Bell Tower Chimes

Discussion in 'Support' started by quietatnight, Apr 12, 2017.

1. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      Hi everyone I have not been around much because I have been doing pretty good, until yesterday. I went out to get a hair cut in a small town. I was getting out of my car and started to walk to the door witch was about about 500 feet away, when I heard the start of some kind of chiming song. At first I thought it was like an ice cream truck, but their was none around. It did not sound very loud even with my ear plugs in, but I ran quickly to the door anyway to get inside. Once I was in I asked what that sound was and I was told that it was the church a block over, and that it chimes every 6 hours. I could not hear the rest of the song once inside the building.

Anyway, I did not think too much about it, my hearing seemed ok, and my tinnitus was not louder. Once I got home about 2 hours later I noticed that my tinnitus in both ears was starting to ramp up and a few hours later I could tell that I had ended up with a spike. I could not believe it, but I did. I went to sleep early hoping that a good not sleep would rest it and get my tinnitus back to my base line as it always has in the past. But When I woke up I still had the increase. I know it's only been a day, but I'm a little worried that I may have cause a problem. I was very surprised that anything happened from this, I just hope that I can get my tinnitus back down to my baseline in a few days.

I was just wondering, if anyone else has ran in to a problem with church chimes spiking their tinnitus. I'm stunned that this even happened. It just did not seem that loud and I was only exposed to it for the 5 or 6 seconds that it took to run into the building, and of course I did have my ear plugs in.

Please let me know what you think ? Am I just over concerned ? or maybe just loosing my mind.

I will say this, I did take a look at the church before I went home, and it did not have bells in the bell tower, but it looked like it had been converted, taking out the bells and putting in some of those old out side round horn speakers, one in each direction most likely controlled by a tape, or something electronic. So it was not real bells. The bell tower was up about 60 feet off the ground. Like I said it did not seem very loud.

Thank You

Louie

Quietatnight

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @quietatnight ,
      I am positive you will be fine and with having plugs in even more sure.
      The anxiety it has caused you is more likely the reason for your spike and will soon settle over the next day or so.
      Try to relax and stay calm with relaxing music on around you and don't dwell on it and move on as the unwanted emotions will make you low.
      Chin up,

Love glynis

3. Flamingo

Flamingo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      This is your mind playing tricks on you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      glynis

Thank You and Flamingo for those encouraging words, Yep, I know that my anxioty has played tricks on my mind before and my OCD just magnifies my feelings and tinnitus. I just have to ride this one out, I'm trying to stay positive, but as we all know it's not always easy with this monster on our backs. Oh how I wish someone would come out with a cure for all of us suffering from this horrible thing. Life is just too short, and just not fair even worse as we age.

Anyway

It's nice to be able to come here for comfort when we need it, every one in our TT family is always so kind.

Thank You again

Louie

Quietatnight

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Update

This is just the start of day 4, my tinnitus is a little lower but still not back to my baseline. I'm still hoping for more improvement in the next few days. I wonder what my chances are that it will still lower down more and get at least close to my baseline again.

Anyway, I would like to hear other people's views on this that have had spikes before.

Thank You

Louie

Quiatatnight

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @glynis

It seems like you have talked to a lot of people on here that have taken predisone, I was wondering if you think it would be a good idea if I take it, I have it on hand. My event stated on tuesday I'm, seriously concidering taking it right away.

Please let me know what you think, I figured it might help.

Thank You

Louie

Quietatnight

7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I would only take it under doctors advice and with out that I could not give you permission as not medically trained.
      I can help some people that's all I can say but can have unwanted side effects also.
      Love glynis

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @glynis

I have taken it many times before, I am aware of the side effects, and yes it was prescribed by my doctor, so he knows about it. But I understand what you mean. I was not really asking you for your permission, I was more interested in your opinion on if it was a good idea to take it being it's just over the 48 hour window. And if you think that it might help in my case.

Thank You fore getting back to me though.

Louie

Quietatnight

• Like Like x 1
    9. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think that spikes like this don't necessarily have much to do with the events that we think they do; I wasn't there, but from your description it seems unlikely that the chimes (through plugs) were even the loudest thing you were exposed to that day. If you're using plugs super heavily, then it sounds like you have some sound avoidance stuff going on.

Personally I would not take prednisone because there's no good evidence to suggest that it's useful in the case of even a severe acoustic trauma, and you did not have a severe acoustic trauma. It's not a risk-free medication, by a long shot.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @linerab

Yeah, I have been asking myself the same question since it happened, I tend to agree with you that kind of low sound for only a few seconds should not have cause any hearing problems,. it seems impossible. I was stunned when the spike started up. I have been trying to figure it out the past 2 days. But thank you for your input, all of my family, and friends are telling me it's all in my head. I don't know maybe it is. I have been getting spikes for many years they always go away in a few days, you would think that I would be used to this.

Thank you

Louie

Quietatnight

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, I did end up starting the predisone, I took one dose on the first day and with in a few hours my tinnitus started to go back down and was looking good. So I took a second dose on second day and about 3 hours later my tinnitus stared to ramp up out of no where. So now I'm wondering if the second dose of predisone is the reason for the spike, or if it's just my turn for a bad day. I was very surprised that this happened. The spike was there all night and is still here this morning. I have taken predisone many times before and it has helped and I never a any problems. I don't know if I should just stop taking it, an hope that the spike will settle down back to my base line on it's own as it always has in the past or what. This should habe never of happened it's just crazy.

Any ones advice would be very helpful an appreciated, maybe someone that has taken pridsone before a lot might have an idea. I'm just really suffering and lost here I don't know what to do now. I did call the pharmacy to see how long predisone takes to get out of the body, I was told 24 hours, I was wondering what are the chances that ones the predisone is gone if my spike will return down to my baseline. I am so depressed and mad at myself for taking the predisone. Maybe I should have just waited it out I think. I'm very frustrated and in a very dark place right now. I'm just so sick of this.

Thank You

Louie

Quietatnight