Bad Spike Not Subsiding After Loud Bar — Despite Wearing Properly Inserted Earplugs

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rust, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Rust
      Fine

Rust Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (2008 initially) 2015 as I know it today
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Initially stress, but noise exposure made it worse
      Hi all,

I am currently going though a bad spike and I'm starting to worry a bit about it. I went to a loud bar for a friends birthday 10 days ago, and both ears have since been experiencing largely increased tinnitus that has not subsided in 10 days. Usually my spikes last no more than one week if I have been wearing earplugs. Plus, I have been to many louder places before with earplugs that have not affected me like this. I was there no more than two hours, I made sure to not stand next to speakers, plus I regularly went to toilet breaks or stood outside with the smokers – all seemingly to no avail.

It was loud – 95dB average on my iPhone, with 85dB lows and 100db peaks every now and then. There was no real bass, and the speakers were very mid range-y – typical of a loud/crap bar. I wore fully/properly inserted and sealed silicone earplugs the entire time (22NRR minimum). I know I was getting the full NRR stated protection, since I frequently made sure they were tightly sealed.

So, how on earth is my tinnitus worse in both ears if the maximum sound level (with plugs in) I was exposed to was 78dB, with an average of 73dB? I just do not understand.

This spike feels different from the others…and I am very worried that it is permanent. I really, really hope that is not the case.

To make things worse, I didn't even want to go. But as it was a friends birthday I succumbed, since I always seem to 'let down' friends these days by not going to their events due to my tinnitus. People can take it personally if you frequently cancel on them, but at the end of the day they do not have to live with this, and they are most likely not thinking of me now…

Any thoughts, please let me know.

Thank you all, as always,
      R

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      Hi @Rust

Tinnitus is a complex condition and decibel levels and time exposed to certain sounds don’t mean much unfortunately. Although earplugs offer some protection, if external sound is loud enough, it can pass through the mastoid bone (this is the hard piece of bone behind each ear) and reach the inner ear and irritate the cochlea. This can cause tinnitus to spike.

I am sorry to sound so sobering but your post concerns me. I advise that you need to be more careful in future of your tinnitus spiking when attending venues where loud music is played, and not put too much faith in earplugs and think that you have adequate protection because this isn’t necessarily the case, especially for someone that has tinnitus. I have written about this many times in this forum. Please see: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-earplugs-and-nightclubs.18059/ I have also written a post titled: Are spikes from tinnitus permanent: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/are-spikes-from-loud-noise-permanent.18156/

There is a good chance your tinnitus will return to baseline but try to be more careful in future by following the advice that I’ve given in the above links. I advise that you don’t listen to music through headphones even at low volume. Try to avoid quiet rooms and surroundings particularly at night. Using a sound machine by your bedside can be helpful.

Consider seeing your GP if you’re starting to feel stressed, as something can be prescribed to help you relax. St John’s Wort is also good and is herbal but have a word with your doctor before taking.

Hope that you start to feel better soon.
      All the best
      Michael

3. BrStan@

BrStan@ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hi Rust, sorry to hear that you have a hard time.

Fists a quick introduction I have T since 1999-2000, the cause was acoustic trauma(lots of weapon shooting without ear protection).

Now first I want to apologize if I offend you in any way but this is my my advice to you and you are the one who is going to decide are you going to think about it or not.

MY ADVICE:

You have T, you wear plugs, you have been visiting this nosy parties, you have your T reacting now and then.
      I think this is the time where you have to realize that you ears are struggling. With foam or any other plugs if your T is reacting when is noisy it means you should start thinking about some major changes about your lifestyle and especially visiting noisy places.
      Look, there is people with T who go clubbing with or without plugs with no change in T but there is another group of people who get affected even with protection. And unfortunately me and you are from the second group(I am sorry for my self that I have to learn that the hard way but now this is not the case).
      I know, I know you are going to say what kind of life this is going to be. So well I have already stated above that I am nobody to tell you how are you going to conduct your life but If you think that worsening your T worth it then carry on the old way.

OK now you are asking if you T is going to be that level forever and you will struggle all you life?
      Let me tell you I have a good news for you you will not. You will be your old self again and you will forget about you feelings you have now. Yor T is going to get low again can you imagine that. It is hard to believe it is really that simple although it looks that is not.
      But wait that is not everything i have some more good news i have an evidence of what I have just said.

THE EVIDENCE

Choose any profile here in TT, look for any old posting let say before 1.5 or 2 years you will notice that these people are no longer posting here.Why? Because they get better and then went with their life. If someone still do is to give you and advice that thinks get better.

MY ANSWER

Your spike will be a part of the history or hold on may be not because you will not even remember about it.
      During my 17 years of T i have had a lot of them but I always seem to improve. You will too.

-In a mean time stop calculating your db protection that night and wondering how is possible 76db to still affect your ears. As you can see nobody can give you an answer why is happening.Accept it shit happens.

