ARCHES Tinnitus Formula

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Karen, Apr 21, 2012.

1. vickilynn
      Bookworm

vickilynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Can't remember
      Well, so far the Arches hasn't made any change in my T. But I'll probably continue to take them just to get rid of them since I did pay for them.

2. Gene B

Gene B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2013
      For what its worth, I tried the recommend for T Ginkgo Biloba Gold and 100% zinc is in my multi-vitamin--no change in T.

3. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Hi Gene , Niacine , magnesium and B12 have helped me a lot.

4. inadmin

inadmin Member

@Sherri786 Hi again are you sure the niacin has to be taken before breakfast? Not after eating or during? How did you come to the 500mg dosage?

Also, can you tell me what levels of tinnitus you had before and after the supplements?

TIA

5. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Hi , well I've arrived at all the conclusions by trial and error since getting t. All the doctors I've been to have been zero help. I noticed that Niacin works well on empty stomach, I would wake up from sleep due to loud T and take a pill out of desperation ! Then I realized taking later in the day was not helping much. 500 mg ...well I saw the bottle at the pharmacy and thought I would need this much strength due to the loudness. I think the level of t has dropped by about 80 % since March, and now I only get spikes when I eat the wrong foods and not follow my healthy diet.
      The spikes are also not as horrible as before. My concern now is how long to continue with the same supplements, however too scared to stop the supplements. I had horribly loud electric kettle hissing, cicadas, crickets, static sounds, chimes, now it's mostly a swooshing type sound.

• Creative Creative x 1
    6. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      @Sherri786:

Speaking of supplements, did you start with CoQ10? If so, has it helped?

-Golly

7. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      No I've not tried Coq10 yet and I've been wondering whether or not to take a break from magnesium , b12, and Niacine and start co enzymes. In the 1st three months I took zinc , ginkgo, lipo flavonoids everyday and sometimes resveratrol, did not feel these did much for t.

8. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      * or maybe they did help in the long run, don't know.

9. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      @Sherri786;

I guess it would be more scientific to try things one at a time. However, your end-goal is to feel as good as possible, not necessarily determine exactly why (a job left to the researchers). So---*assuming the proposed cocktail is deemed safe*---you could always add in CoQ10 and see if there is an improvement.

Of course, at any stage you could do things in reverse: quit one of the compounds in your regimen and see if you feel worse. If not, stop taking it for good. Of course, all this assumes that none of the compounds interacts with another, which may not be the case.

-Golly

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Just saw this post. Thanks for the info. I was almost going to buy some, I'll stick with my raw garlic and Zinc pills.

11. Tom KW
      Fine

Tom KW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
    12. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
    13. Tom KW
      Fine

Tom KW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Hello Stephen,

It's not that I thought it actually worked, I was wondering if anybody had tried this. Reading what was posted on their website, it seemed that they took great care and refining all their products to be the best, of course you have to take into account that they are trying to sell their product, i'm always skeptical that were looking at another snake oil salesman.
      -Tom

14. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Yes, they are quite good at it, aren't they?

Stephen Nagler

15. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      If you look at the ingredients there aren't any that have been proven to help tinnitus, not in any robust trials anyway. There are 3 stated active ingredients:

Gingko Biloba studies have reviewed by Cochrane; only 4 studies were found to be reliable enough to be included and the result was:

The limited evidence does not demonstrate that Ginkgo biloba is effective for tinnitus when this is the primary complaint.

And for Zinc, the Arches people reference some studies. The first was to measure if zinc affected audiometric performance http://www.aurisnasuslarynx.com/article/S0385-8146(02)00145-1/abstract. They claim to have measured lower zinc levels in patients with tinnitus, but this was a study of 73 people. It's an interesting find but it certainly is not robust enough to prove anything, it's the sort of study that leads to a properly controlled trial.

This study http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12544035 was not double blind so physician bias could be in play, plus they detected no significant improvement. Although the wording on the abstract is 'spun' to make it sound like they did.

Finally garlic. No studies on if it helps tinnitus at all.

So in summary, after a look at the evidence I can see no concrete proof that this product works at all. The article on their website does not attempt to address whether the trials for the ingredients are well controlled enough.

Many people do try supplements; if you feel like you want to then you can buy the ingredients for less individually.

16. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Yea, but they haven't been proven not to help tinnitus, either. And besides, even though individually they might not help tinnitus, perhaps they do in combination? I mean it's possible, right?

Like I said, these guys are very good at what they do.

It's not everybody that can scam the public for so long and continue to get away with it.

Stringplayer's Second Law: "The degree to which a person will apply common sense and logic in search of relief from a malady is inversely proportional to the square of that person's misery and desperation."

Stephen Nagler

17. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I don't suppose Arches did their own double blind study on their own products? The last ENT I went to (about 2 weeks ago) said it helped about half the people who used it he thought. That was just his honest opinion when I asked him. He thought it would be somewhat of a pain to buy all the ingredients separately.

I am not affiliated with Arches in any way, just telling you what I heard from the ENT, for whatever that's worth.
      Steve. could be right that it's worthless and maybe some of the people taking it get a placebo effect.

Talking to a Psychologist for one session @$200/hour could be worthless too. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, just my experience.

18. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      If they did, they would only publish favorable results. Do you think they'd do their own study and then actually publish data showing that their product was worthless?

And it is important to understand the concepts of reliability and verifiability when assessing such studies. The methodology must be sound (reliability) AND the results must be replicated by an independent investigator (verifiability).

These folks don't care about reliability and verifiability. All they care about is Stringplayer's Second Law. (See post #46 above.)

Like I said, they are very very good!

Stephen Nagler

19. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's a very interesting point @just1morething

I can't see any evidence that they have attempted to conduct any trial of their own. And that does seem strange considering how convinced they are of the combination of ingredients. The attached image is from their site, no studies of their product, only the ingredients.

If I had a belief in my product I would want to conduct a robust trial to show the world that it worked. Imagine what that would do for sales?

They could advertise a proven study that they have a product that works. I would probably buy it myself in that case - as long as the study was properly conducted and verified by an independent source.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I don't think it's strange at all!

Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 1
    21. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's sometimes difficult to convey sarcasm in text, but it was in my thoughts when I wrote it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. Tom KW
      Fine

Tom KW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      I think I'm going to stick with my Regiment of, magnesium, zinc, and super B complex, this seems to be helping me, although I do have my days when I have my spikes. I think after reading a few of these posts I might throw in a little bit of niacin, I suppose it couldn't hurt.:)

23. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      If I may ask, how exactly does it seem to be helping you?

Stephen Nagler

24. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      I tied Arches, hell I have and will try almost anything..The money could have been better spent on a nice steak dinner and a bottle of good Canadian whiskey.

25. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Exactly.

Friends, if Arches Tinnitus Formula could predictably do what Arches wants you to believe it can do, then the Arches folks would have long ago been awarded a Nobel Prize.

Same for LLLT and all the other snake oil scams out there.

Stephen Nagler

26. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I do see quite a few people helped by Arches on the Amazon reviews. I wouldn't think they would be "planted" by someone associated with Arches, but I guess you never know.

27. jchinnis

jchinnis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1989
      If Arches worked, it would be a simple matter to do a randomized controlled trial and prove it. A proven tinnitus remedy would make the Arches people fabulously wealthy in short order.

They haven't done such a trial.

And the only unusual ingredient--ginkgo biloba--has been shown not to work in a huge randomized controlled trial in the UK.

A lot of tinnitus cures are prepared by combining a few ingredients not usually seen together. That way, when a clinical trial shows an ingredient not to work, they can still claim their magic concoction is different.

Jim

28. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Yea, about the same number of folks who have been helped by orange juice. No reason for anybody to write that up on the Amazon reviews, though.

Stephen Nagler

29. jchinnis

jchinnis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1989
      Yes. And I always subtract the company's staff size from the number of positive Amazon reviews for a supplement or device.

• Agree Agree x 2
    30. Tom KW
      Fine

Tom KW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Hi Stephen
      although I have no absolute proof, I would like to think that they are helping me to some degree. when my T first started it was much louder and a much much higher pitch which was very distracting, i've been taking this little cocktail for about 8 to 9 months and lately my pitch has gotten lower, more like a hissing, I still have my spikes but some days I actually have quiet time this is great. I understand these supplements are good for ear health, so I guess either they are helping or certainly doing no harm.
      - Tom