Am I Okay to Get the Flu Jab?

Discussion in 'Support' started by hannahdoubleyou, Sep 30, 2017.

1. hannahdoubleyou

hannahdoubleyou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (I think)
      Hi again everyone,

I'm thinking of having the flu jab (at Tesco) and wondered if it was potentially harmful to someone with tinnitus/ototoxic etc. Just wanted to hear your experiences!

Thanks,

Hannah

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    2. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      There are many arguments about vaccinations, but so far as I know ototoxicity isn't one of them.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis then volume then viral infection
      The flu with my tinnitus, is a nightmare beyond compare. I have the flu shot. One less misery!

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Had mine today as ima sever asthmatic
      Love glynis x

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Daisymay
      Thinking

Daisymay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started after going to a loud concert
      I got mine a week and a half ago and it didn't affect my T. I know everyone reacts differently to things, however, I feel that getting the flu would affect my T in a very bad way and don't want to take chances. I also have asthma, so I get the flu shot every year.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I've have had T for many years and have been getting flu shots for many years. They've never had any affect on my T.

• Like Like x 2
    7. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      • Like Like x 1
    8. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I also have asthma and saw on a recent news broadcast that asthma sufferers are specifically encouraged to get a flu shot. I have been considering getting one (I have never in the past because of the old belief that you end up with a "cold" for the entire season).

I'm not the most intelligent or most educated person, but I do enjoy learning new words, than you for using ototoxicity, you have contributed to my vocabulary.

• Like Like x 2
    9. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I'm no doctor, or expert of any kind in this matter, but I think that tinnitus/ototoxic side effects from a flu vaccine are relatively rare, you'd probably stand more of a chance of having ear and/or tinnitus problems if you avoided the shot and got the flu. I received my yearly shot six days ago and have felt no bad effects on my hearing or tinnitus. In fact, my T symptoms have actually improved quite a bit since then, although not as a result of the flu vaccine.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    10. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Yes. Getting the flu, an ear infection and taking antibiotics other meds pose a higher risk.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I've said this for many years now... I am always surprised at how stupid the pubic is regarding these vaccinations. You are willing to inject toxins into your body so that you maybe (but probably won't) reduce your chances of getting the flu. Is the flu that scary!!!?? I mean, how dumb do you have to be, pharma really sees the suckers coming out in the masses, easy money $$$$. They can fill you full of toxins, make you sick, stupid, and sucker you into more drugs down the line, what an amazing business model.

How about taking responsibility for yourself, eating property and living a responsibile lifestyle, maybe take the proper steps in preventing yourself from getting sick instead of relying on the drug companys that just want to bend you over and create a life time paying client. Nope, Instead the lazy sheeple line up in herds, take their poison, and rely on the good honest word of big Pharma.

And if that's all upsetting for you all, maybe take some antidepressants while you are at it, I'm sure you are hooked on those as well. Line up like a good drugged d up zombie, and believe do what you're told, take your meds, and don't ask any questions, the good man in the white coat gave them to you, they must be good for you.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.glo...nstrating-a-decrease-in-influenza/5427871/amp

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hannahdoubleyou

hannahdoubleyou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (I think)
      Thanks everyone! I'll book myself in tomorrow :)

• Like Like x 1
    13. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Telis,
      I know you mean well and im not out to have a go at your post as all views are equally important and a good debate is good.

For me I need the injection as a sever asthmatic to help protect my lungs and airways and life threatening atacks.

As its a tinnitus forum I hope you understand my view too!
      Love glynis x l

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I have been thinking off getting a flu shot, because after getting T I am very scared of getting sick with the flu, as I have read some people experienced permanent worsening of their T because of having the flu.

It would be great to not have the flu, regardless. They are the absolute worst! :D

15. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      The flu is scary for me. Despite taking responsibility for myself, eating well and living a healthy lifestyle, I caught the flu in my late 20s. I could barely move for two weeks. It damaged my heart and caused peripheral neuropathy. My cardiologist told me I was fortunate that it didn’t kill me.

And here I am now with hearing loss caused by a virus. I have no detectable autoimmune disorder, yet it seems viruses inflict more damage on me versus others. I will be getting the flu shot because the hypothetical risks of the flu shot ingredient list (which I can review with a pharmacist and have researched prior to previous flu shots) are outweighed by past viral damage.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    16. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yes I definitely understand, and I'm very sorry about your illness, I hope you are okay and I definitely wish you the very best. I just wonder about how effective these shots are in the first place. In my opinion they are not proven, and more of a health risk than any kind help, just my opinion though.