-Try to relax I know it is not easy when you hear this sound every second of the day but try to let it go telling your self it is temporary and some day you will be your old self;

-Try magnesium it does work for me the 1st times, the second time, every time.Speak to your physician before you take any suppliments

-Don't ask your self why is here for longer than week give it a time not every time recovery is the same

YOU WILL GET BETTER I PROMISE.

• Like Like x 4
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rust
      Fine

Rust Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you for all the advice @Michael Leigh :)
      Appreciate it, some very useful stuff there

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rust
      Fine

Rust Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you very much @BrStan@ for your kind, thoughtful and comprehensive reply. I really appreciate it :)

I am going to bookmark you're reply and read it back every time tinnitus gets be down. I think it should give me some perspective that I will always get better in time after spikes.

Thanks again for the time you gave me and have a nice day.
      R

6. CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      Rust, did it go down again?

7. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      Sorry about your spike. As we all know, damage to the ear is cumulative. If you continually go to places with loud sound levels, even with plugs, you will continue to damage your ear if the sound is loud enough. Also 22 NRR is not a true 22 db reduction. It's more probably more in the neighborhood of half that.

https://www.noisemeters.com/apps/occ/prot-nrr.asp

From my own experiences, my spikes have always gone back to base. For my really bad spikes, it took a little over 2 weeks for things to settle down. I imagine yours will too eventually. Going forward, I would avoid bars, concerts, clubs, etc. even with protection.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rust
      Fine

Rust Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hard to say if it fully went down, since I have experienced other spikes since then. I do know that after 2-3 weeks or so I stared to get along with life more so and not worrying about it. Though, I am now going though the worst spike I have ever had due to being stuck 3m away from an ambulance siren for 20 seconds on a bus with open windows! I had my fingers in my ears hard the whole time, but that didn't seem to work. It's been going strong almost a week, and I'm not even sure if it is a spike anymore - it feels so bad that it could even be permanent.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rust
      Fine

Rust Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think I will be, thanks. Though in life there are some things that you can't avoid - like ambulance sirens (see my comment above). I hope my ears behave like yours and go down to baseline! I really thought I had this whole thing figured a year ago. It was under control and as long as I wore ear protection i was fine. Now it keeps getting worse even with my protecting my ears.

10. Flamingo

Flamingo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Do you have H?

11. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      I've found that my ears have grown more sensitive with time. What I used to be able to tolerate 10 years when I first got T are totally out of the question for me now. I will no longer go to any clubs, concerts, or anywhere else where there is loud amplified sound. I used to push the envelope because but now know I can no longer afford to do that. I also now always have ear plugs with me wherever I go just in case.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rust
      Fine

Rust Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm sensitive to loud noises, and things like ceramic dishes clinking hurt my ears - they can even cause spikes. Though, I wouldn't say that I have H. Perhaps I have it in a very minimal form, but I think most people with tinnitus have a sensitivity to noises. Any reason you ask?

13. Flamingo

Flamingo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      It seems to me that you have H, but I'm no doctor. From my own experience (and others) H can spike T. The sounds may not be harmful, but they still cause temporary spikes (that's scary, but you don't want to be afraid of sounds). I read your first posts and I understand your T increased after having your ears cleaned? You've had T since 2008, what caused it initially? When H get under control things will feel much better, I promise!

Edit: And then there is this whole discussion about ear protection..... Let's not talk about that lol. We're all different. Listen to yourself. Overprotection made my ears hyper sensitive and I became misophonic. I still don't go to movies, clubs, concerts. I don't use power tools. I live a quiet life right now, but I haven't used my ear plugs in weeks since I haven't been in an, according to me, dangerously loud situation. My H settled down, and my T improved when I started to live "normally" again. But that's just me.

14. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      @Rust ..did your spike subside ? If so , how long it took?

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rust
      Fine

Rust Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi there, it's very hard to say. I think it did improve to an extent, though I have experienced many spikes since then. Overall I feel that the level of my tinnitus has risen a bit. Each time I have got used to it, however immediately after each spike/noise expose it is never easy and also stressful.

I'm going thorough another spike right now. I was in a sandwich shop the other day and a staff member dropped a big piece of metal framing on the ceramic floor. It made a very loud crack on the floor and consequently a bad spike ensued. I was so annoyed I put my sandwich down and walked out - the girl doesn't have a clue how her slight mistake affected me. I'm just hoping it'll go down, but who knows.

I've even stopped posting on here every time since I can't even be bothered with it all.

Slowly getting more used to it? Or just giving in to it all and giving up? I don't know, but either way I've got a little better at not getting so emotional every time something happens.

R

16. sirjames
      Confused

sirjames Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tv probably
      this suggestion is probably impossible for most people, but maybe you should move out to a town in the countryside. Or at least to a quiet neighborhood. Or change to a job in a quiet neighborhood.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rust
      Fine

Rust Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      True, it has crossed my mind. Though sometimes noises can happen anywhere. For example, the noise in the coffee shop the other day could have happened in a quiet neighbourhood/countryside area. You simply cannot protect yourself from everything.

• Agree Agree x 1