy this every day.

29. Jahhsoul
      Curious

Jahhsoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/24/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown (not acute acoustic trauma).
      God we will never get a drug for chronic suffers if people pay so much for treatmens and supplements and therapies. Im sure AUT0063 were efective and they paid for cancel the release.

30. Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I can understand what you are saying. I agree partly.
      It is not only tinnitus that needs a cure. Hearing loss needs research.

Imagen how much people are willing to pay, if companies find a cure for hearing loss!
      I believe that companies that started to invest in research already concluded this. If they are able to cure, or partial cure hearing loss, these companies will be able to make a lot of money.

And because tinnitus and hyperacusis, in most cases, originate from hearing loss, this cure could very well treat these afflictions at the same time.
      But again, I agree with you. It is way too expensive.

If what you are saying regarding AUT0063 is true, some people make this world a sadder place than I even Imagined.