ARCHES Tinnitus Formula

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Karen, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
    2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      supplementfact-tinnitus.gif '
      The above are the supplement facts for Arches Formula for tinnitus.

Ginkgo biloba doesn't do much anything for most people's tinnitus, it acts as a natural vasodilator, i.e. may theoretically improve tinnitus via improved blood flow. Still, even if it only helped every thousandth tinnitus sufferer at least a little, many are tempted to try it out. I have too.

http://www.bmj.com/content/322/7278/73.full
      Results: There were no significant differences in primary or secondary outcome measures between the groups. 34 of 360 participants receiving active treatment reported that their tinnitus was less troublesome after 12 weeks of treatment compared with 35 of 360 participants who took placebo.
      And some more info on Dr. Nagler's site: http://home.comcast.net/~nagler/ginkgo.html

The Arches formula is quite expensive considering you can get Garlic extract, Ginkgo biloba and Zinc separately much, much cheaper on health stores.

Okay, with separate supplements, you would need to take 3-4 capsules instead of Arches' 2 capsules.

If one buys 4 bottles of Arches Tinnitus Formula, it costs $29.95 * 4 = $119.80.
      4 bottles contain 400 capsules, 1 capsule contains 120 mg of Ginkgo, 150 mg of Deodorized Garlic and 7,5 mg of Zinc.
      For $119.80 you get 48 grams of Ginkgo, 60 grams of Garlic and 3 grams of zinc.

I'm comparing these facts with the prices on iHerb (as of April 22nd, 2012).
      Doctor's Best Extra Strength Ginkgo costs $6.72. 120 mg of Ginkgo per capsule. 120 capsules. 14.4 grams of Ginkgo in total. We would need 3.33 bottles of Doctor's Best Ginkgo to achieve 48 grams of Ginkgo, so let's make it 4 bottles.
      Four bottles of Doctor's Best Ginkgo: $6.72 * 4 = $26.88. 57.6 grams of Ginkgo.

Nature's Bounty Odorless Garlic costs $12.09. 1 gram of Garlic per capsule. 250 capsules. 250 grams of Garlic in total.

Now Food's L-OptiZinc costs $5.73. 30 mg of Zinc per capsule. 100 capsules. 3 grams of Zinc in total.

So... $26.88 + $12.09 + $5.73 = $44.70! Compared to Arches' $119.80 (and that price is only when you buy 4 or more bottles at once).

That's not all: you also get 9.6 grams more of Ginkgo, 190 grams more of Garlic and the same amount of Zinc while you save a whopping of $75.10 of money. That's almost a saving of 63%, and even more if you take into account the fact that you are getting more Ginkgo and Garlic.

So that in mind, I'd avoid Arches (and putting that much profit in the pockets of those who make money off of tinnitus sufferers some of whom are mistakenly willing to pay these exorbitant prices...).

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Thanks for all the information! Markku, you've convinced me the Arches Formula is not worth it, that it's cheaper to buy the separate ingredients. Same with the Lipoflavinoid.

I've tried gingko, too, without much success. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance, though. I have not yet tried zinc; I'm taking so many supplements now that I'd have to add that to the arsenal! I believe I've heard that you have to be careful with zinc --- otherwise, you can mess up the body's natural zinc/copper balance.

4. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hi,

Wondering if anyone has tried this properly, for at least the length of time they suggest? Seems like another scam as it doesnt have any unusual ingredients in it but those testimonials do look convincing.

http://www.tinnitusformula.com/success-stories

5. adam2525
      Balanced

adam2525 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Louise,

No I haven't tried it. Last year I was thinking about it and didn't follow through. However I did check the ingredients and worked out that If bought each individual supplement seperately from my local heath shop I would save a small fortune. So maybe in the new year I may do a DIY version using the same supplements, same dosage and cheaper price.

I don't think they can do any harm, but I would be gobsmacked if they really made a difference.

