Are There Severe Hyperacusis Cases Who Haven't Posted Success Stories?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Zugzug, Jul 8, 2020.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      LindaS, that's so sweet of you. I'm having a hard time with outlook right now. I haven't found one success story that resembles my problem (in terms of presentation) so viewing certain things can be bitter sweet. Nature is beautiful, and in fact, the last trip I took with my parents was in nature. I feel like I've died and every day I'm seeing things that I'll never experience again. Nature is probably something I'll be able to experience again, but other things I'm not sure.

2. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Zugzug curious if you’ve done any tests for autoimmune?

Earlier this year my ENT recommended I investigate autoimmune disorder as a possible underlying cause since my severe hyperacusis has persisted so long without improvement (over 5 years in a severe state) and my hearing threshold tests fluctuate beyond the normal variability range. So I went to the immunologist the ENT referred me to, and did two blood tests, one for inner autoimmune inner ear disease (AIED) and one for Sjogrens. Both came up negative, though my understanding is that the AIED blood test is not fully definitive.

3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I'm sympathetic. I used to be unable to type on my laptop's keyboard because it would hurt my ears. Same with crumpling paper and other low volume sounds.

This went 99% away after I had my stapedotomy. I still have some H in some circumstances but it's very manageable.

Good luck to you. Hang in there.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zugzug

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This is precisely where I'm at. I actually have a whole backstory of autoimmune symptoms for the past 5 years. Sjogren's syndrome is suspected to be the main driver. I have one positive blood marker, but my rheumatologist wants me to get a lip biopsy before we go nuts with immunosuppressants. Unfortunately, my H is so severe right now that I can't get in the car.

AIED is something you can't really test for. The blood test is highly dubious, with many false positives and negatives. I may be one of the "lucky" ones in that I could get diagnosed as being part of a systemic disease. We will see.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zugzug

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm happy to see yours improved. I'm interested that you say your "ears," as in plural. Isn't otoslerosis usually unilateral?

6. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yes, my mistake, I meant to write "ear".

As for otosclerosis, it is usually bi-lateral, but the disease doesn't generally attack both ears at the same time: there is a lag between the first and second ear, so patients generally have some amount of time with only one ear being affected.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zugzug

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very interesting. This is not a theory I have looked at closely since my tympanometry and middle ear test was normal. Plus, my hearing problems came on super suddenly. I read that autoimmunity can be at play with this disorder, which would align with my other symptoms for the past 5 years.

Was your tympanometry normal? Did it come on gradually?

8. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What is the suspected mechanism behind otosclerosis causing pain hyperacusis? Is it connected somehow to stapedius reflex? And how does surgery help with it?

I know that the surgery didn't solve the tinnitus, but I'm so glad that it lessened this much your hyperacusis.

9. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Nope. It wasn't. I was missing my stapedial reflex in the affected ear. The doctor, of course, didn't mention it. I only figured it out later as I became more educated about this condition.

No, it came on suddenly. What typically takes years/decades took just 6-8 weeks for me. No doctor has been able to explain it.

I don't know the answer to that, but clearly there was a strong causality. The surgery restored the lost mobility for the whole ossicular chain, so I assume my H was related to the "stuck in the mud" characteristics of my ossicular chain pre-op.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Same-ish for me. My tympanogram is really shallow, and my stapedial reflex is irregular. According to the - otherwise very rude - audiologist doctor, no problem though. She didn't say a world about it not being normal. After COVID-19 regulations (and my own life problems) next week I'm going to an audiology again to have a PTA.
      I read that you can have otosclerosis with normal tympanometry, but it's rare. Irregular tympanometry is more common. The ENT I saw last week said the same as Greg, that it affects both ears, but it's not typical to have bilateral tinnitus with it. Also, hyperacusis is also not a typical symptom for otosclerosis as far as I know.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zugzug

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @GregCA :

Since you are the expert, do any of these numbers look high to you? This test was performed a long time ago, when my hyperacusis wasn't even remotely this bad.

Attached Files:

• ART.jpg
        ART.jpg
        File size:
        1.1 MB
        Views:
    12. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Sorry I don't know what that table shows. I've seen many different reports templates from audiologists. Is that the result of the loudness tests? or is that simple PTA? (it doesn't look like that - it's usually a graph). Sometimes Air-Bone Gaps are shown in a table as well.

Can you scan the whole page?

13. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Kriszti

You are correct Kriszi. The most common type of hyperacusis whether it is experienced with pain or not is caused by exposure to loud noise and a person develops tinnitus from it. There is another type of hyperacusis known as vestibular hyperacusis. This is where the sound can cause a person to fall, lose balance or experience dizziness and will probably require professional help.

Hyperacusis caused by exposure to loud noise I have written about in my post: Hyperacusis, As I see it, in the link below. People whose tinnitus is not noise induced and say they have hyperacusis I do not believe this is the case. They may have an oversensitivity to sound with or without pain but it is probably caused by another problem within the auditory system.

Hyperacusis caused by exposure to loud noise often improves with time. In some cases professional help is required wearing white noise generators. This treatment needs to be under the guidance of a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist, trained in the treatment and management of tinnitus and hyperacusis. This can take up to 2 years and regular counselling is usually required.

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

14. Ava Lugo
      Irritated

Ava Lugo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      Google Street View is another good way to take an imaginary walk. I browse places like Switzerland and Austria a lot.

15. Outlaw

Outlaw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Finasteride
      Sorry to bring back an old thread, but this spiked my curiosity.

I got hyperacusis from Post Finasteride Syndrome, which has been hypotethized to be cause by a form of gene methyaliation. I have dozen of other symptoms from this disease. Is it possible it caused hyperacusis through demethylation?

16. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      So sorry this is happening to you. I did not know what Post Finasteride Syndrome was, so I looked it up. Wikipedia mentions "neurological effects" but it does not mention specifically hyperacusis or other hearing problems.

I am not sure what "demethylation" is.

Anyway, there is a neurological component in speech processing.

17. Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      My pain hyperacusis is almost gone after two years. Tinnitus is still with me.

• Like Like x 1