Attention Christians!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JohnAdams, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Earing
      No Mood

Earing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      If there was a god then it would be laughing at all the tinnitus pain.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Went two weeks ago for the first time in a month. Had to pop out a couple of times but stayed for most of it.

They were talking about hearing from God. A member of the prayer team took the mic and said he wanted to pray for someone whose hearing had become muffled and they wanted to know what God had next for them. I thought that had to be me as my hearing was definitely muffled due to my earplugs being in!

• Like Like x 1
    3. Extreme
      Paranoid

Extreme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The amount of disrespect here is really unfortunate. There is nothing negative being said by Christians here. Yet some atheists decide to spew their hate, ignorance, and sarcasm. Please post elsewhere. You certainly aren't helping anyone. And don't turn this into a debate.

In response to the first few posts, I am sure countless people, with their own sufferings, wonder the exact same things. There isn't an answer. But your faith can help you persevere.

• Agree Agree x 3
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      It's okay, let the scoffers scoff. I have no problem debating this even those that are insulting and difficult. If I doubted my belief then maybe they would offend me.

5. Extreme
      Paranoid

Extreme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It just gets so tiring. You made a positive thread, looking for positive replies. Here is just another example of how nasty atheists can get.
      Like you, I too believe in miracles. I believe I've seen miracles. That's a huge reason why I believe in God. Stay strong.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not for me, I like the debate, so long as the other party in the debate doesn't just fall back on insults, even then....

• Like Like x 1
    7. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      As a moderator, I just read through the whole thread, and couldn't find the blatant disrespect and hatred you speak of. You can use the 'report' button under any post if you spot abusive content, but this seems more like an open discussion to me, or am I missing something? Debate by the way is very much allowed :)

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    8. Extreme
      Paranoid

Extreme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I appreciate you looking it over but I never expected that. Can you please explain how post #21 either 1. invites a real discussion in any way or 2. contributes to the point of the thread ?
      Which is then quoted and approved in post #22.

9. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      I guess those posts don't really contribute to the main point of the thread. But neither do they seem particularly disrespectful, unless you feel that disagreement is in and of itself disrespectful? It certainly doesn't sound like "spewing hate" as your previous post suggested. So... let's just move on and let the thread take its (hopefully friendly) course :)

• Agree Agree x 5
    10. Extreme
      Paranoid

Extreme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      While you're trying to be fair, I have to say that if it was the other way around I wouldn't be surprised if the response was very different. It was an offensive post that had nothing to do with this thread. It was meant to attack. It was not meant to lead to a true discussion. It's not a disagreement in any way. The post does not talk about faith and tinnitus. I should not have said spewing hate but I am correct about that post being completely unnecessary. If you allow attacking posts like that, that's up to you. I'm certainly not trying to tell you how to do your job. I'm just saying it has no place here.

I am not a religious nut. However, I won't tolerate garbage like that post. As you know it was made to be offensive and was meant to be an attack.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I would not cry and beg for relief from tinnitus, from an imaginary or non-imaginary god, no matter how severe the tinnitus is - begging is beneath my dignity as a human being.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meh, the early Christians faced all kinds of attacks and many many of them were brutally tortured to death. I'm okay with the attacks. They're just words.

13. Extreme
      Paranoid

Extreme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Begging is desperation and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Shame on you for indicating otherwise. While you feel you aren't capable of it, many are breaking down and rely on their faith. I really don't give a damn what you think of it. Faith helps many people. There is nothing wrong with that.

How about you atheists just avoid this thread instead of trying to insult us? You accomplish nothing. I didn't go complaining in your thread. In the 5 pages I read I saw no one attacking you. Apparently it's too much to ask for the same in return.

• Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      3972913623_ea3350a89e.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
    15. Extreme
      Paranoid

Extreme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      John, I love your attitude. It is so refreshing. Thank you.

