Cannabidiol (CBD) — Epidiolex

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by StoneInFocus, Sep 14, 2022.

1. StoneInFocus
      Fine

StoneInFocus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing damage, ear infections
      Cannabidiol (CBD) is a non-psychoactive cannabinoid found in the cannabis plant. It is available on prescription under the brand name Epidiolex as an anti-epilepticum. Some people on Tinnitus Talk have reported improvements in their tinnitus and hyperacusis after taking CBD in one form or another. Based on a scanning of the various threads dedicated to this substance, I am under the impression that most of the user experiments have been conducted with full spectrum CBD oil. The results of these experiments have been mixed, according to a poll of one of these threads, some people reported improvements, some reported a deterioration of their condition or severe side effects, but the vast majority did not notice any improvements at all. I suspect that these mixed results are due to several factors:
      1. Users have been experimenting with different dosages of CBD.
      2. Users have been experimenting with different concentrations of THC in their CBD product. Some people for instance reported an induction of anxiety after consuming a full spectrum CBD product.
      3. Users consumed incorrectly labelled CBD products. Multiple studies have found out that a lot of the commercially available CBD oils do not contain the same amounts of CBD and THC as is stated on the package.
      4. CBD products such as oils available in drug stores contain significantly less CBD than is used in the treatment of epilepsy.
      5. In the treatment of epilepsy, only CBD isolate is used. No other cannabinoids are present in Epidiolex.
      Now is also the first time that we have a theoretical explanation for the potential tinnitus and hyperacusis treating properties of CBD, which warrants another thread on 'Treatments' instead of on the alternative treatment section. A research published in February 2022 found that administration of cannabidiol opened Kv7.2/7.3 channels in hamsters. These particular potassium channels are also the subject of Professor Thanos Tzounopoulos' investigation and the target of the developing tinnitus drug RL-81, which has been successfully used to prevent the induction of tinnitus in mice.

The standard dosage of Epidiolex is as follows:
      • 2.5 mg/kg PO BID initially; after 1 week, may increase to maintenance dose of 5 mg/kg BID
      • If 5 mg/kg BID tolerated and further seizure reduction required, patient may benefit from a dosage increase up to a maximum recommended maintenance dosage of 10 mg/kg BID (ie, 20 mg/kg/day)
      • Increasing to 10 mg/kg BID may be achieved by increased weekly increments of 2.5 mg/kg BID, as tolerated
      • If a more rapid titration from 10 mg/kg/day to 20 mg/kg/day is warranted, the dosage may be increased no more frequently than every other day
      • Administration of the 20-mg/kg/day dosage resulted in somewhat greater reductions in seizure rates than the recommended maintenance dosage of 10 mg/kg/day, but with an increase in adverse reactions.
      I've ordered an appropriate dosage of CBD isolate powder from the United Kingdom this morning. I am planning on mixing it with MCT oil and creating a tincture. I hope the package is sent on its way as soon as possible. I'll report about my experiences in this thread. Feel free to comment, ask questions, and report your own experiences too.

Further information, risks and side effects

• Like Like x 7
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. CRGC

CRGC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SNRI/Noise
      Very interesting! Thanks for the post. Will be following this.

• Like Like x 1
    3. BrysonKingMe

BrysonKingMe Member

I think another reason that there are such mixed results are some products are created using the hemp plant, and other products are created using marijuana. I'm assuming you have purchased hemp CBD as you are in the UK. I believe the research paper you linked uses "cannabis sativa", which is marijuana.

I have yet to find CBD oil that is created from marijuana, but includes zero THC, which always spiked my y, even when it was super mild. I'll look around, I'm in a legal state.

I just purchased a 50:1 CBD/THC, mixed in MCT oil (made from marijuana). I have previously vaped CBD/THC oil in a 25:1 ratio, but it didn't have any noticeable effect, so I figured I'd try a tincture.

I started with 16 mg earlier today and plan to take another 16 mg before bed tonight.

My reasoning for purchasing this is because I read the same article on how CBD can be a potassium channel opener, so interesting that you have posted this today.

I'll let you know if I see any changes.

EDIT #1:

To add to this, it looks like the drug you linked is made from marijuana, not hemp. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know the differences between CBD from hemp and marijuana, if there is a difference.

FDA Approves First Drug Comprised of an Active Ingredient Derived from Marijuana to Treat Rare, Severe Forms of Epilepsy

EDIT #2:

I misread your comment, I don't know where you are but you ordered from the UK, so probably hemp. Again I don't know if this even matters.

EDIT #3:

Cannabis sativa can be both hemp and marijuana.

The research paper you posted says cannabis sativa, but does not say anything about hemp or marijuana specifically. The link I posted, referencing Epidiolex, says Epidiolex is derived from marijuana.

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      StoneInFocus
      Fine

StoneInFocus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing damage, ear infections
      In the study on potassium channels CBD isolate was used, or in other words pure cannabidiol. CBD is a cannabinoid on its own. There is no difference between CBD extracted from marijuana plant and CBD from a hemp plant. Epidiolex is pure cannabidiol.

I know the whole thing is kind of confusing. The typical "CBD" oil you find in the drug store is extracted from industrial hemp, which contains other cannabinoids and trace amounts of THC as well. CBD isolate exists in the form of powder or crystals and is the result of a second extraction.

• Like Like x 1
    5. JPGL
      Frustrated

JPGL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss? Noise? Stress? Unknown
      Does Epidiolex need to be prescribed by a doctor?