Adam

6. Niko

Niko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nightclub
      Ginkgo biloba, Zinc picolinate and Garlic wouldn't convince me. There are other more complex remedies one can try.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Yes, I was thinking the same as you both. But those testimonials are very convincing.

8. rogi

rogi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Convincing? They're just some made up stories... The thing is that all those kind of websites don't provide a form where i can put my own story/experience and directly post it. Just like this scam http://www.tinnitusmiracle.com/
      Always random people telling how great the product is. Just marketing...

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Niko

Niko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nightclub
      It's just marketing, neither false nor true. Maybe those people felt better, maybe it really helped or it too could have been a placebo effect, they will post those that said something positive.
      Marketing is always going try to convince us how good one product is in all markets, it's nothing we can do about it.

• Like Like x 1
    10. adam2525
      Balanced

adam2525 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I think if they really worked we would all know about it. On the various tinnitus forums I haven't heard of one "Arches Tinnitus Formula" success story...not one!

As I wrote above, if anyone wants to give it a go, buy the supplements seperately. You will save money and you won't be putting cash in the Arches bank account.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. julie

julie Guest

I am new to the site. I have been taking the Arches Tinnitus formula now for 3 month's. It took
      About two full bottles before I noticed a difference. Slowly my high pitched constant sound is less loud
      And the pitch has lowered. It isn't gone but it is better. I will continue taking and post again.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    12. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      What convinced you to take it in the first place? Why not separate supplements which would have saved you a nice amount of cash?

How did you get tinnitus? It's great you are feeling better though.

What's interesting about Arches is this: http://www.tinnitusformula.com/library/the-science-behind-the-product/

The studies referenced have used the regular Ginkgo biloba extract. There is just a general lack of information on the Arches site how their Ginkgo is more "pharmaceutical grade" than the rest of the Ginkgo supplements.

If you look at: http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-ginkgo-biloba-extract-120-mg-300-capsules

Ginkgo Biloba Extract (Standardized to 24% ginkgo flavonglycosides and 6% terpene lactones)(leaves)

Which is pretty normal for Ginkgo.

And Arches' Supplement Facts below:
      supplementfact-tinnitus.gif
      The same thing is seen here, 24% of ginkgo flavone glycosides and 6% terpene lactones.

Superior? Doubt it...

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Ginkgo-Biloba-120-mg-200-Vcaps/583
      -> d8DivC0.png

One thing that can play a part is the placebo effect. If one buys a product marketed specifically for tinnitus, the results expected can be greater than would be for "regular" supplements that don't have tinnitus plastered over the product. I think.

13. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Agree with Markku and everything! :)

14. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Here is a new study and further proof Gingko is not effective for tinnitus.

Ginkgo biloba for tinnitus

BACKGROUND:
      This is an update of a Cochrane review first published in The Cochrane Library in Issue 2, 2004 and previously updated in 2007 and 2009.Tinnitus can be described as the perception of sound in the absence of external acoustic stimulation. At present no specific therapy for tinnitusis acknowledged to be satisfactory in all patients. There are a number of reports in the literature suggesting that Ginkgo biloba may be effective in the management of tinnitus. However, there also appears to be a strong placebo effect in tinnitus management.

OBJECTIVES:
      To assess the effect of Ginkgo biloba in patients who are troubled by tinnitus.

SEARCH METHODS:
      We searched the Cochrane Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Group Trials Register; the Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials (CENTRAL); PubMed; EMBASE; AMED; Web of Science; BIOSIS Previews; Cambridge Scientific Abstracts; ICTRP and additional sources for published and unpublished trials. The date of the most recent search was 12 March 2012.

SELECTION CRITERIA:
      Adults (18 years and over) complaining of tinnitus or adults with a primary complaint of cerebral insufficiency, wheretinnitus forms part of the syndrome.

DATA COLLECTION AND ANALYSIS:
      Both original authors independently extracted data and assessed trials for quality. For the 2012 update two authors determined trial eligibility, extracted data, analysed data and updated the contents of the review.