• Informative Informative x 1
    16. Extreme
      Paranoid

Extreme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It seems this thread has actually been mercifully spared, considering what happened in your other Christian thread. Geesh.

I would hope this is an opportunity for Christians to discuss amongst themselves their troubles and how their connection to God helps them. :huganimation:

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. glennbama

glennbama Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden Hearing Loss
      I was praying for myself every night but now I will do my best to pray for the whole forum. I too question why God let's me (us) suffer with such a menacing disease but then I remember that our next lives will be perfect AND forever. Just talking to God does give me relief and hope notwithstanding the continued ringing.

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Or the curse of death in general. Amputations, cancer, blindness, dementia, etc. God will make everything right and that is the greatest hope. It is going to happen. He lets us make our own choices, and he has let us bring sin into the world, from which, the wages thereof, are in fact death and all disease.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      I thought we all had a telephone line to God. He is not answering.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @jay777 -- Do you think it's possible we're not listening? ;)

• Like Like x 1
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      "God isn't a genie that grants my every wish, therefore he's not answering my prayers and thus doesn't exist."
      -Goofy People

22. JohnFox

JohnFox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Sudden loss of 100% hearing R ear with Tinnitus
      Ive been a Christian now for over 40 years. Ive passed through many sufferings over the years. The bible does speak about healings, and it also speaks about sufferings. I think it is a mistake to try and analyze why believers suffer, and sometimes seemingly unbearable suffering. The fact is, we live in a world where there can be incredible suffering. And believers are not exempt. I would absolutely love to be healed from this scourge of Tinnitus. No doubt, this has been my biggest physical challenge to date. After having lived a believer for over 40 years, I must say, that for the most part, our lot in life is to experience sufferings. When Jesus healed, those healings were mainly to display something about Himself. He didn't come to "fix" everybody and remove all our sufferings. He came into a very brutal harsh world to offer us Himself as our salvation. Those healings He performed helped to give us a picture of what/who He is. Fallen mankind, has a major problem.. "seeing the things of God", "walking with God",...and "hearing God" and knowing God. Sure, if God wanted to, he could physically heal us all in a second. He is God. Yet, here we sit, with this very annoying noise blaring in our heads looking even to God for some relief from this menace. Yes, I have prayed desperately to be free of this, yet I still have it. Well, without making this too long, I will say a few things concerning sufferings that I have learned over the years. First of all, how many people turn to God with a genuine heart to know Him, short of some type of "need". A need that usually involves suffering. This is a basic principle in the man and God relationship. We just don't naturally gravitate towards God as the source of our living without some form of suffering. Even after having been a Christian for over 40 years, to this day, the most personal intimate experiences with the Lord are those that involved some type of human failure or suffering. Without those failures/sufferings, I would not have gone that deep with the Lord. I would not "know" the Lord in that way. This may have been why the apostle Paul could pen the words "I rejoice in my sufferings", or "out of our weakness, we are made strong." Further, we believers know that Paul did entreat the Lord to remove the "thorn in his flesh", whereby the Lords answer was that it would remain. Remain for a purpose. "My grace is sufficient"

So, I will continue to be open to the chance that God will intervene in my physical body and free me from this uninvited guest that makes itself known of its presence every waking moment of my life. Yes, I am very open to that. At the same time, I will take comfort in knowing that all my human sufferings (not just this one), are little by little drawing myself closer to God in an ever more intimate personal relationship in my sonship in the Son, Christ. Maybe sometime I too will be able to be in that place that Paul found himself in and cry out to the Lord,.. "I rejoice in my sufferings!"

There is a verse in Romans 8:18 that reads; "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the coming glory to be revealed upon us." One might take this as making light of the often horrific sufferings endured of mankind. On the contrary, and because of the awful sufferings we are a witness too, I simply am in awe of the magnitude of the coming glory to be revealed upon us. Writing this, another scripture comes to mind. 1Corinthians 2:9, it reads; "..eye has not seen, and ear has not heard and which have not come up in mans heart; things which God has prepared for those who love Him."

