Acupuncture for Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by calin, Apr 15, 2012.

1. hans01
      Artistic

hans01 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, hearing loss, sinus infections, ... ?
      I'm also going to test acupuncture, I've had very good results in the past to repair sleep with it, but never tried for my T.

2. dan26
      Frustrated

dan26 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very bad concussion motorcycle accident
      it is supposed to help with insomnia and who knows if it might relieve the crazy sounds. I might be trying this soon.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Tom88

Tom88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I’m trying it next week. My previous appointment got cancelled. Mindfulness the day after. Should be one long relaxing experience. Hopefully.

• Useful Useful x 1
    4. Voice of jack
      Mellow

Voice of jack Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 29th 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not known but had an ear infection and hearing loss
      Hi All,

I had my 6th session of acupuncture yesterday, the therapist used candles in both my ears, electros on some of needles plus a lot of needles around my body and ears. He also used small round sticky paper dot patches with a tiny seed in the middle he stuck these in several position on each ear, they hurt when pressed he said it will free up stuck energy. In the evening the tone of the T changed and even went quieter, but today it's still around. However, I have found a fantastic relief, which works for me which is Violet noise, I downloaded an app from the App store the app is called, "White Noise" it includes several coloured noises: White, Brown,Purple,Pink,Grey along with other sound effects, waterfalls, beach, waves, jungle and many more. But the one that alleviates my T and masks it out, is Violet noise. I used it last night via Bluetooth to my speaker so no headphone use, the Violet noise is so soothing for me, I managed to fall asleep without constant use of hypnotic, sleep and mindful tapes. My T is in my left ear only, so I put the speaker on the night stand to my left. As the Violet noise is on my iPhone, if my T gets troublesome during the day and I am not at home, I put a Bluetooth earpiece in my left ear and play the Violet noise at very low voloume it works and masks the T.

I have another acupuncture appointment next week, also a follow up with the ENT consultant for a review after he prescibed Prednisolone I finished the 7 day course but T still around but I think it is a little lighter well at least a higher pitch so it's changing, which I don't know is a good or bad thing?

Kind regards to all.

Jack.

5. Chip T

Chip T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My own stupidity. Digging for ear wax.
      Hello all

I'm new to tinnitus and this Web site, and would appreciate anyone's input on this. I am seeing an acupuncturist who says he has successfully treated (i.e. "cured") many people suffering with T. I have had three sessions so far, and after the first I did notice a slight decrease in volume. I have an appointment scheduled with an ENT doctor two weeks from now, and I don't know what to expect there. My question is what do you all know about acupuncture as a "cure?" Thank you!

6. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      It generally has not helped majority of the community. But if it’s helping you, stick with it!

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Madhan
      Balanced

Madhan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I had tinnitus for about a month non stop until yesterday. Life was horrible. It started with crickets sound and then static added after that.

I started doing acupuncture along with Ayurvedic remedy using sesame oil. My tinnitus was noise induced.

Since yesterday night I saw an improvement in the static sound. Now the static sound is every now and then, but I can still hear the crickets all the time. But the high frequency static gave me a big relief. I believe the Acupuncture is working after 3 treatments or the Ayurvedic remedy. Hope this is the way to complete recovery.

Guys, please try the Acupuncture but finding the right person is the key here. Not every one is good. Read reviews on yelp and google and look at their history on treating the patients. My Acupuncturist told me that you would need about 10-15 treatments for recovery. Also it depends on your immunity, qi (energy) and age, is what he told me will decide the recovery time.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. InfiniteLoop
      Relaxed

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss in left ear from head trauma (?)
      @Madhan

Please, report when acupunture stops working. Note that you can be under placebo effect, or your hearing healing by natural process. Just because T is a mysterious condition, it does not imply that a mysterious healing method should work. In my opinion, acupunture for typical tinnitus does not make sense. The acupunturist will take your money as part of the discovery process. They took mine during my T onset period, it is an expensive relaxation method.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    9. Madhan
      Balanced

Madhan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @InfiniteLoop

To answer your question - how long did it last, it lasted for about 2 days. The second day I had acupuncture, it got loud again with the static sound. I went to acupuncture again today, I am feeling better again. A low hiss every now and then but the crickets sound is still there, but not so bothering. This is my fourth treatment.

If you remember correctly, can you please tell me where your needles were? near your ear or arms/legs and stomach?
      As I said before finding the right person is key here. I went to one guy before who was useless, he was more of a chiro rather than acupuncture.(just one needle right next to the ear). Did nothing to me.

Luckily in Virginia, US, where I live, there are good acupuncturists available, and there is also an oriental medicine university (VOUM). Cost is also not much, 30$ for one session, which is not bad at all.

• Winner Winner x 1
    10. InfiniteLoop
      Relaxed

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss in left ear from head trauma (?)
      @Madhan

I went to two different accupunture practitioners. Both seemed serious about their business. The first one was very traditional (originally from China and where she got her degree). The second one incorporated more recent techniques and added electro-needles in the ear area. I do not recall the needle locations precisely, but I will say that I had a least 30 needles and several of them in the ear area. I found the many sessions to be very relaxing, but they did absolutely zero about affecting my T. My T is very variable in sounds and loudness, and it remains about the same after 4 years. Trying treatments that are very unlikely to work is just part of the curse around T.

11. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Anything that reduces your stress levels should reduce tinnitus. That could be a good holiday. ..changing to a less stressful job or being treated and cared for by another individual eg an acupuncture practitioner. The longer I have T the more important I realise the psychological component is.

• Informative Informative x 1
    12. housemzk

housemzk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 18, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussions, wisdom teeth removal, neck, jaw, stress, noise?
      @Madhan - where exactly did you go in VA and with who? I'm nearby and would be willing to give acupuncture another shot based on your experience.

