Books That May Help Dealing with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sven, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I've noticed that there are a few of us here from Sweden, and today I came across this book on the internet. It was released in 2013 and the writers are very experienced in treating and researching tinnitus.

Has anyone here read or read about it?

http://www.adlibris.com/se/product.aspx?isbn=9127132161

Btw, just searching the word "Tinnitus" in any online bookstore reveals plenty of titles. Perhaps this thread can be used for books that help.

I might as well buy it. My local library has it, but it's loaned out and one reservation before me. So little time right now, though. Meanwhile, I'll get in in line. Just have to find my library card. ;)

• Creative Creative x 1
    2. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      I was looking for some feed back on books that have helped people habituate to T.
      Anybody out there that has read a book that was helpful please let me / us know.
      Thanx

3. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Hey @Carlos1 , this is not really a book but i do read a lot of things by a man called Shawn Achor. He deals with positive psychology. He talks about it in a business context but you can shape it to work for your specific situation. I hope its helpful.

TEDxBloomington - Shawn Achor - "The...

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. Blair14
      Tired

Blair14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      Coping with Chronic Illness by H.Norman Wright and Lynn Ellis, can applied to T as well, currently reading and can relate to the content.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
    6. Gabri
      Jaded

Gabri Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, emotional trauma
      I read book by Peter Studenik I Cured My Tinnitus: My path to complete recovery from Tinnitus and Hyperacusis.

You can find on Amazon. He said he cured tinnitus with TRT applied by himself. I think for all with Tinnitus that do not have a know cause, no hearing loss or ENT problems, the cure is in our brain, we need to treat noise as neutral and limit our negative emotions. He listened to pink/white noise 8 hours a day, under level or tinnitus. I try to do same, but is hard sometimes to complete the 8 hours. I do not have any results so far, but it takes time.

Anybody else tried something similar?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      • Winner Winner x 1
    9. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      • Funny Funny x 3
    10. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      • Funny Funny x 1
    11. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Oops, busted by mom! :angelic:

Just teasing, you’re the best, Glynis! :huganimation:

12. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @glynis - I have read numerous books on Tinnitus, but the most informative and helpful has been @Cheza’s book,
      “Living With Tinnitus.”
      Excellent overview, but also fine detail on treatment methods.
      I return time and again to Dr Hubbard’s Story, where he uses deliberate exposure to ‘his’ sounds in a CBT approach.
      It reflects the method I use.
      Cheza has produced a book of great value. xx

• Like Like x 1
    13. Bassplayer

Bassplayer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      • Like Like x 1
    14. monkey legs

monkey legs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1991 (Low level). Worse Dec 2017 to Now
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear injury (paintball) 1991. 2017 > Onwards Cause? Not sure.
      Hey folks,

Any good book recommendations for Tinnitus management/Chronic illness?

Many thanks.

15. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      Moderators please take this down if I've broke the rules, not sure I'm allowed to post book reviews.

A couple weeks ago I purchased "Take Control of Your Tinnitus Here's How" by Neil G. Bauman.

I'm very new to this T thing and admit I can only read the book in small doses because it makes me focus on my T more. I'm currently on page 166 and just finished reading a Chapter 17 titled "Focus on Things Other Than Your Tinnitus."

Reading that chapter got me excited and motivated. Not only did Mr. Bauman tell me what I should be doing he broke it down into small steps of how to do it. Many on this forum say, "Stop focusing on your T and do something you love." which is great advice but it can be difficult to take that first step while you're still reeling. I may have to read this short chapter daily for the next few weeks or months to remind myself what I should be doing.

If you're looking for a magic pill to cure T this book isn't going to have it. If you'e looking for a chant to make you forget about T this book isn't going to have it. If you want an easy to read book about the steps people go through after learning they have T, possible treatments and methods of habituation this is a great book. Mr. Bauman touches on everything that has to do with T and lets the reader go down whichever path they choose. Mr. Bauman recommends always being on two separate paths so if one doesn't work the other may.

I often find myself closing the book for a minute and thinking to myself, "Wow, that's such a simple concept. I can do that." At this stage of T moving to the next step is a challenge but when I'm ready I know what the next step is.

If you're new to T and lost and confused like all of us are I recommend "Take Control of Your Tinnitus Here's How" by Neil G. Bauman.

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I just finished reading the book, Tinnitus - Transforming the Way You Think to Help Control the Ringing in Your Ears, by Paul D'Arezzo, M.D., published Oct., 1997, Marcellina Mountain Press.

From the back cover: "Whether you have just developed tinnitus or have had it for a long time, this book can make a difference in your life".

Dr. D'Arezzo is a former ER doctor that acquired a severe case of tinnitus, and has come up with some very original, and useful, mental and physical strategies for dealing with it. I am looking forward to implementing as many of his tips that I can. The author says that these techniques can be used on their own, or in conjunction with therapy.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    17. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      For those with cervical tinnitus, I think that 'Chapter 4 Cervical Spine Trauma' is the best source of grouped information. It's very long and is free to view. I have placed the link here before, so a search - Chapter 4 Cervical Spine Trauma is all that needed.

• Winner Winner x 1