MAIN RESULTS:
      Four trials with a total of 1543 participants were included in the review; we assessed all the included studies as having a low risk of bias. Three trials (1143 participants) included patients with a primary complaint of tinnitus and one (400 participants) included patients with mild to moderate dementia, some of whom had tinnitus.There was no evidence that Gingko biloba was effective in patients with a primary complaint oftinnitus. In the study of patients with dementia, mean baseline levels of tinnitus were low (1.7 to 2.5 on a 10-point subjective symptom rating scale). A small but statistically significant reduction of 1.5 and 0.7 points was seen in patients taking Gingko biloba with vascular dementia and Alzheimer's disease respectively. The practical clinical significance of this is unclear. The incidence of side effects was low.

AUTHORS' CONCLUSIONS:
      The limited evidence does not demonstrate that Ginkgo biloba is effective for tinnitus when this is the primary complaint.

• Like Like x 1
    15. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Heyd Erik!

I tried gingko for many months. Stopped taking it as I was eliminating some supplements. I was taking tons!

I found no change in the T when I stopped.

16. vickilynn
      Bookworm

vickilynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Can't remember
      Sorry if I missed it but I only had time to skim. Has anyone tried the Arches Tinnitus formula and gotten any results from it. I haven't read everything single thing everywhere on this board. I know Arches has been mentioned but I forgot where I saw it. Was thinking of ordering some.

17. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Arches formula is basically just vitamins. So unless your T is caused by some vitamin deficiency, most likely will not work. This stuff has been around for years and if it really did help that much we would all be using it. Better to save your money, eat good diet and exercise.

18. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I am using them right now.... I think its worth as shot... 3 months for the price of a doctor visit. And then you don't have to get all your separate ingredients. Dr. Wazen at Silverstein Ear. Inst. in Florida recommends it. His nurse told me that in Jan. 2013 by phone. I use it along with Gabapentin + Klonopin. At worse it could be a rip off lol. I bought it thru Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Arches-Tinnitus-Formulas-Combo-Pack/dp/B003HETRBE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1382633349&sr=8-2&keywords=arches tinnitus formula

• Like Like x 5
    19. vickilynn
      Bookworm

vickilynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Can't remember
      Unfortunately I don't know what's causing it. But won't hurt to try a few things, I just am trying to decide what to try based on some of the things I've read here.

• Like Like x 1
    20. vickilynn
      Bookworm

vickilynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Can't remember
      Thx, if I do try it I don't want to buy a bunch of formulas to go with it. Or I could just try some Magnesium and Ginkgo which has also been suggested.

21. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      It can't really hurt you to try it. I support you guys in whatever you want and need to do.

The main issue with supplements in general is that since they are not regulated, you never know for sure if whats on the label is actually in the product. That is why I pay money and subscribe to Consumer Labs. They independently test supplements and regularly find supplements lacking in key ingredients or levels of those key ingredients especially all in one type supplements.

I am not saying Arches is the same way, but it is heavily marketed, been around for many years and if it really did work for a majority of people it would the gold standard in treating tinnitus. And it is not.

Also, I have never been a big fan of all-in-one supplements because taking them all at once might not be as beneficial with different vitamins and minerals competing all at once. Certain supplements have different requirements for maximum absorption. Some are best absorbed on an empty stomach. Others are best with food. Some are absorbed best with fats etc. Some are not absorbed very well anyway.

As it has been said many times in the past, we have to be our own guinea pigs and find out what works for us and what doesn't. Even if you are told something doesn't work or is a waste of money, sometimes you need to make that determination yourself. I was told the same thing in the beginning of my T, but I felt I needed to do something about my T so I did spend hundreds of dollars on supplements. Did any of them work? Not really, but I find a few that helped. And I needed to find out these answers for myself so I could move on to other things if I needed to. This is all only part of the natural progression of dealing with T and being human. Whatever you choose to do you have the support of most people here.

