Bone Conduction Headphones

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Steve H, Mar 27, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. Steve H
      Creative

Steve H Director Staff Benefactor Team Trobalt Team Tech Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      Has anyone used bone conduction headphones?

I have an ear infection, swollen eardrum, driving me nuts that I can't hear in one ear. So I want some distraction and bone conduction seems the only way to go to get some sound equally to both ears.

Amazon only seem to have the Aftershokz, any experiences, are they any good?

Steve

2. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2014
      I didnt even know that was a thing. Sounds pretty cool. Sorry to hear about the ear infection hope you feel better soon!

3. Steve H
      Creative

Steve H Director Staff Benefactor Team Trobalt Team Tech Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks, hearing isn't much fun in mono.

They do look pretty cool, think I'll get a pair tomorrow and see what they're like. I just came across them by chance a couple of days ago.

4. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      They can be pretty decent, but high levels of bone conducted sound is still high levels of sound. So be careful! I hope your ear infection clears up. Get better soon man, take it easy.

5. Steve H
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks, got some antibiotics yesterday (second time in my life I've ever taken them) so should be fixed up soon.. I was looking at a few things about the bone conduction, not saving your hearing at all just a different way of listening.

Could be excellent for masking tracks depending on the frequency response - as usual it states 20Hz-20KHz, but that means nothing. It's all about how they reproduce the sound when you get them on.

6. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/09/2013
      Do you recommend the headphones? Did they help you mask the tinnitus?

7. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Director Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Team Trobalt Team Tech Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Here are two of our members (@jazz and @Steve H) thoughts about the Aftershokz headphones (@Steve H's model was Aftershokz Sportz 3, and I believe @jazz's model might have been AfterShokz AS330F Bluez or AS500 Bluez 2 since she mentioned the bluetooth connection):
      Source:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/ultraquiet-therapy.1040/page-4#post-87482
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/ultraquiet-therapy.1040/page-4#post-87526

8. Kevin08
      Balanced

Kevin08 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      • Like Like x 1
    9. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Recently have been using the aftershokz, they are okay, the sound quality is not bad I guess, kind of hard to tell with my hearing.

I listen to them while I watch TV, I have insect sounds running so takes the edge off the T a bit without impeding the ear canal. I can still hear the TV quite well. There is some sound leakage, you are not only listening through bone conduction but picking up on the leakage through the open ear canal. If you plug your ears they actually sound fuller and cleaner but I guess this is not really the point of the design.

It would be nice if there was a balance control as my right ear has a lot more hearing loss. Maybe this is on my iPhone and I haven't looked hard enough? Or maybe it's in the myNoise app that I'm running.

Overall not bad, but not as good as I was hoping.