Sorry if I came off a little harsh, I hope you continue the good battle and wish you strength moving forward. Take care

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      The flu shot can have horrible side effects and possibly cause other issues. It's a risk and I choose to not deal with it. Being healthy and strengthening the immune system is very important, especially around this time of the year...

18. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013

Agree.

Coupled with the fact that the "flu shot" does not cover all possible strains.....

I still end up with the flu anyway ... So, Id sooner focus on my immunity.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What do you base this opinion on? There have been many studies regarding the safety and efficacy of the flu vaccine.
      https://www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/vaccination/effectiveness-studies.htm
      I'm not going to link all the safety studies, but you can search www.google.com/scholar or www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/

The biggest risk with the influenza vaccine is Guillain-Barré syndrome, which is about 1 in 1,000,000, and it's important to note that you are more likely to get Guillain-Barré syndrome after having the flu than you are from getting the shot.

You can find anecdotal information for just about any ailment on the internet. While scary and concerning, I really don't know what to make of anecdotal evidence without any research studies. I did a quick search and this is what I could find: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27026733

20. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      ----According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “The following substances are found in flu vaccines: antibiotics, egg protein, formaldehyde, human aborted fetal apparatus (dead human tissue), monosodium glutamate (MSG), and thimerosal (mercury).” In addition to these in potentially harmful substances, flu vaccines contain many other toxic or hazardous ingredients:

• Thimerosal – contains mercury and is linked to autism and other brain injury. Side effects and danger are too numerous to mention.
      • Aluminum – a neurotoxin that has been linked to Alzheimer’s disease. Side effects and danger are too numerous to mention. Read about aluminum toxicity.
      • Formaldehyde – Symptoms of low-level exposure include runny nose, sore throat, cough, dermatitis, sleeping difficulties, headache, fatigue, breathing difficulties, sinus irritation, chest pain, frequent nausea, bronchitis, and decreased lung capacity. Signs of acute exposure include abdominal pain, anxiety, coma, convulsions, diarrhea, and respiratory problems such as bronchitis, pneumonia or pulmonary edema. Your reaction to the flu vaccine is probably from formaldehyde!
      • Phenol (carbolic acid) – For reasons why you want to call a poison control center upon ingestion of this poison, click here.
      • Polysorbate 80 – Allergic reaction like sneezing, coughing, swelling, wheezing, shortness of breath, skin rashes, itching and pain: gastrointestinal problems like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea; heart and circulatory problems like abnormal heart rhythm, heart attack, stroke; fertility problems like infertility in women; tumor and cancer growth
      • Ethylene glycol (antifreeze)– can cause too much calcium in the blood which can lead to kidney stones and kidney insufficiency, metabolized into glycolic acid and can cause profound acidosis in the body
      • Betapropiolactone – a disinfectant
      • Nonoxynol – used to kill or stop growth of STDs, but can cause allergic reactions in 3-5 percent of the population
      • Octoxinol 9 – a vaginal spermicide that can cause chills, confusion, dizziness, fever; lightheadedness, muscle aches, sunburn-like skin rash that is followed by peeling of the skin
      • Neomycin, polymyxin, gentamycin – antibiotics----
      Source: https://liveto110.com/flu-vaccines-are-toxic/

I wouldn't be putting this shit in my body at will. I've never had a flu shot in my life, and never will, I've had the flu twice (that I can remember) in my 43 years, both after running myself into the ground, and not eating property. I believe you can avoid the flu (if you are really that worried about it ) without shooting yourself full of toxins.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    21. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There is no point trying to argue the pro/anti vaccination debate with people. The argument has become so polarised, so fraught, that it just leaves everyone feeling beaten up, with everyone simply retreating back to their respective corners.

Getting a serious bout of influenza is a bit like succumbing to tinnitus.
      People blessed with resilient immune systems, generally avoiding the worst that the flu can offer, look at those running to get flu vaccine, shake their heads and wonder what all the fuss is about, or perhaps judge them poorly as patsies of the drug companies. I can understand that.

But until one suffers a serious flu assault, people may not understand why folk will do anything to avoid another bout of the illness, particularly the atrocious effect it has on tinnitus.

Where I live, it has been one of the worst flu seasons in living memory. It's killed young and old and those who previously were perfectly healthy with no existing pre-conditions. The vaccines are not perfect or comprehensive. You may still get the flu after vaccination. It may be bad or it may be better than had you not had the shots. It's a bit hit and miss, I know. If you can safely avoid serious illness, particularly with tinnitus, why take needless chances?

• Like Like x 1
    22. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Exactly, that's why I won't be shooting mercury, formaldehyde and other toxins into my body anytime soon.

23. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I guess it depends where you go to get to get information on vaccines, doesn't it? (Now there's a discussion that'll take us into next week.)

While it's true that some of the listed ingredients may or may not be present in some vaccines, it's useful to remember that in the latest flu vaccines, they indeed present in such tiny volumes, that their natural presence in the human body is significantly higher.

Just to choose one of your list, formaldehyde, a pear contains fifty times more of the stuff than the latest flu shot. A two month old baby has ten times more naturally occurring formaldehyde in it's system than is present in a flu shot.

But I know you're not buying any of it, are you?

http://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/vaccine-ingredients

• Like Like x 1
    24. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      If you know I'm not buying any of it, why are you asking me?

Why did you choose formaldehyde and not mercury? And what about the rest of the ingredients? Let me guess, all safe?

The Flu vaccines contain mercury, a heavy metal known to be hazardous for human health. The amount of mercury contained in a multi-dose flu shot is much higher than the maximum allowable daily exposure limit. Mercury toxicity can cause memory loss, depression, ADD, oral health problems, digestive imbalances, respiratory problems, cardiovascular diseases and many more such serious health ailments.

There is mounting evidence that flu shots can cause Alzheimer’s disease. One report shows that people who received the flu vaccine each year for 3 to 5 years had a 10-fold greater chance of developing Alzheimer’s disease than people who did not have any flu shots.

Link: https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.bewellbuzz.com/general/10-reasons-flu-shots-dangerous-flu/amp/

If you are that worried about the flu killing you, and you actually believe that the shot reduces your chances enough that you are willing to take the risk, go for it! And if you tell me there are no risks, I definitely know that you are full of it.

25. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh c'mon mate, you can do better than that! You're quoting me BeWellBuzz, a blog run by those world renowned 'experts' on vax safety, Larry and Oksana Ostovsky, nutritionist 'entrepreneurs'. Who do they use as references? Infowars, a right wing conspiracy outlet, Shirley's Wellness Cafe and Vaclib, amongst others, highly dubious propagators of 'alternative' health information. At least I used Oxford University as my source, an institution with a bit more scientific credibility.

I chose formaldehyde for sake of brevity. My link goes into detail about mercury, explaining its absence from latest flu vaccines, left out for sake of caution rather than definitive danger. It explains the difference between methyl mercury and ethyl mercury and how the latter is water soluble and quickly eliminated from the body.

The link mentions an Australian study of a million children, showing no link between thiomersal and autism. It addresses each of your concerns one by one. But I think I could present a truckload of evidence to you and you would resolutely hold firm to your views on this issue.

Vaccination is just one those subjects, like religion, abortion, etc. People arrive at an opinion and lock onto it evermore. I've seen friendships breakup over the issue. People are simply that passionate about it. I get it!

I'm no apologist for big pharma Telis. I recognise that they can be a ruthless, greedy, dishonest pack of bastards. Which is why I try to rely on the opinions of predominantly independent, scientific, evidence based researchers and academics.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You linked the location of the CDC, not where they actually said it was in the flu vaccine. Thimerosal for one is only in multi dosage vials to prevent contamination; it is used as a preservative to prevent microbial growth. Pre filled syringes do not contain thimerosal, and most vaccines do not contain thimerosal at all. It's also important to note that thimersoal is not mercury in its elemental form. Moreover, in the vaccines that contain thimersoal, it is in such a small quantity that it is negligible.

Believe it or not, these things are put into vaccines for a reason and not to poison the population.
      I could go through each of these and provide an explanation, but considering you just cut and pasted this from a crackpot website instead of sifting through actual research, I won't waste my time. You have the resources to do your own investigation, however, it does take some understanding of biology to understand why these things are included. I am critical and skeptical about a lot of things here, but I research them to formulate my own opinions.

I will admit, of all the vaccines out there, the annual flu vaccine is one of the least necessary. I don't get it every year, but if it is convenient I'll do it. That being said, strict anti-vaxxers make my head explode. They are alarmist without having any understanding of they are talking about.
      As it turns out vaccines have done a lot of good...
      vaccine-infographic.jpg

• Agree Agree x 3
    27. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I'm the only one in my workplace who refused to get a flu shot, and I'm the only one who didn't get this year's flu.

28. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    29. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Bobbie7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress, sinus infection
      My husband and I both have tinnitus and do plan on getting the flu shot. We had one last year and it had absolutely no negative effect upon us. A few years ago we neglected to get a flu shot; he got the flu, shortly after I did and it was one of the most miserable experiences which I still recall to this day. There is NO way we are going to miss it this year! I think there is more danger in not getting it.

• Like Like x 1