So yes, here we remain, in the midst of our sufferings. Yet I do believe, that there IS a coming glory that will far exceed the magnitude of our sufferings in this present age. The bible reveals that God needs man to not only turn to Him for salvation to be regenerated to be His many sons, but further that He has a requirement that we continue to grow and mature in His life to become that eternal dwelling place that will bring this age of suffering to a close. "no more tears". To that end, it is our lot to pass through many trials and sufferings. My prayer is that when my course is over, all the human sufferings I have passed through will have not been in vain, but will have been a vehicle that leads me down a path of "knowing Him" and growing in His life in a deep, complete way. I also pray that many here on this forum will turn to God maybe for the first time. Open there hearts to God in a way that they never have before, and accept the offering He has made in His Son Christ. It wasn't the "good and healthy" people that flocked to the Lord when He walked this earth. It was the needy. That principle applies today as it did then. I also pray that those who are presently believers in this forum will continue to grow and mature in His life, and that this suffering that we all endure will not become a frustration to that purpose, but will enhance it. At the same time, I will pray for a cure for all of us. Either way, the point is, I will spend quality time with my Lord, and will get to know Him ever deeper. Come Lord Jesus.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    23. JudyM
      Frustrated

JudyM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thank you John for sharing your testimony. I too have had many life issues to deal with, but tinnitus leaves you with a hopelessness like none other. Doctors give you no hope, some simply don't understand what we are dealing with, while others seem too busy to really care. It is very disheartening. It is a hurdle that is so high we wonder if we can ever get on the other side. I for one am sure going to try, but I think we are all on our own except for the support we receive from each other. Therefore, thank you for all your positive words of wisdom.

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I can go almost all day without any tinnitus, then in the afternoon, it starts right up. After work I will usually slam 3 shots of vodka, not really enough to get me drunk but enough to make the tinnitus stop, and it does. Vodka makes my ears silence up, which is kinda bizarre because I can't recall anyone else claiming that. However, St. Paul has warned us about drinking strong drink and warns that those who do imbibe strong drink will not inherit the Kingdom of God. I feel like this is impeding my walk as a Christian but it's almost medicinal for me. The ringing stresses me out and stress can be deadly, bad for the heart.

Any Christians want to give me their opinions?

25. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Hi John, yes St Paul warned against habitual drunkenness, but he was definitely in favour for medicinal purposes. This is quite a good summation:

https://www.christianitytoday.com/b...s/personalconcerns/alittlewineforthesoul.html

• Like Like x 1
    26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, I don't have a social life anymore. I do it because it quiets my tinnitus when it flares up.

I used to have a great social life but most of my so called friends basically abandoned me when I started taking Christianity seriously.

• Hug Hug x 1
    27. JudyM
      Frustrated

JudyM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I personally don't see this as being any worse than those of us who take anxiety meds to get thru this tinnitus hell. I can't believe that God would condemn any of us for dealing with our pain as long as we are not hurting others. There are many Christians that I know who would gladly be your friend. I have friends who are Christian, non Christian and other religions. I am Christian and my husband is not, that has caused some family issues at times, so I do understand where you are coming from a Christian perspective.

• Like Like x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      thanks. that is very helpful.

29. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      You are a good man.
      You do good deeds and care for people less fortunate and down trodden.
      Don’t worry about the drink, it’s fine. Perhaps two shots occasionally instead of three, but three is no biggie.
      Your old friends sound like deuce bags.
      Don’t beat up on yourself, you are walking tall.
      A devoted husband and a great dad.
      Have a shot of vodka, it’s totally cool.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    30. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      I would view it as a medication really, I don't think there is any problem. Besides, tinnitus is such a horror that I assume we are given some slack from on high.
      Alcohol acts on gaba receptors, that may explain its calming effect. As long as your tinnitus does not bounce back high once the alcohol wears off, you are good. Mine does unfortunately.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1