13. Madhan
      Balanced

Madhan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @housemzk Choi acupuncture and herbal clinic in manassas VA.

8565 Sudley rd suite b manassas va. He is very flexible with timings.

There is one more option if you are close to fairfax. VOUM, there are like 10 acupuncturists available there. Cost is 40$ per session with either these options.

14. housemzk

housemzk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 18, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussions, wisdom teeth removal, neck, jaw, stress, noise?
      @Madhan - Thank you for the recommendation! I was paying $115 per session in DC. Making a bit of a trek to Manassas seems worth it.

15. Madhan
      Balanced

Madhan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
    16. Madhan
      Balanced

Madhan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @volsung37 i completely agree with you. I slept like a baby yesterday using voilet noise, T is so much bearable today. Yesterday was horrible as I had food poison along with unbearable T. Had to pray God to save me from suffering

• Like Like x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    17. Rod McDonald

Rod McDonald Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/6/2012
      Thanks for the tip about violet noise. I live in China and went to see an acupuncturist. They admitted the changes would be slight and take time. In all, they seemed to indicate acupuncture is of small but limited use.
      But if it helps, go for it.

18. Rod McDonald

Rod McDonald Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/6/2012
      My sleep has been so bad I went to a hospital yesterday. They suggested giving acupuncture another try. I find it doesn't help much with the actual Tinnitus but it did help me sleep better. For some time I have been waking up feeling as though I have not slept at all. The acupuncture helps cope with the tension caused by the nerve damage, Tinnitus, and I'll take it. I woke up feeling as though I had rested at least. Acupuncture has no known side effects, so from that point of view, at least it is positive.

19. G H
      Curious

G H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So does anyone have any links for this violet noise thingy? Is it available for Android?

20. Fleegle
      Doubtful

Fleegle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am investigating the use of acupuncture to relieve symptoms or resolve tinnitus.

21. Ivan2475

Ivan2475 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Either citopram or stress and anxiety
      Hi

I have had 2 acupuncture sessions and my tinnitus has got louder and more constant pitch.
      The lady who does mine said that this is normal due to the body getting used to it.
      Did you continue and did it help you as you said it got lower?
      Thank you for your help

22. G H
      Curious

G H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I quit after about ten sessions when I noticed no improvement. Sometimes after a session I'd get relief from my tinnitus that would last for an hour or two but then it returned as normal. It might be effective for you though. :sneaky:

• Like Like x 1
    23. Ivan2475

Ivan2475 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Either citopram or stress and anxiety
      Thank you for your help

• Like Like x 1
    24. Nics2drescue
      Inspired

Nics2drescue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes, that's what my acupuncturist said too. The high pitch went down eventually. But ultimately, and in hindsight, I don't think acupuncture made any difference to be honest. Only burned a hole in my wallet.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. Core2Duo

Core2Duo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      6 sessions. Same tinnitus. The doctor cured a 60-year-old guy. I know the cured guy but it is not working for me.

26. Samira

Samira Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2019sq
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown I believe overwhelming stress
      Hello, I' m a new member, apologize for the long info in advance. Desperate for this constant loud ringing/hissing that began quietly four months in one ear and now sometimes both to diminish. I thought it was stress related as several traumatic things happened one after the other. Awaiting to see the ENT (now moved to June 12). Have worn ear plugs over 20 years. I'm now using one to listen to spa music but doesn't help. Tried prescription sleeping pills which help me with not waking up as often but leave me tired in the morning. So desperate to sleep I walked into emergency hoping to they could knock me out a few days. Given Atavan & a cognitive behavior course. So sad to be forgetful and eating for a family of four. (Was the success story at my gym I taught at). Just tried the tinnitus play app and the sounds are distracting.

I heard acupuncture helps. Has anyone had success with it?

Thank you in advance :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    27. Baguette
      Fine

Baguette Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert (2006) Outboard (2019) Headphone (2020)
      Hi Samira, if it’s working for someone, it’s because of the placebo effect. The way you think as a lot to do in the tinnitus nuisance but needles will never heal your ears!

For me it was a waste of time... but you should give it a try. If it lowers you stress and anxiety you will benefit from it. Good luck!

28. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Well, I have been doing pretty bad with my tinnitus lately. One of my breakdowns happened in front of my family members and now they are insisting that I should try acupuncture, because XY got good results for their totally unrelated issues (joint pain, if I recall correctly). I'm firmly on the opinion that it does not help tinnitus, I'm not persuaded in the slightest that kidney causes all the issues with the ear, and traditional Chinese medicine is the heal-all method. But I already got told that I negate everything and I don't want to heal and that's my only problem. So, I'm willing to go to an appointment.

I would like to ask: is acupuncture just a waste of money and time or can it have some nasty side affects, capability of making tinnitus worse? I think that because it doesn't seem to help, it may not be able to deteriorate the condition either. Am I wrong?

Thank you.

29. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Hi Kriszti, I have had acupuncture at a Chinese clinic and it provided temporary relief from severe hyperacusis. I would walk out of the clinic quite relaxed, my muscles, my face.. it was pleasant, but the relief was only temporary (a better day, or two days) and then everything was back to "normal", this is, hyperacusis.

I hope acupuncture has more lasting effects for you. You should definitely give it a try!

• Like Like x 1
    30. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks, Juan.

Problem is, I'm very, very sceptical and it costs a fortune here. And for me it seems shady that to everyone with tinnitus they say it's due to kidney malfunction...

But you say that it doesn't help permanently, but doesn't do harm either, right? I read it here that maybe electroacupuncture is one procedure to avoid. I think, because of COVID-19, I have time to think about this.