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    22. vickilynn
      Bookworm

vickilynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Can't remember
      It all sounds so complicated. :eek: But trial and error I guess. The volume on my T may have gone back down a tad. At least when I woke up in the middle of the night last night, I didn't feel like it was blaring at me like the night before.

23. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      Looks like the votes are already in but I'll cast mine anyway..I tried Arches at the beginning. It was a total waste of money. You can just buy the supplements separately and save some bucks.

Maybe they will help, maybe not. But no use in spending big bucks for something you can get cheaper and quicker at the local drug/healthfood store.

24. vickilynn
      Bookworm

vickilynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Can't remember
      Well I already ordered some so at least if that doesn't do a lot of good I can rule it out.

25. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      The bucks saved is miniscule, if it helps at all. I spent ridiculous amounts of money-- 10-20k perhaps on ear injections that made Shea a lot of money and Paparella too. A lot of it is driven by insurance money collected by (some) doctors for their self serving ways. Dr. Wazen's nurse told me to use them as I was going to see him in Jan., but did not so far.
      I do like the convenience of having everything packaged together, as I don't personally have the time to buy all the separate ingredients, as I am busy now. I will do a better evaluation later, which may in fact be negative--time will tell. I can't say I know more than a ENT doctor at the present time.

-just1morething:D

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    26. vickilynn
      Bookworm

vickilynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Can't remember
      Well, I got the Arches and have started taking it. We'll see. At least, the loud spike seems to have gone down a bit, it's not bothering me quite as much.

• Like Like x 1
    27. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Do keep us updated pls, thank you !

28. vickilynn
      Bookworm

vickilynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Can't remember
      Got 4 bottles of the stuff. Some have said it didn't do a thing for the tinnitus but maybe the Ginko will help me think better, ha. How's your T doing? I can hear mine but when I start thinking on other things I don't notice it.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    29. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      Hey all, I took Arches in the beginning because of the recommendation of my father's best friend and business partner. He has tinnitus from repeated panic attacks, so his and his doctor's guesses are that he has some kind of vascular issue causing his tinnitus related to the anxiety disorder. (He had the panic attacks chronically first, not panic attacks from tinnitus)

Anyway, he is an electrical engineer. His wife worked at Stanford Hospital in CA. He's a scientist through and through and said Arches was the only thing that ever did him any good and he believed it really helped based on his own little off again on again mini control studies. Since his is vascular, it makes sense that ginko/herbs/etc. might help. Who knows.

So I tried it for the allotted amount of time and I don't think it did anything really, but I also do not think it should be labeled snake oil right off. The guy who made them is, I think, actually trying to help. He has tinnitus (of unknown cause) himself and has amassed a treasure-trove of tinnitus related information on his site. While the herb stuff hasn't helped me, that library absolutely has.

He writes a newsletter and answers people's questions monthly. His answers are not "take my formula and it will be fixed", he seems as honest as he can be and seems to (from my humble knowledge) give the same kind of heart-felt advice as anyone here would give. I just don't think we should be so quick to judge, I think he's just one of us trying desperately to do something with the hand he was dealt. Is he getting a profit, yes, but I don't think that necessarily makes him a scam artist. I don't regret trying it and it certainly will not hurt you to do so - as some have said, it was a way cheaper experiment than other things I tried in the beginning :)

It probably sounds like I work for Arches by now (haha), but I really don't - He could be counting his ginko money in a big pile laughing at all of us and I'm just way too warm/fuzzy/forgiving of people, but I don't think he's as bad as the tinnitus miracle guy and it could be worth a shot :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    30. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Anyone in the uk who wants to try this stuff dont buy Achers £38 for 100 is ridiculous.
      For example get the same standardised extract of Ginko from simply supplements 360 for £8.89

Then get the garlic from them and source the Zinc piclonate ,cheap as chips.

• Agree Agree x 1